Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    The Tuscaloosa Alabama story -- students having Covid-19 parties, with a known infected person, putting money into a pot and the first one to officially "get it" gets the money -- makes me believe that we are the dumbest country in history. Sorry, there's no other way to look at it.

Went out to another outdoor concert last night, much better band this time. AZ rates are soaring. Only states worse are TX and CA, where my kids live! We went out again last night to eat and ate on a patio again.

I've resigned myself that there is no "back to normal" unless they find a vaccine for this. Or it could mutate so much that it won't be nearly as deadly. But once school is back in session, in the Fall, which I think is a terrible idea BTW, 1.5M dead doesn't seem too outrageous now. Perhaps 2M. The numbers don't lie. 5% have been infected and 130K dead. Multiply X 13. That's the point at which they say we will have herd immunity.

Our response as a country has been a pathetic combination of finger pointing, selfishness and incompetence.

Yep.
    My sister lives in Houston, and I'm here in northeast TN, which is itchin' to catch up to TX. We have in this country a large population of entitled, uncaring, thoughtless, brats of widely varying ages. I have friends (30s & 40s), inlaws (60s), a 19-year-old sister-in-law, aunts and uncles (50s-70s) who are being so belligerent, selfish and ignorant. They are proof that unfortunately we can't just blame the lack of leadership of our government. Though they have certainly contributed greatly.

Totally agree. We need a national mask law with steep penalties. And strict enforcement.

With no or reduced funding for enforcement in the USA who's going to be the enforcement ?

Not sure what you are talking about. Many city police dept. are 1/3 to half of the city budget. Then there is county, state, and federal law enforcement. I've never heard that the government can't figure out how to collect fines and don't see why that changes now.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    The Tuscaloosa Alabama story -- students having Covid-19 parties, with a known infected person, putting money into a pot and the first one to officially "get it" gets the money -- makes me believe that we are the dumbest country in history. Sorry, there's no other way to look at it.

Went out to another outdoor concert last night, much better band this time. AZ rates are soaring. Only states worse are TX and CA, where my kids live! We went out again last night to eat and ate on a patio again.

I've resigned myself that there is no "back to normal" unless they find a vaccine for this. Or it could mutate so much that it won't be nearly as deadly. But once school is back in session, in the Fall, which I think is a terrible idea BTW, 1.5M dead doesn't seem too outrageous now. Perhaps 2M. The numbers don't lie. 5% have been infected and 130K dead. Multiply X 13. That's the point at which they say we will have herd immunity.

Our response as a country has been a pathetic combination of finger pointing, selfishness and incompetence.

Yep.
    My sister lives in Houston, and I'm here in northeast TN, which is itchin' to catch up to TX. We have in this country a large population of entitled, uncaring, thoughtless, brats of widely varying ages. I have friends (30s & 40s), inlaws (60s), a 19-year-old sister-in-law, aunts and uncles (50s-70s) who are being so belligerent, selfish and ignorant. They are proof that unfortunately we can't just blame the lack of leadership of our government. Though they have certainly contributed greatly.

Totally agree. We need a national mask law with steep penalties. And strict enforcement.

What we really need is for the people to stop being such unmitigated a-holes. So many people claiming to be true patriots and followers of Christ, but can't be bothered to protect their fellow Americans. They want to get the economy going but won't do what it takes to keep it from shutting down again. It would be amusing if it weren't an actual crisis.

Yes, but I don't believe for a second that people will change their ways willingly. My suggestion for steep fines is to leave them no choice. Since they won't do the right thing on their own, they will have to be forced.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

This article is about influenza, but influenza is very much like covid in the fact that it is a contagious respiratory disease.

Thoughts?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Pennsylvania has expanded the mask order here, possibly because so many thought that once we went to Green phase (mostly open) it was no longer a requirement. Anyone in public must wear a mask if they can't stay 6 feet apart. The Governor said they didn't intend to use police to enforce the rule; instead they would rely on the "good sense and cooperative spirit" of the public. Right! Good luck with that.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

Yep.

With no or reduced funding for enforcement in the USA who's going to be the enforcement ?

Enforcement doesn't have to take the form of immediate physical restraint , tasering, and/or arrest. It can be in the form of consequences, such as "no-shop" lists like the "no-fly" lists airlines are saying they'll use for customers who won't wear masks. "No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service."
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »

Yep.

I'm so sorry. I'd pick you up and bring you here. No cases for now till the tourists show up I'm guessing. Everyone wants to come to Queensland worst luck. Hoping we keep boarders closed. Doubt it'll happen. Yeah.. come up and give us Covid.

You can open the borders but put restrictions in place. We expect tourists from next week, but they MUST have a test before traveling, and bring a COVID-free certificate to show at Immigration and Customs.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member

Yep.

Enforcement doesn't have to take the form of immediate physical restraint , tasering, and/or arrest. It can be in the form of consequences, such as "no-shop" lists like the "no-fly" lists airlines are saying they'll use for customers who won't wear masks. "No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service."

Exactly!! That's how it is where I live. It is impossible to enter any retail store without a mask. You simply won't be allowed inside. This along with the temperature check and hand sanitizer stations at the door.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

Yep.

I think there others that agree with you. Law enforcement has been neutered and all parties are out to do what they want when they want. It's like "I did it my way" is playing in everyone's head and the Woodstock mindset of 50 years ago still rules. This morning I noticed our local Walmart didn't have anyone monitoring the only entrance when I went in or came out. Their COVID-19 limit on inside shoppers is 1000 and the last trip I asked the door monitor how many were in the store and I was told 146.

What is blowing my mind locally is how few seem to grasp that the risk of dying from COVID-19 is the highest ever.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Yep.

Exactly!! That's how it is where I live. It is impossible to enter any retail store without a mask. You simply won't be allowed inside. This along with the temperature check and hand sanitizer stations at the door.

Here too where they have the resources for that (large chain stores, my local grocery and 7-11 (where cops hang out, I think it's one of the bathrooms they use), and of course buildings downtown). I think local stores have problems enforcing, since they don't have enough employees to dedicate to monitoring that or security. I haven't seen problems inside stores here, but have seen videos from all over the US showing non compliant morons. We also generally have hand sanitizers at the door and are wiping off carts and baskets.

The temperature check thing we are doing at my office and I think it's kind of stupid. First of all, I don't think the forehead thermometers are actually accurate, and second, many are contagious without temperatures and if you have a temperature you likely have symptoms.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »

Yep.

I'm so sorry. I'd pick you up and bring you here. No cases for now till the tourists show up I'm guessing. Everyone wants to come to Queensland worst luck. Hoping we keep boarders closed. Doubt it'll happen. Yeah.. come up and give us Covid.

You can open the borders but put restrictions in place. We expect tourists from next week, but they MUST have a test before traveling, and bring a COVID-free certificate to show at Immigration and Customs.

I take it by the reference to Immigration and Customs that you are talking about international tourists.

Australia, where mockchoc and I live, is a long way from accepting international tourists.

I think mockchoc was talking more state borders , especially since she said ' come up and give us Covid ' ie come up from southern states NSW and Victoria where Covid is still very active.

safe states here have closed their borders to other states - we may start opening to other safe states at some point.

I would like to go on holiday to Whitsunday islands ( northern Queensland) - may be possible in a few months from South Australia, also safe state.

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

Yep.

How do you keep and track a "no shop list" for a Wal-Mart Supercenter, large grocery store, etc? Does the greeter ask everyone for an ID when they come to the entrance then check it to a database?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

This article is about influenza, but influenza is very much like covid in the fact that it is a contagious respiratory disease.

Thoughts?

I'm really interested to hear the opinions on those who want to mandate face masks:

Face Mask

In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946–July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks (RR 0.78, 95% CI 0.51–1.20; I2 = 30%, p = 0.25) (Figure 2). One study evaluated the use of masks among pilgrims from Australia during the Hajj pilgrimage and reported no major difference in the risk for laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infection in the control or mask group (33). Two studies in university settings assessed the effectiveness of face masks for primary protection by monitoring the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza among student hall residents for 5 months (9,10). The overall reduction in ILI or laboratory-confirmed influenza cases in the face mask group was not significant in either studies (9,10). Study designs in the 7 household studies were slightly different: 1 study provided face masks and P2 respirators for household contacts only (34), another study evaluated face mask use as a source control for infected persons only (35), and the remaining studies provided masks for the infected persons as well as their close contacts (11–13,15,17). None of the household studies reported a significant reduction in secondary laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the face mask group (11–13,15,17,34,35). Most studies were underpowered because of limited sample size, and some studies also reported suboptimal adherence in the face mask group.

Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids (36). There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure. Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.