Coronavirus prep

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    In the US here btw.

Is anyone else planning on how they may stock up before Fall/Winter? While I know we are not even out of wave 1 in most places, I also know that a Fall/Winter with Covid plus flu plus the other normal illnesses for that time of the year is going to be a mess. I am figuring out how to eat through what I have in the freezer now so I can restock. Also taking notes of what I bought this last time and did not eat or what I struggled to get this last time around.

I'm not much worried about food. There was always food in the stores during the worst of shut downs and panic buying here, even if there wasn't always everything you wanted. And I'm pretty flexible about eating what's available.

I've made a list of non-food items that were in short supply for the first two to three months (hand sanitizer, various types of household disinfectant cleaning products, soap, toilet paper, paper towels, facial tissues, vitamin D) that I feel are important for health and hygiene, and every time I go to the store I buy something from the list, which I wouldn't normally have to do every shopping trip, so I'm gradually building up a little stockpile for when the next wave hits and the store shelves empty again.

Maybe I'll think about adding things like powdered milk, powdered eggs, flour, yeast, dried beans, rice, oats, and other grains to the list, but really, I didn't make that much of a dent in my regular stock of those things during the first wave, because, as I said, it was never as if there was no food at all available to buy. Even when there was no dairy milk available, there was soy and other nondairy milk available. And when there were no fresh eggs in the grocery stores, I was able to find them at a farm stand and at a Greek bakery that started selling them for pickup orders, along with lebneh, olives, and some pantry staples.

Thanks, that was helpful. I'm about to write a bit of a list too. Mostly also things like one more packet of this or that to keep things sterile if things get low in shops if we have another wave. Not so much to do with food.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »
    I live in Finland, and got tested for the virus in April. They asked me if I wanted to participate in a national research project about the virus, and gave me the consent forms as well as a questionnaire to fill out about all kinds of things (demographics like education, family status etc and risk factors like weight, smoking and drinking, pre-existing conditions etc.). I know they tested the blood samples for antibodies, that was the main point, but they probably did tons of other tests from those samples as well to research different aspects of the virus, how infectious it is, how the antibodies work, if there’s patterns for who gets symptoms and so on. I have no idea what exactly they tested in addition to antibodies, and I don’t care. The point is, they still asked for consent and I gave it.

In addition to the resource issue, in my experience taking the test from everyone regularly enough to be useful would not be possible for the simple reason that the test hurts. If it was just the moment of taking the test, fine. At least for me, the place up my nostril where they took the sample from hurt like hell continuously for two days. After the two days, it continued to feel sore if I blew my nose or something for a couple more days. Based on my experience, I’m not sure if taking the test weekly would allow for sufficient healing overtime, even if taken from alternate nostrils and given two weeks per side to heal.

Even with the pain, I would happily go get tested again if a healthcare professional thought I should. Just not weekly, I’d rather self-quarantine.

There's a version of the test that's just a cheek swab, not the through-the-nose-brain-swab.

And much like getting blood drawn, the nostril swab experience depends a lot on the person doing the swabbing and the person being tested. Some people say they hardly feel a thing and others describe it more like you do.

Hopefully the cheek swab version catches on :wink:

Ohh yes, cheek swab I could do weekly or even daily if public health officials asked.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,241 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    In the US here btw.

Is anyone else planning on how they may stock up before Fall/Winter? While I know we are not even out of wave 1 in most places, I also know that a Fall/Winter with Covid plus flu plus the other normal illnesses for that time of the year is going to be a mess. I am figuring out how to eat through what I have in the freezer now so I can restock. Also taking notes of what I bought this last time and did not eat or what I struggled to get this last time around.

Our garage drink/beer refrigerator broke. Have been looking around for a Craigslist used one, have changed our minds and going to bite the bullet and get a new one for reliable extra storage of refrigerated/frozen items if needed.

I wish I could get a second freezer but I live in a small apartment. So I don't have the space for one. Plus the fridge/freezer I have are not that big. I really need to clean out what I have and plan around it so I have room for the stuff I use the most.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    In the US here btw.

I'm not much worried about food. There was always food in the stores during the worst of shut downs and panic buying here, even if there wasn't always everything you wanted. And I'm pretty flexible about eating what's available.

I've made a list of non-food items that were in short supply for the first two to three months (hand sanitizer, various types of household disinfectant cleaning products, soap, toilet paper, paper towels, facial tissues, vitamin D) that I feel are important for health and hygiene, and every time I go to the store I buy something from the list, which I wouldn't normally have to do every shopping trip, so I'm gradually building up a little stockpile for when the next wave hits and the store shelves empty again.

Maybe I'll think about adding things like powdered milk, powdered eggs, flour, yeast, dried beans, rice, oats, and other grains to the list, but really, I didn't make that much of a dent in my regular stock of those things during the first wave, because, as I said, it was never as if there was no food at all available to buy. Even when there was no dairy milk available, there was soy and other nondairy milk available. And when there were no fresh eggs in the grocery stores, I was able to find them at a farm stand and at a Greek bakery that started selling them for pickup orders, along with lebneh, olives, and some pantry staples.

When I first started stocking up in March, it was under the model of "being stuck at home for two weeks with no access to the outside world" - something that didn't happen; I've used various delivery services, was not quarantined, and did also go food shopping.

I did buy TP early and extra, and that proved to be wise. Later on, I bought extra soap, shampoo, and iron supplements (I'm anemic.)

Regarding perishables, whenever I heard other states reporting shortages of X, or of a predicted shortage of X, I bought a little extra.

My experience was pretty much the same as Lynn's - if I was willing to be flexible, there wasn't really an issue. Some store were out of eggs, but others were not. My favorite brand of flour was not available, but others were. Yeast was in short supply, but I had enough to get by, and several back up options. I bought chicken when I knew of upcoming shortages, and when the shelves were bare I had some in my freezer. (I normally stock up on meat when it is on sale anyway, so while my timing was different, my quantity was not.)

When I see canned tuna on sale I'll stock up. Normally it's on sale at Shaw's once or twice per month, but I haven't seen a sale in quite some time. So my stocking up would be due to price sensitivity, rather than anticipated shortages. I've also noticed that Whole Foods has not had sales for red meat in quite some time. Also, WF has not carried their flour or spaghetti in perhaps months.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    wmweeza wrote: »
    seem.

The burning of a trailer of horses by protesters has changed the minds of many in middle USA and more and more citizens are getting stocked up to meet force with a greater force. That may not work out well so we need to get prepped with a good stock of food due to violence spreading the virus in an uncontrollable manner.

There is no evidence of that https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jun/08/facebook-posts/no-evidence-fire-or-burned-horses-after-truck-driv/