Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

With the lock down being effectively over in the USA where law enforcement are not authorized to mow down unarmed citizens with machine guns . . .

Dude, what on earth?

I noted I was only speaking about USA laws. The news article explains how states are removing more and more restraints on people. This will help prevent social unrest even if medically if it is a step backwards. No one knows what to do in these times.

Even with the restrictions, nobody was authorized to mow down unarmed citizens with machine guns. This is the kind of rhetoric that is incredibly unhelpful. I don't even know how you got there. It's like some kind of fever dream fantasy.

Have you been reading about the mental health issues related to COVID-19? I just see an undercurrent that is dangerous for the safety of law officers. Some are losing everything and we know alcohol sales are up and gun sales are up. Did you read Cwolfmann's link over the number of COVID-19 deaths?

Law officers are starting to stand down over governors orders because they understand the time/risk factor on unproven restrictions is increasing. I think everyone posting here wants to do what is best and understand they are going to get COVID-19 sooner or later but want it to be much later.

We know with the schools closed it is causing some kids harm because they may not have a safe environment and food like when the schools were open. The schools will not be opening in 4 months from now if we do not get more COVID-19 cases behind us. Sweden may be proven wrong yet time will tell.

https://aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/sweden-avoids-full-lockdown-pm-insists-restrictions-continue-200420173945004.html

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Hand sanitizer: If you have a local craft distillery - one that usually makes vodka, whiskey, gin, etc. - check their FB/web page, or call to see if they have hand sanitizer. My local sells it in gallons, or 2oz, at about cost to make. I've read about places in other parts of the country doing similar things. Helps a local business, helps you.

Yes! There is a place nearby that changed from making whiskey to hand sanitizer. I heard they sell the bottle (32 oz., I think? I don't drink whiskey, so not exactly sure what the bottle size is) for $35. That may be a little expensive for that size of container, but not terrible. Also, they are new to making it and I'm sure materials went up in cost too... so probably is about right. They were supplying the nearest hospital as well and not sure if they were charging or how much. If not, that explains part of the cost too. Either way, $35 for about a liter isn't bad.

Local central IL distillery is selling hand sanitizer for $56.65 a gallon. Don't know where you're at but sounds high.

That's equivalent to 88 cents for the standard 2 oz. personal size container. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. It's hard to remember the "before times," especially since personal hand sanitizer was kind of a random purchase for me, not something I was buying regularly, but my best recollection is about $1.50 for a 2 oz. bottle. Of course, you normally expect a volume discount when you buy a large container.

And for the $35 dollar for a whiskey bottle from an earlier poster -- the "standard" whiskey bottle is a "fifth" (fifth of a gallon), so assuming that's what they're using, that's a little pricey -- about $2.73 per 2 oz.

I suspect it's relevant that the distilleries are set up to make food-grade alcohol, and are kind of shoe-stringing some of the hand sanitizer production, so maybe higher cost of staffing/production. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I know my local** was struggling at first with sourcing things like suitable plastic bottles that they don't usually use, and I suspect they didn't have great equipment for efficiently fillng such bottles, etc.

** Which is selling 2 oz bottles for $2, not sure about prices for larger, but they have gallons - they said that's pricing approximately at cost, and - knowing them - I expect that's true. At first, they had people bring their own plastic bottles, which they'd sanitize, fill, then re-sanitize before giving back - not exactly efficient industrial scale processes. ;) They've now sourced their own bottles, but I suspect at higher unit cost than Purell pays, and I assume the production process is still not hyper-efficient, either.

The distillery near where I live is using the same bottles they normally use for whiskey, but just putting different labels on the for hand sanitizer.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    Hand sanitizer: If you have a local craft distillery - one that usually makes vodka, whiskey, gin, etc. - check their FB/web page, or call to see if they have hand sanitizer. My local sells it in gallons, or 2oz, at about cost to make. I've read about places in other parts of the country doing similar things. Helps a local business, helps you.

Yes! There is a place nearby that changed from making whiskey to hand sanitizer. I heard they sell the bottle (32 oz., I think? I don't drink whiskey, so not exactly sure what the bottle size is) for $35. That may be a little expensive for that size of container, but not terrible. Also, they are new to making it and I'm sure materials went up in cost too... so probably is about right. They were supplying the nearest hospital as well and not sure if they were charging or how much. If not, that explains part of the cost too. Either way, $35 for about a liter isn't bad.

Local central IL distillery is selling hand sanitizer for $56.65 a gallon. Don't know where you're at but sounds high.

That's equivalent to 88 cents for the standard 2 oz. personal size container. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. It's hard to remember the "before times," especially since personal hand sanitizer was kind of a random purchase for me, not something I was buying regularly, but my best recollection is about $1.50 for a 2 oz. bottle. Of course, you normally expect a volume discount when you buy a large container.

And for the $35 dollar for a whiskey bottle from an earlier poster -- the "standard" whiskey bottle is a "fifth" (fifth of a gallon), so assuming that's what they're using, that's a little pricey -- about $2.73 per 2 oz.

I suspect it's relevant that the distilleries are set up to make food-grade alcohol, and are kind of shoe-stringing some of the hand sanitizer production, so maybe higher cost of staffing/production. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I know my local** was struggling at first with sourcing things like suitable plastic bottles that they don't usually use, and I suspect they didn't have great equipment for efficiently fillng such bottles, etc.

** Which is selling 2 oz bottles for $2, not sure about prices for larger, but they have gallons - they said that's pricing approximately at cost, and - knowing them - I expect that's true. At first, they had people bring their own plastic bottles, which they'd sanitize, fill, then re-sanitize before giving back - not exactly efficient industrial scale processes. ;) They've now sourced their own bottles, but I suspect at higher unit cost than Purell pays, and I assume the production process is still not hyper-efficient, either.

The distillery near where I live is using the same bottles they normally use for whiskey, but just putting different labels on the for hand sanitizer.

Mine never sold 2-oz bottles of liquor. :lol: They may be using the old stock for some bigger size, but all they've mentioned is 2-oz and gallon; their spirits are sold in liters, and beer (it's also a brewery) in cans.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Mine never sold 2-oz bottles of liquor. :lol: They may be using the old stock for some bigger size, but all they've mentioned is 2-oz and gallon; their spirits are sold in liters, and beer (it's also a brewery) in cans.

I don't think this one has 2 oz bottles either. It's a bottle like what you would get for whiskey... IDK, a liter or something like that. As I said earlier, I don't drink and have no idea how many ounces are in a normal bottle of whiskey. And I haven't gone to buy any, this is just what my neighbor told me.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Things are looking promising here. It has been a few days since the last new case. 2-4 cases daily, all are either children who are already at the hospital with their sick parents or import drivers who test positive at the border before entering the country (but mostly drivers).

Most things are open now under strict sanitation and distancing rules (even non-essentials). There aren't any plans to open gathering places yet (churches, mosques, wedding venues, clubs...etc). Restaurants are all open for delivery and pickup. Almost half the provinces are almost back to life as usual and can drive freely. The rest can drive but with restrictions. Cars with an even plate number drive one day, and cars with an odd number drive the next. No more than 2 people in one car. Public transport is now also open at 30% capacity.

People are...well... people.
    They're not distancing as much as they should be. It's Ramadan and they're flooding to buy food without any regard for safety. Some places are better organized than others - we've been buying and freezing bread once every 10 or so days to avoid crowds at bread bakeries and buying our vegetables at the grocery store (more expensive) because produce stores are less organized. I used to get upset at people, but I feel less upset now, probably because it's looking good right now. I have resigned to "people are people, and will keep doing what people do"

This is what concerns me. I think we could reasonably safely open up a lot of businesses, if people were just capable of continuing to obey social distancing advisories. They had a piece on "60 Minutes" yesterday of an automobile plant that has retooled to produce ventilators, and they have erected plastic barriers between work stations, everyone was wearing masks, and they had smart watches that buzzed if they got within six feet of another smart watch (also storing data on what watches they were near, for future contact tracing if necessary). And the company is doing all that because people are people, and if you don't have systems in place to stop them, they're going to go back to their old ways of swapping germs and not washing their hands.

They are adding a mask requirement for indoor shopping and places where you can't maintain 6 ft of separation, but opening up some of the closed outdoor areas and then adding as new essential businesses "greenhouses, garden centers and nurseries" (many of which were already doing business through curbside and delivery, and Home Depot was open). "These stores must follow social distancing requirements and must require that employees and customers wear a face covering."

"Animal grooming services may also re-open," and "[r]etail stores not designated as non-essential businesses and operations may re-open to fulfill telephone and online orders through pick-up outside the store and delivery."

This seems reasonable to me. However, a politician downstate sued to prevent the order from applying to him, so clearly others disagree. I don't think a majority, and I get the impression the police here are enforcing the orders and concerned for their own safety in that they are on the front lines of having to deal with people who may have the virus and are not compliant. (Mostly enforcement is ticketing and breaking things up.)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

With the lock down being effectively over in the USA where law enforcement are not authorized to mow down unarmed citizens with machine guns . . .

Dude, what on earth?

I noted I was only speaking about USA laws. The news article explains how states are removing more and more restraints on people. This will help prevent social unrest even if medically if it is a step backwards. No one knows what to do in these times.

Even with the restrictions, nobody was authorized to mow down unarmed citizens with machine guns. This is the kind of rhetoric that is incredibly unhelpful. I don't even know how you got there. It's like some kind of fever dream fantasy.

Have you been reading about the mental health issues related to COVID-19? I just see an undercurrent that is dangerous for the safety of law officers. Some are losing everything and we know alcohol sales are up and gun sales are up. Did you read Cwolfmann's link over the number of COVID-19 deaths?

Law officers are starting to stand down over governors orders because they understand the time/risk factor on unproven restrictions is increasing. I think everyone posting here wants to do what is best and understand they are going to get COVID-19 sooner or later but want it to be much later.

We know with the schools closed it is causing some kids harm because they may not have a safe environment and food like when the schools were open. The schools will not be opening in 4 months from now if we do not get more COVID-19 cases behind us. Sweden may be proven wrong yet time will tell.

https://aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/sweden-avoids-full-lockdown-pm-insists-restrictions-continue-200420173945004.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/27/dont-judge-swedens-light-touch-on-covid-19-yet-says-minister

I think it will be interesting to see the outcome. Their goal of not overloading the healthcare workers seems to be working so far. The thought is their blow back may be much less than that is expected when the USA opens up in the coming weeks but time will tell. Looks like we started phase #1 to reopen today.

https://cnn.com/interactive/2020/us/states-reopen-coronavirus-trnd/

Kentucky will begin phase one on April 27, which will include restarting diagnostic, radiology, non-urgent, in-person, office and ambulatory visits.

"We are also going to allow pre-aesthesia testing services to restart in preparation for the surgical ramp up," Beshear said.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby, can you use whey protein powder? I would think it would work.

It is even more thick and rich than buttermilk powder, Definitely will not work.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    The only grocery item I am continuing to have trouble finding is yeast!
    Luckily sliced bread supplies have settled down, so it's not a big deal, but I do like to bake bread on a fairly regular basis.

Other than that, there has been the odd thing out of stock, but mostly easily substituted for something similar.

Oh, and hand sanitiser I think is a rare thing, but being home on lockdown, I haven't needed to replenish my small supply.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The latest weird thing to be missing from local grocery stores is salt. They had sea salt and kosher salt but not normal iodized salt.

Today’s local (Shelby county TN) press conference outlined a 4 phase plan for gradually reopening the county. It sounds good on paper - maintain social distancing, wear masks, check temperatures, only move to the next phase after 14 days “green” indicators such as flat number of new cases - but the main problem I have is that “phase zero” which is what we’re in currently isn’t being observed. For example supposedly all personnel at restaurants who either handle food or interact with the public are currently required by law to wear face masks or the restaurant has to be shut down. This is not happening now, why would compliance increase in the future?

I don’t see a situation in the future in which retail outlets will check temperature of customers, either. Local stores just don’t have those point and shoot thermometers and even if we could get them, no one would be willing to use them. Stores wouldn’t do it and customers here wouldn’t put up with it.