Coronavirus prep

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    The Tuscaloosa Alabama story -- students having Covid-19 parties, with a known infected person, putting money into a pot and the first one to officially "get it" gets the money -- makes me believe that we are the dumbest country in history. Sorry, there's no other way to look at it.

Went out to another outdoor concert last night, much better band this time. AZ rates are soaring. Only states worse are TX and CA, where my kids live! We went out again last night to eat and ate on a patio again.

I've resigned myself that there is no "back to normal" unless they find a vaccine for this. Or it could mutate so much that it won't be nearly as deadly. But once school is back in session, in the Fall, which I think is a terrible idea BTW, 1.5M dead doesn't seem too outrageous now. Perhaps 2M. The numbers don't lie. 5% have been infected and 130K dead. Multiply X 13. That's the point at which they say we will have herd immunity.

Our response as a country has been a pathetic combination of finger pointing, selfishness and incompetence.

Yep.
    My sister lives in Houston, and I'm here in northeast TN, which is itchin' to catch up to TX. We have in this country a large population of entitled, uncaring, thoughtless, brats of widely varying ages. I have friends (30s & 40s), inlaws (60s), a 19-year-old sister-in-law, aunts and uncles (50s-70s) who are being so belligerent, selfish and ignorant. They are proof that unfortunately we can't just blame the lack of leadership of our government. Though they have certainly contributed greatly.

I'm so sorry. I'd pick you up and bring you here. No cases for now till the tourists show up I'm guessing. Everyone wants to come to Queensland worst luck. Hoping we keep boarders closed. Doubt it'll happen. Yeah.. come up and give us Covid.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    The Tuscaloosa Alabama story -- students having Covid-19 parties, with a known infected person, putting money into a pot and the first one to officially "get it" gets the money -- makes me believe that we are the dumbest country in history. Sorry, there's no other way to look at it.

Went out to another outdoor concert last night, much better band this time. AZ rates are soaring. Only states worse are TX and CA, where my kids live! We went out again last night to eat and ate on a patio again.

I've resigned myself that there is no "back to normal" unless they find a vaccine for this. Or it could mutate so much that it won't be nearly as deadly. But once school is back in session, in the Fall, which I think is a terrible idea BTW, 1.5M dead doesn't seem too outrageous now. Perhaps 2M. The numbers don't lie. 5% have been infected and 130K dead. Multiply X 13. That's the point at which they say we will have herd immunity.

Our response as a country has been a pathetic combination of finger pointing, selfishness and incompetence.

Yep.
    My sister lives in Houston, and I'm here in northeast TN, which is itchin' to catch up to TX. We have in this country a large population of entitled, uncaring, thoughtless, brats of widely varying ages. I have friends (30s & 40s), inlaws (60s), a 19-year-old sister-in-law, aunts and uncles (50s-70s) who are being so belligerent, selfish and ignorant. They are proof that unfortunately we can't just blame the lack of leadership of our government. Though they have certainly contributed greatly.

Totally agree. We need a national mask law with steep penalties. And strict enforcement.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

I expected the initial 2 million expected deaths call may turn out to be closer than I first thought. The scientific community is going to have to figure out the MO of COVID-19 better I expect before a vaccine shows up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Shouldn't have used the term, "dumbest country". That's terrible. I'm grumpy today because I'm doing my 2019 taxes that I've put off! And the Accountant that I found seems to have fell off the radar. I lost my Accountant of 10 years when I moved from OH to AZ (she had been slowly lessening her individual practice as she's a CFO of a rapidly growing company). So it looks like I might be scrambling to find an Accounting firm last second or rely on a bigger box Accounting firm like H&R Block or Jackson Hewitt (not thrilled with either of them in the past).

But with all the simplified tax laws, my taxes shouldn't be too complicated now. My wife left the house today just to drive around and go to the grocery and bank to get away from me! :#

If anyone is wondering on taxes, you can still file HSA (medical expenses) up until July 15th as well. My old local city, though, still wanted taxes filed (which are based on Federal Tax returns) by April 15th, so I'm sure I'll get hit with a late fine from them.

Off topic here, kind of, but a little Covid related: My understanding is that delayed refunds will be earning interest after April 15 this year, including on returns not filed until after April 15. (Yes, I'm in that category; I don't get all of my tax docs in time to file early, and this year some corrections arrived dated 4/14/2020 (not postmarked then, dated then :lol: ).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimwang/2020/06/26/irs-to-pay-interest-on-your-late-tax-refund/
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yep.

Totally agree. We need a national mask law with steep penalties. And strict enforcement.

With no or reduced funding for enforcement in the USA who's going to be the enforcement ?

If nothing else, a law would provide cover for business owners who want to enforce a mask requirement. If people come to your business establishment, and break the law, there's no question that you have the right to throw them out, and to (yes) call for law enforcement assistance if they get obstreperous.

The proposition that law enforcement will rapidly be dramatically reduced country-wide, and soon, is disingenuous, IMO.

The mask question is very much of this moment, and of the upcoming months, maybe a small number of years. Rethinking and restructuring public safety services may be urgent in some people's view, and may actually happen fairly quickly in a few places (some of it already has happened, BTW, before the current clamor) . . . but it will play out nationally over years, not weeks/months, IMO.

In the short run, the challenge of managing virus-related local budgetary shortfalls will probably have a higher impact on law enforcement funding than will ideology, but I doubt that that's the thought behind your comment.

Local mask law in Memphis requires business owners to take reasonable steps to inform customers (such as posting signs) but stops short of asking them to risk their lives by confronting recalcitrant people. However, customers who refuse to wear masks are not allowed to be served, and a business faces a fine if caught serving such a customer.

No penalty other than a warning for members of the public not wearing masks, just businesses.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

Yep.

With no or reduced funding for enforcement in the USA who's going to be the enforcement ?

If nothing else, a law would provide cover for business owners who want to enforce a mask requirement. If people come to your business establishment, and break the law, there's no question that you have the right to throw them out, and to (yes) call for law enforcement assistance if they get obstreperous.

The proposition that law enforcement will rapidly be dramatically reduced country-wide, and soon, is disingenuous, IMO.

The mask question is very much of this moment, and of the upcoming months, maybe a small number of years. Rethinking and restructuring public safety services may be urgent in some people's view, and may actually happen fairly quickly in a few places (some of it already has happened, BTW, before the current clamor) . . . but it will play out nationally over years, not weeks/months, IMO.

In the short run, the challenge of managing virus-related local budgetary shortfalls will probably have a higher impact on law enforcement funding than will ideology, but I doubt that that's the thought behind your comment.

Local mask law in Memphis requires business owners to take reasonable steps to inform customers (such as posting signs) but stops short of asking them to risk their lives by confronting recalcitrant people. However, customers who refuse to wear masks are not allowed to be served, and a business faces a fine if caught serving such a customer.

No penalty other than a warning for members of the public not wearing masks, just businesses.

IMO, law doesn't do anything unless it give power to fine the non-maskwearer.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Afterthought on Michigan and restaurants/bars: Cocktails to go (carryout/delivery) are now legal, as are (potentially, if localities permit) designated 'social districts' where alcohol can be taken out of the establishment into the 'social district'. Both of these are new, here. There are additional, more detailed regs about packaging and such **.

Outdoor alcohol has been allowed previously on the restaurants' own patios only. Packaged beer/wine has been allowed. The new cocktail thing is for custom cocktails, in small (I think it's 1-2 serving) sealed packages.

** More at https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/07/to-go-cocktails-now-allowed-after-whitmer-shutters-indoor-bar-service-in-most-of-michigan.html
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Afterthought on Michigan and restaurants/bars: Cocktails to go (carryout/delivery) are now legal, as are (potentially, if localities permit) designated 'social districts' where alcohol can be taken out of the establishment into the 'social district'. Both of these are new, here. There are additional, more detailed regs about packaging and such **.

Outdoor alcohol has been allowed previously on the restaurants' own patios only. Packaged beer/wine has been allowed. The new cocktail thing is for custom cocktails, in small (I think it's 1-2 serving) sealed packages.

** More at https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/07/to-go-cocktails-now-allowed-after-whitmer-shutters-indoor-bar-service-in-most-of-michigan.html

I think that's a good idea. Though I wouldn't frequent a bar or gym right now, that's a creative idea to try to help bar owners not go under. I wish there were more for gyms as well right now. AZ just shut down their gyms again. I heard in the news about the guy in Phoenix that didn't want to shut down. Though he wasn't requiring masks, you still feel for the guy and his employees -- donated to Covid-19 relief efforts, worked with local authorities on gym guidelines and yet, he's having to close again. Only so much small businesses can take.

If only these states had required masks from the start of it. You have to think they wouldn't be in this position of back tracking.