WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    SuziQ: Beautiful salad. I LOVE the Easter Bunny. :bigsmile: He knows how to give useful gifts! :star:

Rebecca: Happy shopping! :smiley:

We had a good day today. I did some shopping and rode my recumbent tryke in the garage to burn calories. The weather was pretty and we had the chance to see the osprey family that is nesting across the river from us.

I’m about two thirds though a novel that I checked out of Library-to-Go. I’m enjoying the read.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

2-3 rolls of TP a week??? Ok I’m under performing… 2 squares per #1, 3 squares for each wipe of #2 sometimes more than one wipe… A roll is lasting 10-18 days….

Kim from N. California

Part of me doesn't want to ask and part of me does ... how is that even possible?

But then, I've always been 'digestively active', especially if I consume dairy products, peanuts or peas, citrus fruits, and vit C.

SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Luci – I am putting this in a spoiler because it is a little personal. Here is how I have been coping with conserving of TP….and, after typing this out I saw you scored! Yeah….keeping it in here for conservation ideas.
    After three weeks of conserving TP I started thinking, heck if I trimmed my hair there would be less accumulation. I typically do keep it short during bathing suit time and have a small cordless hair trimmer (one made for men’s beards they are much smaller than the hair trimmer ones). I trimmed everything down and have found I only need 4-5 sheets of TP and one or two wipes and I am good to go.

Yes ... plus vanity. If I have to go to the hospital at some point, I'd rather not look like I let myself go! :grin:

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    SuzieQ, What is bathing suit season??lol Weather on this island never gets above 70'. I don't even own a suit anymore. I miss the hot hot days of Northern California!!!
    💖Rebecca
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Patti! Welcome! We all need all the mental company we can find at times. Glad to see you here. We are a VERY chatty group right now. Follow along, and chime in if you’re so moved!

Penny, I can’t quite make out what the animal is in your top photo. My phone screen is too small to see it well. Also, Thanks for the great marinade recipe for salmon. Sounds like something just up my alley.

Julie Bananas, late last year when my grandson moved in with me (he’s not living here during the virus!) I noticed my tp use had more than doubled. A roll (normal size) lasts me a week, and guys don’t have the pat-dry need that gals do. He was using a huge amount because he’s germ-phobic, I found out. I’m glad he’s back at his mom’s during this.

Heather, you sound very heartened by your Zoom visit with the littles. It must also have been lovely to reconnect with a good friend. It always amazes me how talking with our truest friends just picks up in the same spirit as when we left off, no matter the months or even years intervening. You lighten my spirits just by association. Edie’s artistic efforts are quite charming. I like the embellishments she adds to what could have been a pretty mundane paint job!

Hippymax - Welcome to this bunch! I’m assuming you’re staying hydrated. You sound as if you’re getting a great amount of exercise. Sometimes the measuring tape is a better gauge of progress than the scale. Stalls of several weeks aren’t uncommon. Persevere! It’ll come down!

SuzyQ, and on Day17, will it be “‘Scuse me while I sweep the sky!”? Oh! I LOVE the head-and-face mask, lol! And your dinner looks seriously delicious!

Oh, Margaret! I’m afraid I would be sadly put out about that! So heedless of everyone else’s comfort. I encountered some similar passive aggressive behavior, a real rarity from him, from my husband one Thanksgiving. I found out it went back to him being born during the Depression. His mom prided herself on what she could do without long after things had changed. Allan never did it again after I’d wound up in tears from my disappointment. He did care, but he needed to understand just why it had hurt me so.

Flea, i both read and watched Game of Thrones. That poem casts for me the feeling of foreboding that I have sometimes. Thanks for posting it.

Life is good! I got three tough returns finished today at work, which frees me up to work on a couple of even tougher ones Sunday and Monday. I’m slowly beginning to get back some of the 10# I lost so abruptly after my surgery. Adding protein powder to some drinks helps, but I DID just love some Egg Fu Yung I grabbed last night and finished today. One of my favorites!

Happy Whatever Your Spring Celebration is. I had fun watching a live of my daughter and grandson dying eggs and later playing Candyland for the first time.

Keep well, all! I hope you find some joy in the solitude, and some healing in the quiet.

Sharon Near Seattle
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Kim - I sent you a PM. Many thanks!
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Machka,
    Oh, how I wish Smokey would have adapted to a harness and leash. Not all cats adapt. I think being born a feral makes him uncomfortable with the whole idea.

Your vanity comment made me laugh for various reasons. The first being my mom telling me to never go out with holes in my undies just in case I may be in an accident and ended up in the hospital. I used to say to her, "Mom, you do realize they cut your clothes off when you are in an accident.". My poor mom with her daughter who always had to have to last word. She could not argue with my logic. It also brought to mind the check up I had about 5 days after 911. The GYN just asked me to slide down (we all know the drill) and he started talking to me about the course of events. Mind you he is sitting at this point and my knees are up and I am in position looking at him between my legs. After about a minute or so of this he says, "I like to think we are doing our part by protecting the vaginas of the world." I said to him, "Well that's one way of looking at it, can we can on with the exam, I would be much more comfortable talking to you while sitting up.". I really wasn't uncomfortable but seriously while my legs are up and spread!! And, I did mention during another exam, sorry I am not cleaned up down there and the midwife (I prefer midwives or nurse practitioners - I feel not as rushed) let me know if I only knew what she has seen I would never apologize for being natural. In all honesty I have always preferred to be neat and it is especially important here in hot and humid Florida where it is best to keep things nice and cool in that area. Especially if one is prone to yeast infections.

Yes, working remote does improves one's health. In my office we all say the same thing when we get back from a weekend, geez I only sneeze when I walk in to this place. There are so many "sick" buildings. Most cause mild symptoms and there are some where people get seriously ill. With no fresh air we are sitting in a big airplane with recycled air. I will say the building owners do the best they can - air filters are changed constantly and there is a huge CO2 fan that runs daily. But imagine the skin cells, hair, germs, etc. floating around. At least in our homes it is ours. If I really thought about it I would never go back in to the office again! :smiley:

I am so happy you found Rhody. He seems to have captured your heart.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    There are so many things to be thankful for this morning.
    • I am grateful to have awakened to another sweet day.
    • I am grateful for the means to make a wonderful Easter dinner this evening.
    • I am grateful to have found all of the essentials I need to make it through the next 3-6 months without worry.
    • I am grateful for my friend Mari. We can call each other infrequently and it is never awkward. We can go months without speaking and when we do speak it feels like we spoke yesterday.
    • I am grateful for all of you and the sharing of your lives.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Flea - that poem was amazing. Thank you.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka,
    Oh, how I wish Smokey would have adapted to a harness and leash. Not all cats adapt. I think being born a feral makes him uncomfortable with the whole idea.

The first of my three previous cats was so incredibly NOT interested in a harness and leash so I don't recall trying with the other two.

But Rhody seems quite interested in looking outside so we thought we'd give it a go. He seemed fairly relaxed when we put the harness on and as soon as we opened the door, he was off and running ... I had to try to keep up!! :grin:

I suspect he's used a harness before and I also suspect that if we jingle it, he may show interest. :)

Your vanity comment made me laugh for various reasons. The first being my mom telling me to never go out with holes in my undies just in case I may be in an accident and ended up in the hospital. I used to say to her, "Mom, you do realize they cut your clothes off when you are in an accident.". My poor mom with her daughter who always had to have to last word. She could not argue with my logic. It also brought to mind the check up I had about 5 days after 911. The GYN just asked me to slide down (we all know the drill) and he started talking to me about the course of events. Mind you he is sitting at this point and my knees are up and I am in position looking at him between my legs. After about a minute or so of this he says, "I like to think we are doing our part by protecting the vaginas of the world." I said to him, "Well that's one way of looking at it, can we can on with the exam, I would be much more comfortable talking to you while sitting up.". I really wasn't uncomfortable but seriously while my legs are up and spread!! And, I did mention during another exam, sorry I am not cleaned up down there and the midwife (I prefer midwives or nurse practitioners - I feel not as rushed) let me know if I only knew what she has seen I would never apologize for being natural. In all honesty I have always preferred to be neat and it is especially important here in hot and humid Florida where it is best to keep things nice and cool in that area. Especially if one is prone to yeast infections.

Yes!

When my husband was airlifted to the hospital when he had his accident that resulted in a severe brain injury, they cut everything off him. The next day they gave me what was left: his boots, watch, wallet and wedding ring. The rest was gone.

I got somewhat used to being checked down there. In 2015, I was diagnosed with a large polyp which was precancerous. It was removed. Then I had to have internal ultrasounds every 6 months to monitor the situation. In 2017, they discovered another polyp and the early stages of cancer. I had the polyp removed, a D&C, and treatment for the cancer. Then back to ultrasounds every 6 months. I've had technicians, doctors, gynaecologists, and gynaecologic oncologists all checking things out.

Just before this all happened, my GP had suggested I should have another ultrasound and see my gynaecologic oncologist again ... just to make sure things are OK. But that will have to wait.

I too prefer to be neat because of my cycling.

Yes, working remote does improves one's health. In my office we all say the same thing when we get back from a weekend, geez I only sneeze when I walk in to this place. There are so many "sick" buildings. Most cause mild symptoms and there are some where people get seriously ill. With no fresh air we are sitting in a big airplane with recycled air. I will say the building owners do the best they can - air filters are changed constantly and there is a huge CO2 fan that runs daily. But imagine the skin cells, hair, germs, etc. floating around. At least in our homes it is ours. If I really thought about it I would never go back in to the office again! :smiley:

The building managers tell us they clean the ducts ... but I don't think that happens very often. What seems to happen is that it gets worse and worse and we start complaining and finally they tell us that they're going to clean the ducts on the weekend. But it has usually been a long time since the last time we complained and they told us they're going to clean things.

I recall that 2017 was a horrible year for flu. We were cleaning our desk areas regularly and staying home and using hand sanitiser, but we were all so sick on and off for months. Finally the building manager agreed to hire a company to thoroughly clean our offices - steam cleaning the carpets, doing the ducts and everything. I seem to recall they might have done the ducts during the winter of 2018 too, but that's the last time I remember them announcing it.

I'm hoping that this current situation will result in working from home more permanently ... and so much more cleaning!!

I am so happy you found Rhody. He seems to have captured your heart.

:heart:

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,065 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Good morning. I'm so behind!

My scale went rogue! So I changed the batteries, and now it’s back to normal. Gotta reign in the Easter treats! Lol!

xbnd4d7d01ms.gif
    t0iuh6r9r6ee.gif

☘️ Terri
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Happy Easter <3

Viv UK
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Sharon - It was DH who had the long chat yesterday. <3 A lot of people have asked me if I was ever jealous of his "best woman". :D The answer is, not at all. He did not see her that way. Firstly she was 30 years younger, secondly, I trust him. I knew it wasn't that kind of relationship. I think she was a bit worried I wouldn't understand, but I was only too happy for him. He had a similar relationship with another much younger colleague, who was a man. He has moved to Colombia, but, when we have seen him, it's like we've never been apart. Friendship is one thing I am supremely grateful for. I am generally antisocial, but I love my dearest friends with a passion.

Machka- I'm reading that two hospitals in Tasmania have shut down on new cases because they have too many. :/

DH's sister rang this morning to wish us Happy Easter. Her son is a front line nurse and is currently in charge of a palliative care ward for COVID 19 patients at a large hospital. Ugh. :'( So many medical staff are going to end up with PTSD after this. DH's sister is counselling front line staff who are having anxiety problems.

I'm going to post a couple of pics from my phone in a minute. The results of the Easter Egg hunt at my son's.

For lunch we are having blinis with sour cream and faux caviar. AF champagne. B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    edited April 2020
    Options
    SuziQ OK since you brought it up, I think it's fair game to ask just how neat you are down there. I mean, I'm thinking shaving bumps and how on earth do you shave or trim without contorting into a pretzel to see waaaaaaay under there? Inquiring minds want to know.

Karen au naturel in Virginia

vuw9sif8eu8o.png

And the edge of the bathtub. :)

First use little scissors. Then a fresh razor and light touch. Then a hot shower ... shampoo and condition.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    Again Joe invited me to join him and the dogs on the half mile walk to our mailbox, and patiently granted me the 15 mins I need to floss, brush teeth + hair, dress. Great way to start the day. Joe used to be reluctant or impatient for me to join, and I’d be resentful so not go. No idea what gave Joe the grace to change his attitude. This way is soo much better and tops my gratitude list.

Heather 💘 your 5K beach pic!
    Karen sometimes I’m technically challenged too, despite having been onsite network and pc support for 20+ years. Touch screens and anything after Windows 7 bleah! Stunning stock tank reflection pic!
    Machka 💘 the Kathy cartoon, she used to be one of my faves. What a beautiful sky, sunrise or sunset?
    SuziQ rumour has it that Freddies has enough TP that they’re no longer rationing it out from the electronics dept but have returned it to aisle 9.
    Lisa Thanks for the Washington Post pandemic perspective article.
    Barbie “spent the whole class teaching one dance that I knew I would never dance again “ our teacher is urging us to join Dis Dancing Retro Line on FB Tues-Weds-Thurs but the offerings weren’t music I liked or dances I’ll ever do again either.
    Lanette “glitterville” great image!!
    Katla your soil is already warm enough for beans? What kind are you planting?
    Michele prayers for Vince’s heartbeat to steady.
    Annie, Julie et al ((hugs))

Just skimmin’ from Joe’s laptop. Mine’s in the “shop” to troubleshoot the “microphone not detected” issue troubling Zoom sessions.

only through pg 36.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD