Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    wmweeza wrote: »
    wmweeza wrote: »
    seem.

The burning of a trailer of horses by protesters has changed the minds of many in middle USA and more and more citizens are getting stocked up to meet force with a greater force. That may not work out well so we need to get prepped with a good stock of food due to violence spreading the virus in an uncontrollable manner.

There is no evidence of that https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jun/08/facebook-posts/no-evidence-fire-or-burned-horses-after-truck-driv/

Fake news seems like a real problem.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Ok I get it. I knew about the horse trailer in Tulsa, but never saw where anyone said the horses were burned. In fact, I’m not sure if the news stories I read even said if there were any horses (or other animals) inside. I googled and found the horses burned in the accident in New Jersey. Sorry for the mix up.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Just got a call from my mom in S.C. (mid 70s, she and my dad have some risk factors—obesity, diabetes for 1, lupus for the other) that they are not going to come see my brother and I in AR for the 4th, as is yearly custom. Mostly bc they’re scared to travel, by car. They would stay at my brothers and go no where else, save gas/potty stops on the drive. Brother and SIL work from home, don’t socialize, and are very cautious. I suppose we’re the weak link—husband is a physician and works in clinic and hospital settings, we’re outdoors at kids’ baseball games and soccer practices, and do see a few friends. So maybe they just don’t want us to feel bad that we’re the real reason, not the travel? Idk. 2 minutes, masked, in a bathroom, washing hands and probably hand sanitizing for good measure doesn’t seem like that much of a risk? I mean, they get gas and sometimes have to stop at a grocery store bathroom on a longer dr trip (what in normal places should be a 20’min drive can easily be an hour there w traffic) in their hometown, which is spiking just as bad as my brother’s town and points in between.

I’m sad that we won’t see them—I understand they’re nervous and are in a fairly vulnerable class, but the whole situation just makes me sad. When everyone on here says they’re not “living in fear”, that’s great. But I am starting to realize my parents may be. They haven’t see us or their grandchildren since Christmas, and have been staying home and rarely venturing out save for groceries or necessary doctors appts this whole time and each outing is full of anxiety.

I’m sorry this did not really have a point except that I’m sad. And maybe gym had too much chocolate and wine tonight.

I’m sorry you won’t get to see them. As a diabetic, though, the news for obese diabetics is terrifying - I was reading a study specifically on diabetic risk factors, type 1 vs type 2 and whether or not glucose control has an effect. A type 2 with poor glucose control who gets covid-19 has 70 times the risk of death of a non-diabetic. It’s not so bad for well controlled diabetics - only 11 times the risk. That’s not 11% but 11 times. Basically if you are older, obese, and diabetic you won’t live through this. It’s only sane to live in fear at this point, especially when the Memphis area is saying more than half of current transmissions are coming from an unknown source, because it’s so widespread in the community. As for bathrooms, the virus is found in feces and aerosolized by toilet flushing, and most public toilets have no lid.

Pray we get a vaccine soon, and that a vaccine is even possible, because I don’t see how any of us in a vulnerable class are going to get back to normal without one.

I know, I know. It’s that “rationally I know xyz, but I really don’t *want* it to be true” operating. Totally irrational and I recognize that, which is why I totally understand their decision. And am thankful for somewhere to vent a little without anyone either screaming “of course you moron! They should never leave their house again no less see you!” or a Corina conspiracy type using it as a way to rant about the evils of lockdown and masks.

I’m just sad about the whole situation, and about having to tell my kids something they’ve looked forward to for so long won’t happen. When someone asks about going somewhere or doing something and the 4yo immediately says “we can’t...bc the coronavirus!” it’s just...sad.

I feel you. I used to hear that daily from my kids. Now they don't even bother talking about doing things. It is so very sad.
    We've had so many things we've been looking forward to ruined this year.
    We basically have to quarantine at home most of the time to protect my elderly father because so many people here don't "believe in" COVID-19. :unamused:
    We do go camping every few weeks, but they can't go to the playground and hang with other kids which is the favorite part for most of them. At least they can ride their bikes.

It's going to be interesting to see what future effects this has on the young generation (if any).

Look at the life-long values we still see in many people who lived through the Great Depression, like frugality and a be-happy-for-what-you-have attitude.

In the same way that children of the Depression say "Did you really spend $8 on that loaf of organic bread?", will your kids someday grow up to say "Did you really just touch your face and then give me a hug?"

I'm not saying that today's kids will be horribly scarred from this experience and have negative repercussions for the rest of their lives, but they might grow up with a different perspective on some things.

I wonder. I read a few books on the 1918 flu when this all started, and one thing they all said was that it was something no one really talked about later. And of course there was widespread mask wearing then that soon stopped. One of the theories was that it was so traumatic -- and that flu, of course, killed both children and many younger healthy adults (the latter being one of the things making it so different from the usual flu) -- that people just had to forget about it as well as possible.

But that was different in the timing of it just because so many people got it and died so quickly, at least with the second wave, and of course came at the end of the traumatic events of WW1.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    In the US here btw.

Is anyone else planning on how they may stock up before Fall/Winter? While I know we are not even out of wave 1 in most places, I also know that a Fall/Winter with Covid plus flu plus the other normal illnesses for that time of the year is going to be a mess. I am figuring out how to eat through what I have in the freezer now so I can restock. Also taking notes of what I bought this last time and did not eat or what I struggled to get this last time around.

I'm not much worried about food. There was always food in the stores during the worst of shut downs and panic buying here, even if there wasn't always everything you wanted. And I'm pretty flexible about eating what's available.

I've made a list of non-food items that were in short supply for the first two to three months (hand sanitizer, various types of household disinfectant cleaning products, soap, toilet paper, paper towels, facial tissues, vitamin D) that I feel are important for health and hygiene, and every time I go to the store I buy something from the list, which I wouldn't normally have to do every shopping trip, so I'm gradually building up a little stockpile for when the next wave hits and the store shelves empty again.

Maybe I'll think about adding things like powdered milk, powdered eggs, flour, yeast, dried beans, rice, oats, and other grains to the list, but really, I didn't make that much of a dent in my regular stock of those things during the first wave, because, as I said, it was never as if there was no food at all available to buy. Even when there was no dairy milk available, there was soy and other nondairy milk available. And when there were no fresh eggs in the grocery stores, I was able to find them at a farm stand and at a Greek bakery that started selling them for pickup orders, along with lebneh, olives, and some pantry staples.

For me part of it is the fact that I do have a slightly increased risk and my issues with masks. So I want to be prepared so I am not having to go out as much. It will also help with my anxiety if things start picking up again.

Thank you for the reminder about supplements and facial tissues. I will add those to my list to start picking up over time.

As for food I was thinking about the stuff I eat ALL the time. Like chicken, asian noodles (udons, soba, ramen), rice, coconut aminos, broths/stocks, yeast, frozen broccoli, other frozen veggies (for like soups) etc. That sort of stuff. I won't worry about things I don't eat all that much or items that I didn't have a lot of trouble finding (fresh produce or fish for example). I also learned that I don't really eat canned veggies or canned soup since making them both fresh is just as easy. I'm not worried about bread as long as I have yeast and flour. Easier to make my own anyway due to food allergies and restrictions.

I know I may come across as a bit... crazy. I just want to feel prepared for what I KNOW is going to be a bad fall/winter.

I'm pondering the same thing, so I don't think it's crazy. :D This is what I noticed:
    - The persistent shortages in my area were paper products (still a 1-box limit on kleenex tissue), eggs, flour & yeast much harder to get than any kind of bread (only JUST got yeast last week, been trying for months) and to some extent meat.
    - I totally underestimated the ability to have groceries delivered. Not knowing if I could count on that, I bought some frozen vegetables that we have not touched because we have had no problem getting fresh. I also froze meat that I normally would buy fresh only when I needed it.
    - Once I got the hang of the delivery service (and the egg situation resolved), we got by on one delivery/wk. Still doing that. We are in a hot spot and STILL doing delivery or contact-less curbside pickup. Can't always get exactly what we want, so I'm ordering a little early on stuff in case we have to wait a couple weeks for it. (Initially when we could get eggs at all, many stores had a 2-doz limit. I was provisioning for my family of 5 adults plus 2 sets of parents in their 80's, and everyone wanted eggs. This compelled more delivery attempts early on. Both sets of parents are now ordering their own deliveries, which helps a lot.)
    - We get terrible storms that ALWAYS take out our electricity in the spring, so I'm careful not to load the freezer up too much. Man have we been lucky this spring with more meat in the freezer than usual in the early months of the shelter-in-place. We have now eaten without replenishing much of the meat because we have been able to get enough fresh on a regular enough basis. Still keeping extra bacon & sausage in the freezer.

My area is still ramping up on the first wave. Nonetheless, when I think about what I would do differently for a second wave in the fall, the main things I would factor in are grocery delivery and fewer mouths to feed. Both sets of parents are more self sufficient now. One kid graduated from college and is living on her own. Two others are going back to school (one there now, one going in the fall). Both schools are starting earlier, cancelling fall break and ceasing in person classes for the term at Thanksgiving (finishing term & exams online). I don't expect them back before Thanksgiving, but we have learned to expect the unexpected. I think I'm going to stock less food and more cleaning supplies. I also got a pulse oximeter. Our kids have been ordering their own personal care items online without a problem so I don't see a need to stock up on that, either.

The college scene is going to be hard. They live in such close quarters. It would be nice if colleges had old fashioned infirmaries so infected kids could isolate there, but I do not see that happening. One daughter goes to college in PA in a county that was the first to be locked down. Two of six roommates had mild Covid cases and recovered. The same six are living together plus 2 more next year. I have no idea what they will do if one gets sick. There isn't a way to isolate at all.

Your last paragraph reads like a plan for an unofficial human research project. Our daughter is online right now but to be back to having on campus classes in Aug. There is NO settled science today when it comes to COVID-19. I see no vaccine coming most likely.

https://thailandmedical.news/news/breaking-covid-19-immunity-new-study-that-is-yet-to-be-peer-reviewed-says-humans-may-never-develop-immunity-against-covid-19
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    In the US here btw.

Is anyone else planning on how they may stock up before Fall/Winter? While I know we are not even out of wave 1 in most places, I also know that a Fall/Winter with Covid plus flu plus the other normal illnesses for that time of the year is going to be a mess. I am figuring out how to eat through what I have in the freezer now so I can restock. Also taking notes of what I bought this last time and did not eat or what I struggled to get this last time around.

I'm not much worried about food. There was always food in the stores during the worst of shut downs and panic buying here, even if there wasn't always everything you wanted. And I'm pretty flexible about eating what's available.

I've made a list of non-food items that were in short supply for the first two to three months (hand sanitizer, various types of household disinfectant cleaning products, soap, toilet paper, paper towels, facial tissues, vitamin D) that I feel are important for health and hygiene, and every time I go to the store I buy something from the list, which I wouldn't normally have to do every shopping trip, so I'm gradually building up a little stockpile for when the next wave hits and the store shelves empty again.

Maybe I'll think about adding things like powdered milk, powdered eggs, flour, yeast, dried beans, rice, oats, and other grains to the list, but really, I didn't make that much of a dent in my regular stock of those things during the first wave, because, as I said, it was never as if there was no food at all available to buy. Even when there was no dairy milk available, there was soy and other nondairy milk available. And when there were no fresh eggs in the grocery stores, I was able to find them at a farm stand and at a Greek bakery that started selling them for pickup orders, along with lebneh, olives, and some pantry staples.

For me part of it is the fact that I do have a slightly increased risk and my issues with masks. So I want to be prepared so I am not having to go out as much. It will also help with my anxiety if things start picking up again.

Thank you for the reminder about supplements and facial tissues. I will add those to my list to start picking up over time.

As for food I was thinking about the stuff I eat ALL the time. Like chicken, asian noodles (udons, soba, ramen), rice, coconut aminos, broths/stocks, yeast, frozen broccoli, other frozen veggies (for like soups) etc. That sort of stuff. I won't worry about things I don't eat all that much or items that I didn't have a lot of trouble finding (fresh produce or fish for example). I also learned that I don't really eat canned veggies or canned soup since making them both fresh is just as easy. I'm not worried about bread as long as I have yeast and flour. Easier to make my own anyway due to food allergies and restrictions.

I know I may come across as a bit... crazy. I just want to feel prepared for what I KNOW is going to be a bad fall/winter.

The college scene is going to be hard. They live in such close quarters. It would be nice if colleges had old fashioned infirmaries so infected kids could isolate there, but I do not see that happening. One daughter goes to college in PA in a county that was the first to be locked down. Two of six roommates had mild Covid cases and recovered. The same six are living together plus 2 more next year. I have no idea what they will do if one gets sick. There isn't a way to isolate at all.

Actually, there are many universities that are designating entire dorm buildings for students who need to be in quarantine, either because of a positive test or known exposure.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    In the US here btw.

Actually, there are many universities that are designating entire dorm buildings for students who need to be in quarantine, either because of a positive test or known exposure.

That is heartening. I hope the 2 universities our daughters attend get with that program.
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    In the US here btw.

I'm pondering the same thing, so I don't think it's crazy. :D This is what I noticed:
    - The persistent shortages in my area were paper products (still a 1-box limit on kleenex tissue), eggs, flour & yeast much harder to get than any kind of bread (only JUST got yeast last week, been trying for months) and to some extent meat.
    - I totally underestimated the ability to have groceries delivered. Not knowing if I could count on that, I bought some frozen vegetables that we have not touched because we have had no problem getting fresh. I also froze meat that I normally would buy fresh only when I needed it.
    - Once I got the hang of the delivery service (and the egg situation resolved), we got by on one delivery/wk. Still doing that. We are in a hot spot and STILL doing delivery or contact-less curbside pickup. Can't always get exactly what we want, so I'm ordering a little early on stuff in case we have to wait a couple weeks for it. (Initially when we could get eggs at all, many stores had a 2-doz limit. I was provisioning for my family of 5 adults plus 2 sets of parents in their 80's, and everyone wanted eggs. This compelled more delivery attempts early on. Both sets of parents are now ordering their own deliveries, which helps a lot.)
    - We get terrible storms that ALWAYS take out our electricity in the spring, so I'm careful not to load the freezer up too much. Man have we been lucky this spring with more meat in the freezer than usual in the early months of the shelter-in-place. We have now eaten without replenishing much of the meat because we have been able to get enough fresh on a regular enough basis. Still keeping extra bacon & sausage in the freezer.

My area is still ramping up on the first wave. Nonetheless, when I think about what I would do differently for a second wave in the fall, the main things I would factor in are grocery delivery and fewer mouths to feed. Both sets of parents are more self sufficient now. One kid graduated from college and is living on her own. Two others are going back to school (one there now, one going in the fall). Both schools are starting earlier, cancelling fall break and ceasing in person classes for the term at Thanksgiving (finishing term & exams online). I don't expect them back before Thanksgiving, but we have learned to expect the unexpected. I think I'm going to stock less food and more cleaning supplies. I also got a pulse oximeter. Our kids have been ordering their own personal care items online without a problem so I don't see a need to stock up on that, either.

We live in a college town, currently the administration is saying they are coming back with some live classes, labs and some remote learning. All with proper social distancing of course.

Unfortunately I think the proper social distancing goes out the window about an hour after the first beer is opened.

True. I'l less concerned about the social distance in the classroom for the 1 hr class a couple times/wk than the residence situation where they spend many hours every day. Yet university communication seems focused on classroom only.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    In the US here btw.

I'm thinking now might be a better time to do Christmas shopping. I'm joking, kind of. :/

I'm stocking up on TP for Christmas gifts.

Also joking. Kind of. :D
    Ooooohhhhh... that has some “fun” potential! Stack them like a tree and decorate; unroll part way and write messages on a few squares, reroll carefully; wrap them individually, then a layer of duct tape, some zip ties, etc. for added laughs...

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Hanibani and slimgirljo - I am in SA.

we are going to open our state borders on July 20th.

Nobody I have spoken too ( and I mix with a lot of the public at work and they all have something to say about this topic) is in favour of opening borders to non safe states.
    Bubbles between SA, WA, NT - yes - but thats all.

Steven Marshall, our premier, has today said the opening to states like Victoria may be reviewed and is not neccesarily going to happen as planned.

I hope not.

Nothing personal against Victorians but no point is letting it spread to other states.

Exactly.. I hope they get it under control before it spreads much further. So far the border is open between NSW and Vic but I think a day or two of big numbers in Victoria and that will change I think. I saw last night on the news talk of locking down just those areas around Melbourne ( hot spots) and saw them doing door to door testing .