Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    7cxofdmx4gc7.png

Is this a current photo? Where? Terrible if so.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited April 2020
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    I hate people.

So my doctor suggested that I attend the special early hours at the store this morning because my asthma has been so bad of late (plus other health issues). I took time off of work, got up early, put on my mask, and went. It was horrible. These are all people who should be social distancing the most. The elderly. Those with chronic health conditions. But no. It was like no one knew that social distancing meant! Especially the elderly! They couldn't wait 2 seconds so you could grab an item before they stood right next to you to look at stuff. They would come right at you with carts like a game of chicken. They wouldn't stay to one side of the aisle so you could pass safely. They pushed right past you to get in the store while you were trying to keep distance from those ahead of you.

I am not doing that again. Sunday mornings at opening were WAY better then that.

Everybody was doing that last time I went to the store a week ago, elderly or not. I do recall seeing something on the news about how the elderly population in my state (maybe other states too) are taking this situation the least seriously compared to other age groups, and are going out and about as much or more than always, and often with zero protection. Of course, everywhere they go is a store, church, or visiting friends and relatives - all things considered "essential" here. So you can't stop them, it's like seeing the train wreck about to happen...

I'm going to touch on something here.

It's not all that easy getting old in general. There's more isolation, more cynicism, more wariness, more financial fear, more anxiety for me by far than when I was younger. I'm 66.

I have said more than once over the past month, "I'm ready any time." Meaning, I'm not fighting death. I think at some point in my late fifties I really came to terms with death and the fact that it could happen at any time - and is far more likely now just because of the numbers. For a lot of us life is difficult at this stage. Lack of close relationships due to trust issues, geography and deaths of family. Lots of people have chronic illnesses they are fighting, and there's a lot of mental illness in general that I see in my acquaintance circle. There is a general sense of being tired of the fight, truly.

I'm not saying I purposely look for trouble. I'm wearing a mask, I'm quaratining food, I'm staying away from all people at all times. It does seem futile at times.

The other thing is that we've been going to the grocery store for five plus decades. The grocery store has habits and routines and it has always been a beehive, but a safe one. It's hard for Me to remain 6-feet-vigilent at the store. Old routines and habits kick in, "Get the stuff and get out quickly," is one that comes to mind. I was saying the other day, "If someone was within six feet of me in my parking lot, I'd be wary. It's difficult to make that mental switch at the grocery store, which is a safe place in my mind."

That’s really interesting to read because I came to the same conclusion when I went grocery shopping almost 2 weeks ago (in the U.K.), which is the only time I’ve been since lockdown began.

People were queuing outside quite well at the assigned markings but once inside the sparsely populated store it was quite noticeable that the people struggling most to maintain the 6 feet social distancing were the middle aged to elderly women. I said to my husband when I got home that it looked to me as if, once they got into the shop, a sort of autopilot kicked in because it was an activity they had done so often throughout their lives they were finding it hard to remain aware and were just ‘getting the job done.’

Also, I always go to the same store and I know where everything I need is. Putting me in a new store where I have to wander around and search for stuff makes me crazy.

I couldn’t agree with you more! There was a time I’m not very proud of just after I’d moved house to a completely different part of the country and went grocery shopping and I had what can only be described as a tearful meltdown because the layout of the store was not what I was used to! 😂

New stores always stress me out enormously!

It's funny how different people are. I've been purposely seeking out different stores in other areas of town. At this point, I LOVE that it takes longer. Plus I can ask directions, see what other people have found and ask if there was more on the shelf.....I'm stretching out every possible activity and doing everything I can to maximize interaction with actual living humans and conversations with them these days and new stores have been a good way to do that.

Stop stretching out and maximizing interaction!!!
    You are endangering others as well as yourself. Is it worth it is you kill that cashier? Or their mom? How about if it kills you?
    Instead call people on phone, write old fashioned letters, video conference friends or family , ect.

I think we all have to get through this the best way we can. You do you, I'll do me.

You are incredibly irresponsible.

Except the Boogey Man hasn't come. I see hospital census reports every afternoon. New hospitalizations, med-surg vs. C-ICU, number of surge teams deployed and their specialties, scattergrams of new case locations--while this is certainly a serious situation, we just haven't seen a lot of craziness. Sure, early action probably flattened the curve and I've complied with every new recommendation and generally exceeded public requirements. However, 24/7 isolation in a 600 sq foot apartment has me one anti-emetic away from an overdose. I spend hours contemplating whether a 9mm or .410 would be more effective and whether backfire on the revolver would cause me to miss and just hurt myself....the list and considerations are endless.It's pretty much the only thing I think about when I'm alone, even on FaceTime, even with Netflix, even with novels, even with journaling, even with walks, even with a workout mat, even with virtual events, even with professional development courses, even with (god help us all) cooking, even with searching out what remaining services exist (try finding two witnesses AND a notary in one place these days), even with work, even with projects, even with chores....it's just impossible to fill the time. I sleep as much as I can, but it hardly helps.

Outside is safer. Even for a little while every couple of days.

Though I don't know you personally, I wanted to let you know that I love you...YOU ARE LOVED (even if it doesn't seem or feel like it) you are sooooo NOT alone. A LOT/most people all around the world (millions upon millions--even billions) are going thru MASS super psychotic-psychopathic/sociopathic/narcissistic/evil trauma based mind-control on an alarming and unheard of massive scale, cognitive dissonance, fear, denial and YUCK and unbelievable mental, physical, spritiual, financial and worse abuse more and more each day. I'm soooo sorry beloved and beautiful COgypsy and again, I love you, empathize AND sympathize with you and feel your pain and please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do to help! I will definitely from this day forward be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
    {{{{ <3o:)<3 Love and MEGA HUGS to you and yours o:)<3o:) }}}}}

tumblr_ni3h9a1Svj1qc4uvwo1_500.jpg

This would have been a really nice post, if not for the paranoid conspiracy stuff. Yes, people are going through a collective trauma. It has nothing to do with mind control.

It's utterly amazing/shocking/startling/mystifying how/why people can and do so proudly and easily "dismiss" urgent and important info as "paranoid" conspiracy theory" and yet eat up, go along with and actually cheer on, hook, line and sinker such massive and life destroying abusive media "programming" info so readily. Yet, it also helps one to understand why/how we're in the life altering mess as a country and world today. I'm truly sorry you don't believe it's MASS mind control and while we're yet kinda sorta a "free country and peoples" you have the complete right (as of today) to think/feel and express your thoughts and feelings about it. Hopefully I too have that liberty/option to dare to think outside of the box and for myself without being accused of "paranoid" conspiracy theory and that sort of, ummmmm--dismissal and mockery/scorning of my opinion--but I understand--I truly do.

Thanks for sharing!

• Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    It's been nice and quiet outside today with everything closed.

People here are probably still going to try and do easter tho.. last weekend almost 40 tickets were given out.. so I can only imagine this weekend