April 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So um second monthly question if you don't mind me asking: what's your favourite show to binge during lock down!
    I'm on a startrek kick, watching TNG, currently up to season 3. And almost finished Picard. Also catching up on Outlander. Ohhh no kids around, maybe I should finally watch Breaking Bad. What service is it on?

We just watched all 10 episodes of Picard and now, circling back to the Doctor. We are only on season 11 so have some to work through.

Excellent choices. Hmmm 8d happily go back to season 1 of new who, its like comfort food!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,402 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk - that is hilarious but then my first question was 'what does she need a saw for making wipes' 😂

I saw a friend early on on my run this morning (a walker not a runner although she does walk very fast) who was wearing a mask for the 1st time and we talked about it. She said it was making her crazy. Her nose runs all the time (mine too) so she has to lift the mask to take care of that and then the same if she wants a sip of water. She felt like her exposure was worse because she was always having to touch the mask. I am making masks too wear when I have to go to the store or to pick up food or things like that but I will not wear it when I run. I am pretty sure I will suffocate if I did. I am choosing instead to go way out of my way to run where there aren't as many people and I can stay far away from those that are there.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    Morning all. Struggle again this morning, despite glorious sunshine and near empty (7am on Sunday in lockdown) streets. Should have been a joy but I couldn’t clear my mind. I’m nervous about going back to work tomorrow. I feel guilty about having to put my own children at risk by sending them to their school while I look after other key worker children at the school where I teach. And after a while in lockdown it will now feel so strange to be within 2 metres of these kids and my colleagues. Then I feel silly because I know people like @Avidkeo are being so much braver and really putting themselves on the line.

So I guess I was dragging my own mental chains this morning - love the reference @Tramboman! Squeezed in my 3.5m though.

Good wishes to all celebrating Palm Sunday today. Keep safe everyone xx

April goal: 75 miles
    April total: 18.4 miles

1/4: 3.6 miles
    2/4: 3.7 miles
    3/4: 3.5 miles
    4/4: 4.1 miles
    5/4: 3.5 miles

March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0

Hugs! What you are doing is so important too. Thank you for doing what you do.

This whole situation is a complete mind screw. I'm finding my favourite thing is getting out for a run/walk bec3ita one thing I can actually control and hasn't been affected (yet?)
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Sorry about your fal! Glad it wasn’t worse.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    April goal: 80 km

April 1st - 2.5 km
    April 3 - 5.5. km
    April 5 - 8.2 km

Total: 16.2 km

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I went for a 4 mile hike yesterday. We have discovered a few local trails that we’ve never visited, so we are planning to try them over the next few weeks before it gets too hot. It is one of the few things we are still allowed to do outside of the house.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,032 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @shanaber Thanks. Looks like a great place to run and you killed it. I need to get some headphones and try some of the apps I am hearing about - or just listen to music. I think it would make the longer runs easier.

@hanlonsk Hahaha I didn't even see the hacksaw to begin with. I love crime shows, so that is sort of what it looks like - getting ready to do someone in and clean up afterwards. :wink:

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman good job! I think you might be on to something - i read that a shorter stride length. An cause more pain - at least for the IT Band. Can’t remember where I read it- probably some running site - but that’s part of my problem too. How in the world do i lengthen my stride when i am only four feet eleven inches tall? It just feels like my body doesn’t want to do it!

I’m guessing you’re taller than me so maybe figuring it out and fixing it will be easier for you!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @Tramboman good job! I think you might be on to something - i read that a shorter stride length. An cause more pain - at least for the IT Band. Can’t remember where I read it- probably some running site - but that’s part of my problem too. How in the world do i lengthen my stride when i am only four feet eleven inches tall? It just feels like my body doesn’t want to do it!

I’m guessing you’re taller than me so maybe figuring it out and fixing it will be easier for you!

Thanks for the props.
    You probably have a "regular" stride, and I suspect it shortens and lengthens depending on your speed.
    By way of example, Garmin tells me that my average stride length during my "slow" run this week was .78 meters per stride. During my "easy" run this week, my average stride length was .84 meters per stride. And during my "moderate" run today, my average stride length was .91 meters per stride. Just for giggles, I pulled stats from my Garmin 5k PR. My time was 31:16, and my stride length averaged 1 meter. And I'm 6 feet tall.
    Our height differs, our stride length differs, and our speed differs, but you may also find your stride lengthens the faster you go.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Today was the Cap 10K date. Bummer, but since I couldn't have run it anyway, I will do a virtual 10K ride or 3.

@Tramboman Maybe I'll add some planking while baking....kill 2 birds with one stone sorta thing. And interesting about your stride length. I do tend to have a short stride. I am wondering if maybe when I am cleared to run again if I should get some running help to see how my stride is and if I can "improve" it to prevent future issues.

@hanlonsk That picture is so funny....I had the same thought about the hack saw. It reminded me of a really morbid story that happened here in Austin years ago where a UT student on drugs killed his girlfriend then went to the store and bought bleach and a hack saw to take care of things....

@Camaramandy648 Nice run! I am impressed with your IT Band plan.

@Avidkeo As for your question: We are finally back into catching up on Outlander. So good...and oddly uncomfortable with our adult children around. We watch when they are not around lol. And we finally tried watching Tiger King....OMG. My husband lasted 5 minutes and was gone. I don't think I can finish it. Tragically, grotesquely entertaining. And we are watching NCIS from the very beginning.

4/1 - 14 miles
    4/2 - 18 miles
    4/3 - 17 miles
    4/4 – 18 miles
    4/5 - Run/Ride - heading out soon.

Total Bike Mileage: 67 miles
  • Tramboman
    Options
    bearly63 wrote: »
    Today was the Cap 10K date. Bummer, but since I couldn't have run it anyway, I will do a virtual 10K ride or 3.

@Tramboman Maybe I'll add some planking while baking....kill 2 birds with one stone sorta thing. And interesting about your stride length. I do tend to have a short stride. I am wondering if maybe when I am cleared to run again if I should get some running help to see how my stride is and if I can "improve" it to prevent future issues.

@hanlonsk That picture is so funny....I had the same thought about the hack saw. It reminded me of a really morbid story that happened here in Austin years ago where a UT student on drugs killed his girlfriend then went to the store and bought bleach and a hack saw to take care of things....

@Camaramandy648 Nice run! I am impressed with your IT Band plan.

@Avidkeo As for your question: We are finally back into catching up on Outlander. So good...and oddly uncomfortable with our adult children around. We watch when they are not around lol. And we finally tried watching Tiger King....OMG. My husband lasted 5 minutes and was gone. I don't think I can finish it. Tragically, grotesquely entertaining. And we are watching NCIS from the very beginning.

4/1 - 14 miles
    4/2 - 18 miles
    4/3 - 17 miles
    4/4 – 18 miles
    4/5 - Run/Ride - heading out soon.

Total Bike Mileage: 67 miles

Please keep in mind that I am no expert on stride. I'm just another older runner.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 i am so so so so sorry for your loss! Please please be safe
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    How heartbreaking @scott6255. Wishing you strength for all the challenges you and your wife are facing. Thinking of you x
  • Tramboman
    Options
    @Scott6255 Sorry for your loss.