Calorie Counter

Message Boards Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Replies

• bebeisfitbebeisfit Member Posts: 723 Member Member Posts: 723 Member
    I love this thread!
  • rontuueyeslikeafoxrontuueyeslikeafox Member Posts: 77 Member Member Posts: 77 Member
  • JoyjasJoyjas Member Posts: 18 Member Member Posts: 18 Member
    @2013allen - Your progress is amazing!! Great job!
  • quiksylver296quiksylver296 Member Posts: 27,126 Member Member Posts: 27,126 Member
  • dbanks80dbanks80 Member Posts: 3,612 Member Member Posts: 3,612 Member
    I would like to cut about 15 more lbs.
    Forgive the multiple posts can't figure out how to put two photos in one post!!!! :#
  • MithriditesMithridites Member Posts: 525 Member Member Posts: 525 Member
    @dbanks80 Your arms look great! What program do you follow?
    @dbanks80 Your arms look great! What program do you follow?

Thank you!

I've been doing one on one with a PT. I also do a Alpha Strong class 3 days a week. All with Progressive heavy lifting.
  • persimmonfigpersimmonfig Member Posts: 15 Member Member Posts: 15 Member
    So many amazing posts here from folks who do really intense routines and have really great long-term progress! I've really enjoyed reading your posts. I also thought I'd share my much gentler home routine and experience as a near-beginner.

No pics from me right now, but I've been lifting weights at home 2-3 times a week since the beginning of May, when I finished my PhD. I was extremely sedentary when I started. I used to do separate upper and lower-body routines, but I actually do quite a lot of lower-body strength building through yoga and standing HIIT cardio, and was noticing some muscle fatigue, so I've backed off a bit on those during lifting. (I might pick back up in the future to build further strength, but I've decided I need to stick with the intensity of those other exercises for overall cardiovascular health and for weight loss right now.) I built up from 5 pounds while learning the exercises and now lift 15-pound dumbbells in each hand.

This morning my routine was: biceps curls, shoulder presses, bent-over rows, overhead triceps extensions (only one weight), lateral arm raises, and chest presses. I added in some glute bridges (unweighted) and flutter kicks. 3 sets each of 10 reps.

I'd never done weight training before I started this. In two and a half months of what I consider very slow and gentle progress, I've lost nearly an inch in my waist, about half an inch in my hips (I hold weight there, it's not that surprising that it's not more), and two inches in my thighs (thanks also to the cardio and yoga for that). My weight hasn't really budged at all, either direction. But I am so much stronger, and I've noticeably slimmed down in my face too! I've just started being more intentional about watching what I eat and am looking forward to starting to see a little validation from the scale as well.

I used a lot of online resources to help choose exercises (and I do change them up occasionally!) and learn about proper form and motion. SELF has a lot of articles and videos/GIFs I liked about beginner weight-lifting routines, like this one. I also like that they feature diverse fitness models, including diverse body sizes--not only on principle, but because I found it easier and more encouraging to figure out how to do the exercises by watching people with a lot of different body types!
    So many amazing posts here from folks who do really intense routines and have really great long-term progress! I've really enjoyed reading your posts. I also thought I'd share my much gentler home routine and experience as a near-beginner.

No pics from me right now, but I've been lifting weights at home 2-3 times a week since the beginning of May, when I finished my PhD. I was extremely sedentary when I started. I used to do separate upper and lower-body routines, but I actually do quite a lot of lower-body strength building through yoga and standing HIIT cardio, and was noticing some muscle fatigue, so I've backed off a bit on those during lifting. (I might pick back up in the future to build further strength, but I've decided I need to stick with the intensity of those other exercises for overall cardiovascular health and for weight loss right now.) I built up from 5 pounds while learning the exercises and now lift 15-pound dumbbells in each hand.

This morning my routine was: biceps curls, shoulder presses, bent-over rows, overhead triceps extensions (only one weight), lateral arm raises, and chest presses. I added in some glute bridges (unweighted) and flutter kicks. 3 sets each of 10 reps.

I'd never done weight training before I started this. In two and a half months of what I consider very slow and gentle progress, I've lost nearly an inch in my waist, about half an inch in my hips (I hold weight there, it's not that surprising that it's not more), and two inches in my thighs (thanks also to the cardio and yoga for that). My weight hasn't really budged at all, either direction. But I am so much stronger, and I've noticeably slimmed down in my face too! I've just started being more intentional about watching what I eat and am looking forward to starting to see a little validation from the scale as well.

I used a lot of online resources to help choose exercises (and I do change them up occasionally!) and learn about proper form and motion. SELF has a lot of articles and videos/GIFs I liked about beginner weight-lifting routines, like this one. I also like that they feature diverse fitness models, including diverse body sizes--not only on principle, but because I found it easier and more encouraging to figure out how to do the exercises by watching people with a lot of different body types!

Very inspiring! Keep it up!

I used to be the cardio queen and I used to HATE lifting weights. I started a Bootcamp about 6 yrs ago and the instructor did body building competitions so he incorporated a lot of weight lifting in Bootcamp. I began seeing my body transform and I've been hooked every since. I still love cardio and do a 2 mile run every day but I do a good solid 60 minutes lifting weights. I am hooked!
  • mc62412mc62412 Member Posts: 194 Member Member Posts: 194 Member
    Everyone looks great. I’m only a few months into better eating, started April 12. I’m currently down 33 pounds. I haven’t really done much exercise yet. An occasional 30 mins here and there.
    I’m really interested in lifting. But I have so many questions. Does it matter what size / weight you are when your start. Where do you start. What is the best equipment to get going. So on and so on lol.
    I haven’t started to research it all yet, but it’s in my list !

One day ... I’ll get there.
  • stuffykneestuffyknee Member Posts: 12 Member Member Posts: 12 Member
    What a great thread! I just got back into MyFitnessPal because I'm trying to build more muscle and get a bit of fat back on after a stress-related loss. I decided to start taking part in the community, and I'm so glad!
  • sheena_shewellsheena_shewell Member Posts: 43 Member Member Posts: 43 Member
    nmm97im3pzs7.jpeg
    Results from a recent bulk and 4kg gain. Drop in body fat and built muscle. Back and booty progress