June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo sorry about the half. If it were me I would do the distance at some point just to say I did it, but defer the registration to next year.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I got the dreaded e-mail yesterday. The AF Marathon scheduled for September has been cancelled. I have 3 options - convert to a virtual race, gift the registration to an airman for 2021, or defer to a future year. Not sure which I will do. I kind-of don't want my first HM to be virtual. I doubt there will be any "live" ones scheduled anytime soon. I know we have had this discussion multiple times, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sorry I missed this until I saw some replies to it.

If it was me I would likely gift the race to the airman. Failing that, defer. Failing that get a refund. I would not do the virtual race. I might run that distance on that day, but it will not be the same as a non-virtual race. I suggest you wait a while to see if we will be facing the second wave that everyone is talking about and look for a new HM post that wave.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Lexigraph wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

While I've been resting my shoulder, I've been wondering:

How do you guys feel about cycling vs running? Obviously this is a running group, any cycling converts (either way) out there, and if so, why? @Camaramandy648 , short of an injury, would you ever switch to cycling instead of running?

Does anyone here both cycle and run frequently as forms of exercise (other than training for a triathlon or something similair)? If so, why both and not just one? Are there any particular benefits to one over the other, or does it just come down to person preference?

OOOOOHHH MMMMMMMMMM GGGEEEEEE! How could you ever bring up the EVIL EVIL EEEEVVVIIILL sport of cycling in this thread!?!?!?

:D

Joking of course. There are a few people in this thread that cycle in addition to running. I am sure there is a similar thread to this one dedicated to cyclists. We are a pretty inclusive bunch so cycle all you want, we will not kick you out of the thread but if you are looking for specific cycling advice, a cycling focused group would have more of that.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

How do you guys feel about cycling vs running? Obviously this is a running group, any cycling converts (either way) out there, and if so, why? @Camaramandy648 , short of an injury, would you ever switch to cycling instead of running?

Does anyone here both cycle and run frequently as forms of exercise (other than training for a triathlon or something similair)? If so, why both and not just one? Are there any particular benefits to one over the other, or does it just come down to person preference?

I've been taking some walks on the beach, and did a bit of light lower body and core exercise yesterday, and it was really nice to get moving again.

My shoulder is getting better, I think, I've been trying not to strain/use it much at all, so it's hard to tell. I did some light yoga/stretching after my workout yesterday and I definitely felt it while reaching behind to grab my foot for belly down dancer pose (not sure if this is the actual name). We are also doing some overhead fiberglass work on the bottom side of our boat, which I was worried about aggravating my shoulder, but it seems to be fine. My arm muscles are a little tired tho.

Some friends and I are going for a hike today, and I plan to start doing some short runs again next week. A friend has lent me a bicycle, which I'm pretty excited about. I used to cycle a lot, as my main form of transportation, while I was in university and really loved it. If my shoulder continues to bother me I might start cycling more than running, though I'd really like to at least come close to my goal of running 40 km this month!

A wonderful opportunity for a Monthly Question

What do you do outside of running for health; physical, mental or emotional?
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman Side effects of medicine can be horrible. Hope you can figure out how to mitigate yours.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    06/01-06/07: 21.4
    06/08: 3.1
    06/10: 4
    06/11: 3.1

exercise.png
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270
    Outside of running:

Peloton cycling - a great community of really fun people. Also love their yoga, strength and stretching classes
    Hiking: We love to hike but mainly only do it when we travel - the great outdoors is so good for mental health
    Walking: while listening to a good book or music
    Yoga: this is life changing. You give yourself one hour to just love who you are where you are at that moment. No changing. No getting better, losing weight, blah blah. You are perfect for that moment. Needs to all the time but yoga is where I practice this best.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I've been MIA the last couple days as I took some total rest days to help my shoulder heal, which included some celebrating for a friends birthday.
    zvqyzb7esp4a.jpeg

I've been taking some walks on the beach, and did a bit of light lower body and core exercise yesterday, and it was really nice to get moving again.

My shoulder is getting better, I think, I've been trying not to strain/use it much at all, so it's hard to tell. I did some light yoga/stretching after my workout yesterday and I definitely felt it while reaching behind to grab my foot for belly down dancer pose (not sure if this is the actual name). We are also doing some overhead fiberglass work on the bottom side of our boat, which I was worried about aggravating my shoulder, but it seems to be fine. My arm muscles are a little tired tho.

Some friends and I are going for a hike today, and I plan to start doing some short runs again next week. A friend has lent me a bicycle, which I'm pretty excited about. I used to cycle a lot, as my main form of transportation, while I was in university and really loved it. If my shoulder continues to bother me I might start cycling more than running, though I'd really like to at least come close to my goal of running 40 km this month!

@Lexigraph I am quite - and I mean HUGELY - devoted to running. It is my ONE thing and it is the thing in my life that I am most in love with for myself. Of course, aside from my faith and my kids. But the running is for ME and I won't trade it for anything.

But to your point - -yep! I cycle with my son - and there have been times when my IT Band is giving me so many troubles that I've switched to the bike and had zero pain. I do think running is a better workout, cardio and otherwise. I also like it more for endorphins :) I have read that cycling is a great way to cross train with running with less impact. I hope this answers what you are asking.

@shanaber awesome - I know Garmin is the watch but I love Apple so much. I may just upgrade to the 3 for the cadence feature! The series 1 doesn't have that! And my battery life is horrible!

The Summer Binge videos are coming out on the aravaipa Instagram and I am hoping to get to watch them today. I probably won't - but maybe by writing it here I will remember that I want to. :)

@Tramboman yep! Side effects are THE WORST. That's the biggest thing for me when medicating for anything (currently it's sleep maintenance/ anxiety). I've had three different meds and have finally landed on one that seems to do what it is supposed to without also ruining my life. I hope you are able to get yours under control. Remember -- you are doing great. KEEP GOING.