April 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Great job @Avidkeo ! I knew you would rock it!!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Great job @Avidkeo ! I knew you would rock it!!!

Yep! W00T! you rock!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo well done! Nurse those legs now, definitely not the time for injuries.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Hal has been working me pretty hard this week, he's had me on that dreadmill for 5 hours (and that's without counting the 10 minutes I spend walking before and after each run, so around 6.5 hours altogether!) for a total of 35.5km (4 more than last week).

Next week is identical overall distance but split up differently, with a way too much speedwork for it to be easy (1x fartlek run, 1x speed intervals, 1x base run and 1x race simulation)... wth? Does he want to kill me? I'm sure all this speedwork will have its benefits as long as it doesn't break my legs. Quite looking forward to seeing what happens when (if?) I get to run outside again.

01/04: 4.81km tempo
    02/04: 6.57km base
    04/04: 9.6km easy
    06/04: 5.08km easy
    08/04: 8.5km hill repeats
    09/04: 8.06km easy
    11/04: 8.34km hard
    13/04: 5.15km fartleks
    15/04: 6.6km easy
    16/04: 8km fast intervals
    18/04: 11.5km long
    20/04: 4.56km tempo
    22/04: 8.23km 'easy'
    23/04: 9.6km fast intervals
    25/04: 13.1km long

Revised April goal: 140km. Run so far: 117.7km
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    April goal: 80 km

April 1st - 2.5 km
    April 3 - 5.5. km
    April 5 - 8.2 km
    April 7 - 7 km
    April 9 - 5 km
    April 11 - 10 km
    April 13 - 5 km
    April 19 - 6.6 km
    April 21 - 5 km
    April 25 - 10 km

Total: 64.8 km

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Yay! Great run @Avidkeo! Excited for you to start full marathon training.
    Unbelievable @AlphaHowls on your (almost) 2 year run streak. That is a lifetime of miles for most mortals!!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo Yes. Take care of yourself. Now is not the time to get injured. Well, I guess there is never a good time to be injured, now is there. :wink: I'm thinking I may need to get new shoes too. I only have one pair that I have had a little over a year. They still seem to be okay, but I have put a lot of miles on them. Should probably get some before I start having issues.

Great run @rheddmobile . Sorry about the jerky bicyclist. I know that bats are good for the environment and eat mosquitoes, but I have to be honest. They scare me a little. Not sure why.

@katharmonic Glad you got your run in. Sorry you didn't get your wine. They do sell wine in the grocery stores here now. I think it's been about a year now that they started allowing it.

@Faebert Yeah on the mileage. That is exciting! Your are doing great!

@eleanorhawkins Sounds like Hal is a little sadistic. :wink: Sounds like you did great this week. I'm sure you will rock next week too.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I'm baaacckk!

Oops long post.
    My run was awesome!! My plan was to run around 6:20min/k and I managed to achieve that for the bulk of the run, though the last 5k were definitely at speed
    I hope your run is going well (you should be nearly done) and I’m sending you energy boosting thoughts for those final few kilometres.

Yep I think it worked!

Run report in the spoiler with pics. (since its not an actual race)
    Woke a little before 7, and had a breakfast of yoghurt, banana and a coffee. Waited about an hr for it to settle, then got kitted up. So much vasseline haha but I wanted to make sure I covered everything.

I went out a bout 8:15am with my hydration pack full of water, my drink bottle with power aid placed strategically on a fence and a plastic bag full of jelly beans. Stood there, did a few warm up leg swings and calf raises and started.

Had a bit of a false start as the water in my pack was sloshing soooo loudly and so annoying, so I stopped after about 200m and squashed the air out. Sorted and much better. And can I say carying 1.5kg of water on your back feels really heavy at first but it's great when you get to 16k mark and it's only about 400g and it feels so light!

My run consisted of a 8km out and back in 2 directions from my house which I did 2.5 times.
    qy8agb31yail.jpg

The elevation isn't extreme but starts with a gentle climb for 1k, then a sharp drop to my first turn around. Odly this time it was the incline from my 5.5k point back thats the hardest, and I figured out with all the extra side streets I didn't need to do it the second time - whew!

Nothing exciting on the run. Lots of red poppies (our symbol to show respect to our service people) and so so many people out walking and running.

My last 5k I started just flying, and I felt awesome. My legs were a bit sore and I started feeling a light cramping in the front of my right shin. Just felt like it needed stretching out.

The most important thing is thou that I felt like I could have kept going, especially if I'd actually done that final 5k at a more reasonable pace haha!

Splits for anyone interested
    la16eamia625.jpg

This training run was going to be my decider, if it went well, I would continue on and do the full. If it didn't then I wouldn't. I think you can guess my decision.

Now the endorphins are taking over and I'm just bouncing off the walls with exhilaration. Can't see it lasting long though lol.

So thank you for listening, replying, giving me all the advice! I know I can be a PITA sometimes, and I love that you all put up with me.

Now pass the pizza. Oh still no takeaways till Tuesday. Sigh. Grilled cheese it is!

dcpt96cc1otv.jpg
    w9gztzk7si5h.jpg

Well done, @Avidkeo!!!!! Enjoy that grilled cheese!!!
  • Tramboman
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    4/1 14.48 miles, 702 days on the run
    4/2 15.31 miles
    4/3 2.48 miles
    4/4 16.28 miles, 705 days on the run
    4/5 14.01 miles
    4/6 15.2 miles
    4/7 15.02 miles
    4/8 15.39 miles
    4/9 15.35 miles, 710 days on the run
    4/10 15.23 miles
    4/11 15.09 miles
    4/12 15.1 miles, 1st mile crazy laps, waiting for break in rain
    4/13 15.14 miles
    4/14 14.28 miles, 715 days on the run
    4/15 6.37 miles, crazy laps
    4/16 2.26 miles, crazy laps
    4/17 1.34 miles, crazy laps, depressed, trying to get a grip
    4/18 15.28 miles
    4/19 14.01 miles, 720 days on the run
    4/20 16.49 miles
    4/21 14.12 miles
    4/22 6.1 miles
    4/23 7.01 miles
    4/24 26.41 miles, 725 days on the run

A few more days and I will have run every day for two years.

@AlphaHowls you are truly an inspiration!!!
    I read somewhere the current consecutive running streak is 50 years. I'd start one of my own, but I don't think I'll be running at 118 years old.
  • Tramboman
    Options
    4-1 7k easy
    4-2 7k easy
    4-3 8k slow
    4-4 7k moderate
    4-5 7k moderate
    4-6 7k easy
    4-7 rest
    4-8 7k moderate
    4-9 7k easy
    4-10 7k easy
    4-11 7k easy
    4-12 7k moderate
    4-13 7k easy
    4-14 rest
    4-15 7k moderate
    4-16 11k slow
    4-17 7k moderate
    4-18 7k easy
    4-19 7k threshold
    4-20 7k easy
    4-21 rest
    4-22 7k easy
    4-23 7k easy
    4-24 7k moderate
    4-25 11k easy

April Total: 163k
    April Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k

2020 Total through March: 509k

Sunny and mid 40s F today. Weather is supposed to go downhill for the rest of the weekend, so chose today for a longer run. Felt pretty good physically; even the usual niggles were unusually mild.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

5-23 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson OH
    6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber I'm not sure of the shoe mileage. I think I have it all down, so could go back and check. Do you count walking mileage too, or just running? Some of my walking since I got these shoes I did in my older shoes, so I really won't know about that. I'll check the running mileage after I run today.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Lol @Scott6255 sleep running haha. That would be nice have done that before usually when I'm engrossed in my podcast and I've totally tuned out what's going on around me!

@AlphaHowls wow. Such an inspiration!

@Tramboman I went all out and made a gourmet grilled cheese - pesto, Swiss, smoked chicken breast, cheese slice (I think our equivalent of American cheese single? - in the plastic wrap). It was so incredibly delicious im probably going to have another one today

@rheddmobile we are lucky here that cyclists are generally well behaved, but yeah seen some pretty inconsiderate behaviour from time to time. Just use your bell or voice to state your intentions for petes sake!

@katharmonic damn! Can you not buy from a supermarket there?

I'm awake super early - 5am - and just couldn't go back to sleep. I had had 8hrs,since I crashed at 9pm, So have got up and am enjoying a peaceful coffee by the warm heater. I did a lot of stretching and rolling of my anterior shin last night and the pain has definitely eased. That weird scraping trick I found on YouTube still seems to be a miracle worker, but then it could have just been a good recovery sleep. Who knows.

Today I'll go for a gentle recovery walk, and Do more stretching and rolling. Kind of looking forward to a lower km week this week. Then a build up to 24k! Fortunately our foreshore will be open again then so I can run in conditions more closely resembling what the marathon will be - mild undulations along the waterfront. No more hills haha! Well not for long runs anyway
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo Yes. Take care of yourself. Now is not the time to get injured. Well, I guess there is never a good time to be injured, now is there. :wink: I'm thinking I may need to get new shoes too. I only have one pair that I have had a little over a year. They still seem to be okay, but I have put a lot of miles on them. Should probably get some before I start having issues.

Yes. That is what smart and sensible people do*.

*note: post author makes no claims about being smart or sensible