Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Replies

• dougl004
    dougl004 Posts: 98 Member
    fitchick37 wrote: »
    I didn't have a big "aha" moment, it just kind of started happening from New Year. I quit booze by accident, one day just rolled in to another and I stopped wanting a glass of wine at the end of the day and started taking the anti depressants the doctor had prescribed me regularly. I'm nearly 30 pounds down from the beginning of the year and insanely proud about it. I've got 20 to go to hit 200 and then another 50 after that.

Keep up the great work!! You got this!!
  • dougl004
    5 years later and this post is still going strong!! Keep those ah ha moments coming!!!!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    When my husband bought a used doctor office scale (they’re pretty accurate) and I weighed more than him. He’s 6 inches taller than I am.
  • Jessieb00
    Jessieb00 Posts: 5 Member
    When I weighed in at 240 I decided that I didn't want to be inside that body anymore. I was depressed and drinking heavily at the time. I saw a new primary care doctor and she helped me get on track.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    The first time: size 18's were becoming uncomfortable/tight and I did not want to buy 'plus size' clothing.

The first time that really 'stuck' with me, so that I continued and took more steps forward than backward: I had gone back to school, and walking on campus between parking and classes wore me out. It was the first time that I felt my life was harmed/impacted by my weight.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    echofm1 wrote: »
    I went to the doctor's and she hounded me about my weight before she even asked why I was there (which I was a bit upset about). She encouraged me to see a nutritionist, which was free through work. I agreed to see the nutritionist, dropped the doctor, and started MFP to track what I was eating for the nutritionist to see. Turned out it was a lot easier to manage than I'd ever thought, so I kept on doing it. Seeing the scale near 350 pounds was definitely a wake up call too.

Happy to say that I've been here a year and a half, am at 246 currently, and still going strong on my goal towards a healthy BMI.

YES!!!! You are amazing.
  • dougl004
    Nikki31104 wrote: »
    echofm1 wrote: »
    I went to the doctor's and she hounded me about my weight before she even asked why I was there (which I was a bit upset about). She encouraged me to see a nutritionist, which was free through work. I agreed to see the nutritionist, dropped the doctor, and started MFP to track what I was eating for the nutritionist to see. Turned out it was a lot easier to manage than I'd ever thought, so I kept on doing it. Seeing the scale near 350 pounds was definitely a wake up call too.

Happy to say that I've been here a year and a half, am at 246 currently, and still going strong on my goal towards a healthy BMI.

YES!!!! You are amazing.

Glad you dropped that inconsiderate doc and keep dropping those pounds!! Healthy BMI here we come. Keep pushing towards your goal. You've done a fabulous job so far.
  • dougl004
    The first time: size 18's were becoming uncomfortable/tight and I did not want to buy 'plus size' clothing.

The first time that really 'stuck' with me, so that I continued and took more steps forward than backward: I had gone back to school, and walking on campus between parking and classes wore me out. It was the first time that I felt my life was harmed/impacted by my weight.

I feel you. I'm determined not to buy a new wardrobe in a bigger size. We can do this!!
  • dougl004
    1) Health..... My personal health, and family history.
    2) Depression...... Not that my weight was to sole factor of my depression, but it didn't help it.

Currently down 56.4 since February 1!

Wow down almost 60 lbs in 5 months you are super woman!! Keep it up.
  • Lyallatron
    Lyallatron Posts: 32 Member
    Saw my reflection in a shop window and thought ‘that’s not me’. I want to do this for me. I want to feel good.
  • Sully8331
    Sully8331 Posts: 18 Member
    After my 4th heart attack, I had a personal meeting with myself and told me to knock it the hell off or I was going to leave myself!
    #DieSkinny
  • sharsunny
    sharsunny Posts: 5 Member
    When I realized I wasn't pretty anymore and I didn't recognize myself, started becoming a hermit and then I turned 50
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    The real, true, turning point for me was when I realized I was my own lowest priority. Oh, I had lots of reasons for overeating, but it mostly came down to being apathetic about myself. I took worse care of myself than I would my worst enemy.

I'm not doing that, anymore.

Just... weight loss is happening and has happened dramatically and I'm proud of it, but it's a happy side effect of deciding that I needed to care about me.
  • Lia13mfp
    Lia13mfp Posts: 7 Member
    1) I want to survive. History of not-so-long lifespan in the family, partly due to lifestyle/food choices. I'm have been making bad choices as well. I want to survive and be there for my young kids. Losing planned 27.5 lbs and become more active should help.
    2) I don't want to _just_ survive, I want to be fun, to be the mother who is able to play with the kids, have strength when needed and overall just be a good role model for them by being active and eating well. I'm not there now but I am moving in that direction.

Things have changed from when I joined and wrote that. I lost some weight then, but life was overwhelming, and I gained more. Stress from divorce, move and covid has lead to me overeating and "under-exercising".
    I am now finally starting to feel at home in my new life, and happy.

The two reasons above are still totally valid though. Another one added is "I want to look good". I have never cared about what others think about my body, but now I do. I used to be curvy, a bit too heavy, but still look sexy. All of a sudden, I have a big tummy, no waistline at all and my thighs are huge. Sort of went from a cello to a big apple. I am not dating, but I want to love my body enough to feel happy about that others might see me naked.