Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'm not concerned about delivery (I wash my hands after handling as with everything else), and given the numbers in my city I do assume anyone might have it. I limit delivery because of the reasons I did before this (high cals), but am mostly getting delivery ingredients (just ordered from a nearby farm for delivery on Tuesday), which seems to pose the same issues, as would any ingredients you don't plan to cook.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Easter party 🎈at homes (parks closed) here the cops kept running them off they wait come right back or go to another home. One neighbor has 20cars the cops ran them off an hour before their was only 4 cars then. Went in the backyard was so loud neighbors out everywhere sounded like a school carnival 🎡. Wasn’t all the houses but the ones barbecuing had tons of friends besides family over (I could understand a couple family members depending who). One stole a broken treadmill from the yard... hubby got scared he was organizing the garage we thought it was the good one at first. Relief to know they hauled off the trash lol 😆. Wish I could see their faces when they plug it in lol.

Garage looks great we organized door closed at the end Opened garage hauled to the curb all we could ,but had to move a stove y treadmill by the cars to do it.We put the working stove they didn’t steal back in the garage. Hubby went inside for trash sacks that’s all the time they needed.

In our area some jurisdictions are asking people to please not do spring cleaning at this time and have already cancelled "large-item" haul-aways that residents are entitled to request about four times a year. Some things they would normally take with regular pickup are being left, as well. I guess they're having some staffing issues, and also are trying to eliminate situations where multiple workers have to get together to move something large.

Often with bigger items left in alleys here, it's assumed someone else might take it away before the garbage service comes. Not uncommon on NextDoor to see "chest of drawers in alley at ___, if you want it." I've dumped plenty of large (and potentially usable) things in the alley over the years not sure if the garbage service would take them, and they were quickly gone even without Nextdoor posting.

At the moment, no clue, as I haven't dumped anything large or out of the ordinary. But we haven't been instructed to change habits.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Easter party 🎈at homes (parks closed) here the cops kept running them off they wait come right back or go to another home. One neighbor has 20cars the cops ran them off an hour before their was only 4 cars then. Went in the backyard was so loud neighbors out everywhere sounded like a school carnival 🎡. Wasn’t all the houses but the ones barbecuing had tons of friends besides family over (I could understand a couple family members depending who). One stole a broken treadmill from the yard... hubby got scared he was organizing the garage we thought it was the good one at first. Relief to know they hauled off the trash lol 😆. Wish I could see their faces when they plug it in lol.

Garage looks great we organized door closed at the end Opened garage hauled to the curb all we could ,but had to move a stove y treadmill by the cars to do it.We put the working stove they didn’t steal back in the garage. Hubby went inside for trash sacks that’s all the time they needed.

In our area some jurisdictions are asking people to please not do spring cleaning at this time and have already cancelled "large-item" haul-aways that residents are entitled to request about four times a year. Some things they would normally take with regular pickup are being left, as well. I guess they're having some staffing issues, and also are trying to eliminate situations where multiple workers have to get together to move something large.

Often with bigger items left in alleys here, it's assumed someone else might take it away before the garbage service comes. Not uncommon on NextDoor to see "chest of drawers in alley at ___, if you want it." I've dumped plenty of large (and potentially usable) things in the alley over the years not sure if the garbage service would take them, and they were quickly gone even without Nextdoor posting.

At the moment, no clue, as I haven't dumped anything large or out of the ordinary. But we haven't been instructed to change habits.

Yeah, in normal times, more often than not I have to call back to cancel after I've scheduled a "big item" pickup because somebody spies it and decides it still has some value, which I'm very happy about -- would rather have it go to someone who will repair it and use it or sell it, than into a landfill. With everybody afraid to touch anything somebody else has touched right now, I don't know if that would still happen.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Sorry I meant not used to... this app wont let me edit my post without that annoying report option popping up and then it wont go away lol

I also wanna add that when I say can't you do both, I mean worship and do what you can to protect your loved ones by making that sacrifice to social distance rather then have everyone over for that big party or bbq.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Lynn- I was surprised the big item pickup wasn’t cancelled either. Some pick up the metal items off the curb to copper folks toss for money at this time others for furniture 🪑 who can’t afford a couch or dining table. Everyone knows if it’s not at the curb it’s not yours! Normally no one walks up a driveway to grab or onto a porch either. I just got done bleaching my trashcans all of them for the trash pickup y I bleach them before y after with the bleach water I just used to clean my home so none is wasted!

Got my packages finally 1 can of soup busted open the delivery guy fumbled dropped. Luckily wasn’t bad so was able to save what was inside I wiped off what was outside if it y top of the can soup. So 1/3rd can wasted but enough to heat at high heat just for me. Originally was for a casserole oh well. Rebleached the doorbell for next person to ring it.

I don’t mind the homes that invited a few relatives very few to celebrate practiced social distancing best they can maybe even remembered their masks hopefully.It was the tons of friends to too many family member ones. If someone has 5 kids who had 5 each plus grandma y grandpa called up Uncle so-so his large family that’s not good! More folks less ability in a home with small backyards to social distance they had no masks . They could have scheduled times to come to see grandma even so all the huge gaggles took turns not all at once have masks in social distancing to protect grandma . The ones I saw were friends mainly huge groups tons of cars cases of beer in hand hugging shaking hands bbq going no PPE on anyone! Saw friends stop by grab a beer sit down to eat bouncing the neighbors baby in their knees no masks. Just unnecessarily putting themselves at risk y others. They could easily have had outdoor bbq 🍗 scheduled times PPE on chairs far apart eat in your lap talk enjoy go home next set come in if family members only. Not a good time to invite a friend. Well will see how this plays out I’m expecting a jump in numbers from this. Too many had the same let’s bbq in groups of 10-100 people! The house with 20cars was not 1 person per car it was spouses with their kids pouring out with older family too crammed in like sardines in a can! Some were even in large vans full to the brim. Surprised still that the cops didn’t give a citation! Holidays will still be here next year we skipped Easter completely will celebrate next year. Another family member chose her kids to only be with hubby y her Easter egg hunt in the yard watch a church broadcast send pics to grandma.