What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I'm in the first week of reduced training volume. Yesterday was a true rest day, so I went turkey hunting with my son. It turned into an unplanned "open water swim" for me when I lost my balance and fell into a muddy creek while trying to sneak along a ditch to stay out of sight of a wary turkey. :D

Today's workout won't be as exciting, unless I fall off my bike while riding on the trainer.

Big_fn_rob, That is awesome.

• klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    1 hr yoga, 40 mins - abs & upper body calisthenics, w/ some lightly weighted squats. Was supposed to jog/sprint today but my calves are quite sore.
  • BlG_FN_ROB
    BlG_FN_ROB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    An hour easy row today, again. Felt good. Handle only slipped out of my hands once with the sweat. When you do a moderately easy row like this, you look at consistency of form, data, consistent rate and try not to let the HR drift up too much. I did well on all these things today so it was a satisfying, yet painfully boring session.

@big_fn_rob - please tell me those are steel toed shoes?? You're ridiculously strong.

Thanks! And you know I never thought about toe protection. Now you have me thinking lol
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    Wanted to run 7, maybe 8km. The running gods were not with me. While I ran my last 5k at a similar pace with a fairly relaxed HR near the end I had to stop running as I was at 85-90HRmax for too long already and could not go on past 5.3km. Oh well.. one of those days. The previous fast run was interrupted because my HR didn't come up and then suddenly dropped, and this one because it was too high, and felt like a fast, tough run.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    TUE 5/5

MORNING
    Full body weight training
    33 min spin bike

AFTERNOON
    32 chin ups
    102 push ups
    both in sets to failure
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hangboarding day.
    I got under 4 hours sleep and felt terrible. The hangboarding was brilliant fun. There are many things I will never understand....

The workout was:
    Dynamic stretches; Burpees; Band stuff to warm up
    Jug scapular pull ups; jug hangs and then short (5 second) repeaters on the 21mm ledge with 4 finger half crimp as more warm up
    Loads of 10 second repeaters on the 21mm ledge half crimp
    5 second repeaters 3 finger open crimp, 21mm ledge.
    5 second repeaters one hand in 21 mm ledge one on 15mm ledge (4 finger half crimp)
    5 second repeaters 15mm ledge (4 finger half crimp)
    1 rep 3 finger open crimp 15mm
    60 kgs finger curls
    Hanging leg raises
    Yoga

As I said, it was brilliant fun. 2 and a half hours in total.

For reference, I couldn't use the 15mm ledge at all 6 weeks ago.

I also did 16,000 steps and didn't leave the house!😀
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Hour ride on the trainer tonight. 15 min warm up power/cadence drills, then 2 x (18 min @ 90% threshold/3@ recovery power) then cool down. Trying to keep up some intensity in workouts to maintain fitness, given reduced volume in May.
  • absandproteinshakes
    absandproteinshakes Posts: 159 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Full body and the post pump view is an amazing 😉 feeling.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Almost 6 miles of walking total. I took my normal daily walk this morning for half of it and then this evening I went for another walk to forage some mulberries and ended up walking another almost 3 miles. I burned quite a bit of calories but didn’t exhaust or hurt myself and I feel great still. swohbdroggh5.png
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    HIIT workout today. Tried something different. At 5 AM, the brain isn't caught up to the body, so I started cold with no dynamic warmup (not a great idea, good way to injure yourself). I'm OK, but should have started with a slow row just to warm up.

Instead, hopped right into 500m rowing sprints, then 15 either heavy KB swings, 15 decline pushups (with the feet elevated to make them harder) and 15 pressups each arm, repeat. Got to five before I was dying. Was shooting for at least six with a goal of 8. After five of them, I did 25 minutes moderate work with a few sprints on the rower (around 6000 meters) and then ended with 15 more heavy KB swings and Farmer Carries back with the weights (100 lbs or so) back to the garage.

Nearly 900 calories for the hour.
  • gjw5000
    gjw5000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Rings workout with added bicep & tricep beastingzhpz6guj80w8.jpg
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Some deadlifts today. I decided to break my legs into squat day and deadlift day. Still feeling tuckered our after only 3 sets of 5 exercises, 1 was calves.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    HIIT workout today. Tried something different. At 5 AM, the brain isn't caught up to the body, so I started cold with no dynamic warmup (not a great idea, good way to injure yourself). I'm OK, but should have started with a slow row just to warm up.

Instead, hopped right into 500m rowing sprints, then 15 either heavy KB swings, 15 decline pushups (with the feet elevated to make them harder) and 15 pressups each arm, repeat. Got to five before I was dying. Was shooting for at least six with a goal of 8. After five of them, I did 25 minutes moderate work with a few sprints on the rower (around 6000 meters) and then ended with 15 more heavy KB swings and Farmer Carries back with the weights (100 lbs or so) back to the garage.

@MikePfirrman - 900 calories the Hard Way! That is a hell of an effort starting cold at 5am.... or anytime for that matter.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

@MikePfirrman - 900 calories the Hard Way! That is a hell of an effort starting cold at 5am.... or anytime for that matter.

Thanks, I didn't feel strong at all (nothing like Rob!). I remember when I set all my PBs a few years back and these were the type of workouts I did. They are brutal, but rowing sprints compliments leg work. They work synergistically together.

BTW, 18 minutes @ 90% Max HR X 2 is no walk in the park either!

Indoor rowing's weird and different. There's two schools you would find fascinating. There's the power guys that specialize in 500m to 1000m -- just raw power. But they die after those distances but put out 1000 Watts on those sprints (my max a few years ago was around 600 Watts and that was for just a brief few seconds). Then there's the distance guys that don't focus on sprints that much. I have friends that are easily putting out half marathons at over 200 Watts on the rower (typically 25% to 30% less efficient than the bike -- these same guys can do a two hour WattBike ride at well over 250 Watts, typically). It's rare to find someone that's good at both, but they do exist. So it's a balancing act both working on power and cardio. I think that's why I love it so much.

It sucked at 5 AM but it also feels great to be done for the day! Two easy days then an off day on Saturday before I attempt 15K meters hard on Sunday. My lifting efforts, for now, are only two days a week. That's all my old body can take!

This is a great video of Brian Shaw (known as the world's strongest powerlifter) taking on a 100m all out row.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVl0Zt-kZys
  • treetpflyer
    treetpflyer Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Warm up
    10 scap pu
    6 Hip Airplanes e/s
    10 OH squats
    10 Straight legged sit ups
    8 Bent over torso twists e/s
    10 Prone behind the neck pull downs

3 Rounds for Time

Run 1/2 mile
    50 air squats

1 Round for Time

50 Mountain Climbers
    40 situps
    30 Burpees
    20 Push-ups
    10 Rocket Jumps

Finisher

Farmer's Carry 200 meters 70 lbs. e/s
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    45 minutes of low impact HIIT. Was breathing heavy the whole time and burned 300 calories! I was wiped after.
  • Deedoyle9721
    Deedoyle9721 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Dee and I just signed up here today. I do a variety of workouts from youtube. Any tips on how to add those? Thank you so much! :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    Fairly slow day. Over lunch I did a 40 minute barre class, which basically consisted of 30 minutes of endless various slow and concentrated ballet squats (all muscles engaged and posture in control - well, mostly) and back leg lifts. Whoever came up with that?!?

And just now I did 40 minutes stretching for pike and front split. With the left leg to the front it's about 7cm to the bottom. Right isn't quite that far as I injured the inner leg muscle somehow. While it wasn't stretching-related, it annoys the heck out of me as I currently also cannot work on a pancake or side split.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hello! My name is Dee and I just signed up here today. I do a variety of workouts from youtube. Any tips on how to add those? Thank you so much! :)

Welcome! Just worry about two things and don't overcomplicate to start. Gradually/Incrementally increase your load, don't push too hard and get hurt while you're acclimating and just stay consistent.

You might start a whole new thread under Exercise and get ideas of what videos are the favorites of others. I'm not a huge video person but my wife is and she definitely has her favorites on YouTube. I know her favorites (and my daughter loves them and she was an exercise instructor all through undergraduate work) are Boho Beautiful, Yoga with Adriene and FitnessBlender.

The best long-term workout strategies include cardio, muscle building and stretching. If you can include all of those and start slowly, great. Muscle building doesn't have to be hard. People make it way too complicated, IMHO. Goblet squats, bridges, planks, pushups and some basic rows and shoulder presses (or lateral shoulder raises) cover most of your body. Maybe some easier wide lunges, which are joint friendly. There are a lot of good YouTube videos that use body weight for strength which are great. I prefer the gentler ones that don't have hopping or jumping.
  • Djproulx
    Options

This is a great video of Brian Shaw (known as the world's strongest powerlifter) taking on a 100m all out row.

That guy is something else. He almost lifted the rower off the floor like it was made of cardboard!

Re: power vs distance - yeah, there's a much smaller number of folks who are good at both.

My goal is to build efficiency and muscular endurance for the 56 or 112 mile bike segment in races. In long course triathlon, the bike split is all about your fueling strategy and not burning too many matches during the ride, so that you can run well off the bike. Its not a bike race, so if you "overcook" the bike, it almost always results in a long painful walk to the finish line.