Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

To Keto or Not To Keto?

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Whichever "diet" you choose will only help you lose fat if CI<CO. They all can work. Pick one that provides your body with all the nutrients it needs also one that aligns with your personal preferences...
  • lola_1997
    lola_1997 Posts: 7 Member
    I guess it just depends on your body type and how you normally eat, but for me personally, keto would make me gain a lot of weight. I am naturally a carb burner/ectomorph so a more balanced diet is best for me. anything remotely low carb makes me extremely bloated, lethargic, put on weight, always starving. even for those bodies benefit from keto, it seems not to be something that people can stick to long term. so unless you have specific health problems, I think a more balanced diet is a healthier and more sustainable option.
  • lola_1997
    lola_1997 Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2020
    im just saying im naturally tall and on the slim side, hard to gain muscle and weight. and by carb burner I mean that my body seems to tolerate carbs much better than most/I gain weight more easily from protein and fat vs carbs.

from what ive seen (and experienced in different contexts), these types of fat diets are overly restrictive and not easy to maintain.

for people who benefit from keto, it can be an effective option for weight loss short term. but whats the point of losing weight if you're going to keep it up for a year or two? plus, even if you can keep it up, im sure that 10-20 years down the line it has negative effects on your heart/organs (from what ive read).

if you have a specific medical or health issue that requires keto, its great, but I just dont think its a great option for anyone who is trying to keep weight off long term and live a healthy normal life.
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    mmebouchon wrote: »
    New to trying keto but I am doing it not so I can eat unlimited fat and meat but to try and regulate my hunger. It is difficult for me because I love fruit and veggies (especially fruit) If anything think I have an unhealthy relationship with fat, having been raised believing it was bad. The keto diet is forcing me to eat more healthy fats and more protein in an effort to meet my macros. It is still way too soon in my journey to know if it will work for me or not but I am giving it a try.

I don't think there's anything wrong with keto if done healthfully, but in your shoes -- and if you haven't already -- I'd try just lowering carbs and increasing fats and protein. If you are a big carb eater and were eating too few healthy fats and not enough protein, often something like setting protein for 0.8 g/lb of a healthy goal weight (what is often recommended for keto too), and then carbs at 40% or less and then reducing from there if hunger is still an issue, and then treating your fat as a goal rather than a limit can be an approach. (And some find fiber is more important than any macros for hunger, while others find meal timing makes a difference for them.) Cutting out (or almost out) something as healthy as fruit if you love it seems like a shame, and there are many in-between approaches.

Thanks for your reply lemurcat2. I seem to be following what might be a low carb diet instead of keto. I try to stay under 50 net carbs and it has eliminated my hunger between meals. It has helped me to add in some extra fats in my diet. More olive oil and avocados for sure. I have never been a big carb eater except I think I was over consuming sweet fruits. The fantastic thing about reducing carbs for me has been paying more attention to net carbs in various fruit and veggies and picking which ones I will eat based on my daily quota. I don’t think I have reduced the amount of servings I am eating of fruit and veggies together but I have definitely increased my low carb veggies
  • mmebouchon
    edited May 2020
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I eat a variety of meats (ground beef, various cuts of beef, chicken (thighs, wings, and breast), turkey, lamb, venison); eggs; dairy (mainly low fat Greek yogurt, cream and Irish butter); low gi fruits (blackberries, strawberries, raspberries); vegetables (avocado, onions, peppers, zucchini, spinach/salad mixes); fish (Ahi, salmon, mahi mahi); nuts/seeds (chia, peanut, pumpkin, macadamia, walnut, hazelnut); and oils (avocado and olive). So almost zero added sugar. I still focus on fiber and i focus on whole foods. On top of my diet, i do refeeds and occasionally diet breaks (like this weekend). So i would certainly argue the one can have a very healthy Ketogenic diet if done properly.

psuLemon this list of low carb food that you enjoy is very helpful.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    I eat a variety of meats (ground beef, various cuts of beef, chicken (thighs, wings, and breast), turkey, lamb, venison); eggs; dairy (mainly low fat Greek yogurt, cream and Irish butter); low gi fruits (blackberries, strawberries, raspberries); vegetables (avocado, onions, peppers, zucchini, spinach/salad mixes); fish (Ahi, salmon, mahi mahi); nuts/seeds (chia, peanut, pumpkin, macadamia, walnut, hazelnut); and oils (avocado and olive). So almost zero added sugar. I still focus on fiber and i focus on whole foods. On top of my diet, i do refeeds and occasionally diet breaks (like this weekend). So i would certainly argue the one can have a very healthy Ketogenic diet if done properly.

No problem. Feel free to know you can certainly add more protein and less fats. I tend to get 50-60% fat (sometimes less) and more protein. The only thing required for ketosis is carb suppression.
  • mmebouchon

No problem. Feel free to know you can certainly add more protein and less fats. I tend to get 50-60% fat (sometimes less) and more protein. The only thing required for ketosis is carb suppression.

Good advice thanks again