WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: So happy to know your DH is all right with riding on a 2 wheeler bike. That is great news for a couple who have loved cycling for so long. Shorter distances fit with his health challenges. Perhaps you can ride shorter distances more often, and hopefully he will gradually gain stamina for longer rides. An 8 KM ride and a 12 KM ride sound like excellent rides that may lead to more to come. Congratulations on progess!!! :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

He was very anxious to get back on the bicycle right from when he emerged from post traumatic amnesia. We finally did go for a very short (about 2 km, I think) ride in August 2018, about 5 months after his accident. And we've been riding fairly regularly since then.

If the weather is bad, we'll ride inside and if the weather is good, we'll ride outside.

The main thing that stops us or slows us down is his fatigue ... and my fatigue.

That was one of the things I LOVED about the shutdown. We could go for a bicycle ride in the early afternoon while both of us were feeling fresh and the sun was out. :):) And we built up to 20-25 km during that time. (Then we both had surgeries.)

Normally, after a long day at work and with the prospect of homework all evening, I don't have much energy or enthusiasm for doing something active. And he's best in the morning and loses energy throughout the day. So most of our cycling has been done on weekends, which isn't ideal. That's one of the many reasons I would like to go to 4 days a week ... so we can get out for a ride 3 days a week! I'm also looking forward to finishing my degree so I don't have homework into late night. If I could go to bed before midnight, I might have more energy!

It's winter right now, so we aren't even going for short strolls after work ... too dark. But in the summer, we try to do that at least.

In the first summer after his accident, we were building up our cycling a bit and then I was able to take a good 16 or 17 days off over Christmas ... by the end of it, we were able to do one 40 km ride. The next summer (last summer), we did something similar and were able to do one 50 km ride. So I'm hopeful for this coming summer too. We'll see. :):)

But that is just a small fraction of the riding we were doing just before his accident.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - I have learned very quickly in the last year that most “children” rarely think of the parent and only think about what they believe to be the best. My Mom is in a nursing home but we still ask her opinion on anything concerning her. We may not do it, but we listen and weigh her opinions.

What part of Canada will you come back to?

Tracey in Edmonton

Likely BC ... maybe Vancouver Island, maybe lower mainland, possibly even inland a bit.

Most of my family is in various parts of BC now.

M in Oz

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: I hope you like the new dentist. :star:

Rebecca: Happy birthday to your eldest! :bigsmile:

Machka: We’ve visited BC several times on our various boats. We love it there. DH’s health no longer allows that sort of adventure and we both miss it. It will be fun to see you enjoying yourselves there.

I’m ready for rest. Be well.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Katla and the other knitters I want to start knitting dishcloths. I am not a knitter but I have have 3 dishcloths that were made for me by a client and I love them. What equipment do I need? Are there particular yarns & patterns that make for sturdier, more useful dishcloths? Plus I want them to be pretty. This one is crocheted, I realize, but I love the colors and gingham look, so maybe I would like to crochet…I just don’t know! because I don’t know how to do either:

d9nf07co0xs8.png

• Machka9
    edited August 2020
    Options
    A small town in northern Tasmania has a Winter Chocolate Festival each August.

This year, they weren't able to hold the festival, of course, but they have had some socially distanced events. In one, people made displays using chocolate. I like the shoes and they were the Judge's Choice! They are made of chocolate! Or perhaps coated in chocolate ... it's hard to tell!

i8r3cmklvo8m.png

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,066 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all. Just a brief visit before I head out to have my hairdo.

Faye:
    Length is pre-covid. It's muchnlonger now. My hair grows quite quickly. Hairdressers here opened at the end of June, but I held off until I saw how things were progressing. My hairdresser is an ex pupil from my early teaching days.

Karen &Katla:
    Definitely need cotton for dishclothes. I have done a few in my day. I knit out from a magic loop in a square format and incorporate a hanging loop in one of the outer corners. Also corner to corner using a different colour for each row can look quite jolly.

Positive vibes to all.

☘️ Terri

#soon2belessshaggy
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Internet back. Phew! :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    Grumble! Was writing, had to move, and poof gone! Sometimes using my phone for this is frustrating! Will retry on my laptop in a few!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Still soooooo hot! It's around 90° at 11 am. I had to go out as we were out of bread and fruit. I picked up salad stuff as well. It's just around the corner, but it was a walk through a furnace.
    I'm doing a veg and feta omelette for dinner. With grains and tomato salad. Arugula. I'm done with cooking. I did buy some cilantro, which is rare for us. I might put a little in the omelette and serve the rest separately. D H says he likes it, but not too much of it. I know it is a controversial herb and I would never serve it to a guest without checking. I love it, it reminds me of Mexico, but not something for every day.
    One good thing is that, because the blind man is coming this afternoon, I actually put something decent on! I'm wearing the top I bought in Norway on one of our cruises. I rarely wear it, so I'm pleased to give it an outing. I will put some face on when I've cooled off. No need for makeup with mask and huge sunglasses for local shopping. Anyway, I count local shops as my own back yard, so I don't have to smarten up. They see me in all states. :o If I'm going further afield I like the confidence that a face and clothes give me. Round here I'm in désabille.

Gosh, what panic when the Internet went out. I think it was the provider, not us, but we restarted it anyway, on the grounds that it cures most things. :D My life is spent on my tablet, especially this weather!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im up and having some watee and watching the local news.i hate the national news...
    Have to feed Alfie and hop in the shower and go get Homer..will pick up my granddaughter after my dental appointment.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BB&B, cancelled boarding reservation at vet, invested an hour decluttering desktop (more to go), Library.
    Bonus: hike with Tracie, text estimate.
    Get to do: rx, clean something, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); transplant bean, make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments. Tuesday Line Dance class, board meeting prep, Wednesday T’ai Chi, pack, pooches to petsitter, board meeting
    Altruistic August
    10: contact a friend to let them know you’re thinking of them: call Carolyn or Patty
    11: be thankful for food and those who made it possible: remember to say grace

Lisa woot, WOOT! I cannot find household ammonia anywhere either. A friend of a friend said it’s been banned but google hasn’t enlightened me, except that it is no longer available in Australia. Hmm.
    Kylia hopeful prayers for your niece and grand nephew.
    Karen, glad you’re not sad. :heart: Hope you enjoy your new adventures as much as I’ve enjoyed retirement. :love: the dishcloth hope someone has a pattern.
    SuziQ I was surprised too, but not sure it was a flood insurance credit but a water damage, like from burst pipes or leaking water heaters. At 600 ft above sea level back in the woods we’re not in a flood zone either. “Well, you do not have children” sounds pretty snarky to me :devil: Suffering basil and outdoor orchid envy. Love the onion poster, but like sweet onion sandwiches too.
    Allie it sounds more and more to me like Faith needs more care than her family can provide, even with your good help.
    German hillbilly in MO con VERY gratulations on saying good by to those 10 lbs. Knitting socks when it’s hot and humid (Missouri in August, no kidding!) is truly a labor of love.
    Welcome @ixchelkeshet , @dsgoingtodoit Donna from N.TX !
    Faye since they changed the meaning of “woo”, before removing it entirely, I don’t use the link/buttons under each post. Your post to yourself made me chuckle :laugh:
    Annie what could possibly go wrong indeed. Hope your father sees reason and stays grounded!
    Debbie I’d never heard of Japanese hull less popcorn. If we got more sun, I’d give it a try as I just :love: popcorn! Those butterfly pins are lovely.
    Heather glad you can use the fan in your top floor. Light and heat, Joe likes it between 68-72F I love it 72-80 and can tolerate up to 90 as long as it’s dry. I need every speck of light and more, but the glare hurts Joe’s eyes. Hoping his glaucoma and cataract surgery will ease that discomfort.
    Beth I suspect you are right ;) Beth if I’d had the experiences you’ve had, when the 8 novocaine shots didn’t deaden the tooth I’d call a halt and ask for a referral to an oral surgeon who could put me out to do any needed work. You are one brave gal!
    Rebecca beautiful cake, lucky number one son!
    Tracey sorry your boss is so insecure that she makes trouble when a vendor mistakenly refers to you with “her” title. Hoping you can find ways to calmly survive the coming storm. She sounds like she’s on the verge of a meltdown.

Finally yawning, time to zzzzzzzzzzz . . .
    Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: steps>5491=7261 vits=11 log=10 CI<CO=8 CI<250<CO=6 Tumble & Shadow 5=6 mfp=10 outside=5 up hill=4
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=4 rx=1 dance=1 clean 30 mins=3-2/3
    mnthly: board mtg= grant=2 20for20=
    bonus: AF=6 play= sew=
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Heather- I remember the top; still looks fabulous on you!
    Faye- I really enjoy reading your posts! Your style is strong, energetic, and youthful!

I want to comment to so many of you, but this is all I have time/energy for. I feel like all of the life has been sucked out of me by the recent COVID requirements and the hub-bub with school aged kids (do they attend in person, or virtual school AND where do they do their school work). I just came off vacation, but just feel like I got no rest (or maybe not enough).
    Hugs to all who need them! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Lisa woot, WOOT! I cannot find household ammonia anywhere either. A friend of a friend said it’s been banned but google hasn’t enlightened me, except that it is no longer available in Australia. Hmm.

Seems to be available at Bunnings:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/long-life-1l-cloudy-ammonia_p4460494

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    In Search of that Classy Sassy Classic
    The Eccentric Behavior of an old Fitness Junkie

Faye rebelled!

The morning air wasn't as cool as the previous morning. It was still refreshing and seemed to equal her house temperature, a cool 66 degrees. Living alone was great she consoled herself after reflecting on tales of spousal battles over house temperature as couples aged.

She was her own boss. Since the decision to workout was hers and hers only, she decided not. No valid reason although she conjured up a lame and pitiful excuse about broken sleep and a mild headache. "Oh yes," she thought, "Bad dreams."

Faye caved.

Donning one the last of four custom sports bikinis, she shagged her old flesh-covered skeleton out on the patio. She moved with slow smooth confidence with her version of basic Tai Chi. She envisioned a hearing-impaired man, a hunk hungry for her body, moving toward her, deaf to her repetitious no. He approached arms out with the intent to grab her. Faye, after slow mesmerizing arm moves suddenly with hand palm forward, smashed his nose. She centered and then moving to the opposite side disabled another man with bad intent. She repeated these moves until she was satisfied she was indeed a warrior woman, a warrioress although Webster was delinquent including such a word his famous word book. That would be enough for this early morning's faintly moonlit patio workout.

Faye felt guilty.

Dropping down on all four she did her leg scissor ab building moves. Fifty of those babies to be exact. Faye's abs were her pride and joy. In this phase of life where her school girl titties, once perk had taken a gravitational move down and to the side, keeping her abs flat and solid was paramount. Her fears of having her abs cut for cancer surgery and losing her definition had been silenced after a year of abdominal focused exercises ... post-surgery. Scared with a mutilated navel they were, but flat and hard. Faye did 10 more totaling 60. No good reason, just because.

Faye felt empowered.

Assuming a side position she did 20 of her Yoga-inspired tunnel stretches. With foot backward, wrist and arm extended toward the moon twisted, she released all her tunnels, tarsal, cubital, and carpal. She repeated this one on each side for 20 invigorating repetitions. Then a car pulls up alongside her fence. A spotlight comes on. Faye springs to her feet and waves. She was pleased to live in an area where the police patrol regularly and recognize suspicious happenings. Faye had started her bikini patio workout 30 minutes early. 0230 hours was unusual and the officer was quick to observe a person on her patio since she had turned out the house lights. Faye was known to always leave one on as a signal she was up. The spotlight went off and a quick red-blue flash of the lights and the car pulled out and left. That was officer Maggie signaling, "you go girl." Officer Ron had retired and she missed the extra spotlight time he allowed her just checking to be sure she was all right, however mentoring a young lady in early morning bikini patio fitness, was also rewarding.

Faye sashays.

With the teapot heating water for her coffee-chocolate drink, her poor girls mocha, Faye stood back 3 feet from her granite countertop, fell forward, and did 20 pushups. Semi pushups of a sissy kind, but pushups none the less. Faye may perform this kitchen fitness move several times a day. As she breathes deeply, she envisions her mere school girl titties becoming real grown-*kitten* woman breast. Mentally she gains two cups sizes and amazing perk. Standing erect with abs sucked in, Faye aligns herself with floorboards and does her slow walk swinging hips side to side with extreme exaggeration. "Watch and learn Tyra Banks," she snaps. After several sashays, she stops and stands and does 50 high leg lifts with some hip action.

Pleased with herself for completing her workout, she pecks the worn keys of her old laptop ... topless. A feeling of unease overcomes her as she has flashes of her computer being bugged and some old pervert checking her out and taking a screenshot.

Faye dons a tee shirt.

Faye loving the breaking dawn light
    over the Columbia River where the
    lush vegetation fades into the desert
    zdr3k630e2y8.jpgejaf9a5rjnni.jpg