What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »

This is a great video of Brian Shaw (known as the world's strongest powerlifter) taking on a 100m all out row.

That guy is something else. He almost lifted the rower off the floor like it was made of cardboard!

Re: power vs distance - yeah, there's a much smaller number of folks who are good at both.

My goal is to build efficiency and muscular endurance for the 56 or 112 mile bike segment in races. In long course triathlon, the bike split is all about your fueling strategy and not burning too many matches during the ride, so that you can run well off the bike. Its not a bike race, so if you "overcook" the bike, it almost always results in a long painful walk to the finish line.

Which, FWIW, is a sign of suboptimal technique on the turnaround, so theoretically he could be even faster . . . doesn't need to be, though. ;)

Any energy that doesn't spin the flywheel is wasted. He's got quite a pronounced pause at the back end. HW men bucking the machine is common at races. At one I did, they were recruiting women who'd already raced to stand on the erg-legs for the HW men. He's bucking it extra hard, though, obviously.

Impressive machine time, though, at the power distances.
  • LaVeyan
    LaVeyan Posts: 2 Member
    I just started my journey today! I started off with 10 lunges with 20lbs barbell weight, squats 2 sets of 10 with 20lbs and what I think they are called 2 sets of 20 bicycle kicks. I'm trying to work out 4 times a week for 20 minutes and hope to end with 1 hour a day for 5 days a week.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    WED 5/6

MORNING
    100 push ups
    90 min yard work

AFTERNOON
    36 min spin bike
  • sn2ess
    sn2ess Posts: 13 Member
    Did a bit of a dance workout with the wife today, ran a mile (finally under 12 mins which is amazing for me)...will probably walk a mile or two tonight...
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Before my evening workout, I ran up and down these a couple of times on my lunch break...

yfbatmqu6dc5.jpg
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    5.5 mile run this morning, easy 5 miles biking with the fam this afternoon while hubby ran.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    40 min yoga, 2 hr walk, 20 min calisthenics (reward with pear galette *blush*)
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yesterday was arms and chest day.
    The warm up was dynamic stretches; jumping rope; band stuff . I haven't tried jumping rope before. I wasn't very good at it - max reps was probably 15. I need more practice! It was fun, though - it certainly gets the heart pumping.

The main lifts were:
    Military press (40kgs) - 3 sets; aimed to 5 reps, got 3. Final one of the 9 turned into a push press.
    Bench press (65 kgs) - 3 sets; aimed to press 5, got one triple and the rest were double.
    Bent over rows (70 kgs) - 5 sets of 5.
    I weight 65 kgs, and these lifts are close to PRs. I was 20 kgs more when I got the PRs, so I was happy.

The post lift gubbins was:
    Dips - 3 sets of 10
    A progression intended to lead onto front lever - I reached step 2 of 5.
    Yoga to end.

This was a 2.5 hour session.

I started today with 1 hour's yoga. Tonight is leg day. I'm thinking about doing 2*bodyweight deadlift. I've done it before, but not for a while. My last session was not too far off, so it's not a big jump.
  • cyw5
    cyw5 Posts: 10 Member
    Today was leg day.

Glute Activation:
    20x Banded Crab Walks
    15x Banded Glute Bridges
    10x Banded Standing Hip Abduction
    10x Banded Standing Kickbacks

Workout:
    3x15 Bulgarian Splits Squats with Rucksack
    3x15 1 1/2 Banded Hip Thrusts
    3x20 Banded RDLs
    4x25 Seated Hip Abduction

Booty Burnout:
    2 sets
    20x Curtsy Lunges
    15x Banded Elevated Glute Bridges

Abs:
    3x55secs Stomach Vacuum
    Ab Circuit:
    2 sets
    20secs V Ups
    20secs Bicycles
    20secs Heel Reaches
    20secs Flutter Kicks
    20secs Sit Ups

It looks a lot, but it really isn't :smiley:
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2020
    Everyone is really doing fantastic! I'm inspired by you all!

My usual boring workout today -- one hour of an easy row. Legs are a bit sore today as expected after yesterday's session. First 30 minutes today seemed easier then it was a bit hard. Even hour "easy" rows aren't that easy. Did a decent job of keeping HR down under 150 for the entire row. I usually like it a bit lower on slow steady days, but that's not unusual on the day following a hard day. The HR seems to settle down lower by two days after a hard session (that will be tomorrow's easy workout). Roughly 800 calories burned today.

Working on getting a misting fan but they are on back order. Yesterday was in the mid 70s during my 5 AM workout and it was 105 by the afternoon in Tucson (a record). It will soon be in the 80s when I do my 5 AM workout, so I'm getting a strong misting fan to keep me cool while I row.

Over 3000 ft altitude and dry and hot -- ideal training climate I'm told by my friends but not easy at times.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    After 40 minutes of fiddling, I got my pull-up bar installed! Ordered it 6 weeks ago and it finally came! So upper body workout today :) I will walk and hopefully get some abs in later.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I ran 8km, or 5 miles for the first time in ages tonight. And the first time I ran for an hour without stopping in ages. Very happy.

during lunch I did a bit of stretching.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Beautiful night for a run in the woods. Got out for 5 miles on the trails with two friends. They took it easy on me, since they're both recovering from injuries and just running for fun these days.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    25 min yoga.
    Lots of running around to stores on my covid monthly run for myself and others.
    20 min calisthenics
    Might do some weights later.....?able

• sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    and then i mopped my apartment 🥵

7gjuj99psjra.jpeg
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited May 2020
    I did an hour's yoga at 7 a.m.

Over lunch, I did 2 sets of 2k rows on the erg, with 4 minutes' rest between the sets. Both sets were 2.08 pace.

In the evening, I lifted. I did 5 sets of 5 @ 70 kgs for squat. (I went light as I wanted to go heavy on the deadlift.)

I did 2 sets of 5 @120 kgs, deadlift. This is at 65 kgs bodyweight, so it is getting towards a decent effort
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Just did some CX work, at least what I could without bands. I will do some walking today. I found a purpose to my walks! About 10 min walk away is a collection site for used clothes/shoes. So I'll be filling my backpack everytime I head out with a couple of bags. Inefficiency = exercise ;)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2020
    Felt compelled to change up my normal one hour row this morning. I can't run anymore with my knee, but I can row. #IRunWithMaud

3589 meters is 2.23 miles, BTW. This was easy recovery type work for me.

First interval was slow because I had to literally get up off the rower and take my 3 dogs inside at 5AM - the girl, Lucy, decided she would start barking at people taking out their morning trash, so I had to run her upstairs and put them in with my wife while I rowed. They like to be with me all the time but neighbors aren't so understanding at 5AM about dogs barking!

k639rys7xd7l.jpg
    yivuh3byp8ev.jpg
    9c2kw7io5xql.jpg
    0tra5qquftic.jpg
    78mx1btum984.png
  • tsumawarihon
    tsumawarihon Posts: 4 Member
    I really miss workouts. But I have problems in my family, so I can't force myself to train.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Metcon3 class on the Equinox app called Variis. I could do intervals every day !!!