August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    5 miles this morning. Feels like temp 85F at 5am. So much for getting to use the treadmill when weather is crap...Wife says it is too loud with her aunt sleeping in the next room. So I probably won't be able to use it unit October, but by then it will be great weather, so I won't need it. I guess it will be waiting for me in Decmember.
    Anyway, it was a blistering hot run, but that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger, as the saying goes. Not really sure which category this run falls into, but since I am typing this, I guess it is the latter 😕

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 HA! I have seen several runners learn that lesson :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    5 miles this morning. Feels like temp 85F at 5am. So much for getting to use the treadmill when weather is crap...Wife says it is too loud with her aunt sleeping in the next room. So I probably won't be able to use it unit October, but by then it will be great weather, so I won't need it. I guess it will be waiting for me in Decmember.
    Anyway, it was a blistering hot run, but that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger, as the saying goes. Not really sure which category this run falls into, but since I am typing this, I guess it is the latter 😕

exercise.png

Dreadmills are very loud. :(
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    My coach is definitely of the philosophy that you don't worry about pace except during speedwork, and even then it's not the numbers but the effort, so I try not t o get too hung up. But I think I've been drifting to a slower and slower average pace.
    As temps in crease, your pace will decrease, that is why learning to run by effort is so important.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I was actually thinking about looking into a Vizsla, just because of your posts about Hobbes. But, one thing I did learn from the weekend is that Tippy is much happier as an only dog. So, it will be a while, I hope, before I am ready to get another dog. I will keep that in mind though, when the time comes.

@PastorVincent I guess yesterday was the day for headphones to die. I hadn't plugged mine in either. Now it would be really eerie if you were listening to American pie when your music died too. You did good to push through and get in 14 miles! Glad your plumbing is fixed.

@marisap2010 Yeah for the NSV. I need to go shopping for new clothes, but for now am just wearing the few I have that sort of fit.

Great run @katharmonic ! Sometimes I feel like I'm drifting to slower pace too, but I have realized this weekend that my fitness level seems to have really increased with the longer, slower runs.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @mbaker566 Love the pictures of the run. Glad the dogs both did well. They are adorable. I did laugh at your selfie.

• PastorVincent
    Options

@PastorVincent I guess yesterday was the day for headphones to die. I hadn't plugged mine in either. Now it would be really eerie if you were listening to American pie when your music died too. You did good to push through and get in 14 miles! Glad your plumbing is fixed.

You know funny thing now that you mention it... I was, in fact, listening to an audio book :tongue:
  • mahmood_ak
    mahmood_ak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 I'll have to remember that next time I go blond.
  • Tramboman
    Options
    8-1 rest
    8-2 7k easy
    8-3 rest
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 7k moderate
    8-6 7k easy
    8-7 7k easy
    8-8 7k slow
    8-9 7k easy
    8-10 rest

August Total: 49k
    August Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k

2020 Total through July: 1236k / 176.5k per month

Rest day today. Golf instead of running.
    Heat is coming back: it's going to be a tough week.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Scott6255 That is really hot for 5am! Can you run on the treadmill later in the day, after your aunt-in-law wakes up?
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I got out the door at 7:40 this morning. That is early for me, but, like @katharmonic said, not really that early. :wink: I was scheduled for a Fast Finish Run - basically going for negative splits. It was 66°F and 83% humidity at the start, so not terrible. Today's run was much better than yesterday's...at least my legs didn't feel like lead. I did manage negative splits and was pleased with how my HR trended upwards as it should have. I was sort-of on a time crunch this morning, so didn't go much longer than the plan called for...just enough to get to a good stopping point mileage wise. So, I ran 2.75 miles and walked 1. Then I went to my mom and dad's and helped them get peaches ready to can. The peaches they got are really good.

exercise.png

and 6/20 miles walking.

• InkedAtty57
    InkedAtty57 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    8/8 3.5 miles 3.5/50
    8/9 10.5 miles 14.0/50
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 That is really hot for 5am! Can you run on the treadmill later in the day, after your aunt-in-law wakes up?

No, I am at work by 5 or 6 am on non-running days, 7 am at the latest on running days. If I wait until I get home from work to run, would mean I don't get my afternoon lifting done on running days, and my evening walk would probably not happen.
  • quilteryoyo
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @kgirlhart Prayers for your dad and the doctor's and nurses. I know from experience how hard it is for him to be alone in the hospital when he can't hear well. Same thing happened to my dad last month. I really wish they would let one person be with the elderly in cases like this. Dad thinks he knows what they say, but it isn't always what someone actually says. I called the nurses and asked them to be sure he knew what they were asking him. They said they would, but I'm not sure they did and he was so stressed and would call me to see if he answered things correctly. Now, mom and I are pretty sure he won't go back into the hospital if he needs to for that very reason. I guess he would have to for a broken bone, but not much else. I say all of that to let you know I empathize with him and you and will definitely pray everything goes well. How long will he have to be in the hospital?

@Scott6255 Well, that stinks. I hope the weather cools down at least a little for your morning runs. Is there some other place in your house or garage that you can move the treadmill? Sorry, not trying to be bossy. Just trying to help out.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    OH!

The recurring dreams topic:

Since I was a tiny, tiny girl I have always dreamed of running through the forest. I am always going, so free...

My recurring dream has become my reality...
  • Tramboman
    Options
    @kgirlhart Hope your dad's surgery goes well and he makes a swift and complete recovery.