Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I was just reading in the news that one of the facilities that is owned by the company I work for had to evacuate a second floor in order to quarantine residents who have tested positive, they weren't expecting it to spread the way it has with how strict everything is and only had 20 beds, now they need 38..

I really hope it doesnt make it to my building because the one that has it right now... it's basically a high rise style building with many many floors..

Ours is 2 floors =/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Just got back from Walmart. Got there right as it was opening and managed to snag some TP! Woot! There wasn't much on the shelf, so I'm sure it is already gone by now. They also had Easter candy at half off... I brought way nore home than I should have. I probably should have eaten before I headed out htis morning. During all this 'stay at home' stuff, I've been trying to create sourdough starter, which is taking a LOT of flour. Part of the process is feeding the starter twice a day for a short time to get it going, so I needed to pick up some flour too. There wasn't very much of it, and I felt a bit wasteful buying it to feed to a starter that I'm having trouble getting to do much. I'm strongly considering stopping this little experiment until things are more normal, which makes me a little sad, since I have so much extra time now and likely won't later. :( What are y'all doing to pass the time? I have work for 8 hours each day, exercise, cooking and I'm working on a Masters Degree, so homework. But other ideas are always welcome.

I'm so glad I jumped on the gardening bandwagon (I was already planning to garden and did last year, but am getting more elaborate this year) instead of the sourdough one. I don't think I have the patience for sourdough. I've always meant to try making kombucha and yogurt and kimchi, so those are on my list of possible projects, however.

Sounds like you are full up! For myself, in addition to work and exercise and obsessing about my garden, I've also decided to experiment with the kitchen appliances I rarely use, and am taking an online German class, and just started trying to figure out a family history project to work on. (I actually started this by thinking it would be fun to see the effect of the 1918 flu on my family, but it seems like none of my ancestors, siblings, children, etc. died from it.) I also have plenty to do to just finish organizing a few closets and getting rid of stuff -- back to the "does it spark joy" thing ;-) -- even if the actual getting rid of will have to wait in some cases.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    There is some work being done outside my house. I think it's part of the ongoing city project to replace aging water mains and sewer lines, so good that it's being done, but it's loud (off and on). Under normal circumstances, of course, I would be at work and not able to hear it.

I realize this is a very minor complaint.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @JustSomeEm
    You can use discard starter in recipes.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-crumpets-recipe

What recipe are you using for the starter? There lots of different ways to get one going.

Regarding what has been keeping me busy? Gardening and sewing.

THANK YOU for the recipe. I'll try those the next time I feed the starter. With two teenage boys in the house, they won't go to waste. I tried to make focaccia bread with some of the discard, but it turned out super-terrible and its made me leary of trying again.
    Athijade wrote: »
    :( What are y'all doing to pass the time? I have work for 8 hours each day, exercise, cooking and I'm working on a Masters Degree, so homework. But other ideas are always welcome.

I am also working from home for 8 hours a day. If I have the energy I am cooking, but my depression has been making it hard. I also finally have picked up writing again and am working on the trilogy I started so long ago. It's a good outlet and something I enjoy doing which I really need right now.

Writing is a fantastic outlet. :) The sudden changes and weirdness has thrown us all for a loop. Sending hugs to you @Athijade

lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Just got back from Walmart. Got there right as it was opening and managed to snag some TP! Woot! There wasn't much on the shelf, so I'm sure it is already gone by now. They also had Easter candy at half off... I brought way nore home than I should have. I probably should have eaten before I headed out htis morning. During all this 'stay at home' stuff, I've been trying to create sourdough starter, which is taking a LOT of flour. Part of the process is feeding the starter twice a day for a short time to get it going, so I needed to pick up some flour too. There wasn't very much of it, and I felt a bit wasteful buying it to feed to a starter that I'm having trouble getting to do much. I'm strongly considering stopping this little experiment until things are more normal, which makes me a little sad, since I have so much extra time now and likely won't later. :( What are y'all doing to pass the time? I have work for 8 hours each day, exercise, cooking and I'm working on a Masters Degree, so homework. But other ideas are always welcome.

I'm so glad I jumped on the gardening bandwagon (I was already planning to garden and did last year, but am getting more elaborate this year) instead of the sourdough one. I don't think I have the patience for sourdough. I've always meant to try making kombucha and yogurt and kimchi, so those are on my list of possible projects, however.

Sounds like you are full up! For myself, in addition to work and exercise and obsessing about my garden, I've also decided to experiment with the kitchen appliances I rarely use, and am taking an online German class, and just started trying to figure out a family history project to work on. (I actually started this by thinking it would be fun to see the effect of the 1918 flu on my family, but it seems like none of my ancestors, siblings, children, etc. died from it.) I also have plenty to do to just finish organizing a few closets and getting rid of stuff -- back to the "does it spark joy" thing ;-) -- even if the actual getting rid of will have to wait in some cases.

Funny that you mention yogurt, kombucha, and kimchi. I made yogurt yesterday, hubby started a batch of kimchi, and he has a batch of kombucha down there somewhere too. :)

I also have a container garden I started last month, so we'll hopefully be able to make small salads in a few weeks? I like to make fun of my husband always having projects, but I think I've realized that I'm nearly as bad about it as he is...

Also - Good suggestion about going through and getting rid of things. I tend to let things stick around way longer than I should... So that is going on my to-do list. :)
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,432 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Before things re-open, we need testing. I recall there was a big announcement made weeks ago about a test that can be done with results in 5 min. Where are these tests available? If it is that quick, perhaps they should be available in mass. Instead, places are still checking for fevers, which allows asymptomatic carriers to unknowingly spread it.

That was from two companies, one of which I know is Abbott Labs. There's another one too. The issues are that they also need a cartridge for them that also has to be manufactured. The machines are complex to make and the cartridges were slow to roll out. Only reason I know all this is I've been daytrading more since recruiting is more or less shut down for a while, though I'm doing some work for tech startups.

Their ability to produce the cartridges fast enough has been an issue. Another issue has been the feds laying off responsibility on the states and not taking the lead. That is certainly slowing things down. You have to have a federal response. I think, out of fairness, that the Feds have been more concentrated on PPEs and ventilators (and the economy) -- you have multiple disasters that need addressed all at once -- but their attention is being moved to this now.
    Before things re-open, we need testing. I recall there was a big announcement made weeks ago about a test that can be done with results in 5 min. Where are these tests available? If it is that quick, perhaps they should be available in mass. Instead, places are still checking for fevers, which allows asymptomatic carriers to unknowingly spread it.

I work in a hospital laboratory. I’ve used these machines before, for regular Flu A/B and Strep A testing.

The Covid-19 cartridges are new, obviously, but the test is run exactly the same as the others that can be run on this platform.

The 5-min time is for a swab that is positive, otherwise it takes 3 minutes warm-up time, 30-second inoculation time, and 10 run time. So a total of 13.5 minutes for a negative result. This does not include specimen receiving time.

Also, we only have one analyzer. So, if we get 3 specimens at the same time, 2 of them have to wait.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    :( What are y'all doing to pass the time? I have work for 8 hours each day, exercise, cooking and I'm working on a Masters Degree, so homework. But other ideas are always welcome.

I am also working from home for 8 hours a day. If I have the energy I am cooking, but my depression has been making it hard. I also finally have picked up writing again and am working on the trilogy I started so long ago. It's a good outlet and something I enjoy doing which I really need right now.

For lots of people, just getting through the day is an accomplishment in itself especially if depression and anxiety are factors. No one should be made to feel like they've 'wasted' their time or feel diminished or unaccomplished if they haven't freaking cured cancer during their downtime.

People have enough to worry about right now. :(
    For real. The two weeks I was furloughed, I considered a day I put on real pants a success. I puttered around the house, did a little yard work and a little baking. I also re-watched all 3 LOTR extended version and 4 seasons of Great British Baking Show on Netflix and did not organize my closet like I intended.

Getting up and doing things is generally helpful for mild depression, but ignore everyone saying we need to be journaling and learning a new language and making gourmet meals to enjoy alone right now!

"The Taneytown Police Department in Maryland shared this ominous message on social media: Please remember to put pants on before leaving the house to check your mailbox. You know who you are." 😂

I'm going through similar issues with establishing a lockdown routine, and I heartily agree with your advice. My biggest accomplishment to date is pushing myself out the door for a walk every day and I'm happy with that for the moment. 😊

:laugh: