WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    1. Where are you from originally? Born and raised in West Michigan. Moved to Mexico when I was 20 and, as they say; "a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

2. Do you eat breakfast? If so, what did you eat today? Yes! Usually I have a yogurt smoothie. Today, because it is a "fasting" day, I am just having coffee.

3. Do you prefer to dine in, carry out, or cook at home? Tricky. I prefer someone to cook for me; but because that only happens if I eat out/get take out, I cook at home (not a lot of money for eating out)

4. Favorite Girl Scout Cookie? Probably the Samoas/Caramel Delights. However, Girl Scout cookies are one of those treats that I CAN stay away from; because I like a home made cookie much better. (If the GS sold a raw cookie kit for these cookies, I would probably be in trouble)

5. Do you listen to music when you work? Most of the time. If what I am doing requires intense concentration, I either turn the music off or turn on some sort of instrumental.

6. What is your favorite sonic drink? I have never been to Sonic.

7. What is your favorite board/card game? I am so out of the loop here, because I play so many toddler games. But I love Clue and I love poker, Uno, and Phase 10 with my son because he always adds crazy rules (ex. In Uno, if you play/discard a 7 or 3 you have to switch hands with the person on your left, if you use a wild card you switch hands with the person on your right)

8. What are your favorite podcasts? Anything on the brain or children's brain development

9. What is your dream sandwich? Hmmmm...I am not a big sandwich person. But I love an openfaced sandwich with avocado and egg on it. Bacon is enjoyed on this, as well, but is totally optional.

10. What makes you gag? lol Not much. Maybe seeing flies on food or a cat on a food prep counter.

11. What are your hobbies? I like to hike/walk, swim/kayak/paddleboard, and read.

12. What is one thing that can make your day instantly better? Being outside. Oh, coffee. Coffee is instant self love in a cup.

13. What was the best vacation/trip you ever took and why? This is tough! OF course I enjoy my vacations to see my grandsons; but they are exhausting. It is probably a toss up between the trip I took with my GS troop to Savannah and an up north vacation I had with my hubby and kids, many years ago. They ALL got the flu about two days in, so bc they were sleeping a lot; I made sure they were set with meds and then would walk down to the pool and relax for a couple hours.

14. If you were an animal, what animal would you be? A peregrine falcon. Oh, to fly through the sky and dive at top speed...

15. At a party, where can someone find you? Dancing...or at the bar talking.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @Michele, in lack of masks, scarves help to avoid infecting others. If your mouth is covered you are less likely to send out spittle and aerosol if you have asymptomatic or pre symptomatic form. From what i've read, thick weave is better and non-cotton is better. (cotton lets lots slip in and out). Though it is (sometimes not always) said that surgical masks don't protect at all (this seems to be said mostly in places where mask are lacking, not where they are required) i think they and scarves must protect a little. If i walk by some suspended particles, if my mouth and nose are covered thick weave cloth is likely to provide a mild barrier. Not complete but even filtering out 50% reduces the amount we are exposed to. Cloth masks are becoming widespread and official recommendation to wear them is not rare. A scarf is not identical but not 100% different (depending on how snug it is and what cloth is used). Many people cover mouths with scarves. Everyone agrees wearing a mask doesn't allow to avoid social distancing. As long as social distancing is maintained, there is no risk in wearing a scarf and there is a possible benefit, though some people will argue adamantly against and for nearly every proposal and idea around. Some claim that people touch faces more with masks but i don't find that to be true at all.
    I wear a mask made out of either a thick stretchy cloth or a thinner one with a filter that is used in a furnace that filters out viruses and bacteria. I do wear a mask if I think I will meet anyone especially in stores. I know my wearing the mask protects them. If I don't wear the filter mask and the person I meet gets within 6 feet of me and is not wearing a mask and they are contagious I have a 70% chance of being exposed to the virus if I am wearing a cloth mask. My filter mask lowers these odds. This is why I am firm with others about staying 6 feet from me. I will move if they don't. I can often tell if the person is going to be respectful or not. It surprises me when I run into others who still do not get it. I was in a butcher shop yesterday and neither the staff or the patrons seemed to get the new rules we are living under.

Karen gorgeous!

Penny yum!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    My brain gigs setting in Cant remember what I was going to write.

Amber Tx

Exercising today,backyard bubbles,eat the comfort foods but this morning for Brunch something light
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,810 Member
    Options
    Sharon - I enjoy children’s movies as well. My husband and I watched Frozen 2 a couple of weeks ago because we had seems the first one. My favourite is the Toy Story set. I enjoyed Coco too. My eldest daughter loves YA, she lent her library code to her Father the other day so he could borrow ebooks and told him she would share but only if he didn’t make fun of her library.

Teri - I saw you mention Dulse as a food. I used to eat dulse in New Brunswick, I haven’t had it in years and now I want some.

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Heather thanks for your understanding.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Rebecca: Oregon follows its own sense of need, and right and wrong. Fishing season is open and we see boats out fishing with several people aboard. The boats are more than 5 feet apart in the river. The season opens and closes based on fish counts at Bonneville Dam. This has been going on for many years. Grocery stores, pot stores and liquor stores are considered essential, and are open. So are gas stations and hardware stores. Currently, with the Coronavirus, pot stores and restaurants can sell curb-side, but you can’t go inside. Beauty shops are closed. So is the movie theater. Nobody can cut hair because they can’t do that from 5 feet away. It is definitely NOT business as usual. :noway:

SuziQ: I love the humor of the “AdultJokes.” :laugh:

Penney: The cathedral is a work of art! Beautiful! :star:

Machka: We see this, too: "Where they are still open to customers, most places have put up plexiglass between cashiers and customers and have marks on the floor for where you're supposed to stand. Bunnings, our hardware store has added tables in front of the checkout counters so we're forced to stand some distance away from the cashiers. Of course, no cash is accepted anywhere."

Heather: I chat with neighbors outdoors while at least 5 feet apart. That 5 foot distance originated in the governor’s office, as far as I know. We can walk our dog in the neighborhood, staying at least 5 feet away from other people. I miss yoga and my horse friends. :ohwell:

So far we are very lucky. Our family members are safe at their homes. DD still goes into work at an essential job but she has adequate face & hand protection from germs. I miss going to yoga, but I can walk in the neighborhood and can ride my recumbent trike on its roller system in the garage.

Some families have had huge losses and heart break in our country. My heart goes out to those people who have lost loved ones. I feel very lucky that my family is currently okay. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,810 Member
    Options
    Sharon - I enjoy children’s movies as well. My husband and I watched Frozen 2 a couple of weeks ago because we had seems the first one. My favourite is the Toy Story set. I enjoyed Coco too. My eldest daughter loves YA, she lent her library code to her Father the other day so he could borrow ebooks and told him she would share but only if he didn’t make fun of her library.

Teri - I saw you mention Dulse as a food. I used to eat dulse in New Brunswick, I haven’t had it in years and now I want some.

1. Where are you from originally? Born and raised in Hartland, New Brunswick home of the longest covered bridge in the world. Left home at 18 to move to Ontario, moved back to NB when I was expecting our eldest. Moved to Alberta when she was 8.

2. Do you eat breakfast? Weekdays usually just a coffee, at home on weekends I make breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Usually bacon, eggs and toast.

3. Do you prefer to dine in, carry out, or cook at home? I really dislike cooking, I prefer to get takeout or dine out, but money and my waist won’t allow that regularly.

4. Favourite Girl Scout Cookie? We don’t have Girl Scout Cookies here like you do in the States. I couldn’t tell you what flavours there are.

5. Do you listen to music when you work? Always, I don’t work well in silence.

6. What is your favorite sonic drink? I have never been to Sonic.

7. What is your favorite board/card game? I would say my favourites are Payday, Scrabble and Life but I haven’t played in years. No one to play with.

8. What are your favorite podcasts? I have not listened to a podcast.

9. What is your dream sandwich? I only like three sandwiches. #1 would be BLT with just butter no mayo, ham and cheese again just butter and grilled cheese.

10. What makes you gag? My husband had a an abscess when we were first married that needed to be packed after his surgery to remove it. He ended up being kept in the hospital longer than necessary because I gagged changing it every time. So I would say anything that involves bodily fluids besides children’s diaper changes. Even children’s vomit got me.

11. What are your hobbies? I paint, scrapbook, clean and I need to start walking again.

12. What is one thing that can make your day instantly better? Spending quality time with my family. Not just sitting watching tv.

13. What was the best vacation/trip you ever took and why? In 2009 my husband and I took a week vacation, our only plan was to drive the Icefield Parkway between Jasper and Banff. We called it our “fly by the seat of our pant vacation”. We had our tent and camping gear but changed locations each night. The first night we rented a cheap motel room. The second we rented a little log cabin. The third we stayed at a Lodge bed and breakfast that was built in ten 20’s by one of the founders in the area. This was the best! They had no cell service, no internet and no tv! The next two nights we camped. During the day we hiked different trails, drove and toured. It was the most relaxing vacation I’ve ever had.

14. If you were an animal, what animal would you be? I’ve never given this a lot of thought, but I think a Canada goose, they winter in warm weather, they are revered and protected from humans and can be nasty so they will just smack someone that gets too close.

15. At a party, where can someone find you? It depends on the party, but usually helping out and then sitting in a corner with only a few people.

Tomatoes - I would love a good tomato from my Granddather’s garden again. I enjoy tomatoes but not tomato soup.

I have to go out today and try to find some meat at the grocery store. I also have to clean and organize the craft room.

It is incredibly windy here right now.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Not much to say today. Gonna be a lazy day.

RV Rita
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I tried to look at my food macros a few minutes ago and couldn't find them unless I start paying a monthly fee. Have others already run into this?

Katla
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Knew it 1 ex fights for custody uses wife’s job as an excuse happening a lot. This article shows 3 cases. Original y 2 after . Husband y wife both work with Coronovirus cases so he made up stuff/or told truth about social distancing used her job against her as the main reason until he realized he couldn’t win with that (same job! Same hospital! Same patients!) . Petty Ex’s always find a loop hole to draw stuff out . So do abusers been there done that . With my Abuser-Finally the judge knew he lied every single time stopped even accepting to hear anything he had to throw.(Daughter was top of the whole school academically even graduating top of her class... yet I was dragged to court with false claims ridiculous amount of times) just left Daughter scared to fail even 1 test! Started at age 7-13 when I married hubby he stopped. Was glad when it stopped she was top of her graduating class the guy under her grade wise by a few points was named valivictorian (he got a scholarship/she already had been in the Navy 1year working for a recruitment office so had no need for it left for her base the next few days after graduating ). He was stalking Daughter with a child rapist felon in tow (his lover a guy of course). Sad the kids have to be in tug of wars during this.My Hubby an essential worker same risk as any essential worker (he has did jobs inside of the hospitals!)

https://apple.news/ARmsnokcURaaJtHq202AXDw

Amber Tx

My Uncle (Aunt who died) still not taking calls not sure if he wants contact with her family any more or not. His decision I backed Dad up its an individual choice.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Katla- yes I’m not buying a fee !
    Macros

Free Macro Calculator https://www.calculator.net/macro-calculator.html

Can add a separate app to track macros here’s JR’s!! We go by macros for him https://apps.apple.com/us/app/carb-manager-keto-diet-app/id410089731

Amber Tx
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: Friday invested 10 mins cleaning Master Bd, carry over 10 mins cleaning Living Rm.
    Bonus: Friday 27 mins grooming Tumble, 27 mins additional vacuuming, 11 mins additional dusting, stroll with Joe and the dogs, zoom line dancing.
    Get to do: BB&B, mtg minutes, invest 10 mins cleaning Office, carry over 10 mins cleaning Guest Bth, 5 mins Office – oops!, finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed, prep potato bed for snow peas, dig up snow pea bed for potatoes and greens, prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes, transplant herbs, call Lee, bake cookies for Joe, call Carolyn, finish cleaning and start de-rusting Aunt Elsie’s stove, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.
    Coping Calendar Day 27: Thank 3 and tell them why
    two and three done.
    Coping Calendar Day 28: Plan to meet up with others later in the year
    last night after zoom dancing we discussed returning to the Grange soon as the restriction on exercise classes is lifted. Will email childhood friend to reschedule our lunch meetup that should have happened Wednesday.

Fooey! Put my hiking boots on for nothing. It’s misting a little (surprise!) so Joe doesn’t want to go anywhere.

Allie sorry to hear of Trudy’s trouble. Is there a virtual narc-anon for addicts’ loved ones?
    Kate “walking to Gondor” now THAT I’d like to see!
    Meg, “My knees actually feel better” after kickboxing for an hour. Thank you for the reminder. Coach Ken says “Motion is lotion.” Really gotta get down on that mat.
    Amber “falafels with powdered sugar” ? Only felafel I’ve ever had was savory, yummy, delicious but wouldn’t go with powdered sugar?
    Karen in VA Mama used to make a grapefruit, red onion, avocado salad with Best Foods, not Catalina, and no spinach. Thanks for the yummy memory and new variation! Only have Vol 1 of The Joy of Cooking, which does not contain desserts/sweets. Would you please tell me about Fudge Cockaigne & Cream Caramels? That video of the Chinese drones-chilling!
    Machka “… can rest now. At last.” So poignant. Perhaps the world after COVID-19 will be as different as your and your DH’s lives after TBI.
    Heather looked up your hot weather in Hove. 54 degrees F? No wonder you were chilly sleeveless. For me it doesn’t get hot until the degrees F start with a 9. ;) I think your Johnny is a genius too. He and KJ almost make me wish I was a child again.
    KJ no wonder you’re exhausted. I’ve run into a few folk here who believe the whole COVID-19 thing is at best blown all out of proportion and at worst a conspiracy to eliminate our freedom of assembly and religion. Karen in VA’s chilling video of the Chinese mask-Nazi drones almost lends credence. BUT scientifically we know at how much risk your DH is. Would he listen to his doctor? Or some other respected male? Aaauugh!
    Janetr :love: the new profile pic! So glad the thieves were stupid, caught and your ATV farm truck returned to you.
    Margaret I’m using a mist of white wine vinegar and thyme essential oil to sanitize the kitchen.
    Rita that pic of the ?cranes? and the water made me go “aaah” Oops, now I see they were snowy egrets. Thank you for sharing your photographer’s gift!
    Barbie what a lot of technical blows for one day. Would you consider calling the cable company, sometimes they can remotely troubleshoot and perhaps they’d mail you a replacement?
    Welcome @laughingdakini1 There are quite a few vegetarians and even a few OMADs here. To send a friend request, click on someone’s screen name, then click it again in the box that opens, then click the “Add as friend” button. Please don’t be offended if the person doesn’t reply, several here restrict themselves to just this forum and don’t do the “friend” thing.
    Lanette “I think it would be fun working/even volunteering at the Sheriff's office helping find stolen property on Craigslist. (Our Sheriff doesn't have any opportunities like that, but if they did, I'd sign up” Why not suggest it as a volunteer opportunity? Sounds like a great idea to me!
    Heather “You seem to spend a lot of time cleaning” Had to pick myself up off from the floor from reading that. ROTFLMAO. Mama (scrubby Dutch) said I was a p!$$ poor housekeeper. She was right (natch) and I haven’t gotten any better with age. Lately I’ve been trying to make myself give 10 mins to a different room each day as a way of fooling myself into doing it. What is there to clean? Dust. Dog hair. Spruce needles. Food spills. Soap scum. Rust stains. Toothpaste splatter on mirrors. Cooking messes on stoves, walls and cabinet doors. Cob webs. The occasionally spot of mildew. Oh and the clutter I’m unable to force myself to purge. “Don’t be too clean.” Not a problem! Thank you for the belly laugh, I really needed it!

Favorite foods
    Hot pepper cheese garlic bread back in the day. Can’t find the pasteurized processed cheese food any more, it’s all pepper jack, NOT the same.
    Baked potato with butter, sour cream and chives. Back when I was a veg, I’d mash it with the same hot pepper cheese and make a meal of it.
    Sauerbraten with buttered noodles.
    Chicken and dumplings the way Mama made ‘em (used a pressure cooker, I’ve never been able to get it right.)
    Pepperoni, salami, red onion, pepperoncini thin crust pizza.
    Popcorn
    Devilled eggs
    German hot potato salad (haven’t made it in years, next time I buy bacon.)
    Malty, caramel-y ales (now AF) and round soft full bodied dark red wines. Mouth waters thinking about the bottle of Temperanillo I have stashed for a rainy day.
    Dark chocolate.

Dangit, now I have the munchies.

NOW will get up and walk the dogs down the drive to the lane so as not to waste the effort of putting on the hiking boots. ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    April: better than March.
    daily: steps=Fri 3863, vits=23.5 log=24 CI<CO=19 CI<250<CO=11 Tumble & Shadow 5=17 mfp=24 clean 10 mins=27 outside=18 up hill=23
    wkly: BB&B x3=0 rx=2 dance=4.75 
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=0 review 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=16 play=0 sew=0

Thanks. I am always happy to meet folks, so anyone who wants to add me can. I am glad to finally know how to do it!
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wait, what's an OMAD and AHMOD and other terms like that? Moderators, or...? No clue--thanks.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    Wait, what's an OMAD and AHMOD and other terms like that? Moderators, or...? No clue--thanks.

:) Keep coming back and asking your questions. Someone will answer. AHMOD is what Barbara calls herself. I think it means Aging Hippie Mother of Dogs.

:) Most of us don't necessarily add friends because we do all our interacting on this thread. It's a great place to see lots of different approaches to weight loss, fitness, and getting along in life in other ways.

:) We sign our posts with some sort of easy to remember personal name or nickname and a general or specific location. I hope you will keep coming back.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »

Does anyone else besides me enjoy “children’s movies” or YA literature? I’m delighted by how much I’m finding that is highly original and thought-provoking.

Sharon Near Seattle

Yes! I love them. I generally catch up on the "children's movies" when I'm on long flights, which obviously is not happening right now. I also love YA books.

Tina in CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Penny - Your loaves are so professional looking. Fabulous! :D I would be very proud if my sourdough looked like that.
    That Arctic Cathedral in Tromsø brought back happy memories, although it was the only grey, damp day of the cruise we took up to see you. We got a taxi up to the cable car/lift which takes you up to the wonderful view at the top, walked about a bit up there, (still a bit of snow) and then came back down and walked back down to the church. The inside, as you know, is also lovely. I think there was music playing. Then we walked back across the bridge into town. Went to a great photography exhibition on the old inhabitants and houses of the town.

Used some of the left over guinea fowl to make a pasta dish. Broccoli, peas, pesto etc. Tagliatelle. Yum!
    Still got some for tomorrow, or I might freeze it for another day. I've made a stock with bones in the IP. :D I can feel a spicy Asian soup coming on.

AF wine tonight. Hooray!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx