July 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Well i did the thing yesterday and that trail absolutely kicked my butt. It was “expert,” level, which mean in real life, “prepare to die.”

First of all i had a hell of a time finding it. There are signs everywhere that say “Back 40 Parking,” with arrows pointing forward. LIES. I drove around until I was on empty (gas tank) and drove to Missouri on accident, got gas, turned around, and parked at some “Lake Ann,” but there was no lake..... what in the bfe.....

It felt so good to be on a new trail but it was HOT and at the bottom of a valley, which crazy elevation, and all the other things. And I kept running through spider webs, which I never noticed before - that I have NEVER run through a spider web at Slaughterpen. It was a lot of fun and I am going back out after coffee to find a different spot to start at. Maybe one that is more civilized and easily accessible.

On hats: I never wear one.

@tramboman 60s?????? It’s already 80 degrees here.

On minimalist running: I’ll have to add zero drop shoes to my list of things to try. Yesterday on the trail I thought about how much i love Salomons and cannot imagine having done that trail with minimalist shoes. No way.

@Faebert my daughter doesn’t cough in public but she’ll let let em rip from the other end with NO REGARD whatsoever. I’ve learned to embrace it. And feed her more fiber.

@skippygirlsmom yeah, she is the cutest

@quilteryoyo you are amazing! That swag is awesome! And you are beautiful!

@rheddmobile im glad you got to see the doc - i have zero advice on protection from the sun. It sounds like everyone here has great thoughts though!

@shanaber yeah, probably gonna wait to try zero drop shoes for when i am not running so many long distances. Maybe in the fall.... or maybe just stick to what i know works. I do want to try Altras though.

Happy Sunday, all! Keep going!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Got in 6 miles this morning. It was already high 70s when I started, so I took a couple of walk breaks so I wouldn’t overheat. Now enjoying a brunch of shakshuka before I head out for errands.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    7/1 – 0 rest days
    7/2 – 5
    7/3 – 8
    7/4 – 6
    7/5 – 4
    7/6 – 5
    7/7 – 5
    7/8 – 3 with Champ
    7/9 – 2 with Champ
    7/10 – 4 with Champ
    7/11 – 4 mile trail race
    7/12 – 3
    7/13 – 5
    7/14 – 3 with Champ
    7/15 - 3
    7/16 -5
    7/17 – 6
    7/18 – 4
    7/19 – 6
    7/20 – rest day
    7/21 – 5
    7/22 – 5 with Champ
    7/23 – 7
    7/24 – 4
    7/25 – 3
    7/26 - 6

111 of 110 miles

@marisap2010 and @faebert thanks!
    @katharmonic that’s what the doctor said symptoms are different in women
    @RunsOnEspresso it has been hot, 80 at 7:00 in the morning here

My list of virtual and in person races is too long so I’m putting it in the spoiler in case you’re bored and want to look:
    Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July - done
    ISS Virtual 5K in July – done
    Jackalope Trail Run 4 miler – done
    Running of the Bulls Virtual 5K
    Skunk Ape 5 miler August 1 trail race in person
    Shooby Doo Virtual 10K
    The Pinhoti Trail Challenge 335 miles virtual – 1 Sept to 31 Dec
    2020 Liberty Road Challenge WWII soldiers journey from St. Mere Eglisde to Bastogne, Belgium – charity virtual run for the WII museum in New Orleans 716 miles team event 4 July - September
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – Sept
    Space Race 400K Challenge 12 weeks running 248.5 miles to the ISS – August to November
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – postponed from April
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach 88% there!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

On minimalist running: I’ll have to add zero drop shoes to my list of things to try. Yesterday on the trail I thought about how much i love Salomons and cannot imagine having done that trail with minimalist shoes. No way.

Altra makes a great 0 drop but still cushioned trail shoe. I have owned a few. The toe box is more "foot-shaped" so it is a better fit, at least for me, then most shoes. It might be a good one to try. If you are used to 8-10mm running shoes they will feel VERY odd to you. Like you are leaning back on your heal.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Way behind in thread... and new just reported we are on our way to be the hottest July since we started keeping records. It is already the second hottest, and we have a week left!

Not sure about today's run. Might wimp out dunno. Just got home and well 2pm is not the best time of day during a record-breaking heatwave. :)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    Awww. Thank you @Camaramandy648 . I had to laugh at your comment about expert level meaning "prepare to die." Sounds like you enjoyed it!

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    So, Garmin today is not even playing nice with the watch itself. I started an indoor ride and it started, and when I hit save, it got stuck in saving mode, could not even force start. So I plugged into the laptop, and that brought it out. Didn't save the ride though. A lot of people on FB claiming the same thing, that today even the watch is not recording anything or gets stuck.
    Ah well. Hope they are able to resolve soon.

45 min Spin and 45 min run today. Got 900 miles on RTY. I had set a goal of 1000 so def going to beat that, even with running less.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    Way behind in thread... and new just reported we are on our way to be the hottest July since we started keeping records. It is already the second hottest, and we have a week left!

Not sure about today's run. Might wimp out dunno. Just got home and well 2pm is not the best time of day during a record-breaking heatwave. :)

Don't blame you one bit.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 If the watch isn't working today, I'm glad I'm taking a rest day today. Maybe that means they are working on it. I hope they are able to get back up soon.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Yikes, glad you are ok
    @quilteryoyo Great run, and nice swag. Look great!
    @Camaramandy648 You keep a go! So proud of you. I ran barefoot at the beach a couple times, and I get what you mean.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 If the watch isn't working today, I'm glad I'm taking a rest day today. Maybe that means they are working on it. I hope they are able to get back up soon.

Yep, good time to rest! All these other apps are probably working overtime with all the Garmin users switching to track...
  • PastorVincent
    Options

They absolutely are working on it. The poor IT people probably have not been home since it started. We have the minor inconvenience of not tracking/recording the way we are used to, but I know IT and I know what they are going through right now and every single one of the IT workers wants this over far more than you. As do their families.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @PastorVincent I like the way you think. :lol: I too feel sorry for the Garmin IT people. I know they are working hard and trying to get it back up and running as quickly as possible. I wish the people that came up with ransomware would use their talents for good instead of creating chaos.
  • deraffemikey06
    deraffemikey06 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Date Miles
    7/1 8.6
    7/2 8.6
    7/3 8.3
    7/4 8.7
    7/5 8.7
    7/6 8.7
    7/7 9
    7/8 8.7
    7/9 8.7
    7/10 9.2
    7/11 8.6
    7/12 8.6
    7/13 8.8
    7/14 8.6
    7/15 8.4
    7/16 8.5
    7/17 8.6
    7/18 8.6
    7/19 8.7
    7/20 8.6
    7/21 8.6
    7/22 8.5
    7/23 8.79
    7/24 8.61
    7/25 8.5
    7/26 17.2

Actual: 233.4/ Goal: 275
    Wanted over 20 today, but my shoes said no, I was very worried I was about to face plant for the last three miles as is. I don't remember having this problem before with my old shoe brand. Might need to rethink my shoes
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    July Goal: 100 Miles

7/1: 6.51 miles
    7/2: 6.02 miles
    7/5: 10.10 miles
    7/7: 6.22 miles
    7/8: 6.05 miles
    7/9: 6.08 miles
    7/12: 10.03 miles
    7/14: 6.21 miles
    7/15: 6.02 miles
    7/16: 6.22 miles
    7/19: 10.52 miles
    7/21: 6.02 miles
    7/22: 6.02 miles
    7/23: 6.04 miles
    7/26: 10.52 miles

108.58/100 miles completed for July

796.4/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I have a harder time getting up early on Sunday than during the week, but I managed to get out the door around 6:45 this morning It was 75°f with 92% humidity, but that was the coolest part of the day and it wasn't awful.  The sun was just coming up and it was a pretty morning.  I ran 10.5 miles and that gets me 8 miles over my 100 mile goal for July.

It was a pretty nice run. I even saw some other people out running today which doesn't happen to me often.  I ran through a  water sprinkler which was nice. I only saw one loose dog and he didn't bother me. I saw him heading my way and then this big lab that I always see started barking and the loose dog went over to the lab's fence and I went on my way. I see that lab a lot and he never barks at me. Sometimes he'll come up to the fence, but he usually just looks at me and goes on about his business.  I think he was telling the loose dog not to bother me. Maybe I anthropomorphize dogs too much. 😄 But I was glad the loose dog seemed more interested in him than in me.

Great job on your 10K PR @quilteryoyo!

@rheddmobile Glad you were able to get treatment.  Hopefully you won't have too much trouble with side effects.

@skippygirlsmom Glad you are ok and it wasn't your heart. My first thought was also gallbladder.  My mom ended up in the ER once thinking she was having a heart attack but it was her gallbladder. 

@marisap2010 Sounds like a rough weekend.  Glad your dog is better.

@faebert Your daughter is right. That's so funny. And by the way I also got some Aftershokz Titanium headphones recently and I  love them.

@hamsterwheel6 I'm sorry you lost your ride. So far I haven't had any trouble with my watch. I'll be sure and play Zombies Run on my next few runs so I can track my run twice.  So far my watch is working fine and I have been able to upload my runs to Strava with no trouble. Hopefully they will get the issues resolved soon. I really feel bad for the Garmin employees.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 my watch is working fine too, sorry about your ride being lost. I moved everything to Strava using the upload function from my watch.

Thanks for the well wishes on my little scare, I feel fine now. The second question after how bad is the pain and where was "do you still have your gallbladder".

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I was fortunate that my Fenix 5 worked for today's run. No issues aside from still can't load to Garmin and see details.

So I went ahead and put the file in Strava manually and updated my ticker that I haven't been keeping up with either:

exercise.png

Today was a half marathon distance and I fear I'm detrained. It was slow and just terrible overall. :(
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Yeah, I ended up, uploading my runs manually mainly so that my coach could see the data and so that MFP would be rightist for food again. I suspect there is a chance this will create duplicates when they are finally back up and syncing is live again, but I can just delete the manual entries if that happens. Or ignore them which is also pretty likely. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I was fortunate that my Fenix 5 worked for today's run. No issues aside from still can't load to Garmin and see details.

With my 935 I can see the details on the watch itself, which is nice, but with the tiny watch screen it takes a lot of scrolling. :) I assume your Fenix 5 would be the same.