Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-lilly-exclusive-idUSKBN23H35S
    Eli Lilly and Co could have a drug specifically designed to treat COVID-19 authorized for use as early as September if all goes well with either of two antibody therapies it is testing, its chief scientist told Reuters on Wednesday.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else gone back and read this thread from the beginning? I just did that yesterday, and I'm not kidding that this should be preserved as a historic document. It's real-time thoughts, opinions, and experiences from people all over the world as this crisis evolved. It's a really interesting look at how our views and lives changed as this thing progressed. There are actually historians looking to preserve this type of documentation for future study...not sure if any of them are on MFP, though. :D

That's a good idea.

I was a member of a book discussion forum when 9/11 happened (yes, I'm that old), and the general chat thread had the first events being reported and then discussion of everything after -- at first it entirely took over the thread and then it go spun off into its own topic which went for ages with all the various reactions, related developments, etc. I saw a few years ago that it had been preserved despite the forum and successor forum no longer existing. I wonder if it still exists -- not sure I'd want to read through it, but maybe.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I keep reading the story about Nick Cordero; what a struggle he and his family have been and are going through. :(
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My heart is breaking for my 94 (almost 95) year old grandmother. She was in an apartment style living arrangement - not full assisted living. Something happened on Tuesday - she was in a lot of pain, couldn’t walk or communicate, maybe a fall. They took her to the hospital and they finally figured out she had a UTI (I never would have imagined the changes they can trigger in the elderly until she experienced one while staying with us a few years back - they mimick her stroke symptoms!). But because of the slow decline of her mental health (they have fought to keep at this same facility for about a year now) she can’t go back, so today she is going to a new place to live. My cousin can’t go with her or even ride in the van because of COVID, and because of the hospital visit, they (cousin or gma) can’t go back to her apt to get her stuff because COVID. So you have a confused, often depressed 94 year old woman who was abruptly uprooted from the little she knows in life and plopped in a new place with new people and next to nothing familiar in her surroundings - and no option for visitors. My husband is ready to drive 12 hours and pick her up to come stay with us for a little while (she lived with us for a few months before an unexpected move 3 years ago).

I hate COVID.

That is sad and at the age of 69 something I think about more and more about my future since I am the oldest family member in my family. Hopefully one of the two kids will have a place for a trailer in the side or back yard. Assisting living options are just plan risky. Vaccinations may never happen for COVID like it has not for the HIV virus but if one does work successfully there will be COVID-22 or CIVID-30, etc coming at us.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    wmweeza wrote: »
    The topic here is "Coronavirus prep", so I suppose it's appropriate to report our house is back in prep mode. When this all started we bought provisions, stocked up on basics, and hunkered down feeling well prepared. Recently things seem to have calmed down and items are coming back in stock at the stores, so we decided we are slowly going to start restocking again for the possiblilty of a second wave this fall. Heck it might take that long just to find some of the stuff that's still not back in stock! I can say here in California that our household and our loved ones weathered lockdown well. We planned ahead and made a schedule for each of us to go help my elderly mother in law. We've kept complete social distance, haven't killed eachother in quarantine, and still like eachother as a family so I'm considering that a win. It was bizarre to watch as the world suddenly seemed to stop for about a month, seems things are halfway normal now.
    My husband is very concerned about the fall and the risk of a second wave, I can understand that. If it sounds like we are obsessing, we aren't. I feel fairly happy and relaxed, I just feel like there's a storm due to very slowly roll in...that may or not be really bad...so why not get ready?
    I've been sewing masks since all this started and handing them out to anyone who needs them. Sewing and baking has kept me occupied and sane. The biggest thing for my husband was feeling helpless, so he LOVES handing out my masks, it makes him feel less helpless to do anything. Is it actually helping anyone? We don't know, but it won't hurt. It helps him for now...so I sew and bake everyday.
    Life is somewhat back to normal, but daycare is closed, some stores have reopened, and parks are back open. About 30-35% of people wear masks now and keep their distance, but with each passing day that number gets smaller. I guess many don't believe there is a risk, or it's overblown.
    Throughout all of this I have been so grateful that I lost the majority of the weight I needed to lose. I started out morbidly obese, now I have 35-40 pounds until I get to the finish line! With so many bad health outcomes (especially breathing) from obesity related complications with Covid it eases my mind to know at least I cancelled one risk factor off the list.

That is a good idea. I was just thinking a lot of things food wise is getting lower 90 days later.

Hopefully since the virus is wall to wall in the USA we can get this thing behind us but there is no way of knowing. While China is able to do hard lock downs I think they may have major break outs for the next 5-10 years but time will tell. Their food markets seem to be a source of spread again.

https://reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-beijing/beijing-district-in-wartime-emergency-after-virus-cluster-at-major-food-market-idUSKBN23K03V

From what I am hearing and seeing I do not think another shelter in place order will be successful in the USA. Shutting down police forces that is already under way may or may not help the spread of covid-19. Locally I talk to people in health care that do not plan to shut down as long a nation leaders are promoting marches that spread the virus.

In the USA the virus is the least of our problems that can impact our food supply it is starting to seem.

The burning of a trailer of horses by protesters has changed the minds of many in middle USA and more and more citizens are getting stocked up to meet force with a greater force. That may not work out well so we need to get prepped with a good stock of food due to violence spreading the virus in an uncontrollable manner.

Mask use is in step decline I notice. Store clerks are the main ones wearing them but they often wear them around their necks I noticed yesterday. I am more concerned about getting the virus than ever and the risk of flying bullets. Our mental health crisis has gone Pandemic from what I can see. This includes holders of terminal degrees. The churches are even dangerous with their militant talk and actions. Cities are losing control of the streets so I try to stay out of crowds but the way traffic is getting that is harder and harder to do.

I need to get some things ordered and some fuel stored. These are not the best of times to be 69 and physically handicapped. I am just glad I am not near a city. The college will be open in two months that that is going to double our population.

Are you sure the college is going to fully open? The junior college in our community has already stated for the fall the will have labs on the campus, but all other classes will be remote. The 20k student state school and 2k student private university are still trying to figure out what to do.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    The topic here is "Coronavirus prep", so I suppose it's appropriate to report our house is back in prep mode. When this all started we bought provisions, stocked up on basics, and hunkered down feeling well prepared. Recently things seem to have calmed down and items are coming back in stock at the stores, so we decided we are slowly going to start restocking again for the possiblilty of a second wave this fall. Heck it might take that long just to find some of the stuff that's still not back in stock! I can say here in California that our household and our loved ones weathered lockdown well. We planned ahead and made a schedule for each of us to go help my elderly mother in law. We've kept complete social distance, haven't killed eachother in quarantine, and still like eachother as a family so I'm considering that a win. It was bizarre to watch as the world suddenly seemed to stop for about a month, seems things are halfway normal now.
    My husband is very concerned about the fall and the risk of a second wave, I can understand that. If it sounds like we are obsessing, we aren't. I feel fairly happy and relaxed, I just feel like there's a storm due to very slowly roll in...that may or not be really bad...so why not get ready?
    I've been sewing masks since all this started and handing them out to anyone who needs them. Sewing and baking has kept me occupied and sane. The biggest thing for my husband was feeling helpless, so he LOVES handing out my masks, it makes him feel less helpless to do anything. Is it actually helping anyone? We don't know, but it won't hurt. It helps him for now...so I sew and bake everyday.
    Life is somewhat back to normal, but daycare is closed, some stores have reopened, and parks are back open. About 30-35% of people wear masks now and keep their distance, but with each passing day that number gets smaller. I guess many don't believe there is a risk, or it's overblown.
    Throughout all of this I have been so grateful that I lost the majority of the weight I needed to lose. I started out morbidly obese, now I have 35-40 pounds until I get to the finish line! With so many bad health outcomes (especially breathing) from obesity related complications with Covid it eases my mind to know at least I cancelled one risk factor off the list.

That is a good idea. I was just thinking a lot of things food wise is getting lower 90 days later.

Hopefully since the virus is wall to wall in the USA we can get this thing behind us but there is no way of knowing. While China is able to do hard lock downs I think they may have major break outs for the next 5-10 years but time will tell. Their food markets seem to be a source of spread again.

https://reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-beijing/beijing-district-in-wartime-emergency-after-virus-cluster-at-major-food-market-idUSKBN23K03V

From what I am hearing and seeing I do not think another shelter in place order will be successful in the USA. Shutting down police forces that is already under way may or may not help the spread of covid-19. Locally I talk to people in health care that do not plan to shut down as long a nation leaders are promoting marches that spread the virus.

In the USA the virus is the least of our problems that can impact our food supply it is starting to seem.

The burning of a trailer of horses by protesters has changed the minds of many in middle USA and more and more citizens are getting stocked up to meet force with a greater force. That may not work out well so we need to get prepped with a good stock of food due to violence spreading the virus in an uncontrollable manner.

Mask use is in step decline I notice. Store clerks are the main ones wearing them but they often wear them around their necks I noticed yesterday. I am more concerned about getting the virus than ever and the risk of flying bullets. Our mental health crisis has gone Pandemic from what I can see. This includes holders of terminal degrees. The churches are even dangerous with their militant talk and actions. Cities are losing control of the streets so I try to stay out of crowds but the way traffic is getting that is harder and harder to do.

I need to get some things ordered and some fuel stored. These are not the best of times to be 69 and physically handicapped. I am just glad I am not near a city. The college will be open in two months that that is going to double our population.

Are you sure the college is going to fully open? The junior college in our community has already stated for the fall the will have labs on the campus, but all other classes will be remote. The 20k student state school and 2k student private university are still trying to figure out what to do.

My daughter is online at Murray State University currently and their President Bob Jackson states all lights are on Green for students to be on campus. The reality if these old line colleges stay on line they will be closing down period and local businesses as well. The private housing business is huge and fast food is running help wanted ads like crazy because they depend on the college for staff and customers.

My son works for the area junior college and they are scheduled to be in the classrooms in August.

The shut down from March has thrown the USA into a funk like I have never seen before in my 69 years and I am not sure how this is going to end up. The mind set is to heck with the fear of COVID-19 so Full Speed ahead. It is clear if we continue to keep people from their normal activity they are going to find things more dangerous than COVID-19 to get in trouble over.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Right now, NC universities intend to open. My daughter has a move in date of August 12 or 13. Students will go home Thanksgiving, and do finals online. What all this will look like, I have no idea.

Our cases have started going up again. So I guess we will have to see what impact that has on these plans.

I work at a community college. My department will be completely virtual.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My heart is breaking for my 94 (almost 95) year old grandmother. She was in an apartment style living arrangement - not full assisted living. Something happened on Tuesday - she was in a lot of pain, couldn’t walk or communicate, maybe a fall. They took her to the hospital and they finally figured out she had a UTI (I never would have imagined the changes they can trigger in the elderly until she experienced one while staying with us a few years back - they mimick her stroke symptoms!). But because of the slow decline of her mental health (they have fought to keep at this same facility for about a year now) she can’t go back, so today she is going to a new place to live. My cousin can’t go with her or even ride in the van because of COVID, and because of the hospital visit, they (cousin or gma) can’t go back to her apt to get her stuff because COVID. So you have a confused, often depressed 94 year old woman who was abruptly uprooted from the little she knows in life and plopped in a new place with new people and next to nothing familiar in her surroundings - and no option for visitors. My husband is ready to drive 12 hours and pick her up to come stay with us for a little while (she lived with us for a few months before an unexpected move 3 years ago).

I hate COVID.

That is sad and at the age of 69 something I think about more and more about my future since I am the oldest family member in my family. Hopefully one of the two kids will have a place for a trailer in the side or back yard. Assisting living options are just plan risky. Vaccinations may never happen for COVID like it has not for the HIV virus but if one does work successfully there will be COVID-22 or CIVID-30, etc coming at us.
    We had a nice camper set up for her in N.C. - it gave her (and us) space and privacy, but she spent most waking hours with us in the house. Regular meals, help with meds, oversight when behavior changed (her sodium got dangerously low because the episode of dehydration that led to the move in with us had doctor’s pushing water), and beat of all for her, social interaction.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Zoomie402 wrote: »
    I'm in Nebraska, and not much of the daily grind has changed here. It did for about 6-8 weeks, but now things are opening back up. I work at 3 COVID testing facilities, so I have dealt with a lot of the highs and lows. Personally, other than my kids having online learning, I still go about business as usual.

The frustrating thing right now is that the schools still don't know how they are going to operate come fall. They allowed families to vote on 3 options, all of which are ugly....either A. We continue remote learning (which was a complete joke and left many kids, mine included, feeling set back) B. Schools split students down by 50% by rotating every other week. Again, not a great option since many parents will be back to work and daycare costs are outrages. C. Split the school day in half, with 50% of the kids going in the morning and the other 50% in the afternoon.

As for prep, our shelves are well stocked in the stores, with the exception of Lysol wipes. Most businesses are back up and running, and more and more people are starting to come out. As of yesterday's press conference, the hospitals in my area still have 80% vents available, and 75% of beds available.

I was incredibly sick in February, and testing negative for the FLU. One of the gals I was training just had an antibody test done because he mom was sick in January....they both had antibodies. If had the extra cash, I'd get tested because I am pretty much convinced I had it.

Huh? You have to pay to be tested for Covid? We don't.