Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

To Keto or Not To Keto?

Replies

• xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    I do dirty keto usually, but I also take my pruvit ketones(my magical unicorn juice🤣) and ot makes sticking to it and losing weight a breeze.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    watts6151 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    watts6151 wrote: »
    something broderick posted up today on FB
    obviously a rodent study, would be interesting to see if it affects humans
    in the same way long term

ozypvkura4j8.png

It's been awhile but I believe the evidence suggest a temporary impairment to glucose regulation in humans. I believe its a day or two.

Personally, my refeeds do well but if i consume high carb high fat, it seems fat accumulation comes quickly and its hard to get my weight back down.

Would be interested to see a study on long term keto in humans, I’m assuming a long term study in rodants would equate to decades for humans

I agree. It would be very fascinating.
  • Peachesanddinosaur
    Peachesanddinosaur Posts: 15 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Jin_tan wrote: »
    If you could give up pasta and bread, go have a try

Why?

What you mean why. We all know carbs are horrible and immediately add on pounds and convert into fat. Come on....... its 2020, where have you been???? ;)

Refined carbs, such as bread and pasta, are not good for you. Complex carbs, such as fruits/veg/ legumes etc, are good for you. Not all carbs are the same.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    edited June 2020
    I have been on Keto intermitamt fasting for 3 weeks and have lost 12 lbs. I have no carb cravings anymore.I am 70 and have a bad back so exercise is not an option for me. This seems to be working better than anything I have tried so I am sticking to it.

Well, 3 weeks is not very long - but if it seems a good fit for you so far, sure, keep on with it.

Can you not do any gentle excercise like walking or swimming?
    But you don't have to, you can lose weight without excercise - of course that will mean a lower calorie intake,but is doable.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    J72FIT wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Jin_tan wrote: »
    If you could give up pasta and bread, go have a try

Why?

What you mean why. We all know carbs are horrible and immediately add on pounds and convert into fat. Come on....... its 2020, where have you been???? ;)

Refined carbs, such as bread and pasta, are not good for you. Complex carbs, such as fruits/veg/ legumes etc, are good for you. Not all carbs are the same.

A diet with insufficient fiber and nutrients is bad for you, not specific foods. Possibly a diet that relies too heavily on refined carbs can potentially be bad, but not the food in and of itself...

Coming from someone who follows keto, i would say there are plenty of high quality breads out there. Its more of an issue when you crowd out a diet with things like white bread.
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    There are many ways to lose weight... which is lucky because many of us need to do this and we are often very different.

There is no magic but there will be a way that works best for you and which you can stick to.

I am a low-carber now because that works well for me.

As is argued above, one reason it works might well be that it helps me keep a calorie-deficit without counting or obsessing.

However there is another reason; it turns out that I have a problem with carbs and dealing with that was the first step towards sustainable long-term weight-loss.

I used to be much too attached to carby foods and was always hungry for them but never satisfied.

Nothing was too sweet. I could eat cake or pasta or bread all day I could eat until the sweet stuff in sight was gone and the thought of a pack of biscuits in the cupboard or ice-cream in the freezer would weigh on me until they were eaten too. Moderation/waiting to eat was not tolerable. I would not say that I enjoyed food. It was a constant thought and a constant worry - not a pleasure.

My life has changed.

Giving up refined carbs (and most fruit) was a revelation.
    1. It was amazing that I could do so at all.
    2. It was even more amazing that once through the first week, I no longer craved sweet stuff... or anything else AND I could be satisfied after eating.
    3. All this would have been fine on its own but I also lost weight - at first fast but then slowly. 45lb down. I've been doing this for about 2 years now and want to lost about another 9lb.

I really love food and eat lots; I just miss out the carby items that used to be in everything. It is easy - and interesting.

Right now there are bars of uneaten chocolate and cakes in the cupboard here; I have no desire to eat them (even having a few squares of chocolate with my mint tea tonight hasn't set off a craving.) I am not exercising will-power.

I think that eating like this has let me feel what it is like to be a normal person.
    I get hungry for meals and enjoy them but I don't worry about eating or not-eating food all day.

Whatever works for you - I'd like to wish you all the best losses and happiness in the days ahead.

Thanks for sharing what is working for you. I too find I get less cravings if I keep my carbs low.
  • javamoaka
    javamoaka Posts: 19 Member
    If you have some compelling reason to drop quick weight keto is great because you will lose fat and also deplete water weight very quickly. But long term, I think it comes out a wash with pretty much any other diet. People talk about the weight gain after. Its true in the sense that as quickly as the water depleted it comes back but I think it usually has a lot more to do with people binging carbs as they have restricted for so long ha.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    I've been on strict Keto and I felt great and I had a lot more energy than before Keto. I transitioned to a low carb/low sugar moderate fat I'm quite happy with it. My energy is still up, it's filling, and I'm still meeting my goals. Two things I have noticed about my body between Keto and my current way of eating ... 1) I only have that afternoon crash when I eat carbs 2) I have gas only when I eat carbs. I plan to continue my way of eating because overall it's good for me. Its sustainable for me.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    edited August 2020
    Keto, like any other diet, is just a fad. That doesn't mean none of 'em work in the short term, but, I think folks should be working towards a healthy lifestyle and not just weight loss. Diets don't work in the long run - one always falls off the wagon.

Instead of dieting:

Eat less
    Eat Better
    Move more

I suppose 'Keto' is more extreme but don't think that low-carbing (high fat-low carb) is a fad.

It is popular at the moment (so might seem like one) but isn't really all that new.

I seem to be eating like my grandmother and great-grandmother and they were both slim, fit and long-lived. They didn't have access to much processed food and enjoyed sweet things very occasionally (in season) rather than every day. Their everyday foods are on my menus.