Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    And a friend who is an at risk person (lung issues) and has been home since 4/1, saw her COBRA payment go from $1566/month to $1706/month for family covera7/1.

I'm starting to think the financial fallout of this 2000 Pandemic will be a negative long after we stop tracking COVID-19 deaths. The direct and indirect business cost increases are getting past to the consumer. Business failures will decrease competition leading to price increases. Kind of a bad time to be be retired , near retirement or have a deleted job.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Re Pork Products price rises,

(From the UK) I read something to the effect there can be difficulties right at the start of the process, getting the animals to the abattoir from farms and processing them. Even keeping premises going with reduced staffing because of the virus. Needing to increase the availability of protective clothing, not to mention making booths on packing lines so distancing can be observed properly while still providing the service the public need. That was something I'd not considered. Some manufacturers may reduce the span of products they produce choosing to present them in the most convenient way for most people enabling the packaging department to provide higher volumes because the process can be uninterrupted. A consequence of this could be more expensive cuts could become more expensive because they are more complex in production. So it seems, may be, not every producer/shopping outlet are hiking prices simply because they can, some of it could be necessary. I hope its the latter.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    SeanD2407 wrote: »
    Can't believe i've lost more weight without the gym then i was with it. Insane.

Water weight loss and muscle mass loss?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Three things never die. Cactus, Fruitcake and 'Rona. :p

That was the best thing I've read in ages! Thanks for the giggle.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Three things never die. Cactus, Fruitcake and 'Rona. :p

I'm learning that about cactus. They are pretty amazing!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Here's a fun story for you. This is by far the stupidest thing I've seen so far. I was at the store and this guy standing near me literally pulled his mask down to sneeze out into the open air and then pulled it back on. I guess he didn't want to breathe in his own sneeze and mess up his mask with sneeze juices. Thanks, buddy. 🤧 I navigated away from him ASAP, but I couldn't freaking believe it. And there was an elderly woman standing right in his sneeze zone.

Not only are more than half the people not wearing masks anymore, since the local leadership caved to the complainers and made masks optional but recommended, some of those who are wearing them are doing crap like that.

Opening things up wouldn't be so bad if people would behave themselves and follow recommended guidelines. Especially when we're living in a covid hot zone.

When we make things optional, like wearing masks in stores, people seem to choose poorly. It seems to be all or nothing with people. They are acting like it has to be a complete shut down OR completely open and throwing all caution to the wind. Why can't we open things up AND use precautions?
    Jeez Louise. I feel like they need to issue everyone with official 6’ long sticks - if I can reach you with my stick, I am legally allowed to hit you with my stick...

Bwahahhahahaha!

Issue the order - I'm ready for battle! My staff training may finally pay off... ;)

5l43djttapa1.png
    z6oq5clvj4ar.png

I've seen video of myself doing staff training. Sadly, it did not look like that. :grimace:;)

Some of the behavior in stores does have me thinking again about exploiting li'l ol' lady privilege to carry a (gratefully, so far) physically unnnecessary cane, so I have the option of whacking people with it at an extreme.

I was out again today at 3 stores (local health food grocery, Whole Foods, Costco), and again the experience varied some (in terms of number wearing masks) and how people behaved, as compared with other times. That mouth-only mask thing was more common today, for example.

Does anyone else find themselves getting more short-tempered? (I assume in my case it's from isolation, either unacknowledged stress, "cabin fever" or atrophy of social skills from exercising them less.) A woman behnd me in the exit line at Costco was very impatient - I'd almost swear she clicked at me at one point, like some form of indoor horn-honking. (I admit to being a li'l ol' lady, but more spry than doddering physically, truly.) At one point, behind me, she muttered "does she have to be so slow", either about the receipt-checker at the door, or the woman just finishing being checked, who was getting her stuff together. I admit, I turned around, looked her in the face, and raised an eyebrow at her (above my mask :lol: ) quite emphatically, though I did keep my mouth shut. This is really not like me. I rarely get irritated, and pretty much never broadcast it. (In my particular Scandinavian Midwestern subculture, a raised eyebrow is a very strong expression of emotion. :lol: ).

Oh, I'm bitchy in normal times, but last time I went to my closest grocery and some were just disregarding the posted rules (not masks, but the cart rules, and the arrows), I was muttering to myself about it. I realized I was being a freak and doing no good, but still. I decided just not to go there vs. becoming a nutjob.

Lately I've been going to my office with strict rules but few are there yet, so have been a bit on the non compliant side (doors are labeled exit and entrance but there aren't enough there yet for you to meet up with anyone).

I've found the one-way foot traffic in the stores to be the trickiest to adhere to. :) They need bigger arrows. I'm constantly back-tracking because I forgot something or have to substitute, etc. That's when I notice I'm going the wrong way. Oops.

I feel like I have to go up and down every aisle, even ones I don't need anything in, because I don't want to deal with skipping to an aisle I do need something in, and finding myself at the wrong end of it.

I kept passing an isle, looking down and seeing something I need, then having to go forward to the next isle and double back (or back up, to the isle before), it sure did create a lot of extra steps.

I feel like I should link this comment to the "NEAT Improvement Strategies to Improve Weight Loss" thread: Burning extra calories via confusing arrow-triggered backtracks while grocery shopping. :wink: :lol:

LOL yeah, but it also means I spend more time in the store around other people, and those extra steps cause me to walk past more people, where if I just walked where I needed, I might not pass those people. So, does it really cut down risk? Or make it riskier?