April 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Liking all the raccoon stories, I don't have any.

Welcome again to the newcomers.

6.9 miles today. Felt good even though it was a wind chill of 41F (the winds were strong today!)
    This roller coaster weather is crazy. I was in shorts and tank the other day. Today tights and long sleeve warmish half zip.
    Not as crowded in the morning as it gets here. I think people are coming after 10 or so and then it's packed all day.
    I'm just glad I get my run in in the mornings. If people continue not following guidelines, it may be longer than 30 more days.

On the plus side, local restaurants are offering discounts, and we are doing our part to help them out.
    Have a yummy dinner order placed for curbside pick up later!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you @Scott6255 . I know that was a very hard decision to make. I hope you all remain healthy!

This. Sorry man, you have a tough road to walk ahead of you even without COVID-19.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Love the raccoon stories and pics! The closest thing I have is one that walks by my security cameras a couple-few times a month. The coon comes by around 1 or 2 am, so unlikely will ever see them.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    So after a very good Jan and a very wobbly Feb. March was just a complete fail. I am really very annoyed with myself. But I just don't want to run.

April is another chance. But if I can't stick April, its probably curtains.

1 April...5k, morning routine and Weights.

Here will be some unpopular advice. If you do not want to run, then do not. Find another way to be active that you want to do. Running is a great choice for lots of reasons, but it is not for everyone. You need to find what is right for you and do that.

I totally agree with this. If you really don't enjoy running then there are plenty of other types of exercise. Life is too short to do things that make you miserable.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you @Scott6255 . I know that was a very hard decision to make. I hope you all remain healthy!

This. Sorry man, you have a tough road to walk ahead of you even without COVID-19.

I agree with this too. You are in a really tough situation. I hope you all stay well.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    8.2 miles today
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    yall see the memes thread? ha! Its MY 600LB LIFE doc!
    idsetaqcp2j7.jpg

oh no run, 'cept to the bathroom a few times. no walk. days over and I still did nothing all day. I did look up the Peloton bike. Nah. I don't wanna spend that much PLUS a monthly subscription. Road bike on the trainer cost half that and no monthly fee.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @scott6255 so sorry to hear that!! I hope you can keep everyone safe ❤️

@quilteryoyo I love NCIS. I could run a marathon staring at Gibbs.

@shanaber agree....I used to ride a beach cruiser from my house in Costa Mesa down to the beach in Newport- lots of hills and no gears! The good ol days!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 hoping you all remain healthy and you are able to safely care for your aunt. What a hard and scary situation. Thinking of you.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    04/01/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 5.0

First run of April was speedwork, done on my own at the track. The track I wanted to go to was closed, which it wasn't last week, so I was disappointed because it is usually pretty empty. I headed to another track and it was open. Signs around to adhere to social distancing and governor's orders, but open. There were only a handful of people there mid-afternoon so the distancing was pretty easy.

The workout coach gave us this week to do on our own was 1 minute intervals. 1 minute hard, 1 minute easy, repeat times 12. I did about 10 minutes warmup and then added on to my cooldown to get to 5 miles. This is the speedwork that I dread the least, the short intervals, so it was a decent one to do alone and I think my pace was pretty comparable or even slightly better than what did last time I did this workout with my coach and group.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Is there anything worse than having it be absolutely gorgeous on a planned rest day? (I mean, yes, there is stuff that is worse, but this is one of my pet peeves). I usually can't resist temptation and wind up moving the rest day so I can get a run in.
    @janejellyroll - yah - I ended up doing a short Peloton strength workout and then going for a short run/walk with the pup. It was just too pretty out to not get out there. Oh and it is supposed to start raining in the next few days again so I am going to take advantage of the nice weather as much as I can!

@Scott6255 - Definitely sending you lots of hugs! That is such a tough situation.

@username301 - I agree with @pastorvincent but with a caveat. Is it that you really don't want or like to run? Or is it that it is hard, you get sweaty, you hate the treadmill, you don't like running alone or just that the first mile is terrible? If you really don't want or like to run then I agree find something else you like to do that will get your HR up.
    If it is any of the 2nd set of possibilities then try changing things up, where you run (get outside, in a park, somewhere with fun things to look at or watch some interesting program if you are stuck running on a treadmill); or who you run with (find a group or just a running buddy to run with); or find an interesting podcast to get into or some music you love to get you moving.

@elise4270 - you might check out the Peloton app and try some of the workouts on your bike. It is free for 90 days. I don't know what just the app costs, guess I will check that out at the end of June. In the meantime I did a couple of the workouts today (a strength one and a running one that I mostly listened too and walked). They are fun have good music and I found it pretty motivating. The strength one was only 30 mins, moved pretty fast and would have been better if I had watched first and knew what to expect but it was good and I will definitely do it again.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 That’s really rough. Caring for someone with dementia is super stressful to begin with, and then add the worries of keeping isolation... thinking of you.

My husband and I did 7 something miles in the neighborhood, at least 5 were running. We went to the little patch of woods we are looking at for trails and explored some. Heard owls, saw a bunny, saw a deer. Found a little lake with two nesting geese who were very angry at being disturbed. It’s very rough back there, not sure what is people trail, what is deer track, and what is creek bed. Runnable though. I don’t know how many people go there at the best of times, but today we were all alone with no footprints anywhere, only a single bike had been there since the last time it rained.

There was a ton of traffic on the way to and from. I think people are mentally sick of isolation.

Melanie’s horses were up at the fence on the way back. Sorry, guys, no treats here!
    We found a chimney!
    rn6754ri7ny8.jpeg
    90wwgakzzoxf.jpeg

Saw this chalked on the road on the way back.
    ytw0pajdktel.jpeg

Does anyone know what this plant is? I’m terrible at identifying plants. It was all over near the chimney.
    h2afqg5n956c.jpeg
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 - what an awful situation and what a wonderful family you are to step in. Wishing you all well.

@hanlonsk - you sound like you are making all the right calls for your employees and I wish you had the support from management you deserve. I hear you on the infection control front. I’m back in school next week to teach 5-11 year olds (children of essential workers can still go to school here) and to be honest it feels pretty futile trying to stay infection free when you are frequently sneezed on or touched by grubby little hands (and I mean that affectionately). Then home to my own two who will have been at their school. I’ll do my best but I’m guessing there will be glitter a plenty, to use that analogy.

@avidkeo I’m eating everything too 😬 and @Elise4270 yup, no excuses! Love that meme!!

Around 6k again today. I’m aiming to do 40 minutes every day which lands me at about that distance so actually well in line for the marathon a week challenge @katharmonic (I think it was yours) I will try and keep up!

April goal: 75 miles
    April total: 7.3 miles

1/4: 3.6 miles
    2/4: 3.7 miles

March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 That’s really rough. Caring for someone with dementia is super stressful to begin with, and then add the worries of keeping isolation... thinking of you.

My husband and I did 7 something miles in the neighborhood, at least 5 were running. We went to the little patch of woods we are looking at for trails and explored some. Heard owls, saw a bunny, saw a deer. Found a little lake with two nesting geese who were very angry at being disturbed. It’s very rough back there, not sure what is people trail, what is deer track, and what is creek bed. Runnable though. I don’t know how many people go there at the best of times, but today we were all alone with no footprints anywhere, only a single bike had been there since the last time it rained.

There was a ton of traffic on the way to and from. I think people are mentally sick of isolation.

Melanie’s horses were up at the fence on the way back. Sorry, guys, no treats here!
    We found a chimney!
    rn6754ri7ny8.jpeg
    90wwgakzzoxf.jpeg

Saw this chalked on the road on the way back.
    ytw0pajdktel.jpeg

Does anyone know what this plant is? I’m terrible at identifying plants. It was all over near the chimney.
    h2afqg5n956c.jpeg

Those are May apples.