April 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Got my 5 miles in!! ♡
    Question for the more experienced runners.
    Is coughing after a run normal? Not wheezing, but actual coughing. I can breathe fine. Its like phlegm deep in the chest but it's hard to get it to come up. And not for a couple minutes either, it usually lasts anywhere from a few hours to a day or two.
    I thought it was just a part of running and I've jokingly called it runner's cough. I mentioned it to my dad, who was a long distance runner for most of my childhood until he got injured, and he looked at me like I was crazy and asked what I was talking about.

No. :)

It may just be allergies though. Being outside more means more pollen. Do you notice it only at certain times of the year? Or is worse some times and better others? Does temperature matter?

It also MIGHT be mild asthma.

Normally I would say ask your doctor, but given the times we live in, I suggest you wait a few months on that. Showing up to the docs with an unexplained cough right now might get a swab jammed up your nose. :smiley:

Or not. Dh was telling me a story of someone with cv symptoms and they were turned away and told to call the cdc. I don’t know protocol, but do know there’s a hotline. Just if I can’t breath, I’d figure they know what to do and not be told to go home. But I wasn’t there, so this is hearsay, or is it conjecture? Stalling. Need to study for 2 awful exams mon and tues.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Got my 5 miles in!! ♡
    Is coughing after a run normal? Not wheezing, but actual coughing. I can breathe fine. Its like phlegm deep in the chest but it's hard to get it to come up. And not for a couple minutes either, it usually lasts anywhere from a few hours to a day or two.
    I thought it was just a part of running and I've jokingly called it runner's cough. I mentioned it to my dad, who was a long distance runner for most of my childhood until he got injured, and he looked at me like I was crazy and asked what I was talking about.

It may just be allergies though. Being outside more means more pollen. Do you notice it only at certain times of the year? Or is worse some times and better others? Does temperature matter?

Normally I would say ask your doctor, but given the times we live in, I suggest you wait a few months on that. Showing up to the docs with an unexplained cough right now might get a swab jammed up your nose. :smiley:

Or not. Dh was telling me a story of someone with cv symptoms and they were turned away and told to call the cdc. I don’t know protocol, but do know there’s a hotline. Just if I can’t breath, I’d figure they know what to do and not be told to go home. But I wasn’t there, so this is hearsay, or is it conjecture? Stalling. Need to study for 2 awful exams mon and tues.

It's one of the big issues here in NZ. If people don't fit the profile perfectly, they aren't getting tested. I get the concern though, we can only test about 3000 people a day, but if we test everyone who wants to be tested, then we will run out of tests in only a couple days and can't test when needed. But the worry is thet we are missing lots of people who have it that don't fit exactly. Just yesterday they opened out testing to anyone with symptoms. Will see what happens.

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,724 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    After work I headed to our little park and ran 3.10 miles on the trail. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon and about 65F. I was afraid there might be people out and about but I was the only one on the trail. One guy that I knew was shooting basketball and we talked from a distance which was nice. First person I had talked to face to face in a few days.

@quilteryoyo - great cross training!

@autumnblade75 - so nice of you to sew those masks. I’m sure they will be greatly appreciated.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Got my 5 miles in!! ♡

Testing in USA is spotty. Here we literally have drive through testing locations where anyone can be tested for free (they will bill insurance if you have it) but I have heard of other areas where there are not testing at all.

UPMC announced they have a vaccine ready for human trials so that could be very good news!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I don't think I'll make a goal this month. Now that I've cut back the running from 50 miles per week to less than 5 over the last 2 weeks, my "runner's knee" is acting up. I'm sure that's how this is supposed to work.

I might run tomorrow, or not. I hope I don't lose all my fitness before my mojo returns. I have a contact at a home health care facility to donate masks to, and they're looking for another 800. So, at least I'm keeping busy. (They don't expect me to provide all 800 of them, but I'm looking forward to making as many as I can...)

Thats great! Those that can sew are going to be very busy for a while!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @Avidkeo well done!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    3.5 miles today, shortest run this week!
    vt9ekaq55rr2.jpg
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile - ouch that looks sore! I had three falls in two weeks in May last year on broken pavements. It sucks! I bought new trainers after the third fall and it didn’t happen again - are your shoes ok/still have enough grip?

@avidkeo - awesome run!

It’s a stunning morning here in London and I went for a slightly longer run. I felt like I could have gone even further but I also want to keep up this daily streak so I’m being mindful about not getting too ambitious with distance or speed. Feels good to have got it done early and not have bumped into many other runners. With gorgeous weather forecast this weekend there’s been speculation that people will flout the lockdown, and police are likely to be out enforcing it. I’m taking essential supplies to my parents tomorrow and hope I don’t have any difficulty...

Have a safe and happy Saturday everyone x

April goal: 75 miles
    April total: 14.9 miles

1/4: 3.6 miles
    2/4: 3.7 miles
    3/4: 3.5 miles
    4/4: 4.1 miles

March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,004 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Glad your fall wasn't any more serious and that your leggings survived. It does look painful though.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    4-1 7k easy
    4-2 7k easy
    4-3 8k slow
    4-4 7k moderate

April Total: 29k
    April Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k

2020 Total through March: 509k

Clear and frosty yet again this morning with little wind. Channeled my inner "Ghost of Jacob Marley" today - didn't run light and quick like a spirit, but felt like I was dragging "the chains I forged in life" behind me. Hip wasn't bad, though...

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

5-23 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson OH
    6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH