WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Replies

• Shonafreshstart
    Shonafreshstart Posts: 20 Member
    edited May 2020
    Hi everyone,
    Another cold sunny day here in France so I'll be out walking again later. I find that the activity and a good dose of sunlight help to lift my mood and cope better with the stress and worry.

I tried out a new recipe for dinner and was really pleased everyone liked it. Lemon chicken with noodles and green veg. That probably sounds really simple but for me (not exactly a gourmet chef 🤣😂❗) it was an achievement.

@Snowflake1968 It's true that writing things down helps. Thanks for the reminder. I've neglected my journal over the last couple of weeks and must get back to it.
    @cityjaneLondon Elizabeth David was a favourite in our house. Unfortunately I seem to be the least enthusiastic and least talented cook of the family! I have to keep it simple.
    I heard on the radio this morning about 'La' COVID! Not exactly the biggest problem! No idea if it'll stick....

Today I'm going to try to ....
    📍do 16:8
    📍Log all & stay green
    📍Exercise at least 45m
    📍Don't binge/eat rubbish
    📍eat more fruit and veg
    📍Get things crossed off my to do list
    📍Stay calm for home schooling

Hope you all stay well and have a good day wherever you are
    Shona from France ☺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇫🇷
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    SuziQ Happy Birthday

It is my 75th today, first and last (I hope) lockdown birthday. Slould have a nice day, hubby has done shopping, got me lots of fruit and ice cream (naughty) He is cooking me breakfast about 11am. I don’t usually eat until at least 1pm but will have it as my main meal. My son and his wife are going to walk round to see me this afternoon it will be nice to see them in person, although no hugs of course. Daughter has sent flowers but they haven’t arrived yet.
    Got card and present from neighbour and another friend popped a card in last night.

Will do some exercise before breakfast

Stay safe
    Kate UK❤️

Happy Birthday!!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Heather When you make your ragu, do you fry the bits of chicken liver to a crisp separately in bacon grease and then add them in? Or just add them raw to the mince? And do you add cream as some people do? I've never made ragu, but I've read about it and always thought I would omit the chicken livers if I made it, but now I'm curious about why it's so important. I don't love chicken livers. What do you serve your ragu with? I know you don't eat a lot of pasta.

I ate octopus while in Mexico when I was a teen. It was fantastic. All very small, and deliciously prepared. But no large rubbery tentacles which I just can't deal with. Isn't the squid rubbery? My spouse loves calamari, but I am neutral at best. I usually taste one bit, and she eats the rest.

>>>

Kim Your thrifty "game" reminds me of a "Dee" story. (Dee was my mom). Dee was a really wonderful seamstress, and she was blessed with excellent spatial intelligence, so in the early years when money was tight, she relished using her sewing fabric to its max - there were many "bonus" children's and doll clothes out of the leftover fabric…and then of course quilt squares. Thrifty. She thought it was fun.

>>>

I adore the children photos. They make my heart so happy. The recent photos of Joaquin, Miguel, Athena, Levi, Randie the Snake Charmer, and JR - <3 - such fun little people.

>>>

Beth Oh such a lovely story about your shy neighbor girl and the rainbow water color pencil drawing. It will be fun to see how your friendship with her blossoms.

>>>

Lisa I hope your hip heals quickly. Such an annoyance.

>>>

SuziQ Happy Birthday! What are your plans for the day?

>>>

Tonya, Beth, Amber Prematurity is such a challenge. It makes me sad that Beth's son didn't get surfactant. It was being used in many NICUs in the 80's, but did not become standard protocol until 1990, after Beth's son was born. It makes such a difference in premature lungs. Tonya, wondering how much intestine was removed from your daughter due to NEC? Horrid complication for these preemies. And Amber with the eye issues (was it ROP or retinopathy of prematurity that you had?) I'm guessing you are terribly near-sighted. You can probably thread a needle one inch in front of your eyes, but can't read a street sign at night worth beans.

<<<

Tonya Another gorgeous photo - the essence of pristine frostiness

>>>

Carol Great news about your son's re-hiring.

>>>

Tracey and Heather lol - our video chats with Olivia (3) and Phoenix (2) consist of much running around, referee Mom keeping the peace and moving the tablet around to show what the kids are doing, Mom's face popping into the camera making little 'aside' comments as she follows the children as they hop from activity to activity and have little tussles. Oh my. It's exhausting. I'm not sure if my anticipation is one of joy or dread. A little of both.

>>>

Shona from France I think I missed how old your children are?
    I think your simple meal sounds delicious. I love simple foods, as well as more complex recipes. Many of my favorite dishes have 5 ingredients or fewer.

>>>

I was busy with lots of projects yesterday and ended up deliciously exhausted, so I slept well. Got our small raised garden planted with plants - tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, parsley, eggplant, hot peppers. Hope they all thrive.

>>>

We are going to watch Lilliana a couple of days a week for the next 3 weeks. Very busy time for her parents coming up. We do have a good plan to minimize exposing each other, but of course the baby will be the common close contact between her parents and us, which can't be avoided if we are going to care for her. It is a risk. Both my partner and I plan to be tested for the antibodies, though it is not a perfect test. My partner already has her appointment.

>>>

In Memory of Iris Love, Famous Archaeologist, Dachsund Devotee, and Patroness of Pekingese:
    >>>

Karen in Virginia

>>>
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Good Morning!! Welcome Newbies! Hope everyone is doing well!!!

SuzyQ and Kate:
    bsa1ib9te129.jpg
    Hope you both spoil yourselves in celebration!!! I am partying with you in spirit!!

My weight is continuing to go the wrong direction on the scales. I am scared and frustrated. Hoping the rest of you are not experiencing this - especially not to this extent! I had gotten down to 169 at best (the end of last year).This morning I am at 183.5...AGGH!!! (I am 5 foot, 7 inches - down from 5' 8" in my younger days). I don't want to have to start over again! and my clothes are uncomfortable, I am uncomfortable, but most of all I am SCARED! I don't want the diabetes to continue to get worse! I don't want to struggle to get back to a size where I feel okay in my skin! Not having as much fresh food is definitely making it worse, you all have given me wonderful snacking suggestions, etc. It has just been rough...

I am staying pretty active. Baby sees to that! I love everyone's pictures!! Wish we could do a zoom gathering or something with the group. I think it would be a lot of fun to see everyone and talk to each other!

Have a fabulous Thursday! I have the day and date written on a board these days to keep myself up to date on what in the world is going on!

<3 and non-contagious hugs to all! Luci in WNC
    fe7bvgzcnbu9.jpg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Karen - never heard of Iris Love. She sounds quite a gal! Love archeology. :D
    I puree the livers in the food processor and add it.
    I could write a chapter on ragu! It is a much discussed subject, even in Bologna. The classic recipe does not have tomatoes, but I add a little puree. The abomination that is 'spag bol' - don't get me started! :grumble:
    The ragu is classically served with tagliatelle in Bologna. It is a starter. You are right, I rarely have it with pasta. Sometimes roasted butternut squash, or roasted cauliflower, sometimes half a sweet potato. Jacket potato. Spinach. I generally do a bit of carbs for DH to stop him wasting away! :D
    I cook the squid for a very long time. The secret is to barely show it the pan, or to stew it for ages. In between causes the rubberyness. Mine is melt in the mouth. Again it is an Elizabeth David recipe. I did the last one in the IP for 40 mins.

Shona - Elizabeth David to my mind is the essence of simplicity. It is more the emphasis on beautiful ingredients, simply prepared. I was struck at the age of 19 by her description of a plate of prawns and unsalted butter in a tiny little country restaurant. Perfection!
    Whereabouts are you in France?

KateUK - A very, very HAPPY 75TH BIRTHDAY! :drinker: <3 My DH will be there in October. You have done so well to keep fit and active! :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    SuziQ Happy Birthday

It is my 75th today, first and last (I hope) lockdown birthday. Slould have a nice day, hubby has done shopping, got me lots of fruit and ice cream (naughty) He is cooking me breakfast about 11am. I don’t usually eat until at least 1pm but will have it as my main meal. My son and his wife are going to walk round to see me this afternoon it will be nice to see them in person, although no hugs of course. Daughter has sent flowers but they haven’t arrived yet.
    Got card and present from neighbour and another friend popped a card in last night.

Will do some exercise before breakfast

Stay safe
    Kate UK❤️

HAPPYYYYYYYYYYY Bdayyyyyyyyyyy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Happy Birthday KateUK and SuziQ.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Kate - Happy birthday!

Beth - had to wipe a tear away on your rainbow story.

Luci - such joy in that little one's face... and unfortunately yes, my weight is also going up. I've gotten good results with a number of other major issues this year, but weight has not been one.

Tonya - love the pics of your snake charmer, as well...

My daughter got her Mother's Day gift to me into the mail the Monday after and they just got here yesterday--not unusual, she literally hates going to the post office, and always procrastinates. She sent me two mason jar candles that she made herself--her craft she's learned while she's been in lockdown. They're Amaretto scented, and the scent was so strong, I could smell it before I opened the package. And she'd wrapped a few yards of bubble wrap around each one and taped them down, too. Kind of scared to light them, the house may end up smelling like a pub. :smiley:

I've been struggling to stay out of my own funk, as well. It's like the world keeps presenting me (and all of us, really) with opportunities to be depressed. I know I don't have to recite the news to all of you, and I do try to stay away from it, but it intrudes.

And, as of this morning, am at 219, the highest I've been since my gastric bypass in 2005. I am so disappointed in myself, but I know much of my current eating is emotions about work, stress eating, and so on.

Work rant:
    I was invited to a virtual meeting tomorrow with my boss and her boss to construct a "performance improvement plan" for me tomorrow. It was presented as a way to change my goals away from dollar amounts to achievable goals such as "building relationships."

I am trying really, really hard not to a) take it personally, or b) let the paranoid voice in the back row influence my attitude. The email inviting me to the meeting phrased this as a positive step, but the suspicious little git in the back row is whispering in my ear that this is the first written step to firing me with cause before the new fiscal year in September. Which would save their PPP loan (they can't lay anyone off, but it doesn't prevent firing for cause), and saving the ding on their unemployment insurance rates.

It's been 44 years since I was on a "performance improvement plan," and that was when I was in the military and was put on a PIP for cussing out a master sergeant. While he absolutely deserved the cussing, it was very definitely a violation of military protocol and regulations.

I'm trying really hard to stay really calm about tomorrow's meeting, to not overthink it, to meet them on their terms and accept it as a positive, rather than punitive action. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    Good morning ladies!

Happy Birthday Kate!! <3 My DH will also be 75 come November. Doesn't seem very old to me. B)

All of this talk about squid has me drooling for battered and deep fried calamari that I used to get a restaurants in Seattle when I worked there. There's a little store in town with a gas station that makes mighty fine deep fried chicken gizzards and livers.

Shona - welcome and looks like you have great plans for your day.

In researching where in Germany my ancestors came from nearly 2 centuries ago, seems most of them hailed from Alscace Lorraine - they spoke German. That region isn't exactly on my bucket list but would be fun to teleport there for a day. B)

Luci
    - thank you for the baby photo - great way to start my day!!

Kim - I'm late to the party here.... love the entry to your place and that gorgeous archway. How neat that people are interested in growing some of their own food - that's right down your alley!

Beth - I got shivers reading your rainbow story. Would your son be able to do any on-line teaching at some point? I don't know if I'd have the patience for it though. :o

Time to break from here for a while. Make it a good one!

Lanette
    Rainy and cool SW WA State B)

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Lanette - Alsace Lorraine is a really interesting area. Of course, it's in France now. I think you would love it. It's like the best bits of Germany with better food! Some parts of Lorraine are very industrial and run down, but also Alsace has beautiful countryside and picturesque towns. :D

Had to bite my tongue today and remembered the lessons from some of you when I didn't come back with an instant repost. My York/Portsmouth friend is getting very obsessed about politics right now and she was quoting an article she had read. I made a mild correction to the information and she obviously took offence. Couple more texts fired off by her. I could have replied, but, with great difficulty, I chose to ignore it. o:) I actually think her mental health is deteriorating. She lives alone and has a history of severe mental illness. I hope she can see that before it's too late. She does take medication.

Going for a run this afternoon.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    edited May 2020
    I took my new trail running shoes out for a run! It was a nice day today and the reserves are open again, so we went to one quite close to us. I jogged (slowly) and my husband walked. I would jog ahead half a km or so, and then jog back to him and jog ahead again and so on. But I did walk a few times ... it was a bit hilly! So my running time for a 5K is about 8 minutes slower than it was the last time I did an outdoor 5K. It's a start!

Distance: 5.09km
    Elevation: 96m
    Moving Time: 43:50
    Elapsed Time: 56:49
    Pace: 8:36/km
    Calories: 526
    Perceived Exertion: Moderate

gxnpexxkjbhp.png

cmr7xixii7wz.png

This is my album of Tasmania in Autumn 2020 photos. All close to home.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157713457774586

Machka in Oz
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    KATE UK ~ Happy, Happy 75th Birthday! <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Review ... (Distances include cycling + walking + a bit of rowing)
    Mar-15 … 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    Apr-15 … 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May-15 … 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    Jun-15 … 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-15 … 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug-15 … 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep-15 … 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct-15 … 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov-15 … 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec-15 … 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan-16 … 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb-16 … 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    Mar-16 … 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    Apr-16 … 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May-16 … 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min
    Jun-16 … 552.1 km (343 miles) = 54 hours 48 min
    Jul-16 … 709 km (440.5 miles) = 60 hours 41 minutes
    Aug-16 … 775.9 km (482.1 miles) = 54 hours 52 minutes
    Sep-16 … 371.3 km (230.7 miles) = 32 hours 20 min
    Oct-16 … 649 km (403.3 miles) = 49 hours 46 min
    Nov-16 … 403 km (250.4 miles) = 52 hours 16 min
    Dec-16 … 511.05 km (317.55 miles) = 52 hours 2 min
    Jan-17 … 741.9 km (461.0 miles) = 70 hours 3 min
    Feb-17 … 600.5 km (373.1 miles) = 57 hours 30 min
    Mar-17 … 1113.2 km (691.7 miles) = 78 hours 25 min
    Apr-17 … 1181.9 km (734.4 miles) = 76 hours 45 min
    May-17 … 426.6 km (265.1 miles) = 39 hours 21 min
    Jun-17 … 575.7 km (357.7 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    Jul-17 … 714 km (443.7 miles) = 52 hours 23 min
    Aug-17 … 475.8 km (295.6 miles) = 38 hours 41 min
    Sep-17 … 455.5 km (283 miles) = 41 hours 25 min
    Oct-17 … 647.1 km (402.1 miles) = 57 hours 19 min
    Nov-17 … 427.0 km (265.3 miles) = 50 hours 4 min
    Dec-17 … 553.5 km (343.9 miles) = 52 hours 12 min
    Jan-18 … 590.2 km (366.7 miles) = 57 hours 49 min
    Feb-18 … 826.9 km (513.8 miles) = 57 hours 35 min
    Mar-18 … 582.01 km (361.6 miles) = 50 hours 11 min
    Apr-18 … 176.23 km (109.5 miles) = 29 hours 47 min
    May -18 … 167.6 km (104.1 miles) = 29 hours 08 min
    June-18 … 349.9 km (217.4 miles) = 36 hours 58 minutes
    July-18 ... 324.2 km (201.5 miles) = 24 hours 26 minutes
    Aug-18 ... 210.1 km (130.6 miles) = 25 hours 59 minutes
    Sep-18 ... 261.7 km (162.6 miles) = 25 hours 11 minutes
    Oct-18 ... 230.8 km (143.4 miles) = 30 hours 15 minutes
    Nov-18 ... 216.8 km (134.7 miles) = 30 hours 3 minutes
    Dec-18 ... 285.2 km (177.2 miles) = 37 hours 49 minutes
    Jan-19 ... 241.6 km (150.1 miles) = 27 hours 2 minutes
    Feb-19 ... 175.5 km (109 miles) = 19 hours 8 minutes
    Mar-19 ... 170.3 km (105.8 miles) = 28 hours 21 minutes
    Apr-19 ... 160.3 km (99.6 miles) = 25 hours 4 minutes
    May-19 ... 164.0 km (101.9 miles) = 29 hours 10 minutes
    Jun-19 ... 246.2 km (153 miles) = 25 hours 40 minutes
    Jul-19 ... 217.3 km (135.0 miles) = 33 hours 45 minutes
    Aug-19 ... 162.5 km (100.9 miles) = 28 hours 4 minutes
    Sep-19 ... 136.0 km (84.5 miles) = 23 hours 10 minutes
    Oct-19 ... 196.5 km (122.1 miles) = 31 hours 27 minutes
    Nov-19 ... 155.5 km (96.6 miles) = 25 hours 01 minutes
    Dec-19 ... 203.7 km (126.6 miles) = 26 hours 54 minutes
    Jan-20 ... 304.4 km (189.2 miles) = 32 hours 49 minutes
    Feb-20 ... 248.6 km (154.5 miles) = 34 hours 50 minutes
    Mar-20 ... 148.3 km (92.2 miles) = 30 hours 12 minutes
    Apr-20 ... 171.9 km (106.8 miles) = 19 hours 28 minutes

Friday, 1 May 2020 … 5.6 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 2 May 2020 … 5.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Sunday, 3 May 2020 … 3.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 4 May 2020 … 2.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Tuesday, 5 May 2020 … 3.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 6 May 2020 … 7.2 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 7 May 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 17.4 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

Friday, 8 May 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 14.2 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 9 May 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 14.2 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Sunday, 10 May 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 11 May 2020 … 6.1 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Tuesday, 12 May 2020 … 8.2 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Wednesday, 13 May 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 15.5 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 14 May 2020 … 5.1 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs

2020 Monthly May
    Walking Distance (km): 46.9
    Walking Time (min): 490.0
    Cycling Distance (km): 61.2
    Cycling Time (min): 257.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 108.0
    Total Distance (miles): 67.1
    Total Time (min): 747.0
    Total Time (hr): 12:27:00

Walking, jogging and cycling. :)
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    @momnafit just tell us what name you'd like to go by and a location/state. I'm assuming you're in the US, considering the July 4th vacation plans. :) You're already part of the group by posting, and feel free to respond to whatever and whoever moves you to respond! We only ask that people refrain from discussions on politics and religion, to keep this the peaceful, joyous and supportive place we all love. Welcome!

Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    rv2oltm9oz6w.png
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    edited May 2020
    Lisa - Don't blame you for being suspicious about what "corporate" is up to. The stress of this has to be making them all bonkers - laying off/forcing out/pressuring income producers is not a good plan. Especially when so much of it is out of your control. Do you dream of telling them to stuff it? B) I bet you could teach a grant writing course. ;)

Barbie - hats off to you for grooming your own dogs. :) Yesterday I trimmed around Rosie's eyes so she could see and might trim her eyebrows a bit. I have to put her in a death grip, lol. The hardest part for us is cutting their black toenails, so we just don't. The groomer has a rotary tool that grinds them down.

Heather - thanks for the Alsace Lorraine info. I know my ancestors were farmers here in the US, I suspect they did that in Europe. Although one ran a tavern when he got here. Probably more lucrative than farming at the time, lol. Though someone had to raise barley for the beer. ;)

Machka - love your Tasmania photos. What beautiful countryside. Glad you are getting your Hoka's broken in, mine look just like yours but I don't think mine are running shoes. I should probably order a spare pare one of these days.

Maintaining mental health:
    I am making a concerted effort to STOP ALL incoming. I have pretty much told my friends I have no interest in hearing about the virus, politics, etc., especially since most of it is a continual rehash and it's hard to tell what's even true these days. I have a couple news sources I rely on and that's all I need.

I was feeling like I was drowning and felt my stomach clench each time someone sent me something I was supposed to be incensed about. I am tired of the fear porn = no wonder mental health is getting fragile. I am grateful I can go out to the garden and pull weeds and plant flowers. Plus get a good walk in with my neighbor.

I tell them if they want to share uplifting Bible verses or pictures/stories about puppies and kitties or recipes or jokes, I'm ready.

I'm feeling better already. :D

Found something neat on Facebook: "Cookist" videos. Lately, they've been featuring bread recipes. Measurements are in grams but that's no biggie, easy to convert. Today she's making baguettes, yesterday was focaccia in a spring form pan. :p

Regarding cookware - I have a small cast iron frying pan I inherited from my grandmother - it's probably 100 years old and is an original non-stick ;) . My favorite egg frying skillet! I don't have any Le Creuset, but do have a large Lodge enameled dutch oven that I've had for quite a while. Yesterday used it to make a yummy beef stew with overwintered onions from our garden.

I noticed that it was getting quite a brown staining/build up and things were starting to stick, so got out the elbow grease and it's looking lots better. That thing weighs over 15# and I could use it for a kettle bell, lol.

Lanette
    SW WA State

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    momnafit wrote: »
    good morning... everyone seems to be friends here... not just a motivation group. If it's ok I would like to get in on this!! :) i was looking for motivation because my weight loss has stalled. i started strong at the beginning of the year. going to the gym 3-4 times a week and i was losing weight and getting fit. feeling really good. then "IT" hit. no more gym. i gave it a shot and tried to walk but didn't go as often as i should have. now it's down to walking on the weekends. my weight loss is a total of 11 lbs for the year and i'm losing really slow. but that's ok. i wanted to lose 10 by vaca on July 4th so i'm on track. our vaca is still planned so far. but i find myself eating more junk and exercising less. i've been down that road before and i want to stop it before i get too far. it helps when i read how everyone is doing. so i may not post much but i will be reading!! :)

i am not a big talker in this group but i've been part of the group for awhile. i still (after all this time) know everyone by their profile name and not their real name.

What kind of motivation are you looking for, suggestions? pep talks? alternatives? cracking the whip (my specialty)?.

1. for one, if you find yourself eating more junk, throw it away, it shouldn't be in the house so you won't get tempted.
    2. i workout 7days a week and used to go to the gym b4 going to work. i am a bicycle rider and runner. since the gym closed, i've started riding to work to make up for the loss gym time work (13.23 mi).
    3. i don't know the weight you are at now but if you're able to walk, that alone is helpful, if you put headphones on, that makes the walking EVERY DAY, more bearable. I have different play lists and one of them is walking. I walk to the beat of the music, so i have songs that make me keep with the pace and i burn more.
    4. drink water

I have an office job so it's sitting down alot so its not foreign to me as to the struggles other women are going through in not having a very active 8-5 job. i am at the point where i've been in the maintaining mode for years, i really haven't needed mfp for years but i do it anyway, i come to the group and list my daily stats anyway, why? i dunno, i just do.

i rarely give my suggestions or opinions in this room because everyone has one and they give it. if i don't agree, i just don't say anything. but if you ask me what i think, i'll tell you. oh... i'm 60, will b 61 this month

have a great day.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Karen - never heard of Iris Love. She sounds quite a gal! Love archeology. :D
    I puree the livers in the food processor and add it.
    I could write a chapter on ragu! It is a much discussed subject, even in Bologna. The classic recipe does not have tomatoes, but I add a little puree. The abomination that is 'spag bol' - don't get me started! :grumble:
    The ragu is classically served with tagliatelle in Bologna. It is a starter. You are right, I rarely have it with pasta. Sometimes roasted butternut squash, or roasted cauliflower, sometimes half a sweet potato. Jacket potato. Spinach. I generally do a bit of carbs for DH to stop him wasting away! :D
    I cook the squid for a very long time. The secret is to barely show it the pan, or to stew it for ages. In between causes the rubberyness. Mine is melt in the mouth. Again it is an Elizabeth David recipe. I did the last one in the IP for 40 mins.

Shona - Elizabeth David to my mind is the essence of simplicity. It is more the emphasis on beautiful ingredients, simply prepared. I was struck at the age of 19 by her description of a plate of prawns and unsalted butter in a tiny little country restaurant. Perfection!
    Whereabouts are you in France?

KateUK - A very, very HAPPY 75TH BIRTHDAY! :drinker: <3 My DH will be there in October. You have done so well to keep fit and active! :flowerforyou:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

>>>

Heather Thanks! especially for the explanation about the squid. I am going to look up Elizabeth David; I have a feeling I will be a convert to her way of thinking about food prep; I love simple preparation of beautiful, fresh ingredients. And my spouse is easily put off by complex tastes; she is a supertaster, and can't abide cilantro, anise, red pepper, and a few other herbs & spices, several vegetables, or any dish where she can't identify all of the ingredients, so it's a no-brainer for me to stick to a simpler food prep philosophy. She isn't a very imaginative cook, and doesn't enjoy it except for baking, so I do a lot of the food preparation.

>>>

Kate Happy 75th birthday!!! Congratulations!

>>>

Baby Iris is adorable

>>>

Karen in Virginia