June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Now. Here's my question - - -I am an apple watch person. I have a series 1. It is still functional. When I upgrade, I don't want to have to get data on it because guess what, I don't check my email while running.

I know the majority of you are Garmin people. Why Garmin as opposed to Apple? Convert me! And then tell me all the reasons why it is silly to buy a new watch when my watch works just fine. :wink:

Years ago I upgraded from Apple Watch 2 to Garmin 935, here is why:

1) Battery life. With my Garmin it is measured in WEEKS not hours.
    2) Footpod - Gives stride/etc data + accurate for indoor and dreadmill running
    3) It does all of the features I ever used on my Apple Watch
    4) The display is transflective so easily readable no matter how bright the sun is
    5) It is more accurate with location tracking
    6) Wrist HR is way more accurate for me when compared to readings I get at the docs office
    7) It does not need a data plan or a phone to work
    8) Later I discovered I can do things like reverse route, go back home, waypoints, and etc all without my phone
    9) Since the watch has its own GPS system my phone battery lasts WAY longer

Initially, #1, #2, and #3 were the biggest reasons for me really but over time the others became more important.

Does Garmin connect to MFP tracker and my phone and earbuds? I can't imagine a world where I'm not using my phone for music and tracking etc.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 I don't sync my Garmin to anything but strava but it will sync to MFP, your iPhone and headphones, though I'm not sure which headphones and which Garmins (though I'm assuming at least the 245 and 265). The Forerunner 245 and 265 have the ability to download 500 songs to them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I'm so sorry about your race cancellation. It's such a frustrating feeling, isn't it?

Did a lunch time run today - it was actually cold (well, 62 degrees) which is disconcerting for June, especially since it was 90 degrees on Monday.

6/1: 1.75m
    6/2: 5.5m
    6/3: 6m
    6/4: 5m
    6/5: 2m
    6/6: 6.5m, 4m
    6/7: 11.75m
    6/8: 1.75m, 1.25m
    6/9: 4m
    6/10: 2.25m
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Now. Here's my question - - -I am an apple watch person. I have a series 1. It is still functional. When I upgrade, I don't want to have to get data on it because guess what, I don't check my email while running.

I know the majority of you are Garmin people. Why Garmin as opposed to Apple? Convert me! And then tell me all the reasons why it is silly to buy a new watch when my watch works just fine. :wink:

Years ago I upgraded from Apple Watch 2 to Garmin 935, here is why:

1) Battery life. With my Garmin it is measured in WEEKS not hours.
    2) Footpod - Gives stride/etc data + accurate for indoor and dreadmill running
    3) It does all of the features I ever used on my Apple Watch
    4) The display is transflective so easily readable no matter how bright the sun is
    5) It is more accurate with location tracking
    6) Wrist HR is way more accurate for me when compared to readings I get at the docs office
    7) It does not need a data plan or a phone to work
    8) Later I discovered I can do things like reverse route, go back home, waypoints, and etc all without my phone
    9) Since the watch has its own GPS system my phone battery lasts WAY longer

Initially, #1, #2, and #3 were the biggest reasons for me really but over time the others became more important.

Does Garmin connect to MFP tracker and my phone and earbuds? I can't imagine a world where I'm not using my phone for music and tracking etc.

All Garmins can sync with MFP. You go through "Garmin Connect" and send data automatically everywhere. I sync to Apple Health, MFP, Strava, Achievement, and Run Keeper all at once and all automatically. :)

SOME Garmins can store music directly on the watch and those you can sync to headphones. For models that do not have music, you can still use your phone for music/etc. That is what I do.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,123 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks @Camaramandy648 . I am a Garmin person, but that is just because I have a bad taste for anything apple - only because I don't want to have to completely learn a new system. I like what I know and Garmin was the first fitness watch I bought.

@kgirlhart Glad you had a nice run and have your Garmin back. Our temps and humidity are supposed to be better the rest of the week. I can't wait.

Thanks for the thoughts on the HM. It is frustrating. I'm just hoping things will open up and there are some races this fall.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - sorry about your HM being cancelled. I would probably defer to next year. Although I'm sure you could do a half on your own, your first half needs to be a fun experience and destination races are the best!

@skippygirlsmom - After I run, I disconnect and rinse the hose and then put it in freezer to keep the germs from growing. A friend gave me that tip and it works beautifully!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    10k humid run today. I tried to push the pace a litte, and didn’t do so bad. But clearly felt harder than normal. And the effort was there but the pace not so much. Everything @PastorVincent has posted about heat running is so true.

Oh, and ordered Nathan running vest. Was on sale and had reward points. Hopefully it fits well - on my small frame. I just realized that I need way more water/electrolytes then my running belt water bottles can hold.
    Just hope it’s not too heavy feeling or that it would effect my running.

It will feel heavy at first. A standard hydration pack holds around 50oz of water. That is just over 3 pounds of water by itself. Once you add the weight of the vest and anything else you might stick in it, you could easily hit 5-6 pounds. The nice thing is a well-made vest spreads the weight out so you notice it less, but you probably will notice it at first. Over time you get used to it and it sort of fades away.

That makes sense. It comes in Wednesday, so I’ll give it a try on my long run on the weekend.

One great thing is it starts out feeling heavy, but gets lighter as you go till the end where you barely notice it!

Hoping for the best!

I do not know what you wear when you run, but the top in your profile picture probably will be a bad choice. I wear a sleeveless singlet and I would not want to go less than that. Any place the straps go is a potential chaffing point. Pay attention to how it sits and rubs before you head out. Everyone's body shape is a bit different so you just have to experiment and see what works for you.

In the pic I had taken my tank off after the run as I was at the beach, and just went in the water!
    I usually have a tank or tee on around here. I will watch for that as well. Thanks!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 Putting them in the freezer - what a great tip! I will be adopting this for sure.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

@skippygirlsmom - After I run, I disconnect and rinse the hose and then put it in freezer to keep the germs from growing. A friend gave me that tip and it works beautifully!

@Teresa502 I'm going to do this, thanks!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - sorry about your HM being cancelled. I would probably defer to next year. Although I'm sure you could do a half on your own, your first half needs to be a fun experience and destination races are the best!

I let it dry a bit. and throw the whole bladder and hose in too
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

@Camaramandy648 I've never used an apple watch (my phone is a Samsung) but I love my Garmin. I have the Forerunner 35 which is pretty basic, but it does everything I need. And Garmin's customer service is great. I've had mine for about 2.5 years and once the band broke. I contacted them and they shipped a new band right out to me. And then last week my watch stopped vibrating for alerts. I contacted them and they said they'd replace it so I shipped it back and they shipped me a replacement. I will definitely get another Garmin when I decide to upgrade. And it does connect with MFP. Mine doesn't have music, but it works with the music on my phone and I can pause and skip music from the watch.

@kgirlhart I missed you got your replacement! Yay! Feeling the vibes again I hope.

@Camaramandy648 I had a fitbit before upgrading to Garmin.

I find Garmin just are more robust, have an excellent after sales care - I too recently had my watch straight out replaced. I think for the money you get much better features and far superior battery life on a Garmin than apple.

I have a vivoactive 4s. I had GPS (so much more accurate thatln apple I've read), music, smart connectivity, garmin pay (equivalent to apple pay), HR monitor. It syncs to MFP, and basically any connected service you like - and doesn't have the issues syncing that apple are apparently having.

I got a garmin because I wanted a good inboard GPS and I didn't want to have to take my phone on runs. I stay with garmin because they are a great watch with great service.

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

I let it dry a bit. and throw the whole bladder and hose in too

Yep, I wash mine out, air it to dry a bit then chuck the whole bladder and hose in a bag and into the freezer until next time.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,414 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 - I am an Apple Watch person too but I have the 3 I believe. There have been a lot of improvements and I still love it. I do not have a data plan and it works just fine with or without my phone. I can load music onto it and connect with my wireless headphones although most of the time I have my phone with me anyways so I can text or get calls if needed.
    I run Strava on my watch most of the time but with the Apple Run workout you get more information now like cadence (current and average), rolling pace and average pace, current elevation and elevation gain, etc.. I have debated getting a new Apple Watch or a Garmin and I think for me I will stick with the newer Apple Watch. Oh I do mostly wear a HRM strap with it when I run because of my weird HR but it matches up almost exactly with the tests I have had at the cardiologist's. I haven't found anything lacking or missing for my needs especially now that they have cadence available.
    I do have to charge it every other day or so but I have not had any issues with the battery not being enough for even my longest runs - I am not however running 15-20 miles any longer.

@kgirlhart - I know the toe caps are like nothing is there. Sometimes I take my socks off though and forget it is there and then it feels really strange when you walk.
    @quilteryoyo - oh I thought just maybe a September race would get done. I'm sorry it was cancelled ☹️

I too, put the entire bladder and the hose from my hydration vest in the freezer. The guy that helped me with it at REI told me to do that.

Had a bunch of things to get done this morning so no run and it is another really hot day. Hopefully the last one for a bit though. We broke records yesterday at 103F and today will likely be close to that if not over. I am already worrying what August and September are going to look like. If it cools down when the sun sets I am going to get Hobbes out for a walk - he needs it as much as I do.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,123 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I was hopeful about the race. I had checked the website a couple of weeks ago and it was still on. Oh well. Not horribly upset as I was sort of expecting it, but it is disappointing. Still going to train and then find another one when things open up.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Hey that is a good idea! Next time I replace my hose I will have to try that.