Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited April 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT70BPRxTF8&feature=youtu.be

Sooo easy. I'm placing a coffee filter underneath with safety pins.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I have a question............where is the logic of shutting down certain aisles in stores such as WalMart? I'm sure their reasoning is sound, but everybody I've talked with says the same thing. Now they're going to be shoving more people into less room/ Unless they're also limiting number of consumers? And toys? I know adults are on the prowl for new and different things to do; wouldn't it make sense kids might be getting ultra bored too? Wouldn't buying toys be as essential as, oh say,....stocking up on soda, chips, or something?

No disagreeing necessary, just asking a question for opinions. :)

They aren't doing that here...but my guess would be to curb "joy shopping" and people just getting out of the house to browse around Wal-Mart and such.

What they're doing here as of 8 AM this morning is limiting the number of people in the store to 20% of capacity which means if you need to go get something it's probably actually going to be an essential need because you'll likely be waiting in a line outside the store to get in. I haven't seen much of an issue in regards to large numbers of people when I go to the regular grocery store or even Costco, but I've driven by the Walmart parking lot a few times and it looks like the week before Christmas or something, so I was kind of expecting these people limits to come down the pipe.

I have also heard complaints from other non-essential retailers that it isn't fair that they have to shut down, but Walmart and Target can continue to sell those "non-essential" items.

I'm reasonably sure that "joy shopping" can't be stopped. I seriously spent probably fifteen or twenty minutes looking at baby/kid clothes at Target last week, just to have something to do. I don't have kids. I don't even know anyone who has kids. But it was there, it was retail and it wasn't my *kitten* apartment. Today is going to be liquor store day and I can't decide whether I should walk or drive so I can bring more home. I am also extremely likely to examine every bottle of wine and spirits they have, just to kill an hour outside my prison. And hopefully find every clerk in the store to deeply discuss drink options with. I stay home for as long as I can stand it, but every chance I have to get out where actual living human people are is stretched out to the utmost justifiable limit. They can shut down whatever aisles they want, limit the numbers inside as much as they want, but for a lot of folks, that's our only connection with actual people and I will soak up every single second and then hoard the memory for days. Text and FaceTime are moderately adequate to try and connect, but there's nothing like the feeling of being around PEOPLE. And stores are just about the only places left that have PEOPLE in them.
    I'm isolating with my husband and two teenagers. I imagine isolating alone would be much harder and really feel for everyone in that situation. At least I have other people to interact with - even if they do annoy me occasionally; for the most part, we get along very well though. Plus we have the advantage of a yard and two outbuildings so we aren't stuck staring at each other all day.

Lowe's appears to be the joy shopping destination in my town. I get it. The weather is perfect for gardening and all those home tasks they suddenly have time for. It's really defeating the purpose, though...

This is just FTR, not to criticize anyone else or minimize their experience in any way at all. Humans are varied, and that variety is a wonderful thing about the world.

Whether isolating alone is hard(er) is a very individual thing. I live alone, only shopped once since 3/13, talked to a neighbor one day from a long distance, and a friend similarly on another day, and that's my in-person social contact (other than "good afternoon" or a hand wave to strangers when out for a walk). Happy as a clam.

I'm isolating with people and it's harder for me than isolating alone. I'm used to being alone while they're at work, now I feel like I've lost my "alone time" and I miss it. I can go and be alone in another room, but it isn't the same as having the entire house to myself. I'm feeling a bit suffocated, but it's not as bad as I thought. I have gone out twice in the last 30 days and only because I had to. I have never shopped for the sake of shopping, so joy shopping is a foreign concept to me. I understand it, but I can't comprehend it.

As in introvert, isolating alone would be a piece of cake. If this happened pre-wife and kids, I would be fine, I would probably have read 15 books, played 100 games of chess on the internet, and burned a lot more calories exercising over the past month.

Being quarantined with two young kids is very stressful at times. Especially when most of our neighborhood thinks that social isolating is discretionary and only necessary if it is convenient. A neighbor mom had a birthday yesterday, and 20 neighbors and their kids all gathered outside of her house to sing to her, then essentially had a block party for an hour. My kids weren't allowed, and both had serious meltdowns, it was awful (one mom had an Easter bunny costume "why can't we see the Easter bunny?"). We are definitely the meanest parents on the block - hopefully they will appreciate our efforts someday, but right now it is completely thankless.

Good job on protecting your kids, even if you had to enforce tough love. I read today on line Pink's description of her infection and battle with CONV-19, and of her 3 years old son's ordeal. It sounded terrifying :'( .

(https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/entertainment/pink-coronavirus/index.html).
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    My grandmother's birthday is this week. She will be 92. Tomorrow we will be gathering a number of cars to drive past where she lives. Everyone will make signs and decorate their cars. A little birthday parade while still social distancing! We even have permission from our cities taskforce to do this.

My neighborhood is going to have the teachers drive through today and honk and their kids on the front porches waving to them. At 3 PM. Yeah, I could grumble a bit about working through it from home, but I won't. Teachers are very important to kids and vice versa. I hope they have a blast. I might even peak out for a bit though my kids haven't been school aged in years.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    So the state came out with their recommendation a couple days ago about wearing masks when going out into public...ie stores, running errands, etc. Yesterday evening I went to Costco and I saw what I would estimate to be about 70% compliance with this recommendation (including myself) from both our governor, CDC, and the national government at large...also saw a ton of face touching to adjust masks, etc. which seems to be defeatist.

Also, as I thought would happen, the governor has just had to come out with a reminder that while the CDC and the state recommends masks as an additional measure to possibly curb things, it doesn't discount social distancing and staying at home, washing hands, etc...she had to do that because people are all, "we got masks...everything is fine" and more movement has been noted. I figured that would happen. That was my biggest worry with masks...not that they couldn't provide a bit more protection, though I still feel it's nominal...but that it could actually make things worse because more people going out and feeling "safe" and more people touching the crap out of their face while they adjust their mask after they've had their hands all over shopping carts and other things.

This is why NZ has thus far not been recommending masks for the general populace. If people feel safer and become more complacent as a result, then all the hard work is easily undone. I did wear one for my last grocery shop, and will for future ones, but I made sure that I know how to put it on and take it off properly, and I don't fiddle with it.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    So the state came out with their recommendation a couple days ago about wearing masks when going out into public...ie stores, running errands, etc. Yesterday evening I went to Costco and I saw what I would estimate to be about 70% compliance with this recommendation (including myself) from both our governor, CDC, and the national government at large...also saw a ton of face touching to adjust masks, etc. which seems to be defeatist.

Also, as I thought would happen, the governor has just had to come out with a reminder that while the CDC and the state recommends masks as an additional measure to possibly curb things, it doesn't discount social distancing and staying at home, washing hands, etc...she had to do that because people are all, "we got masks...everything is fine" and more movement has been noted. I figured that would happen. That was my biggest worry with masks...not that they couldn't provide a bit more protection, though I still feel it's nominal...but that it could actually make things worse because more people going out and feeling "safe" and more people touching the crap out of their face while they adjust their mask after they've had their hands all over shopping carts and other things.

This is why NZ has thus far not been recommending masks for the general populace. If people feel safer and become more complacent as a result, then all the hard work is easily undone. I did wear one for my last grocery shop, and will for future ones, but I made sure that I know how to put it on and take it off properly, and I don't fiddle with it.

I've got to force myself to wear a mask into the stores. :( So far, I've been lazy about it. I keep a huge distance between myself and others. I have 2 different masks and they either don't stay on my nose or the elastic keeps popping off an ear. I think I must be built funny or different because I don't see anyone else having to adjust their masks all the time. :( Compliance here seems to be about 30%. But I do feel it's increased the last week or so. Gloves, not so much.