WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Bannanaandoranges- Darn lady who started the protests is Asymptomatic COVID-19 one of her rally’s was while she was infected she knew she was positive. She won’t answer whether she was there or not! All those people with no masks screaming. Probably infected the whole lot of them!

Made JR fav pancakes 🥞
    Peanut butter 1 cup
    Mayonnaise (don’t have sour cream or Greek yogurt it’s the same thing tho) 1/2cup
    2 cups pancake mix
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    Water enough to mix it up y pour it out!

Amber Tx

Resting knee y ankle still. Watching calories
    (Calorie calculator everyone range is based on height to age even mobility https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html find yours stay in that zone)
    Ball y bubbles in the protected fenced back yard we stay away from the fence lines (just Incase but we finally for a week now have had no fire trucks 🚒 testing y treating Covid people our streets finally cleared up looks like but not taking any chances..been multi homes with it already).
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,694 Member
    Sadly my "trail mix" isn't working out. Just creating it, I nibbled on it way too much! Last night I had such a stomach ache! I even "lamaze breathed" it hurt so bad! I learned a great lesson. Sweetened dried pineapple pieces CAN hurt you! Also the idea of snacking isn't really a thing with eating the way I want to eat. I like going to bed with a empty belly. I sleep so much better! Last night was awful, and just remembering curbs my snacking. I think I will "dismantle" my trail mix. I will give the marshmallows and M&Ms to son, and use the chocolate chips in some oatmeal cookies. I can open my fasting window with a cookie.👍. Will halve the recipe so half will be plain for husband. I will put one almond on each of "my cookies" so he'll not eat mine by mistake! 😁. I might put some coconut flakes in my cookies as well. The whole idea of snacking on this trail mix was a bad idea to start with! Live and learn. I will hold onto the almonds and pineapple pieces and eat those sparingly!
    💖 hugs to you all!
    Crazy Rebecca in
    Whidbey
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,694 Member
    Luci in WNC, as you can see from my post, I did some mental work , (and painful physical work too,) for ya! I have learned a bit about myself in this trail mix experiment!
    💖Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Meg: I’m glad to see your posts. Congrats on dinner with your friends.:star:

SuziQ: Looking at the kitty on his comfortable resting place makes me wonder if he is there for comfort or if this is a bid for attention. If you love to spend time at the computer it must be a special place in his way of thinking. :wink:

(((Lisa))) I can see why you’re frustrated. Irrational decisions seem to be the norm in far too many businesses and organizations. :grumble:

Lisa: Your painting is gorgeous. Blue happens to be my favorite color and I love the shade variations and added warmth from lavender in the foreground. :heart:

Kim: “Old white men have trouble thinking outside the box.” I think this is true for loads of men, regardless of race or ethnicity. It also apples to a few women. . . . :wink:

Bananas: An Instant Pot is a fancy pressure cooker. DH wanted one and so we have one. We can make stew or roast a chicken in it, along with many other possibilities. The advantage over an old-fashioned pressure cooker is the ability to set times and temperature. You set it up and walk away. The Instant Pot it will do your bidding automatically. Others may have additional ideas. At least one in this group has mentioned using it to make yogurt. Heather, was that you? :huh:

Rita: I love the wildflower photos. They belong in an art gallery and I'd wager that you could sell prints. :heart:

I chatted with our dog groomer for a bit to let her know why we weren’t bringing our dog in for grooming. He’s had health issues that kept us from bringing him. I’m sure I’ve told you about him getting his toe caught in a stair step that leads to our deck. The toenail was seriously damaged and we took him to the vet right away. The injured foot is doing better now but it is far from healed. I’ll call for an appointment with the groomer in a week or two.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hello team.

Crazy work day which is my fault because I warned everyone I am OOO tomorrow and Friday. It has been non-stop since I logged in. The day is flying by which is great.

For what am I grateful for in this moment.
    • Another healthy day.
    • My job. I know I bit-h and complain about it, but I must never fail to forget I am working and am able to keep my lifestyle when so many cannot; especially now.
    • Smokey the Cat even though he is being a pest right now and does not understand it is not the weekend and I cannot take a nap with him.
    • The absolutely picture perfect day. The sun is shining, the humidity is low, and it is in the low 80s.
    • Life and all of its ups and downs. Without a comparison how in the world would we know when it is a great day.

Back to work!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,063 Member
    (((((((((
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,602 Member
    edited April 2020
    By the way, my lovely York friend sent this article from the Guardian about why I am finding the lockdown a relief. :D>:):D
    I'm glad I'm not the only one.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/29/coronavirus-lockdown-anxiety-mental-health?CMP=share_btn_link

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Here is an extract relevant to me.

Although this drop in anxiety might well be transient, the reasons behind it are worth exploring. Jasmine Cooray is an integrative counsellor working with people suffering from anxiety and depression. She has noted that “lockdown relief” has been especially pronounced in people who have high levels of internal pressure. “People who are driven by keeping up appearances, productivity, showing up to everything, achieving lots, being visible and being there for everyone have found themselves chilling out, landing in a feeling of relief at not having to perform any more. Because they have been given permission to do what they want to do … their relationship to themselves is much more authentic and organic as a result of not having an audience.”

Anxious rumination can be eclipsed by real-world, serious events that blow those thoughts out of the water and offer a sense of perspective. Fomo has lost some of its power now that the scope for envy-inducing activities has shrunk. We are all acutely aware of our own soft-bellied human vulnerability at this moment. It’s OK to not be OK, and to say so.

So true for me.
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 861 Member
    Hi all, doing this with two windows open today, so reading and commenting as I go, hence the updates for some! I'm also sure that I missed a LOT of things that I wanted to comment on, please know that even if I don't comment, I have read your post and am laughing, crying or jumping for joy with you.
    Kylia, so sorry about DH's mom. One thought that has kept me going since I lost my parents is that at least it happened in the natural order of things. This may sound a bit harsh, but we are meant to bury our parents. That doesn't make it easier, but I would bury my parents 10 times over instead of having to bury a child (which I have not had to go and I pray that I never will have to do!) I simply can't imagine the heartbreak that some members of this community and their extended families have gone through with having to do that.
    Rita, may the lowlife scumbags who broke into your storage unit be infested with something that makes them so itchy that no amount of scratching will ease the irritation! (Sorry, that's the best I can do, don't have Lisa's way with descriptive phrases!) On the upside, your celery looks great! Reading further, so glad to hear that some stuff has been located! Pretty flowers, no idea what they are tho! As for the scorpion.... eek!
    Lisa, so sorry to hear about the jacka$$es in your sister's neighborhood as well. I also feel they are a tremendous waste of skin, and air! So very sorry to hear about the lack of support that you are getting workwise. I can only imagine the frustration with having to work with folks whose vision is so focused on only one thing that they simply cannot see the forest for the trees.... And reading further - $48,000 for mailing?? Did I read that right? Love your painting!
    Karen, glad you got your little truck back!
    Annie, I play Word Cookies on my tablet and phone. It's kind of fun, can be a real time sucker tho, but it does exercise the brain a bit also. I have learned a few new words! lol
    SuziQ, your kitty is gorgeous! Thank you for all the funnies, you do find some good ones!
    Kim, I love the virtual picketing! Too bad you also have to deal with inside box thinkers...
    Kate UK, carrots will keep in the fridge for quite a long time, if you're used to using a couple a week anyway, you could probably use them up before they go off. Alternatively, you could cut them up and feed them to DH for snacks! >:)
    Heather, your picnic in the back garden idea sounds lovely!
    We are hanging in there. I went grocery shopping 10 days ago and am hoping to not have to go for a few more days yet, would like to make it a full two weeks. But.... This morning as I poured milk over my cereal, I realized that while hubby has lots of milk, I do not - grrrrr. I will probably just have to have oatmeal for breakfast for a few days, I will not go to the store just for milk (although I routinely did in pre-pandemic days!) I will survive! My eating has been all over the map, I will do really well for a few days and then something happens or I make something that I can't find a calorie count for, and I'm really bad for underestimating so I don't bother to track it and everything goes downhill from there. It all goes back to I know what I have to do, just having trouble actually doing it.
    At work, our boss has decided that we will work a few more hours, the office is still only open from 10-4, but instead of one person in the office the full time and one person only in for 4 hours to clean, there will be two people on. She still wants us taking turns with being out in the facility cleaning and being in the office so that there will still only be one person in the office most of the time, but with having two of us there at closing we actually have a better chance of getting out of there on time. For those of you who don't know or have forgotten, I work at a storage facility, we also rent UHaul trucks. I will now be working 18.5 hours per week, up from 10.5, but still down from my regular 29.5. So, so very happy that the owners have elected to keep paying us as though we were working normal hours, they will be applying for federal/provincial aid, or perhaps they already have. They should have no trouble meeting the requirements and governments have stated they will help with 75% of wages.
    My apologies for this being so long, my own fault for only reading and not commenting for so long!
    As our provincial government is fond of saying: Stay well, Stay safe!
    Congrats to those celebrating, hugs to those who need them and welcome to the newbies! Also, keep those funnies and baby pics coming! Love them!
    Evelyn, on sunny (for now!) Vancouver Island

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate UK ❤️
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,582 Member
    Has anyone heard from Rori?

B)
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 967 Member
    Heather - I love fennel roasted and sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

I did my grocery shopping this morning. There weren't many people in there -- actually more workers stocking shelves than shoppers. However, it's still annoying trying to go grocery shopping. It's hard to explain, but people are bumping into each other now because of the one way aisles and the markers on the floor at the registers that go backwards into the one way aisles. I'd really hate to be there during busy times.

Went to the gas station today for the first time in many months. The pumps were sparkling clean! I hope they stay that way!

Tina in CA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,996 Member
    Rori- where are you?
    I stopped at my daughter's and they came outside we stayed 6 ft away. My poor granddaughter wanted a hug so bad we air hugged from 6 ft...
    With mothers day coming up.i am going to get my DD a gift card to a garden center so she can get vegetable plants .my SIL built her garden boxes ..
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 394 Member
    Lisa in AR, “Time for me to go find my poor trampled ego. Last I saw, it was in the fetal position under the couch.” Lol. I know the feeling. Especially since copying the above tidbit destroyed my copy of all the other replies I was intending to make. 😮

Annie in Delaware, I do a Yahtzee type game, Mahjong!! Mahjong, Spider, Golf and Klondike solitaire and Quiz Planet with a friend. I also love The NY Times Sunday Crossword, as well as the Herald Observer, which are both in my Sunday paper puzzle page.

Kylia, we can only imagine how hard this time is. One of the things I remember most about the last month of my mother’s passing is how bizarre it seemed that the dog still needed to be walked, grandpa had to go to the grocery, grandma still had to cook and serve meals and we still needed to eat them. I was only 18, but I became an adult in that month. I went back to college after the holidays when she’d died a much different person. That’s when I began to drink.

Rita, I’m so sorry to hear of the theft from your rental unit. That must be such a helpless feeling!

Julie, one of the things I accidentally deleted was a post thanking you for posting the English language news report. I watched it all, and found it very informative. I get BBC and Guardian reports from GB and several international news reports, but seldom here anything specific from France.

Meg from Omaha, you sound about as bored as I am, lol.

Kim from N California, sometimes us old women have a bit of trouble outside the box too, but not as often, I think.

SueBDew in TX, Riley is adorable.

I’ve always owned bassets or other mid-sized dogs. I’d love a corgi, but I think both those breeds would be too much to handle, since I need to use a cane. I’m thinking a smaller dog, hopefully not a continual barking breed, that can learn to love and be loved by cats. Not too much complicated grooming, but regular brushing would be ok. Any suggestions, friends?

Tonight between 8 & 9 I get to pick up a large order at Fred Meyer (Kroger affiliate). I have ordered materials for two cooking projects. One is pineapple bran muffins and the other is Avgolemono Soup, a Greek soup that is tangy but sort of like Chinese egg drop too. I’m thrilled, but need to get a few science projects out of my fridge and a few terribly freezer-burned items out of my freezer.

Virtual hugs to you all!

Sharon Near Seattle
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,203 Member
    edited April 2020
    Son wrote a check today to me today for $1200. He owed me rent and the rest I was going to put into his trust account. I deposited it at an ATM outside the bank. Fortunately I asked to have a copy of the check put on the receipt. When I got the receipt they only deposited $10 to my account. I had to spend a forty minutes this included wait time to speak to someone. Then I had to spend another 10 minutes making copies of my receipt to send to their dispute department. It will take 5-10 days for them to straighten out their mistake. The take away for me unless I deposit a check with a teller. Next time I will go in the teller lane. You cannot go inside the banks right now everything is drive through. I will always have a copy of the check I deposit on my receipt now. I usually do not do that. For some reason I did that today. With everything twice as hard these days the more documentation you have the better. If I was someone who needed that money yesterday it would be even worse.

I don't if because it was the same amount as the stimulus checks if that created the problem. Person over the phone only took info. Gave me no reason for this.

Friday I have to go to son's house to have the outside faucet repaired. We had it repaired in the fall. The plumber did the winterizing and I also put a cap as extra protection to keep it from freezing. It was supposed to be frost proof.

To keep my perspective I just learned my niece who is in her early forties has Covid-19. She is obese so this is not good. Also these are minor compared to the loss of DSIL.

The check book and the faucet will get fixed. Praying niece does not have a hard time of this.

:heart: Margaret
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Kate UK I love pickled carrots. Parboil them & then and pickle with leftover pickle juice or your own vinegar-based pickling solution. I like vinegar & olive oil with some spices. They last a very long time in the refrigerator. Or you can cook & puree them and if you use a plastic bag, can freeze it flat or whatever shape will best fit in your full freezer. Use for all kinds of stuff including soups/stews, breads, pancakes…

Kylia My heart goes out to you and your husband. I'm so sorry.

Karen in Virginia
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 678 Member
    I loved the Boxcar Children books,,,,, and many that others have mentioned. Reading has always been special and with the "stay at home" orders, I'm reading books that I've had saved over the years.... I finally have time to read them and pass them on.
    Betsy in NW WA