Options

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    I am gonna say it and if I get downvoted to heck then so be it.

I wear a mask the vast VAST majority of time. However, I have PTSD and a trigger is having something over my face/mouth. This is due to 2 different incidents (one medical and one not). 95% of the time I can handle it long enough to get my groceries and leave the store. 5% of the time I can't. However, the times I have had trouble didn't start to manifest until I was IN the store and doing my shopping. I HAD to remove my mask before I went into a full blown attack and started screaming or crying or even falling to the floor in a ball. I had to then find a quiet spot in the store to get my body to stop the "fight or flight" reaction. I then had to finish my shopping without a mask (though I became even more diligent about staying far away from people).

Have you ever seen someone have a panic attack or PTSD episode? It's not pretty.

I guess all I am saying is to not just jump to conclusions if someone isn't wearing a mask at that specific moment in time. Not everyone not wearing one is doing so because "MEH FREEDOM!!". Not everyone not wearing one has a "death wish". Are those people out there? Absolutely and they annoy the heck out of me because they make it harder for everyone else.

Exactly--and it's for people like you that really can't wear a mask, that the majority should be. I think that's what's firing up everyone else who is careful, and thinking of people they care about, and wearing that mask even if it's hot and uncomfortable. They see too many people without and it can't mean that they all have medical conditions. You are to be commended for trying to wear it as much as possible. No one thinks everyone can. Thank you for doing your best.

So well said by both of you.My beef with anti-maskers are the ones who are simply being stubborn, contrary and not giving any thought to other people. Definitely Athijade isn't one of those. My feeling is you're one of the few who think it through and try that hard though; at least of the non-maskers. I do see where lots of people have a mask covering only their mouth and I wonder if it's so they can breathe easier through their nose? A mask, especially, in hot and humid weather, can make you feel like you're suffocating to some degree. And I cannot imagine wearing one for a whole work day as some people are required to. :(

I made the mistake of stopping at the Salvation Army on my way home from my sister's house this a.m. I was the only person with a mask on out of maybe 8 people there, including a woman coming into the store looking for a job. :/
    Our area has been very lucky with low numbers and nobody at the moment known to be positive but all it takes is that one person to enter our community, not even knowing they're contagious. :(

My niece lives in Maine and she was relating a story about a hair salon with 2 hairdressers, both ended up testing positive after they'd unknowingly exposed 300 or so customers. But at their work, they required all patrons and employees to wear masks. Not one of those 300+ people caught Covid from those 2 hairdressers. If anyone knows this story please confirm because it's come through 2 people and I'm not 100% sure of it's accuracy. But I still find it very interesting, possibly indicating the success of wearing a mask.

I didn't find one in Maine, but another story from Missouri.

Edited to include the link:

https://www.businessinsider.com/two-missouri-hairstylists-with-coronavirus-saw-140-clients-none-infected-2020-6

:expressionless:
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    IL released guidelines for the return to school. All faculty, staff and students must wear masks (unless documented medical reasons). My wife is in education. Many kids can't keep their fingers out of the booger vault for more than 10 minutes.
    Can't imagine them wearing a mask correctly for an entire school day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    So, for background, in my county our floating average of daily cases has more than doubled, hospitalizations have more than doubled, and positivity rate has more than doubled. We are a hot spot in a hot state, getting worse daily.

I did my two weeks shopping and chores for my own household and my mother today. I am so fed up and frustrated with people. We did a pickup at Kroger. As usual they didn’t bother to get half the stuff, so my husband had to go in, where the stuff they were supposedly out of was readily available on shelves. The guy who brought our stuff out wasn’t wearing a mask. Local ordinance says he has to. My husband asked where his mask was, and he said, “Oh, they want us to wear them, but I’m not worried about it. I don’t feel sick and I haven’t been anywhere.”

So my husband had to have a talk with his manager. Who claimed to be appalled. But then he spotted the same manager talking to a stocker with his mask over his chin. Zero masks on customers.

Next, Walgreens. Masks on everyone working there, but chin only. No masks on customers.

Then trying to get an octagenerian to operate zoom. We got my mom hooked up, then realized all the friends she is trying to zoom with are octagenarians too. So had to provide tech support for half a dozen different people. My mom’s thing is forgetting all her passwords and resetting them after being locked out for entering them wrong. So she has a book for all her different passwords. Which has no indication of which password does which thing. She seems to think they are interchangeable. That took a good three hours.

Then the gas station. They have fried chicken there and I suggested some as a treat, since we were half past fed up. My husband came out complaining that he was literally bumped into by 18 different people, none wearing masks except one construction worker. I said that if that was the case he should have just left, and he said he didn’t want to disappoint me. I said I would rather be disappointed than dead. At least the chicken and the people who made it were behind plexiglas.

Our mayor has said we are not dropping back to phase 1, because what would be the point when people aren’t even following phase 2? He said that without community buy-in, there aren’t enough cops in the world to enforce proper behavior. And that the community seemed to think covid came with an off switch, that when they entered phase 2 everyone just stopped trying.

I just would prefer not to die, please, and no one else seems all that interested in helping me stay alive. Grrrrrrrrr.

I can so related to octogenarian tech support!

In her case, her computer is in a room that gets to be in the 90 degrees F in the afternoon this time of year...and the afternoon is when I'm there.

My sister is staying with our Mom for a few weeks and I'm trying to onload some tech support on her :lol: