Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    This American couple recently travelled to Jamaica in the Caribbean and asked to have their story spread - https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBwa53kFMCA/
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that Tony. USA is a disaster zone, very sad. Glad they are safe for now in Jamaica.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    Second wave starting up here and no toilet paper this morning. Absolutely insanity at the store. Might go back to delivery again. Not worth it. No social distancing. Ridiculous.

Where are you Hanibanani2? Sorry to hear that. I don't get why it's so hard for some to get through their head to stand away from others. I was buying a dress on sale and this woman was so close she was breathing in my face just so she could get a cheap dress. I gave her a glare but guess she wouldn't understand why.. arghh. Get outta my space!
  • mockchoc
    Options
    Oh hi from up north! It is terrible. Shame you can't run away and come stay here but the boarder is closed. No cases here.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I do have to have some blood work done at some point since I'm four months past due for my thyroid blood draw - I wonder if they're testing everyone's blood who gets a draw.

Without your knowledge or consent??

Very unlikely.

I've had lab samples undergo additional testing that I did not consent to, nor even have knowledge of. I don't think it's at all unlikely that the lab does whatever it wants with the leftovers of your sample, after testing whatever it was sent for. Be thankful if you don't get a bill for it...

well, bill paying doesnt come into it for me because blood tests are no cost to patient here.

Sometimes a doctor adds a test to the form after it has been signed by the patient and gone to the lab - I work in a medical centre and sometimes the lab will ring and say xyz test showed really high/low levels of this, would Dr want us to go on and test for abc relevant addition

But not just randomly added things done by the lab without approval.

What country are you in?

I'm in the US and would consider random tests beyond what was approved by me to be illegal, and of course charges for unapproved tests improper. But I understood the first question to be asking whether they would offer to do antibody tests (i.e, ask for approval), since they were desired.
  • mockchoc
    Options

What country are you in?

I'm in the US and would consider random tests beyond what was approved by me to be illegal, and of course charges for unapproved tests improper. But I understood the first question to be asking whether they would offer to do antibody tests (i.e, ask for approval), since they were desired.

Can I ask why you care? I wouldn't care less if more tests are done on me as long as it's not hurting me or my bank balance. Maybe I'm too easy going, not sure. As long as we get rid of the virus I don't mind what is done.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    My mother is immunocompromised. I would happily be tested every hour on the hour if it meant her and others like her were safe.

Me too. The nose swab isn't pleasant at all but still if it means one life saved I would.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    I’m in Southern Australia. It’s actually scary how much complacency there is. Complete disregard for others’ health and welfare.

Which state are you in hanibani?

I am in South Australia ( for benifit of other non Aussie readers, SA is an actual state, several states and parts of states are in southern Australia)

In SA we are Covid free now, so are a couple of other states/ territories - but some states are still getting spikes of cases, particularly Victoria which has really seen an upsurge in last week or so.

I've found most people are trying to follow the rules and being considerate to others.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Southern NSWnear the Vic border. Without border closures were screwed.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    It's interesting, we're seeing a lot of the same arguments that came up when public places and private businesses all started to ban smoking. People lamented about their personal freedoms and said "If I want to take the risk, then that's my business and my right."

How was it when seat belt use became mandatory in automobiles? Were there contingents running around stamping their feet and complaining that their freedom to splatter themselves on pavement at high velocity was being taken away?

Is anyone old enough to remember? :D I was pretty young when it became law here so I wouldn't have been aware of any backlash.

Yes. When seatbelt use became mandatory, I simply followed the law and started to use them right away. I don't remember any major objections here apart from those who had to go out and purchase seatbelts for older cars.

But my own personal experience before that was my worse accident where I was thrown from the vehicle when my driver's side door sprung open on impact. With seatbelts, I would've been strapped in and got leg injuries, but in this case I simply rolled on the ground and got a scratch on my head. Therefore I have every right to argue against seatbelts, but I'm a law-abiding citizen, so I don't react that way.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    I am also seeing here (in Italy) advertising on TV for products, especially foods, have people wearing masks. Since there is the famous "herd mentality" then the more people that wear them--the more people will wear them. As I've mentioned our numbers keep going down. There are a few clusters, that are quickly isolated, with the majority of cases still in the North.
    I am saddened by all your reports from the States. This means that you'll have to live with the fear of catching the virus much longer. I'll be leaving soon for the summer, and will report in in September. I hope to hear that the situation in the States has gotten better.

I disagree with you that we'll have to live with the fear of catching the virus longer if we don't wear masks and practice social distancing. It will all be over quicker once we've all spread the germ as far as possible. Flattening the curve was only supposed to keep us all from getting sick at once and overwhelming the health care system. I suppose it's possible that we could still have spikes that might overwhelm the system, but Even Then, the faster everyone catches it, the sooner we can stop living in fear of catching it.

Interesting argument, but of course most of us don't live with a constant wish of catching popular viruses. Many cases have been mild, but you would be aware that some people had much harsher experiences, and some even ended in DEATH.