Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    So I see NY and NJ are requiring people coming in from 19 states to self quarantine or face fines.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-york-and-new-jersey-expand-list-of-states-that-trigger-quarantine-orders-for-travelers/ar-BB16ruw6?ocid=ientp

Does anyone know how they possibly track this for automobile travel?

Illinois also now has this requirement...but there is no way to track or enforce it, so they are relying on the "honor system".
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    So I see NY and NJ are requiring people coming in from 19 states to self quarantine or face fines.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-york-and-new-jersey-expand-list-of-states-that-trigger-quarantine-orders-for-travelers/ar-BB16ruw6?ocid=ientp

Illinois also now has this requirement...but there is no way to track or enforce it, so they are relying on the "honor system".

I saw the City of Chicago has such a rule, not the rest of the state though, unless it just came out today (a search doesn't pull it up though). Was thinking of visiting our son in TX and just staying around his house. He and his girlfriend have been taking this pretty seriously.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's what I've been assuming. Car travel between states is just so easy and common.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options

I saw the City of Chicago has such a rule, not the rest of the state though, unless it just came out today (a search doesn't pull it up though). Was thinking of visiting our son in TX and just staying around his house. He and his girlfriend have been taking this pretty seriously.

You are correct, my mistake. Sometimes us Chicagoans forget that there is a "rest of the state" outside of the city. :D
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/06/cdc-after-10-week-decline-in-covid-19-deaths-it-may-soon-no-longer-be-an-epidemic/

I am starting to see why some may think this pandemic is going away based on headlines like the above.

Clearly death numbers lag the infection rate by 2+ weeks so while it may be factual COVID-19 death rates may be in decline but we know in the USA at least the infection rate is higher than ever in this 2020 Pandemic so we can expect death rates to soar instead of decline.

I hope not, Gale.

I want to think that we have also got better at treating it. I hope the death rate per active cases is better. Early on, we had no
    Idea how to treat it. Hopefully we’ve learned a little along the way.

I'm also hoping that at an individual level, those most at risk of serious complications and death have learned to stay home as much as possible and stay away from those who won't wear masks around other people. The decreasing average age of new cases in Florida gives me hope that this might be the case -- that it's the people who still think it won't be a big deal for them who are engaging in behavior that increases their risk of catching the virus. If so, that should lower the percentage of serious cases, hospitalizations, and deaths per active cases.

Unfortunately not all of us can do that. I was seeing something elsewhere saying that those of usbat higher risk should have friends and family shop for us and stay home. Neat idea except I am now having to work on-site again and there isn't anyone that I can send to shop for me. I am trying to keep enough food on hand to last 2 weeks in case, but if I get sick and am stuck for longer than that, what can I do? Send my cat for groceries?! It's like people just assume everyone has a spouse or older kids or something...

Yup. And even if you have a spouse or adult children to shop for you, that just creates a transmission vector to bring the virus to you at home.

This idea that everyone at higher risk can stay home while the rest of the world goes about its business ignores both (1) that a sizeable percentage of the population, including the working population, has chronic conditions that put them at risk, and that (2) a sizeable percentage of the non-working at-risk population needs at least some assistance with basic daily activities, if not frequent health care.

The economy isn't going to roll on smoothly if the at-risk can't work because they would have to do so alongside people who think that they don't need to wear masks or avoid large gatherings. And providing care to those at-risk individuals who need it is going to continue to be problematic if those not-at-risk who are caring for them continue to participate in broader society without adequate social distancing and mask-wearing.

But I'm still hopeful, based on the reports of falling average ages of those infected, that relatively better risk-avoidance by older people compared to younger, despite all the variations in individual challenges to achieving risk reduction, could mean that that increased number of cases will be mitigated somewhat by better average prospects for a moderate case.

Agree 1,000%. I also noticed many new cases here in TN are younger people.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    This is for @AnnPT77 - it's different masks with the mannequin coughing, shows effective fabric/fit, etc.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/laser-study-of-face-masks-shows-which-ones-work-best-as-states-counties-face-mandate-covid-19-coronavirus-aerosols-tennessee

there's a 4 minute video that's pretty instructive.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Did T1D already post that? The video is from his area and I know he's all over the stories...
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    The Tuscaloosa Alabama story -- students having Covid-19 parties, with a known infected person, putting money into a pot and the first one to officially "get it" gets the money -- makes me believe that we are the dumbest country in history. Sorry, there's no other way to look at it.

Went out to another outdoor concert last night, much better band this time. AZ rates are soaring. Only states worse are TX and CA, where my kids live! We went out again last night to eat and ate on a patio again.

I've resigned myself that there is no "back to normal" unless they find a vaccine for this. Or it could mutate so much that it won't be nearly as deadly. But once school is back in session, in the Fall, which I think is a terrible idea BTW, 1.5M dead doesn't seem too outrageous now. Perhaps 2M. The numbers don't lie. 5% have been infected and 130K dead. Multiply X 13. That's the point at which they say we will have herd immunity.

Our response as a country has been a pathetic combination of finger pointing, selfishness and incompetence.

Yep.
    My sister lives in Houston, and I'm here in northeast TN, which is itchin' to catch up to TX. We have in this country a large population of entitled, uncaring, thoughtless, brats of widely varying ages. I have friends (30s & 40s), inlaws (60s), a 19-year-old sister-in-law, aunts and uncles (50s-70s) who are being so belligerent, selfish and ignorant. They are proof that unfortunately we can't just blame the lack of leadership of our government. Though they have certainly contributed greatly.

Totally agree. We need a national mask law with steep penalties. And strict enforcement.

With no or reduced funding for enforcement in the USA who's going to be the enforcement ?

Enforcement doesn't have to take the form of immediate physical restraint , tasering, and/or arrest. It can be in the form of consequences, such as "no-shop" lists like the "no-fly" lists airlines are saying they'll use for customers who won't wear masks. "No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service."

How do you keep and track a "no shop list" for a Wal-Mart Supercenter, large grocery store, etc? Does the greeter ask everyone for an ID when they come to the entrance then check it to a database?

A no-shop list doesn't have to be based on discrimination. It could be based on qualification. You're disqualified at the door if you don't meet the requirements. No database needed for that. No mask - no entry.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Did T1D already post that? The video is from his area and I know he's all over the stories...

I don't think so. If he did, I missed it. Thanks for it - helpful!
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I have heard a bunch of ideas being tossed around for school reopening - all virtual, part time (in class 2-3 days a week), alternating weeks, can’t remember some of the others.

we homeschool so it’s not a huge deal to us what they decide, but my heart breaks for the students that need the school system - for food, support, and even safety. I know there are many out there with horrendous home lives and it crushes me to think about what they are going through...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

No, I had not noticed this one.