Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    New Mexico is anxiously awaiting news from the governor this Friday as that is when our current restrictions are set to expire. The natives are definitely getting restless and even people who have been highly supportive of the governors actions (including myself) are starting to feel as though the restrictions are starting to go beyond their original purpose and intent which was to flatten the curve.

By all accounts we've done that but we keep getting messages that the decisions made Friday will depend on the actions of New Mexican's today...social distance, stay home, etc. The problem is that in total, our cases are still going up or staying relatively static, but it is attributable largely to McKinley County and San Juan County. The Albuquerque metro area has seen a sharp decline in new cases and has very few new cases...and this can be said for the vast majority of the state. I think the governor may have some big problems on her hands if she decides to further extend the current orders based on numbers that are coming from two rural counties.

It's getting to the point where the appearance at least is overreach and these restrictions are going from "flatten the curve" to trying to completely mitigate the virus into non existence. We're at the point where I think that if current restrictions are extended past Friday that the governor will lose a lot of even her most ardent supporters and I think a lot of mayors will just start doing their own thing. Politically, that could be interesting for the metro area as Albuquerque is fairly blue with a mayor closely allied with the governor and Rio Rancho being decidedly a republican city. I could definitely see a scenario where the mayor of Rio Rancho decides to open things up and Albuquerque would remain shuttered...and while these are two separate cities, they bump right up to one another so basically it would be like having 1/2 of the metro open and half closed. I also think that the governor would start losing control of the phasing with mayors just doing their own thing.

If the governor moves to start phase 1 re-open, which would still have many restrictions, that would go a long way in keeping the state unified moving forward...obviously there will still be proponents that want to open more, but by and large I think a phase 1 re-open would go a long way...if not, I see anarchy on the horizon.

KY never limited travel and more businesses opened up today. We can get a haircut on the 25th but I cut mine and carved out some of my face on the deck last week. After about 30 days people start asking Are we there yet? After 45 days beach/marching protests makes the leaders take note after a few shootings.

The lock down was to help make sure there was a free respirator in case we needed one. Locally the ICU's have free beds. Nursing homes break outs are becoming less deadly it seems.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Our county (pop 170,000) in Central IL is closing down the drive through testing centers and local officials are talking to the governor (who put in some of the most restrictive guidelines in the country) about more regional opening plans.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Just curious. Why were barber shops among the first to open here, among the last in other states? Did our governor need a haircut and your governor has a private barber?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Just curious. Why were barber shops among the first to open here, among the last in other states? Did our governor need a haircut and your governor has a private barber?

Funny you say that. This was my son's gripe, too. He was supposed to get a haircut right before the shutdown and was annoyed he couldn't get a haircut for who knows how long yet our governor giving daily briefings on TV has had nicely cut hair the entire time.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Funny you say that. This was my son's gripe, too. He was supposed to get a haircut right before the shutdown and was annoyed he couldn't get a haircut for who knows how long yet our governor giving daily briefings on TV has had nicely cut hair the entire time.

Chicago mayor got crap for having her hair done during closures.
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    I n
  • corinasue1143
    Options
    i need a haircut and my shop is still closed. Do I go elsewhere? Where? Or wait?
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i need a haircut and my shop is still closed. Do I go elsewhere? Where? Or wait?
    Call your shop or hairdresser. A rather large number of them are still secretly open.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    After this, I think many others will choose to work from home if their company will allow it. A change is gonna come. We're not going back to the same ole same ole or abby normal we're grown accustomed to.

9qffhv01sime.png

Yes, I would continue working at home if possible. But if this ends up being permanent, I would setup a better space for it. A different desk, chair, screens, etc. setup. As long as it keeps getting extended, but is said to be "temporary," it isn't worthwhile to do that.