Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    This is a Corona song. I just had to share it with all'y'all, it's Rolling Stones inspired. The pesky tourists are swarming my home and I can't wait for them to git along lil dogies.

I'm in a lockdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um2HLwseRaI

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Err. Sorry i did not say small pox was spread from excrement. I said the initial contamination from covid came from animals in wet food markents from there once it, the virus knows how to move from person to person it goes from person to person. Had hygene been higher in the markets which it was not because of povity and so on.

It still seems as if you are saying that the issue is that people aren't careful enough about avoiding uncontaminated food (like contaminated lettuce), and adding on that somehow people weren't adequately washing hands and such.

While, sure, things like masks, hand washing, etc., can help reduce the spread of existing diseases, and poor people in poor countries (or countries with lots of poor people) may have conditions that make human to human spread more likely (due to people being in close quarters and such), that's not really the issue with wet markets and especially wet markets that illegally include wildlife (including wildlife that is banned from being there).

Note: I think in this current case there is not clear-cut knowledge as to what happened or that it was related to a pangolin and/or bat as originally stated.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/04/coronavirus-linked-to-chinese-wet-markets/#close

The issue with the wet markets/wildlife markets is the mixing of live animals that can spread viruses to each other and lead to mutations that allow them to be spread to humans. Again, my understanding about why parts of China have been the source of some of these viruses is that the way farming works -- close contact between ducks (a reservoir for bird flu which humans cannot normally catch) and pigs (who can pass on flu to humans and catch it from ducks, leading to mutations making the bird flu potentially infectious to humans) -- https://old.post-gazette.com/healthscience/20010429chinafluhealth3.asp. Something similar seems likely to happen with the wet markets and might well have been the issue here.

It's the close contact between humans and animals and some types of animals with others (and potentially "exotic" animals with others passing on new viruses that humans had not been exposed to before.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2020
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    If you do not wash your salad properly as was suggested in the post i was replying to, where that person lives they have high levles of, word escapes me, virus contamination for want of a better term, obviously you can't be sure what is being transferred from hand to mouth. LIke i said we have and practice good hygene standards and things. our bagged salads are washed in clinically checked clean water. loose salads we do at home and its down to you if you don't follow expected standards.

FYI: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/lettuce-e-coli-contamination-1.4913956#:~:text=Washing the produce at home,not removing 100 per cent.

(And no, I didn't say you got viruses from lettuce. I was responding to your claim that the virus was created due to lack of sanitation. That seems a misunderstanding of how zoonotic diseases occur.)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    "Our local supermarkets are appealing to shoppers to examine items with their eyes instead of their hands before making a selection. This protects you from having to buy the items I already touched and left on the shelf."

Our's ask the same. Unfortunately, the key nutritional info for diabetics is on the back and if I need to compare items, to pick the one with the lowest carbs per 100g, I need to turn the packets round. If all supermarkets stocked the same cereal so that i could buy the same stuff each time, I'd be fine - but they don't.

Also a diabetic. I generally compare info online, then double check my selection at the store. No need to fondle a bunch of different varieties to find which one is best. (Not that I would ever eat cereal, but that’s another subject.)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    Fascinating, scary, hopeful, scary, @T1DCarnivoreRunner
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Until I get to the supermarket and see what they have, I can't check info - and I'm only going shopping in the bigger supermarkets once a month. The problem is that the supermarket doesn't always stock what I plan to buy. In some cases, what I'd bought previously is now discontinued.
    Athijade wrote: »

Also a diabetic. I generally compare info online, then double check my selection at the store. No need to fondle a bunch of different varieties to find which one is best. (Not that I would ever eat cereal, but that’s another subject.)

I have on more then one occasion done that... then gotten to the store and checked the actual product only to find that something has changed. If I had bought and ate the product based off of the online information and not the REAL information I would have been seriously ill.

Yep, that’s why I said to double check the box information at the store. Not that there’s any guarantee, in case of a discrepancy between the info on the box and the info on the company website, that the box is the correct one.

Even so, if I’m buying something as out there for diabetics as cereal, I know going in from research which varieties of cereal might be low enough in carbs to be candidates. Cereal by definition is cereal grains (straight carbs) processed to be even quicker to digest. An exception to that rule seems like it would be something you would know about before you got there.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

Very interesting. That might explain why (here in Italy) survivors of COVID19 are asked to donate their blood. Andrea Boccelli just donated, and it was all over the News. The plasma is used on those who are fighting the disease. They've had good luck with this approach.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    The "general" subforum has lost its pages...we can't look at anything that's not on the first page.

I'm bumping this so it will go to the top.