Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Face mask or no face mask?

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,130 Member
    amart4224 wrote: »
    For the past few months I've only been going to parks or nature areas, the dog park, and around my own property so there hasn't been a reason to wear a mask. I get my groceries via curbside pickup. There is one guy who shows up to the dog park in mask and gloves and gets some pretty weird looks, but hey, if it makes him feel safer then more power to him.

He isn't wearing it to make himself feel safe. I can not believe there still are people who just don't get the concept. He's gearing up to keep YOU safe.

Thanks, I was ready to post the same thing. People don't get it!! Not wonder we are in such a big mess.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/07/29/coronavirus-barr-get-tested-after-louie-gohmert-found-positive/5535187002/

How stupid is that? You wear a mask so if you are infected you don't pass the virus around. Now, everyone that he was in contact with has to be tested and probably quarantine.

"Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, had tested positive for the virus. Gohmert told CNN in June he would only wear a mask if he contracted the virus."

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I side with this guy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8571789/Lockdown-free-Sweden-seeing-positive-downward-trend.html
    Lockdown-free Sweden is seeing a 'very positive' downward trend in cases, country's coronavirus expert reveals as he dismisses wearing masks on public transport as 'pointless'

Their downward trend is from one of the highest death rates in relation to population in Europe, so I don't know if their Corona guy should be a go-to for prevention information.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53498133

I'll be honest in that I had to step away from a lot of news outlets today for head space health, so I hadn't heard about this - I knew Sweden did not go into lock down and they were held up as models for everyone else back a few months ago because they seemed to not have a problem with the virus - that apparently changed? I was wondering when - the reason being my best friend still believes all this corona virus is a conspiracy and that it isn't nearly as bad as everyone is making out to be, and one of her shining examples for her "theory" was that Sweden didn't go into lock down and yet didn't have any trouble. (I don't argue with her; there isn't a point. I'd have better success is trying to use a straw to re-direct a tornado than changing her mind about her conspiracy theories, but I like have the information for my own sanity)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I side with this guy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8571789/Lockdown-free-Sweden-seeing-positive-downward-trend.html
    Lockdown-free Sweden is seeing a 'very positive' downward trend in cases, country's coronavirus expert reveals as he dismisses wearing masks on public transport as 'pointless'

Their downward trend is from one of the highest death rates in relation to population in Europe, so I don't know if their Corona guy should be a go-to for prevention information.

I'll be honest in that I had to step away from a lot of news outlets today for head space health, so I hadn't heard about this - I knew Sweden did not go into lock down and they were held up as models for everyone else back a few months ago because they seemed to not have a problem with the virus - that apparently changed? I was wondering when - the reason being my best friend still believes all this corona virus is a conspiracy and that it isn't nearly as bad as everyone is making out to be, and one of her shining examples for her "theory" was that Sweden didn't go into lock down and yet didn't have any trouble. (I don't argue with her; there isn't a point. I'd have better success is trying to use a straw to re-direct a tornado than changing her mind about her conspiracy theories, but I like have the information for my own sanity)

I posted a couple of things about this earlier. One was that the "no lockdown" thing was overblown as they did cancel big gatherings and encourage people who could to stay home (pretty similar to what most of the supposedly locked down US did), and that the purpose was to protect the economy and, in fact, they've had economic issues too. (I will try to scroll back and find the pieces.)

Another is that timing seems to be related to when you got the virus (as a northern European country Sweden had advantages vs Italy and its neighbors or a place as cosmopolitan as England), and density (and again it has nowhere nearly as dense as London or NYC).

So that said, Sweden's numbers are 560 deaths per 1 million, only behind (in Europe) Belgium with 861 (Belgium never gets talked about, I'd like to know why their numbers are so awful), UK (690 -- note UK shut down late after originally planning to do what Sweden did and it's bad numbers are mainly England), and Italy (581 -- got hit really early so with little prep time, Sweden had way more warning). More comparable countries like Germany (110 -- note much closer to Italy and more of an international hub), Denmark (106), and Norway (48 -- granted, less dense, but still) did way better.

The US is at 455.5, but increasing. Still, way more of the US's numbers are the awful results in some densely populated NE states early on: NJ (1780), NY (NYC alone is obv way worse) (1680), MA (1240), CT (1240), RI (950), DE (600), and PA (560). Also notable are DC (830), Louisiana (820), MI (640), and IL (600), as well as MD (likely due to DC burbs, 570) -- again largely due to dense cities and early spread (DC and Chi in IL are international hubs, NOLA got a bad outbreak early likely due to Mardi Gras). The rest of the US states are currently below Sweden, so did it do well?

The very worst states hit in the US also are doing very well now, which may (knock on wood) mean that there is some degree of herd immunity (so long as one is also careful, as I think there is a mask culture and social distancing practiced there much more rigorously than in the rest of the US, likely due to the shock and impact of what happened during the worst of it. I think there is a lot still unknown about all of this (I think deaths outside of elderly are rare, but am concerned about continuing effects which I don't think Sweden has tested for -- there are a number of worrying studies).

The one argument I think Sweden has (and NY too, but not intentionally) is that places hit extra hard early (compared to similar areas) seem to maybe end up with a shorter run of this. IL is dense (well, Chi), and locked down as soon and as hard, and never hit the highs, but seems not to be able to shake this thing. Could be we are just delaying it.

So dunno, but I hope this at least complicates the simplistic stories some are telling about who the "successes" are. I think Sweden is far from clearly one.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I side with this guy.

So that said, Sweden's numbers are 560 deaths per 1 million, only behind (in Europe) Belgium with 861 (Belgium never gets talked about, I'd like to know why their numbers are so awful), UK (690 -- note UK shut down late after originally planning to do what Sweden did and it's bad numbers are mainly England), and Italy (581 -- got hit really early so with little prep time, Sweden had way more warning). More comparable countries like Germany (110 -- note much closer to Italy and more of an international hub), Denmark (106), and Norway (48 -- granted, less dense, but still) did way better.

It's because of the way they count deaths. They're including every suspected case not confirmed by testing in their toll. Deaths are usually undercounted in places that are hit badly. I've seen reports about excess mortality in Europe and later in Latin America, a higher increase in the number of deaths above average than the documented covid numbers predict.
  • girlgrub
    girlgrub Posts: 1 Member
    Only 11 active cases in my state (Queensland Australia) We had weeks with no new cases but I'm getting some masks for the family, as the other states around us have more and more cases each day. Time to stay safe.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,948 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    For the past few months I've only been going to parks or nature areas, the dog park, and around my own property so there hasn't been a reason to wear a mask. I get my groceries via curbside pickup. There is one guy who shows up to the dog park in mask and gloves and gets some pretty weird looks, but hey, if it makes him feel safer then more power to him.

He isn't wearing it to make himself feel safe. I can not believe there still are people who just don't get the concept. He's gearing up to keep YOU safe.

Thanks, I was ready to post the same thing. People don't get it!! Not wonder we are in such a big mess.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/07/29/coronavirus-barr-get-tested-after-louie-gohmert-found-positive/5535187002/

How stupid is that? You wear a mask so if you are infected you don't pass the virus around. Now, everyone that he was in contact with has to be tested and probably quarantine.

"Rep. Louie Gohmert, R-Texas, had tested positive for the virus. Gohmert told CNN in June he would only wear a mask if he contracted the virus."

And he went back to his office after testing positive to tell his staff about the test results, still without wearing a mask. Unlike many other members of Congress, he required all his staff, including interns, to work in the office, "to set an example about how to reopen safely," and staff who chose to wear masks were berated.
  • i8my4re
    i8my4re Posts: 4 Member
    Only where mandated for me (Canada). However, I also follow my local municipal numbers and I do practice social distancing, so I'm not overly concerned with coming into contact with a carrier. I question how effective this truly is as a mandate as most will just misshandle the mask they are putting on and off throughout the day anyhow. If it was truly important they should be available at any and all entrances that require it with hand sanitizer prior to use. IMO. As a side note, I'm back in the gym which I think is doing a fantastic job of mitigating the risk (fit4less - by appt only).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I side with this guy.

It's because of the way they count deaths. They're including every suspected case not confirmed by testing in their toll. Deaths are usually undercounted in places that are hit badly. I've seen reports about excess mortality in Europe and later in Latin America, a higher increase in the number of deaths above average than the documented covid numbers predict.

Thanks!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I side with this guy.

Their mortality rate is higher than even ours in the US, so I don't think it is accurate to say that didn't have any trouble. They do seem to now have declining rates though.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    edited July 2020

Outdoors? At a place where no one comes within 20 feet of him? Nahhhh it's for himself and his own fear. And if he honestly believes there's a chance he has the virus and could spread it to others... maybe don't spend every evening hanging out at the dog park?
  • amart4224

Outdoors? At a place where no one comes within 20 feet of him? Nahhhh it's for himself and his own fear. And if he honestly believes there's a chance he has the virus and could spread it to others... maybe don't spend every evening hanging out at the dog park?

So what if it is? It's harming NOBODY. If it's driven by his anxiety, it's a coping tool that allows him to get out of the house and get some exercise for his dog. I think it's terrible to try to make someone feel awkward for that (and let's be clear, that's exactly what people are doing when they're ostentatiously giving someone "weird looks" because even little kids can learn that it's rude to stare at unusual -looking people). And you have no idea what health conditions he may or may not have that make COVID-19 seem more intimidating. If someone wants to wear gloves and a mask outside, why do you even care?

If you read my comment above, you'll see that I don't care if anyone else wears a mask - as I said, more power to him if it makes him feel better. But your right to wear a mask does not mean you won't get weird looks for it when there is seemingly no logic behind your actions. As I said above, if he's that scared of spreading it to others or catching it himself, why spend all this time at the DOG PARK? Does he really think it's worth risking death just to exercise his dog?
  • amart4224
    edited July 2020
    Will you continue to wear your mask every year during flu season (which also kills hundreds of thousands of people each year), or do you only feel obligated to protect them from the "special" diseases?

edited by a MFP moderator
  • amart4224

So what if it is? It's harming NOBODY. If it's driven by his anxiety, it's a coping tool that allows him to get out of the house and get some exercise for his dog. I think it's terrible to try to make someone feel awkward for that (and let's be clear, that's exactly what people are doing when they're ostentatiously giving someone "weird looks" because even little kids can learn that it's rude to stare at unusual -looking people). And you have no idea what health conditions he may or may not have that make COVID-19 seem more intimidating. If someone wants to wear gloves and a mask outside, why do you even care?

If you read my comment above, you'll see that I don't care if anyone else wears a mask - as I said, more power to him if it makes him feel better. But your right to wear a mask does not mean you won't get weird looks for it when there is seemingly no logic behind your actions. As I said above, if he's that scared of spreading it to others or catching it himself, why spend all this time at the DOG PARK? Does he really think it's worth risking death just to exercise his dog?

You're ignoring that he's potentially wearing the PPE to manage or alleviate his anxiety specifically so he can spend time at the dog park and since it's an act that isn't harming anyone, I don't understand your response. Anxiety is real, this can be an especially challenging time for people who were already struggling with it, and it's okay if people want to take non-harmful actions to manage it.

You have the legal right to try to shame anyone acting unusually or atypically. Nobody is arguing that you don't. But we have the legal right to do all kinds of things that are morally inappropriate or just plain mean. This guy is just trying to get outside with his dog. You know nothing about what mental or physical issues might be behind his choice of PPE. I don't get the desired result here -- that people with anxiety must conform or avoid parks until the outbreak is over? That potentially immune-compromised people can't take protective steps that are beyond what non-immune-compromised people would consider reasonable? When you give people "weird looks" in public, you're sending a message to them. What do you want this guy to take away from the messages you're giving him?

As I said in my previous comments, my only response is "you do you." Yes, people give him weird looks because his actions are irrational, but he's obviously fine with it because he continues to come to the dog park in his mask and gloves. There was another guy who frequently came to the dog park in 90+ degree weather wearing a long sleeved hoodie. People also gave him weird looks.

People judge no matter what you do, so you do you and don't let anyone's reaction bother you.
This discussion has been closed.