WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Allie LOL for a minute, I thought you were getting one of thesecllnnyofvgzc.png

instead of one of theseqc5d0jl1l0zm.png

:D:D:D

>>>

OMG RITA!!! Those temperatures! Is your humidity really low? In normal times when people go to restaurants, do they have misters to keep people cool?

>>>

I ZOOMED with my Nebraska friends today. It was great. We talked about July 4th and hailstorms and drought and updates on a mutual friend's health and politics and dog adoptions and grandchildren. Wonderful.

>>>

KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! Up at 3 am. So hot, HoT, HOT! (We have ac, but the heat is coming more from menopause) The past two weeks the temps in West Michigan have been in the low to mid 90s and HUMID! The kids and I have been outside, as normal, but every day walking in the morning while it is in the 80s, playing in the kiddie pools/sprinkler in late morning/afternoon; and they have been napping GREAT! But I have been wiped out by evening. lol Weather is forecasting a couple more weeks of temps in the mid to high 90s. It is storming right now, so hopefully that will cool it down a little bit for a while. One more week of work until I have a week off, though! Whoot!
    Rita- love the pic of Francesca! She looks yummy!
    Machka- Keeping you in my thoughts for your surgery!
    Karen VA- Did I miss the explanation of the California Shag sliding door?! This sounds interesting!
    Allie- You are a force to be reckoned with! I love the fact that you are moving forward and looking into this move. I agree with Okie; travel with your passport and take care of your license at a later date.
    Cheri- Wowsa! That is amazing crochet work! Lucky babies to receive such pretty blankets! And those temps! I think I will keep my humid 90s, thank you!
    Lisa- I have always adored that pic of you and Corey! You are just radiant!
    Sliding door moments- The first "moment" that pops into my mind is the loss of both my parents when I was 26. But in thinking on it; that was more of a "closing door" moment. I literally shut everything down for many years. Then in 2002, at almost 35 our sump pump quit working in our home. We had already had a plumber out twice that week due to children flushing things down the toilet. When the pump broke, I called the plumber to get his advice. Did he need to come out or could I do it myself? He told me I could probably fix it myself, but it is a very smelly job. My response, "I change diapers for a living; tell me what I have to do!" Hubby tried to help me, but the smell made him gag and he had to leave the room; so I did it myself. It was at that moment; that moment of taking something apart, using tools I have never used, following written directions, and watching my husband (who is usually the "handy" one) NOT be able to do this job, I realized that I am stronger than I thought and that EVERYTHING would be fine. This was my first "Rocky" moment. Hands in the air, superhero cape on, flexing muscle, face painted blue a la Braveheart (FREEDOM!) moment. That moment gave me the power to yell back at my hubby when we argued, let my opinion be known, say no, and oh...so many other little powers. Tim didn't know it, but from that moment on, I was in the drivers seat. lol >:) "I'm Not Throwing Away My Shot"

OMIGOSH- I forgot to tell you ladies! I have discovered the musical Hamilton! lol I watched it last weekend on Disney+. When I was watching it, I wasn't thrilled with it. One song stuck in my head, though. You'll Be Back. Just so funny and wonderfully performed, and SARCASTIC. lol So, Sunday evening I had the soundtrack going while I prepped my foods for the week, soundtrack going on and off in the evenings throughout this week. My husband and son are about to kill me.
    But the best part is that I have been singing the (Da da da dat...) part of You'll Be Back (earworm) so often that the kiddos are beginning to hum and sing it! lol

Last night, after the kids got picked up I took a walk to get some milkweed for four newly hatched Monarch eggs that the kids and I found on Wednesday's walk. As I was looking over the milkweed I found six more eggs and two newly hatched caterpillars, so I brought them all home! lol That is 12 soon to be Monarch butterflies to be released! I also found a patch of blackberries and picked a pint of them for the kids to eat today. A really lovely end to the day.

Well, the rain has stopped and the birds are starting their songs! I am going to sign off and get a good walk in (at my pace) if the rain holds up. Love and hugs to those who need them! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Kelly,

I'm loving how you are dealing with the heat and humidity with your little crew.

Rita's little Francesca DOES look yummy! LOL

I want to raise Monarchs. I just really don't know where to start. Maybe plant some milkweed and wait?

I saw Hamilton on Disney + last week too. I was a bit disappointed at first, but then realized it was really because I wasn't getting all the dialogue. I enjoyed it much more after I found a website that had the lyrics so I could read along while they were singing. Now I am intrigued by Eliza Hamilton. She was a force of nature.

Your sliding door Rocky Braveheart moment was awesomely awesome. I would never fix/replace a sump pump myself. God you are tough.

So yes, I think you missed the explanation of my sliding door moment. Here it is again: I casually decided I wanted to learn how to dance to Carolina Beach Music, specifically Carolina Shag. I took lessons and discovered that I had a knack for it, and enjoyed it…so started going to a nightclub called Visions on Sunday evenings for their weekly Beach Party to dance. I was serious about wanting to dance and not interested in the social scene except for the fact that it provided lots of dance partners. Or so I thought. Everything changed when I met Billy, my second husband, and father to Joy, the daughter I lost in the third trimester. For those who remember my Ballerina Husband story, Billy was the Purse-Lipped Pantless Pirouetter. I still chuckle to remember it.

Karen in Virginia

• KetoneKaren
    RORI (((HUGS)))
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Hot here too
    Amber Tx

abr33j2n1qug.png

Busy day
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,018 Member
    ☘️
  • KetoneKaren
    Granddaughter, age 11, at her last swim meet:
    dujttz1y28xd.png
    nwxwhbn0smtj.png

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Rita: Roswell is waaaay too hot for me. Stay cool and hydrated. :flowerforyou:

Renewing: I started at a much higher weight. The MFP system worked very well for me, and still works well. I measure food portions using measured dishers or a food scale. Dishers are used in the restaurant world for keeping portions equal. They look like ice cream scoops and you can get different sizes. That way there is no guessing or fudging on portion sizes. I stay within my allowable calories. One good tip is that if I go over, I can exercise and get myself back where I’m supposed to be by burning off some of those extra calories. I choose active things that are fun for me. My choices for exercise are riding my recumbent trike on a trainer, yoga, walking, & horseback riding. Exercises that you enjoy are golden. You’ll want to do them. Stop by here often for encouragement. :heart:

Michele: You could always gift wrap Jess’s things in birthday or Christmas paper and ship them to her, a box or two at a time. :devil:

(((Rori))): It is so good to see you!!!!! :heart:

Karen: Your granddaughter looks fit and ready to race. Thanks for sharing the photo. :bigsmile:

We have a lovely day today DH is on the deck and enjoying watching the river. I’m going to join him.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Rori - so very good to hear from you.

Guess who is going thru the boxes for Jess? And reading things as he goes along. At this rate, we'll be here for hours.

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,491 Member
    stats for the day:

bike ride home 2 dome- 11.15min, 135mhr, 13.7amph, 2.57mi= 91c
    apple watch- 89c
    bike ride puy 2 wrk- 13min, 14.9amph, 152mhr, 3.22mi= 163c
    apple watch- 153c
    bike ride wrk 2 sumn sta- 3.13min, 131mhr, 9.4amph, .50mi= 41c
    Apple Watch- 20c
    Bike ride dome 2 hm- 18.23min, 8.3amph, 149mhr, 2.54mi= 191c
    apple watch- 146c

total cal 486
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited July 2020
    The next 5 days!

14ti6wdnkic1.jpg

🙂❤️😊
    Cheri
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,718 Member
    Michele - You have way more patience than I. When I was ready to get rid of things of after our girls left I made one box for each of them. I was merciless in getting rid of stuff. I took the boxes I packed up and delivered it to them what they did with the stuff after I don’t know.

Tracey
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Well, it's almost 11 and we just finished going thru most of the boxes. Guess which one we didn't go thru? The one that Vince was so smart and took everything out of. Well, I'll just put things in a box for Jess to go thru when she gets back. I know that she wants all pictures (personally, I don't know why she'd want multiples of the same picture) and doesn't want cards. So that I'll get rid of. Anything else...it's up to her.

Michele NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Allie LOL for a minute, I thought you were getting one of thesecllnnyofvgzc.png

instead of one of theseqc5d0jl1l0zm.png

:D:D:D

>>>

OMG RITA!!! Those temperatures! Is your humidity really low? In normal times when people go to restaurants, do they have misters to keep people cool?

>>>

I ZOOMED with my Nebraska friends today. It was great. We talked about July 4th and hailstorms and drought and updates on a mutual friend's health and politics and dog adoptions and grandchildren. Wonderful.

>>>

KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! Up at 3 am. So hot, HoT, HOT! (We have ac, but the heat is coming more from menopause) The past two weeks the temps in West Michigan have been in the low to mid 90s and HUMID! The kids and I have been outside, as normal, but every day walking in the morning while it is in the 80s, playing in the kiddie pools/sprinkler in late morning/afternoon; and they have been napping GREAT! But I have been wiped out by evening. lol Weather is forecasting a couple more weeks of temps in the mid to high 90s. It is storming right now, so hopefully that will cool it down a little bit for a while. One more week of work until I have a week off, though! Whoot!
    Rita- love the pic of Francesca! She looks yummy!
    Machka- Keeping you in my thoughts for your surgery!
    Karen VA- Did I miss the explanation of the California Shag sliding door?! This sounds interesting!
    Allie- You are a force to be reckoned with! I love the fact that you are moving forward and looking into this move. I agree with Okie; travel with your passport and take care of your license at a later date.
    Cheri- Wowsa! That is amazing crochet work! Lucky babies to receive such pretty blankets! And those temps! I think I will keep my humid 90s, thank you!
    Lisa- I have always adored that pic of you and Corey! You are just radiant!
    Sliding door moments- The first "moment" that pops into my mind is the loss of both my parents when I was 26. But in thinking on it; that was more of a "closing door" moment. I literally shut everything down for many years. Then in 2002, at almost 35 our sump pump quit working in our home. We had already had a plumber out twice that week due to children flushing things down the toilet. When the pump broke, I called the plumber to get his advice. Did he need to come out or could I do it myself? He told me I could probably fix it myself, but it is a very smelly job. My response, "I change diapers for a living; tell me what I have to do!" Hubby tried to help me, but the smell made him gag and he had to leave the room; so I did it myself. It was at that moment; that moment of taking something apart, using tools I have never used, following written directions, and watching my husband (who is usually the "handy" one) NOT be able to do this job, I realized that I am stronger than I thought and that EVERYTHING would be fine. This was my first "Rocky" moment. Hands in the air, superhero cape on, flexing muscle, face painted blue a la Braveheart (FREEDOM!) moment. That moment gave me the power to yell back at my hubby when we argued, let my opinion be known, say no, and oh...so many other little powers. Tim didn't know it, but from that moment on, I was in the drivers seat. lol >:) "I'm Not Throwing Away My Shot"

OMIGOSH- I forgot to tell you ladies! I have discovered the musical Hamilton! lol I watched it last weekend on Disney+. When I was watching it, I wasn't thrilled with it. One song stuck in my head, though. You'll Be Back. Just so funny and wonderfully performed, and SARCASTIC. lol So, Sunday evening I had the soundtrack going while I prepped my foods for the week, soundtrack going on and off in the evenings throughout this week. My husband and son are about to kill me.
    But the best part is that I have been singing the (Da da da dat...) part of You'll Be Back (earworm) so often that the kiddos are beginning to hum and sing it! lol

Last night, after the kids got picked up I took a walk to get some milkweed for four newly hatched Monarch eggs that the kids and I found on Wednesday's walk. As I was looking over the milkweed I found six more eggs and two newly hatched caterpillars, so I brought them all home! lol That is 12 soon to be Monarch butterflies to be released! I also found a patch of blackberries and picked a pint of them for the kids to eat today. A really lovely end to the day.

Well, the rain has stopped and the birds are starting their songs! I am going to sign off and get a good walk in (at my pace) if the rain holds up. Love and hugs to those who need them! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Kelly,

I'm loving how you are dealing with the heat and humidity with your little crew.

Rita's little Francesca DOES look yummy! LOL

I want to raise Monarchs. I just really don't know where to start. Maybe plant some milkweed and wait?

I saw Hamilton on Disney + last week too. I was a bit disappointed at first, but then realized it was really because I wasn't getting all the dialogue. I enjoyed it much more after I found a website that had the lyrics so I could read along while they were singing. Now I am intrigued by Eliza Hamilton. She was a force of nature.

Your sliding door Rocky Braveheart moment was awesomely awesome. I would never fix/replace a sump pump myself. God you are tough.

So yes, I think you missed the explanation of my sliding door moment. Here it is again: I casually decided I wanted to learn how to dance to Carolina Beach Music, specifically Carolina Shag. I took lessons and discovered that I had a knack for it, and enjoyed it…so started going to a nightclub called Visions on Sunday evenings for their weekly Beach Party to dance. I was serious about wanting to dance and not interested in the social scene except for the fact that it provided lots of dance partners. Or so I thought. Everything changed when I met Billy, my second husband, and father to Joy, the daughter I lost in the third trimester. For those who remember my Ballerina Husband story, Billy was the Purse-Lipped Pantless Pirouetter. I still chuckle to remember it.

Karen in Virginia

If you want to raise Monarchs please do it outside with old bird cages or something like that. The need natural light to develop correctly. They will have trouble getting back to Mexico unless you do. I let milkweed come up in my flower beds. I can see some leaves with tell tale holes. If you plant from seed late fall a good time. Once they start they seem to have a mind of their own where they will come up. Last year I saw at least one butterfly a day. I am not home as much this summer so I am not as aware. DH did see one though.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member

Hi Gals,
    The heat you all are mentioning is making me appreciate my high 80, low 90 degree F (26-35 C) I do not have air conditioning and find anything over 85 to be darn hot!

Rori – sending good thoughts

Machka – Thinking of you, I think today is surgery day

Pip – Ops! Happy Birthday Kirby!

Tracey – My mom took a similar attitude, we each had a window to come look at our stuff, right about the time we would finish college - she had a large tub for each of us, she would store as much as we could fit in the tub for 10 years then she was tossing it out. I did my tub and a couple of years later took my tub home and there are a few things I have kept but many are gone.

But my mom loves us but is in some ways very cut and dried. You have your own place and she is not a storage unit. I also always assumed what she meant was the truth. My sister did her tub but never picked it up and for years she got the stuff at Christmas and birthday mailed to her. Her tub has been empty for years.

Karen – your granddaughter is so posed.

Hamilton - Like many others I got to see it on Disney+ I was so impressed. I saw it at my Godson’s as I do not have a cable package that includes Disney+ I would love to watch it again.

Renewing and other newbies – welcome

Kim from N. California
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,807 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbara,
    I live in paradise, too. Living beside the river is a great place to watch birds, critters & people. DH & the dog are doing well and so am I. 🦅🦌🦆🐕
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    edited July 2020
    Without air conditioning in the UK, which is rare in private homes, our occasional heatwaves can be grueling. Our last one in June was 93 for some. By the coast here it is usually a bit kinder, but nights are difficult if the wind drops. I have to sleep on my own with a fan blowing on me. DH does not feel the heat.
    At the moment the sun is shining for the weekend, but the temperature is very pleasant.
    My DDIL works in a shed in the garden. She can do Zoom consultations there while she can't travel to London. Even with all the doors and windows open the afternoon temperature was getting ridiculous in the hot weather, so she has got a portable conditioner with a vent through the window. It's noisy, but much better.

Barbara - it always gives me a bit of a shock when you write how expensive medical stuff is. I forget you have to pay. :'(<3 Your vet's bills must be high too. We do have to pay for those, though a lot of people have insurance.

I'm waiting for a refund from Amazon for an undelivered box. They are usually very good, but I have emailed a reminder.

DH can watch his team play soccer on my Prime at 12.30 today. I hope he is suitably grateful as he will have to watch it on my tablet. Our TV is too old and grumpy. It's on at the same time as my big supermarket delivery. :* He is very tense as the final matches of the season are determining whether his team drops out of the Premier League, or not.

I'm a bit sad today ala Barbara as the family are staying over with DDIL's family having FUN in the SUNSHINE. :#>:)
    We are scheduled for a quick garden visit on Thursday. In some ways it's our fault as we are still isolating, while her parents and sister are not bothering. Our incidence is very low in Brighton, but I think now is the time of danger with the relaxation. Anyway, it's our choice, but it's hard.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    [quote=

If you want to raise Monarchs please do it outside with old bird cages or something like that. The need natural light to develop correctly. They will have trouble getting back to Mexico unless you do. I let milkweed come up in my flower beds. I can see some leaves with tell tale holes. If you plant from seed late fall a good time. Once they start they seem to have a mind of their own where they will come up. Last year I saw at least one butterfly a day. I am not home as much this summer so I am not as aware. DH did see one though.

Karen VA and Margaret: Last year was the first time I attempted to raise Monarchs with my childcare kiddos. I have a couple of very small milkweed plants in my back yard, but they have not been home to any eggs or caterpillars, yet. The kids and I collect from a woods across the street from my house. I have learned not to pick milkweed from along the bike path bc so many people have their lawns treated (sometimes spraying the milkweed in the process). Last year I used clear plastic containers to keep them in, but I just made a couple of "butterfly boxes" using old screen and wood frames. The boxes are kept in my kitchen window where they get the breeze, temps, humidity, and daylight. My nephew and his wife just opened a business; growing/selling native plants. I will be visiting them (they are an hour and a half north of me) during my vacation week and will hopefully pick out some butterfly/bird sustaining plants. Black Cap Farms in Onekma (if you are interested) they have a website and a facebook page.

Karen VA- Is your granddaughter able to compete/swim this season? All the pools around here are still closed. :(
    I love your Carolina Shag story!

Rori- Hugs to you! Those little moments all to ourselves are rare and welcome, yes?!

Time marches on. It is Saturday and I need to do my weekly shop and then come home, put my new reel mower together and get my lawn taken care of. I am actually VERY excited to mow today! Whoot! For once, I have the new toy on the block! lol ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)