Coronavirus prep

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    So when they open these areas up in the places with no cases, would they stop people from traveling to them to shop? I would be worried that an asymptomatic person would go shopping and accidentally create cases in a city trying to open.

They will be closed off. No one is allowed in or out.

How does that work? Do you have that many government officials that they can stop people at every road? In the U.S. people would just go anyway. But then the amount of tom-foolery-you're-not-the-boss-of-me going on here cannot be over-stated.

The army forces are involved. It's a small country so the number of provinces is small (12), and each province has limited points of entry by car. Currently, only people with permits are allowed to drive, and even fewer have permits to drive between provinces. A close off means even stricter rules for entry.

With all known cases currently quarantined in hospitals, and all buildings/streets that had several cases quarantined off by the army to anticipate any potential silent cases, the risk is there, but smaller. Things are under control, for now, but if some undiscovered pockets emerge, they'll hopefully be localized to an area because of driving restrictions. Some people do break the rules, but the fear of temporarily losing their car keeps many people within a few kilometers of their house.

Interesting. That so wouldn't work here. :neutral: For about a thousand different reasons, of course.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    So when they open these areas up in the places with no cases, would they stop people from traveling to them to shop? I would be worried that an asymptomatic person would go shopping and accidentally create cases in a city trying to open.

They will be closed off. No one is allowed in or out.

How does that work? Do you have that many government officials that they can stop people at every road? In the U.S. people would just go anyway. But then the amount of tom-foolery-you're-not-the-boss-of-me going on here cannot be over-stated.

The army forces are involved. It's a small country so the number of provinces is small (12), and each province has limited points of entry by car. Currently, only people with permits are allowed to drive, and even fewer have permits to drive between provinces. A close off means even stricter rules for entry.

With all known cases currently quarantined in hospitals, and all buildings/streets that had several cases quarantined off by the army to anticipate any potential silent cases, the risk is there, but smaller. Things are under control, for now, but if some undiscovered pockets emerge, they'll hopefully be localized to an area because of driving restrictions. Some people do break the rules, but the fear of temporarily losing their car keeps many people within a few kilometers of their house.

Interesting. That so wouldn't work here. :neutral: For about a thousand different reasons, of course.

Wouldnt work here either... likely for the same reasons. Lol
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    THIS is why our Governor just issued an order extending the Safer At Home order until May 26.

nx4r0kb4sw7a.jpg
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I was just reading in the news that one of the facilities that is owned by the company I work for had to evacuate a second floor in order to quarantine residents who have tested positive, they weren't expecting it to spread the way it has with how strict everything is and only had 20 beds, now they need 38..

I really hope it doesnt make it to my building because the one that has it right now... it's basically a high rise style building with many many floors..

Ours is 2 floors =/

I read that the biggest nursing home in New Jersey, where it has spread quickly for residents and staff, had 17 bodies stacked in a morgue designed for only 4 bodies. They couldn't get body bags fast enough for everyone dying.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's much better than it sounds lol. People hear army and think scary. They're being utilized as personnel, nothing more. The worst that can happen is getting your car taken away for a month and be driven home in a police car. The current measures are extreme because the situation is extreme. According to the latest independent polls, a little over 70% of the people are happy with the way this is being handled, financial complaints aside.

FWIW, I think a number of the reasons this wouldn't work here have nothing to do with anti-authoritarianism. Just one example: In lots of parts of the US and Canada, we have way, way too many roads, for me to even imagine how this could work, not to mention lakes and rivers that connect things. People can be quite creative in using these. Technology is better now, but there were many reasons why bootlegging during prohibition was impossible to shut down. This is one of them.

That makes sense. I'm sure there may be places where you could probably sneak in, but none that I know of. Most people wouldn't want to go through the trouble anyway because if you're not caught at guarded entry points you may get caught in the city you're trying to sneak into, although who knows.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2020
    Well yeah, and JOrdan is a monarchy and there are 9.5 million people total and they caught it early.

Far different from the U.S. with 362 million people, 50 different governments but one government, two large countries with which we share a mostly un-protectable border, (not to mention the proximity to Russia across the straight and Cuba across a few miles of ocean.) and we have a million or so infected with no way to contain it other than social distancing that isn't enforceable because reasons.

This is very true. What's being done here wouldn't work in many countries. It wouldn't even work here if we hadn't caught it early. It may even stop working if things explode in two weeks and they may need to change their strategies.