Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Another update from the Emerald Isle, Thursday afternoon we had an update from Taoiseach (Prime Minister) as our lockdown was previously meant to be until Easter Sunday, they've now extended the measures for a further 3 weeks and deferred school leaving exams until Jul/Aug.

We are still permitted to take exercise within a 2km radius of our homes and essential services remain open including public transport to a very limited degree.

I expect the measures may be extended again for a least a few weeks, as they are still struggling to get adequate testing/results in place to cope with the numbers. At present we've just over 10500 cases and 365 dead, doesn't seem much when you compare it to the likes of the USA/China/Italy/Spain but we have a population of less than 5 million in the Republic, so it's quite the impact.

PS I'd like to say thanks to @snowflake954 for the updates out of Italy, I took your advice and ordered a mask, with some filters (not surgical level, I'd prefer to leave them available for the professionals but better than nothing and I'd rather be safe than sorry) just in case we do follow suit, as expected, they'll take some time to get here but hopefully should have them in a couple of weeks.

That is quite the impact. My US state, Wisconsin, has a similar population although we are twice the size in area. As of yesterday, 3428 cases and 154 deaths. Our governor is taking it seriously (although you may have heard the legislators are not, refusing to allow our election day to be moved).

Is the virus taking a similar path? Our two largest metropolitan areas have the highest numbers (as a percentage of population) and the rural areas have low numbers, some counties not having any confirmed cases.

The 5 million number caught my attention too, as Cook County, IL (containing Chicago) also has a population of just a bit over 5 million, and we have 15,384 known cases, and 543 deaths so far. I think density is one big reason, as well as being a travel hub.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    It's looking good for us so far (although I suspect we may have a spike later because an individual with the virus broke home quarantine and decided to go to work), but they're saying life might go back to normal by the end of May if no new hidden pockets emerge. They've already started a very slow gradual transition to normal

w1289we46rpl.png

Where is this?
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    WhoamI- Grandmas in her 90’s lives with my Uncle Barry she chooses to not live in one either I feel it’s in individual decision. My MIL y FIL y my Dad also don’t want to be in one so allowing them to live in their own homes with help when needed from medical to groceries. Even got Dad (dementia y brain injury) a new iPad he loves it a lot my Aunt y Uncle in their 70’s y 80’s live with him so they stay active together. Everyone’s different tho some choose to live in a assisted living center to nursing home thrive there depends on the person.

Lynn -she did have a babysitter but not someone in the home that’s why she returned home baby wasn’t there while she changes clothes y showers.Baby not home alone obviously wasn’t watched by a family member... Looked like same babysitter as before the Pandemic which even tho she’s taking precautions is the babysitter??? Assuming Dads not an essential worker or sure she could have argued that his was just as dangerous. Sure judge had more facts than we got to see. Still would like to think my Dr. non-biological Daughter I raised couldn’t have such a thing happen to her but sure it can to anyone just depends on the judge. She seemed to think what some do that this pandemic will not end in a month but could last months to a year didnt like the thought of no physical contact that long. Hopefully Skype can be used the father kind enough hopefully to allow phone time. Hopefully no one uses her case to argue their own.

No martial law here in Texas either.

They stopped the one drug their trying cloro something said too many heart ❤️ issues with it. If this is true hopefully they’ll find another quickly
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    By what I’m hearing some break quarantine go grocery shopping .Heard a few here on this site say it being their own son or daughter sure they know. Sounded like sick nursing home workers still work even at some places but not all.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    It's looking good for us so far (although I suspect we may have a spike later because an individual with the virus broke home quarantine and decided to go to work), but they're saying life might go back to normal by the end of May if no new hidden pockets emerge. They've already started a very slow gradual transition to normal

w1289we46rpl.png

Where is this?

Jordan, population a little over 10 million.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Another update from the Emerald Isle, Thursday afternoon we had an update from Taoiseach (Prime Minister) as our lockdown was previously meant to be until Easter Sunday, they've now extended the measures for a further 3 weeks and deferred school leaving exams until Jul/Aug.

We are still permitted to take exercise within a 2km radius of our homes and essential services remain open including public transport to a very limited degree.

I expect the measures may be extended again for a least a few weeks, as they are still struggling to get adequate testing/results in place to cope with the numbers. At present we've just over 10500 cases and 365 dead, doesn't seem much when you compare it to the likes of the USA/China/Italy/Spain but we have a population of less than 5 million in the Republic, so it's quite the impact.

PS I'd like to say thanks to @snowflake954 for the updates out of Italy, I took your advice and ordered a mask, with some filters (not surgical level, I'd prefer to leave them available for the professionals but better than nothing and I'd rather be safe than sorry) just in case we do follow suit, as expected, they'll take some time to get here but hopefully should have them in a couple of weeks.

That is quite the impact. My US state, Wisconsin, has a similar population although we are twice the size in area. As of yesterday, 3428 cases and 154 deaths. Our governor is taking it seriously (although you may have heard the legislators are not, refusing to allow our election day to be moved).

Is the virus taking a similar path? Our two largest metropolitan areas have the highest numbers (as a percentage of population) and the rural areas have low numbers, some counties not having any confirmed cases.

The 5 million number caught my attention too, as Cook County, IL (containing Chicago) also has a population of just a bit over 5 million, and we have 15,384 known cases, and 543 deaths so far. I think density is one big reason, as well as being a travel hub.

I don't think I ever realized before that Cook County has a similar population to the entire state of Wisconsin (5.8 million in 2019). Yes, population density has a lot to do with it but the travel hub is significant. I wonder how Atlanta is doing compared to other larger cities since it is also a travel hub.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    WhoamI- Grandmas in her 90’s lives with my Uncle Barry she chooses to not live in one either I feel it’s in individual decision. My MIL y FIL y my Dad also don’t want to be in one so allowing them to live in their own homes with help when needed from medical to groceries. Even got Dad (dementia y brain injury) a new iPad he loves it a lot my Aunt y Uncle in their 70’s y 80’s live with him so they stay active together. Everyone’s different tho some choose to live in a assisted living center to nursing home thrive there depends on the person.

Lynn -she did have a babysitter but not someone in the home that’s why she returned home baby wasn’t there while she changes clothes y showers.Baby not home alone obviously wasn’t watched by a family member... Looked like same babysitter as before the Pandemic which even tho she’s taking precautions is the babysitter??? Assuming Dads not an essential worker or sure she could have argued that his was just as dangerous. Sure judge had more facts than we got to see. Still would like to think my Dr. non-biological Daughter I raised couldn’t have such a thing happen to her but sure it can to anyone just depends on the judge. She seemed to think what some do that this pandemic will not end in a month but could last months to a year didnt like the thought of no physical contact that long. Hopefully Skype can be used the father kind enough hopefully to allow phone time. Hopefully no one uses her case to argue their own.

No martial law here in Texas either.

They stopped the one drug their trying cloro something said too many heart ❤️ issues with it. If this is true hopefully they’ll find another quickly

Hydroxycholorequine? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32205204
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

We're seeing the same thing in Central VA. The clusters and vast majority of the deaths are in the cities or in nursing facilities in more rural areas. There have still only been 4 deaths in our Health Dept District, and hospitalizations are still at a manageable number.

But that distinction is starting to make some locals restless, and I'm concerned they'll start pressuring local govt and businesses to get back to normal too soon.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    LzardQueen- not sure the news mentioned it hubby said I was surprised cause I thought it was working good enough for now. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/health/chloroquine-coronavirus-trump.html

This is what hubby showed me Said heart issues with it
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Yes, hydroxychloroquine has been associated with heart conditions
    https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2017/009768s037s045s047lbl.pdf
    Scroll to page 4
    Also, drug interactions (page 5) people with diabetes or heart conditions would have to be watched in case there are effects on drugs they're already taking.
    We need to consider that the population at risk of serious COVID-19 illness already includes people with heart conditions and/or diabetes, so would hydroxychloroquine make them sicker?
    Other things to consider:
    How long had patients been taking the drug before heart problems came up? how long would COVID-19 patients need to take the drug?
    What dose were they taking? what dose would be needed for COVID-19?

Here's another article on the topic

https://www.sciencealert.com/clinical-trial-for-high-dose-of-chloroquine-stopped-early-due-to-safety-concerns

There are some other drug trials going on at the moment, hopefully one or more will be successful for treating the virus.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Things just got stricter at the nursing home.. 1c3t8uug85oc.jpg