Coronavirus prep

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    Why do people assume flattening the curve is a one-time thing? It only makes sense that an unchecked spread can and will climb steeply. Failure to maintain social distancing, hand washing, and mask-wearing are a gift to the virus. I would expect it to be worse now b/c so many more people have it--not enough for any potential immunity, but more than enough to create a disaster for all those who get ill in the period of reopening done so carelessly.

I am in no way an advocate for carelessly re-opening...I don't know about other states, but NM has a plan for phased re-opening...it's not like the flood gates will just be opened. It is already mandatory for employees of any business that is currently operating whether curbside or in store to wear masks and to keep the 6' social distance, and those things will go well into the multiple phases of re-open. I'm pretty sure social distancing, hand washing and mask wearing aren't going anywhere.

In regards to flattening the curve and there being a rebound once things start to open up...well, that is inevitable. A lot more people are going to get sick and a lot more people are going to die over the coming months and likely years. You can't quarantine the virus into oblivion. The virus is with us...it will be with us...it's not just going to vanish off the face of the earth. You can't shutter economies into perpetuity in some vain attempt to quarantine the virus away.

In New Mexico we are substantially increasing testing and contact tracing as part of a federal pilot program. If you want to be tested, you can get tested regardless of whether you've had known contact with coronavirus or have symptoms. That will go a long way in quickly isolating outbreaks and I think going forward, the state is going to need to address hot spots in isolation rather than painting the entire state with broad brushed restrictions.

I just wish more people understood this. It seems like a lot of people think this is something that will be a memory in a couple of months, and if we just flip the switch and get back to "real life" everything will be fine. Hopefully enough people do understand!

Yeah, I really don't get the logic. Viruses don't just vanish into thin air. It will likely take a couple of years just to develop some semblance of herd immunity to this thing. I am also not particularly confident in there ever being a vaccine. To my knowledge, we don't have any vaccines for other coronaviruses, so I guess I would be surprised if they come up with one for this. If coronaviruses were that easy to tackle, why wouldn't we have a vaccination for the common cold by now?

I am hopeful that this virus will act like many other viruses and recede to an extent in the summer, but I would also anticipate a resurgence in the fall...hopefully somewhat of a "summer break" will give the health care system ample time to ramp things up. I personally think we're somewhat fortunate in the US that this hit in late winter, going into spring...if this would have hit last September or October when regular cold and flu season picks up, I think things would be even worse.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,717 Member
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    i need a haircut and my shop is still closed. Do I go elsewhere? Where? Or wait?

Saw a meme today. Won't repost here because not a meme thread. Two signs printed in huge font on white paper, put in a window, facing out:

"Your hair looks great!"
    "I like how it saves lives."

Feel free to post it here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10789131/coronavirus-memes

There was a great Aquanet meme there recently which could use some company :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited May 2020
    Just curious. Why were barber shops among the first to open here, among the last in other states? Did our governor need a haircut and your governor has a private barber?

What state are you in? If Georgia, or your state's reopening guidelines are similar to GA, I can PM you something that I can't post here lest it be deemed too political.

My OH taught himself to trim his hair, and he did a great job on my ends and bangs. I'm about ready to find some youtube videos and let him learn how to cut layers. If it doesn't work out, I'll be in a ponytail all summer :lol:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited May 2020
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Why do people assume flattening the curve is a one-time thing? It only makes sense that an unchecked spread can and will climb steeply. Failure to maintain social distancing, hand washing, and mask-wearing are a gift to the virus. I would expect it to be worse now b/c so many more people have it--not enough for any potential immunity, but more than enough to create a disaster for all those who get ill in the period of reopening done so carelessly.

I am in no way an advocate for carelessly re-opening...I don't know about other states, but NM has a plan for phased re-opening...it's not like the flood gates will just be opened. It is already mandatory for employees of any business that is currently operating whether curbside or in store to wear masks and to keep the 6' social distance, and those things will go well into the multiple phases of re-open. I'm pretty sure social distancing, hand washing and mask wearing aren't going anywhere.

In regards to flattening the curve and there being a rebound once things start to open up...well, that is inevitable. A lot more people are going to get sick and a lot more people are going to die over the coming months and likely years. You can't quarantine the virus into oblivion. The virus is with us...it will be with us...it's not just going to vanish off the face of the earth. You can't shutter economies into perpetuity in some vain attempt to quarantine the virus away.
    H
    In New Mexico we are substantially increasing testing and contact tracing as part of a federal pilot program. If you want to be tested, you can get tested regardless of whether you've had known contact with coronavirus or have symptoms. That will go a long way in quickly isolating outbreaks and I think going forward, the state is going to need to address hot spots in isolation rather than painting the entire state with broad brushed restrictions.

I just wish more people understood this. It seems like a lot of people think this is something that will be a memory in a couple of months, and if we just flip the switch and get back to "real life" everything will be fine. Hopefully enough people do understand!

Yeah, I really don't get the logic. Viruses don't just vanish into thin air. It will likely take a couple of years just to develop some semblance of herd immunity to this thing. I am also not particularly confident in there ever being a vaccine. To my knowledge, we don't have any vaccines for other coronaviruses, so I guess I would be surprised if they come up with one for this. If coronaviruses were that easy to tackle, why wouldn't we have a vaccination for the common cold by now?

I am hopeful that this virus will act like many other viruses and recede to an extent in the summer, but I would also anticipate a resurgence in the fall...hopefully somewhat of a "summer break" will give the health care system ample time to ramp things up. I personally think we're somewhat fortunate in the US that this hit in late winter, going into spring...if this would have hit last September or October when regular cold and flu season picks up, I think things would be even worse.

Viruses sometimes do vanish into thin air, though, or rather, they mutate to be less infectious or less deadly. That’s what happened with SARS and the Spanish Flu and it’s the best possible resolution to Covid-19. But you can’t count on it.

Re: staged re-opening. My own county plan is a staged re-opening which looked good on paper. The reality turns out to be somewhat different. And I wonder, based on what you’re saying, if you are in the same sort of situation. Our stages are tied to the metric “percentage positive cases.” You can’t move to the next stage unless the percentage of positive cases has been level or going down for the past two weeks. Sounds great! But. It turns out that at the same time they moved into phase 1, they started making free testing for non-symptomatic people available. Also sounds great. But guess what? When you compare the percentage of positive cases of people who are being tested because they have symptoms with the percentage of positive cases of people who are being tested for no good reason at all, it looks like there are a lot fewer positive cases. It’s comparing apples to oranges. And I believe it was absolutely set up this way deliberately by someone in the government who understands how statistics work, to enable them to move ahead with the re-opening regardless. In total numbers, we have had two record-breaking days of new cases in the past week. But they are moving to phase 2 next week anyway, because they met their target of percentage.

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member

Flattening the curve is needed to keep the rate of new infections lower than the rate of recoveries. Less new infections give more time for medical personnel to devote care to those already sick and prevent deaths.
  • TonyB0588
    Just curious. Why were barber shops among the first to open here, among the last in other states? Did our governor need a haircut and your governor has a private barber?

Just curious. Why do people need barbershops? I cut my own hair for 5 years, and my wife continued for the next 32 years after that. She never stopped during the lockdown.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    This news article has an interesting graphic to show Covid-19 daily deaths compared to other leading causes of death.

https://www.ketv.com/article/coronavirus-leading-causes-of-death-in-the-united-states/32380058?fbclid=IwAR0e55H7_PtwjICSDBgP8kIkVB0FmHF8AtAOTnxLNIi6DX761rHWe2KNJK4#

Very interesting!! So the numbers only sound high, while being very much in line with the other top leading causes of death. This will soon be so ordinary it won't even be news.

Hope you all heard the sarcasm in my voice.

Yes, but while it hovers day-to-day as one of the top few causes of death now, it may be successful in reaching #1 and staying #1 if people keep ignoring reasonable precautions like face coverings, social distancing, and frequent hand washing.

Yes. Just my point. We can reach the point where everybody becomes careless and complacent because they figure if you don't die from this, you're just as likely to die from something else anyway.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    https://ncase.me/covid-19/ This site gives most outcomes given many of the confounding variables i.e compliance with distancing, shelter orders, and mask wearing. See you all in 2021.

Ha! Interesting and enlightening. Apparently I didn't know at least a couple of factors that could affect R and how they might change things!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    https://ncase.me/covid-19/ This site gives most outcomes given many of the confounding variables i.e compliance with distancing, shelter orders, and mask wearing. See you all in 2021.

This is long, but explains everything so well---THANK YOU!!! It really gives hope at a time it's needed. Anyone who is depressed about the situation now should take a look.