Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Interesting article about how the U.S. ended up in this situation now:

How the Virus Won https://nyti.ms/2NumkRq

Dude. As someone who is paranoid about cyber-security, your tiny URLs are killing me (even though I know that's not necessarily rational). I can only bring myself to click on them because you've been around long enough for me to trust that you're not trying to infect all our computers (go ahead, laugh at me - I laugh at me all the time :D ).

Anyway - wow. Thank you for sharing that article.

I never even thought about it TBH. On my phone with the article, I just clicked on the "Share" button and clicked on the Copy button. Then paste here.

The New York Times has a special deal with bit.ly (at least it started out wiht bit.ly, don't know if still is), where they have their own custom nyti.ms shortened links. That's a different security scenario than the typical low-sophistication bit.ly (or whatever generic URL shortener) malware scenario, where literally anyone can use the shortener, put in a malware URL, and get a more innocent-looking short link.

Someone other than me will need to give an expert opinion on how much the risk differs. I'm quite sure it would, but I'm not sure how much, or in what specific ways. (I used to have computer security responsibilities, but I've been retired for a long time now and haven't kept up. My expectation would be that the special custom links like nyti.ms would be less risky than generics, especially if a trusted shortener source, but I can't justify that. MS is the Montserrat geographic domain, FWIW, so how that's managed could enter into it.)

🤷‍♀️

I did not know that - thank you for sharing. :)

Dude. As someone who is paranoid about cyber-security, your tiny URLs are killing me (even though I know that's not necessarily rational). I can only bring myself to click on them because you've been around long enough for me to trust that you're not trying to infect all our computers (go ahead, laugh at me - I laugh at me all the time :D ).

https://www.expandurl.net/

OMG! YOU ARE AMAZING! Thank you for sharing this!
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am also seeing here (in Italy) advertising on TV for products, especially foods, have people wearing masks. Since there is the famous "herd mentality" then the more people that wear them--the more people will wear them. As I've mentioned our numbers keep going down. There are a few clusters, that are quickly isolated, with the majority of cases still in the North.
    I am saddened by all your reports from the States. This means that you'll have to live with the fear of catching the virus much longer. I'll be leaving soon for the summer, and will report in in September. I hope to hear that the situation in the States has gotten better.

I work very hard to avoid watching commercials and have not seen many in the US with mask wearers - maybe just a few from places like Amazon. I think these were youtube commercials rather than on regular TV.

For people in the US who do see more commercials - what are you seeing? Are there PSAs (public service announcements) about mask use?

I see masks in commercials for companies attempting to show they are working to keep employees and customers safe. Commercials for products, that just show people going about they're daily lives using their products, still seem to be older commercials understandably filmed before the pandemic.

I see PSA's from my local news and health dept, nothing national or corporate.

And the TP companies keep telling me how hard they are working to keep our butts clean :blush:

Definitely this. But totally agree with kshama that I tend to purposely avoid commercials. Now I'm going to go looking for them though. Also: I haven't seen any TP commercials, but your description here made me chuckle.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am also seeing here (in Italy) advertising on TV for products, especially foods, have people wearing masks. Since there is the famous "herd mentality" then the more people that wear them--the more people will wear them. As I've mentioned our numbers keep going down. There are a few clusters, that are quickly isolated, with the majority of cases still in the North.
    I am saddened by all your reports from the States. This means that you'll have to live with the fear of catching the virus much longer. I'll be leaving soon for the summer, and will report in in September. I hope to hear that the situation in the States has gotten better.

I work very hard to avoid watching commercials and have not seen many in the US with mask wearers - maybe just a few from places like Amazon. I think these were youtube commercials rather than on regular TV.

For people in the US who do see more commercials - what are you seeing? Are there PSAs (public service announcements) about mask use?

(in the U.S.) I have seen PSAs about mask use, and I have seen masks in some non-PSAs that are just general brand-feel-good commercials (not directly trying to sell you anything, mostly just saying "we care" or "here are good things we're doing to help out in a crisis," or at most trying to reassure you that they are safe if you do want to shop with them). But I see a lot of commercials that probably were shot before the shut-downs where people aren't wearing masks (ads with more than one person in an enclosed area, like a car commercial with Bree whats-her-name who played Captain Marvel). And I see commercials that were probably shot more recently or definitely were (because they reference COVID) where there's only person in the shot, and they're not wearing a mask.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I never even thought about it TBH. On my phone with the article, I just clicked on the "Share" button and clicked on the Copy button. Then paste here.

The New York Times has a special deal with bit.ly (at least it started out wiht bit.ly, don't know if still is), where they have their own custom nyti.ms shortened links. That's a different security scenario than the typical low-sophistication bit.ly (or whatever generic URL shortener) malware scenario, where literally anyone can use the shortener, put in a malware URL, and get a more innocent-looking short link.

Someone other than me will need to give an expert opinion on how much the risk differs. I'm quite sure it would, but I'm not sure how much, or in what specific ways. (I used to have computer security responsibilities, but I've been retired for a long time now and haven't kept up. My expectation would be that the special custom links like nyti.ms would be less risky than generics, especially if a trusted shortener source, but I can't justify that. MS is the Montserrat geographic domain, FWIW, so how that's managed could enter into it.)

🤷‍♀️

At a minimum, you always want to hover over the link to see if the actual hyperlink matches the URL that's displayed. That goes for regular long URLs as well as short links.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I wanted to pop in and say thank you for all the kind words and support. I was worried about posting about my issues and possible backlash, but you all reminded me that there are awesome people out there.

Every time I wear a mask it is a mental and physical struggle. Somedays I can win that struggle and do my shopping without much trouble. Other days... I just can't. My mind will begin to panic, flashing back to the instances that caused my PTSD. I will try and logically think it through, that I am just wearing a mask because it is the right thing to do, no one is forcing me to do so, but it just doesn't work. When I begin to panic my heart rate increases and I begin to gasp for air. Which makes it WORSE because then I really feel like I can't breathe and I panic more. It's a horrible cycle until I take the mask off. Then I am "free" and my mind will start to calm down though it is not immediate. If I try to put the mask back on, then I end up right back where I was.

I have tried to have groceries delivered and it was a horrible experience. So many substitutions. Which may be fine for most people, but when you have food allergies and restrictions due to medical issues a substitution may mean you can't eat it. For example, I ordered Coconut Aminos because I am allergic to soy. They brought me Liquid Aminos which are made with soy protein. I had checked the "no substitutions" box but it didn't seem to help. So wasted money there. Also, to be honest, it is a budget thing as well. Paying for delivery takes me over my budget and I just can't keep doing that.

So I wear my mask the best I can and try to do my shopping quickly.

Hugs to you @Athijade - the fact that you confront your demons to try to protect others is incredibly brave.

So, predictably (since I was pretty sure it was an ear infection), my COVID test came back negative (on Tuesday)... AND my symptoms have mostly gone away as of Monday (thankfully - I was pretty dizzy and tired). Prior to getting sick, I had been reporting to the office for work that is fairly critical and cannot be done from my home office. I let them know the negative result on Tuesday and that I planned to be in the office on Wednesday, and was told that I had to stay away for 10 days after the last of the symptoms even with a negative test. The stated reason was because of high false-negatives with the testing. So, we're testing people with tests that are unreliable? Why bother? Anyway, I'm frustrated because 4 months ago, I'd have gone to work sick and done my job (and I know how that sounds, I'm trying to think more of my coworkers than the job nowadays). I did the 'right' thing, and now even with a negative test, I'm not being allowed to do my job (or at least the part of it that was supposedly so critical I needed to be in the office). There should be a cranky emoticon, dangit.

My husband’s work’s official policy is that you have to be quarantined for 14 days even after known direct exposure, not just symptoms or a positive test. Makes it hard when you have a skeleton crew anyway.

Interesting... part of the problem is that we have all likely been exposed at some point, we just didn't know it. Some of us are even spreading it without even knowing it. I believe increased testing is needed because of the amount of asymptomatic, pre-symptomatic, and paucisymptomatic people estimated to be spreading it. It would be nice to if everyone could get tested once or twice per month to be able to quickly stop spreading it if infected without symptoms.

Now that tests are available in many locations, though, the current recommendations actually discourage testing. If one has symptoms, they are supposed to self-quarantine. If one has come into contact (knowingly) with someone infected, they are supposed to self-quarantine. The guidance now is that everyone who gets a test is also supposed to self-quarantine even if they didn't have symptoms and didn't come into contact with anyone knowingly that was infected. While massively increased testing is a good idea even for those who don't think they have it, most won't voluntarily get tested and self-quarantine (only because they got a test and no other reason) unless they are very sick... a situation where they are supposed to self-quarantine anyway.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    Yeah, T1D, I won't be getting tested unless it's at the hospital when I'm being admitted...for lots of reasons.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I do have to have some blood work done at some point since I'm four months past due for my thyroid blood draw - I wonder if they're testing everyone's blood who gets a draw.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    ...for antibodies...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    ...for antibodies...

I doubt it, but would be neat if they did. I'd like to know if I have antibodies.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Yeah, T1D, I won't be getting tested unless it's at the hospital when I'm being admitted...for lots of reasons.

I totally understand, and that is part of my frustration. It's logical that expanded testing should help. Testing is now available in some places for everyone who wants it even without symptoms and even without any known contact. Why not encourage testing rather than discourage it?!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I wanted to pop in and say thank you for all the kind words and support. I was worried about posting about my issues and possible backlash, but you all reminded me that there are awesome people out there.

Every time I wear a mask it is a mental and physical struggle. Somedays I can win that struggle and do my shopping without much trouble. Other days... I just can't. My mind will begin to panic, flashing back to the instances that caused my PTSD. I will try and logically think it through, that I am just wearing a mask because it is the right thing to do, no one is forcing me to do so, but it just doesn't work. When I begin to panic my heart rate increases and I begin to gasp for air. Which makes it WORSE because then I really feel like I can't breathe and I panic more. It's a horrible cycle until I take the mask off. Then I am "free" and my mind will start to calm down though it is not immediate. If I try to put the mask back on, then I end up right back where I was.

I have tried to have groceries delivered and it was a horrible experience. So many substitutions. Which may be fine for most people, but when you have food allergies and restrictions due to medical issues a substitution may mean you can't eat it. For example, I ordered Coconut Aminos because I am allergic to soy. They brought me Liquid Aminos which are made with soy protein. I had checked the "no substitutions" box but it didn't seem to help. So wasted money there. Also, to be honest, it is a budget thing as well. Paying for delivery takes me over my budget and I just can't keep doing that.

So I wear my mask the best I can and try to do my shopping quickly.

Hugs to you @Athijade - the fact that you confront your demons to try to protect others is incredibly brave.

So, predictably (since I was pretty sure it was an ear infection), my COVID test came back negative (on Tuesday)... AND my symptoms have mostly gone away as of Monday (thankfully - I was pretty dizzy and tired). Prior to getting sick, I had been reporting to the office for work that is fairly critical and cannot be done from my home office. I let them know the negative result on Tuesday and that I planned to be in the office on Wednesday, and was told that I had to stay away for 10 days after the last of the symptoms even with a negative test. The stated reason was because of high false-negatives with the testing. So, we're testing people with tests that are unreliable? Why bother? Anyway, I'm frustrated because 4 months ago, I'd have gone to work sick and done my job (and I know how that sounds, I'm trying to think more of my coworkers than the job nowadays). I did the 'right' thing, and now even with a negative test, I'm not being allowed to do my job (or at least the part of it that was supposedly so critical I needed to be in the office). There should be a cranky emoticon, dangit.

My husband’s work’s official policy is that you have to be quarantined for 14 days even after known direct exposure, not just symptoms or a positive test. Makes it hard when you have a skeleton crew anyway.

Interesting... part of the problem is that we have all likely been exposed at some point, we just didn't know it. Some of us are even spreading it without even knowing it. I believe increased testing is needed because of the amount of asymptomatic, pre-symptomatic, and paucisymptomatic people estimated to be spreading it. It would be nice to if everyone could get tested once or twice per month to be able to quickly stop spreading it if infected without symptoms.

Now that tests are available in many locations, though, the current recommendations actually discourage testing. If one has symptoms, they are supposed to self-quarantine. If one has come into contact (knowingly) with someone infected, they are supposed to self-quarantine. The guidance now is that everyone who gets a test is also supposed to self-quarantine even if they didn't have symptoms and didn't come into contact with anyone knowingly that was infected. While massively increased testing is a good idea even for those who don't think they have it, most won't voluntarily get tested and self-quarantine (only because they got a test and no other reason) unless they are very sick... a situation where they are supposed to self-quarantine anyway.

Just to illustrate my point:

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2020/jun/25/tennessee-covid-19-cases-deaths-mount-gov-lee/526173/
    State Health Commissioner Dr. Lisa Piercey, who also appeared at Lee's news conference, announced that 50% of reported cases in Tennessee are now coming from an "unknown source half of all infections that people don't know where they got infected. Now that's not surprising, because as people are moving about in the community they come into contact with people that are sick that they're unaware of."
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    I do have to have some blood work done at some point since I'm four months past due for my thyroid blood draw - I wonder if they're testing everyone's blood who gets a draw.

Without your knowledge or consent??

Very unlikely.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    ...for antibodies...

I doubt it, but would be neat if they did. I'd like to know if I have antibodies.

Just got a note from the Red Cross for a blood donation. They do test for antibodies in my area.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    ...for antibodies...

Just got a note from the Red Cross for a blood donation. They do test for antibodies in my area.

I can't donate blood because I took beef insulin decades ago. They assume I have vCJD.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    ...for antibodies...

I can't donate blood because I took beef insulin decades ago. They assume I have vCJD.

That's too bad.

I do need to schedule. I work in a big enough facility that the Red Cross would set up for donations every 8 weeks at the workplace which was super convenient. Of course now most of us are WFH so that's gone.

I don't think I've had it, but since the anti-body test comes with the blood donation would be interesting to find out.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    This article says 89% of the US population has worn a mask when leaving home in the last week.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/89percent-of-americans-wear-masks-in-public-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-persists-poll/ar-BB15YDVk?ocid=ientp

Not in my 'hood.

• ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This article says 89% of the US population has worn a mask when leaving home in the last week.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/89percent-of-americans-wear-masks-in-public-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-persists-poll/ar-BB15YDVk?ocid=ientp

Not in my 'hood.

how could they possibly know that?