WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    O
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Howdy from North Texas - I'm Donna and I'm technically 49.5...but hope you are all ok with that. My metabolism is definitely over the 49 hump....so maybe that counts? ;D Anyway - I'm 205 days into tracking on here. I've lost 15-17 lbs depending on the day. I've done all of the different TDEE, BMR calculators..and have come up with various caloric goals. Just went to one specifically for older than 50 folks. My new TDEE is 1500 to lose 2 lbs a week. I've had numbers much higher...and lower. Here is my question... If by chance you are 5'3 'ish ....what is your calorie goal? Do you "zig zag" your calories to keep your metabolism rocking along? I'm planning to try to go to the gym at our rec center soon and check out if the covid cleaning standards are good enough that I would feel comfortable and safe there. I have been doing at home zoom zumba classes throughout quarantine. I'm starting to walk a few mornings a week with a friend at 6:15. With my business, (pet sitter full time) I do have the occasional dog walk to do. Of course, with the current covid situation...my business is slower than usual...so adding in walks on my own.

@dsgoingtodoit , Donna from North Texas, welcome!

No worries on the age, you're welcome anyway. :) Well done on the 15-17 pounds lost! Honestly, on the subject of where to keep your calorie goals, much like exercise, I think as long as you're losing, any amount you set over 1000 is fine. I've heard in more than one place that you multiply the weight you're trying to get to times for in order to get to that weight. Since I would like to eventually end up at 140, I shoot for 1400 and try not to get too crazy about it. I have been known to zig zag my calories but haven't had to yet in this run. I just do it long enough to get me off a stall.

Regards,
    Lisa in AR

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,781 Member
    Machka--Not sure I like all that gold. Interesting place and price.

I agree about the heat. I hate it. I stay inside as much as possible. At work I freeze so I am not happy about that. I just want Fall to get here.

Welcome to all the new ladies. Hi. to everyone else.
    Enjoy your day. Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Today is World Lion Day!

"World Lion Day supports and promotes charities and foundations that instill awareness of the great need for conservation efforts and sustainable solutions for addressing the global dwindling wild lion population in fulfilling our mission to protect and save the lions."

Faye - We had the opposite experience with winemaking and brewing. I never made a wine I was excited to drink, but nearly all of our beers and liqueurs have been good.

Rebecca - Your glowstick post was hilarious. I'm disappointed not to be glowing too!

Lisa - Mini-magnolias sound nice. How tall will they get? Altnough I do enjoy making bread the old-fashioned way, I probably wouldn't do it nearly as often if I didn't have a bread machine. I put in the ingredients and let the machine make the dough, then all I have to do is form up the loaves and bake them in the oven after a final rise.

RV Rita - I looked into a POD a few years back when we were getting ready to move, and thought the cost was shocking!

Machka - I'm envious of your gorgeous head of hair! I wore mine long for years but it's very fine and the length pulled out all of the wave so it got stringy the longer it grew. I think my hair is happier now that I've cut it off and let the curls do what they will.

Barbara - Our closest friends have been very careful during the pandemic so we manage to see them now and then with appropriate social distance. But I do SO miss hugging them!

Annie - We have a friend who is a professional fantasy writer. Whenever I start one of her books, I have to remind myself to stick with it because she tends to start out with way too much background before the story really takes off. Once that's out of the way her story-telling is terrific and sufficient to keep me going to the end regardless of how long the book is. But getting there takes some patience. Every writer has strengths and weaknesses, and beginnings are not her strength.

Michele - I use a small amount of yeast in addition to the sourdough starter when I make sourdough bread. It's usually around half the amount I'd use without the starter.

KetoneKaren - Wow, the Ogallala water tower looks like a space ship. What an amazing photo!

Well, as you can see, I got behind and had to do a lot of skimming to catch up again. Everything has gotten to the crispy stage here and we don't water the yard often but I had to start putting the hose on the trees. I'm so excited that our persimmon tree has finally established well enough to set fruit. It took several years to get there but it has quite a few small persimmons on it. The one fruit that looked most ripe had a big hole taken out of it, so yesterday we threw some bird netting over it. Hopefully the culprit was birds and not squirrels.

Continuing to have motivational issues. Stupid COVID... I had such a good routine going before it came along! Last night I took Luna for a walk at about 9:30 but the temperature was still nearly 90 with a heat index of 93 so it wasn't much fun. Starting today, I'm promising myself that I'll only watch TV if I do a workout on the stationary bike or Nordic Track when I turn on the tube.

Fall can come along any time now!

-Yvonne in TX
  • ixchelkeshet
    ixchelkeshet Posts: 36 Member
    ydailey wrote: »
    Today is World Lion Day!

"World Lion Day supports and promotes charities and foundations that instill awareness of the great need for conservation efforts and sustainable solutions for addressing the global dwindling wild lion population in fulfilling our mission to protect and save the lions."

Faye - We had the opposite experience with winemaking and brewing. I never made a wine I was excited to drink, but nearly all of our beers and liqueurs have been good.

Rebecca - Your glowstick post was hilarious. I'm disappointed not to be glowing too!

Lisa - Mini-magnolias sound nice. How tall will they get? Altnough I do enjoy making bread the old-fashioned way, I probably wouldn't do it nearly as often if I didn't have a bread machine. I put in the ingredients and let the machine make the dough, then all I have to do is form up the loaves and bake them in the oven after a final rise.

RV Rita - I looked into a POD a few years back when we were getting ready to move, and thought the cost was shocking!

Machka - I'm envious of your gorgeous head of hair! I wore mine long for years but it's very fine and the length pulled out all of the wave so it got stringy the longer it grew. I think my hair is happier now that I've cut it off and let the curls do what they will.

Barbara - Our closest friends have been very careful during the pandemic so we manage to see them now and then with appropriate social distance. But I do SO miss hugging them!

Annie - We have a friend who is a professional fantasy writer. Whenever I start one of her books, I have to remind myself to stick with it because she tends to start out with way too much background before the story really takes off. Once that's out of the way her story-telling is terrific and sufficient to keep me going to the end regardless of how long the book is. But getting there takes some patience. Every writer has strengths and weaknesses, and beginnings are not her strength.

Michele - I use a small amount of yeast in addition to the sourdough starter when I make sourdough bread. It's usually around half the amount I'd use without the starter.

KetoneKaren - Wow, the Ogallala water tower looks like a space ship. What an amazing photo!

Well, as you can see, I got behind and had to do a lot of skimming to catch up again. Everything has gotten to the crispy stage here and we don't water the yard often but I had to start putting the hose on the trees. I'm so excited that our persimmon tree has finally established well enough to set fruit. It took several years to get there but it has quite a few small persimmons on it. The one fruit that looked most ripe had a big hole taken out of it, so yesterday we threw some bird netting over it. Hopefully the culprit was birds and not squirrels.

Continuing to have motivational issues. Stupid COVID... I had such a good routine going before it came along! Last night I took Luna for a walk at about 9:30 but the temperature was still nearly 90 with a heat index of 93 so it wasn't much fun. Starting today, I'm promising myself that I'll only watch TV if I do a workout on the stationary bike or Nordic Track when I turn on the tube.

Fall can come along any time now!

-Yvonne in TX

I am with you in looking forward to crisp fall days and to the end of "Stupid CIVID.!" I also work out while doing some Zen activity like watching TV or an instructional video. Perfect to put you in that headspace of keeping calm and carrying on.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Lisa - bless you !!! Your one busy lady...
    Im tired just listening to all you do.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2020
    Teri: I envy your paddle in the sea. We still have our boat, but it is currently my task to maintain it. I am not willing to try to single-hand so it has become an ornament. Sort of. Lat time DS was here, he & I took it for a sail. That was last summer and I enjoyed every minute.. :flowerforyou:

German Hillbilly: Congrats on your weight loss! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Anne in DE: I’m so sorry to hear that the stable where you ride was damaged in the storm. I hope the horse with lacerations will be able to heal. :broken_heart::heart:

Donna from TX: Welcome, you sweet young thing. Stop by often and get to know people. :star:

Barbie: 70 degrees and heavenly works for me. If it is hotter than 70F I can handle things okay as long as the air conditioner works. It has been working for many years and still going strong. So far, so good. :smiley:

Heather: Propane BBQ is my preferred way to cook outdoors. I don’t like the hassle or smell of charcoal briquettes. Isn’t it nice that we can both enjoy cooking outdoors the way we each prefer. We had a charcoal BBQ in the past. DH decided to squirt lighter fluid in it and used more than he intended. Neighbors called the fire department. :embarassed: After that we bought a propane BBQ. Nobody has called the fire department for that endeavor again, although neighbors did call when we put our ovens on their automatic clean cycle. We vowed to clean them more often to avoid smoke and embarrassment. :ohwell:

Yvonne & ixchelkeshet: The Covid Crisis doesn’t appear to be over. Take care of yourselves!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    BETH ~ The last time I went to the dentist to get a crown replaced, I was shaking so hard that the dentist could not do the work. I also hate going to the dentist.

Carol in GA
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Yvonne How interesting on the opposite homebrewing experience. I live in a microbrewery paradise and few of the local beers appeal to me. My favorite is McMennimins raspberry beer. I have thought about trying it again and this time making my own malt and blending in raspberries for a 5% beer. Interesting in my yesteryear brewing, I had awesome spring water and still puzzled why my beer was so harsh sometimes sour. I even bought top-grade hops and premium malt. Our club master brewer even tutored me in every stage and finally just decided I must be in a beer destroying vortex.

Lisa We are experiencing some serious heat, but it is dry here with low humidity. I couldn't take the temperatures in Arkansas or East Texas because of the humidity. I spent some time there with grandparents and I remember those chiggers and having to put sulfur on my lower body in unprintable places. I can still hear my grandma's voice saying, "Della Faye DON'T scratch." They didn't have AC, just big fans.

Heather Sorry to hear DH is stubborn. Yes, people with vertigo don't like fans. I can identify with DH as my being a fitness nut my entire life and at age 61 being in bed lying still as possible 20 out of 24 hours for 3 years was cruel and unusual punishment. I am surprised that he lets you do the maneuvers. Blindfold DH and get those fans going! I keep my place 68 F days and 66 F night. 85 is too hot unless you are in the Caribbean and a nice breeze is blowing.

Rita Sure wish I had read your post before my workout and the long walk. I feel as I have defiled Worldwide Lazy Day and will shame National S'mores day as it is too hot for a fire in the chiminea. S'mores are never the same made indoors.
    qzjx0x2e51m2.jpg

Faye PNW
    River brat
    czhmx9j928z3.jpg

• ixchelkeshet
    ixchelkeshet Posts: 36 Member
    Yvonne How interesting on the opposite homebrewing experience. I live in a microbrewery paradise and few of the local beers appeal to me. My favorite is McMennimins raspberry beer. I have thought about trying it again and this time making my own malt and blending in raspberries for a 5% beer. Interesting in my yesteryear brewing, I had awesome spring water and still puzzled why my beer was so harsh sometimes sour. I even bought top-grade hops and premium malt. Our club master brewer even tutored me in every stage and finally just decided I must be in a beer destroying vortex.

Lisa We are experiencing some serious heat, but it is dry here with low humidity. I couldn't take the temperatures in Arkansas or East Texas because of the humidity. I spent some time there with grandparents and I remember those chiggers and having to put sulfur on my lower body in unprintable places. I can still hear my grandma's voice saying, "Della Faye DON'T scratch." They didn't have AC, just big fans.

Heather Sorry to hear DH is stubborn. Yes, people with vertigo don't like fans. I can identify with DH as my being a fitness nut my entire life and at age 61 being in bed lying still as possible 20 out of 24 hours for 3 years was cruel and unusual punishment. I am surprised that he lets you do the maneuvers. Blindfold DH and get those fans going! I keep my place 68 F days and 66 F night. 85 is too hot unless you are in the Caribbean and a nice breeze is blowing.

Rita Sure wish I had read your post before my workout and the long walk. I feel as I have defiled Worldwide Lazy Day and will shame National S'mores day as it is too hot for a fire in the chiminea. S'mores are never the same made indoors.
    qzjx0x2e51m2.jpg

Faye PNW
    River brat
    czhmx9j928z3.jpg

To Heather: There was just news saying that vitamin D may be helpful to some suffering from vertigo. It might be worth following up with DH's doctor.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Debbie How awesome that your dad is still growing popcorn. I grew up on homegrown popcorn. It was hull-less but I don't remember if it was Japanese. I hated gardening and always volunteered for tractor fieldwork or anything but growing and processing vegetables. My folks had a ONE ACRE garden for the three of us and we gave away most of it. We usually put up 2 years' worth every year as they worried about bad years. I can't remember any bad years just hours and hours of snapping, shucking, peeling, canning, drying, freezing, etc. I didn't like gardening until I was in my 20's and I even grew my own wheat for making bread. I remember the time spent removing kernels off the cobs. Does your dad have a good rate of kernels popping? One year I did and the next it was less than 50% so I gave up on popcorn. Now living in a town near numerous fruit and vegetable stands, I can buy it for less than it cost for water to grow it.

Donna Welcome and no problem on the slightly less than 50. Lots of great ladies here with varied experiences and ideas. Hard for me to realize that I turned 50, 20 years ago.

Michele Can you believe I walked away from buying the 3 tops I did for $12? After waiting in line for a few minutes and went back and got them. I am still mad I didn't buy a 4th, but it was a white T-shirt and I thought I would never wear it so I passed on it for $3. I think it was a regular $19. I originally bought the poncho style top for the awesome material, but after wearing it I couldn't cut it up. It is so cool and comfortable. I am still adjusting to the style.

Faye with hair of gray
    Feeling empowered
    in her new cape

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Germank106 wrote: »
    Stepped on the scale this morning and the first 10 pounds are gone. Yay me! It feels like a 100 lbs off my soul.
    I went walking early this morning. We had lots of thunderstorms yesterday and today it is so muggy it takes your breath away. DH wants to go fishing but I'm not sure he can handle the heat and humidity.
    I spent all weekend working on a blanket for my SIL and knitting socks. Also ordered fabric for some serious sewing.
    I hope everyone has a great week.

german hillbilly in Missouri

I am an obsessive sock knitter and sewer too

Kate UK ❤️

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    Debbie How awesome that your dad is still growing popcorn. I grew up on homegrown popcorn. It was hull-less but I don't remember if it was Japanese. I hated gardening and always volunteered for tractor fieldwork or anything but growing and processing vegetables. My folks had a ONE ACRE garden for the three of us and we gave away most of it. We usually put up 2 years' worth every year as they worried about bad years. I can't remember any bad years just hours and hours of snapping, shucking, peeling, canning, drying, freezing, etc. I didn't like gardening until I was in my 20's and I even grew my own wheat for making bread. I remember the time spent removing kernels off the cobs. Does your dad have a good rate of kernels popping? One year I did and the next it was less than 50% so I gave up on popcorn. Now living in a town near numerous fruit and vegetable stands, I can buy it for less than it cost for water to grow it.

Faye with hair of gray
    Feeling empowered
    in her new cape

The popcorn he was using was YEARS old- found a gunny sack full in the shop in one of the closets and decided to try popping some- came out great then used some of that seed plus ordered new seed for last year's crop. He did 8 100ft rows last year. This year they are 50ft long but not sure how many rows he planted, It will be enough for sure. He ended up with so many gallon jars of corn last year and still has some left.
    No tractor work for me-gardening was work but it was also fun having all the cousins and family out helping- made the work go by faster. The only "crop" I HATED doing was chickens- 100 one weekend and another 100 the following weekend. So thankful a few of the older ladies at church loved to come out and help with all of the crops. I still can't stand the smell of raw chicken(or touching it).
    The only year I haven't had a garden(of my own or helped with, like at home) was the year I got married to hubby #1- married in June and moved to Mobile that weekend- did not have a garden that year but we got transferred back out here that Dec. and he made me little planters in the spring. He just text me with pictures of his tomato crop. I need to go out and pick some of mine now- Nothing better than home grown ones(already picked and ate a cucumber as part of my lunch-eat them before even getting into the house)

Debbie
    Napa Valley, Ca