WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Gnawing at the bit waiting for the September thread. I always love a new start. Lord knows I embarrass myself enough I need it.
  • Faetta
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Allie - While I agree with what the others have stated I know a change of scenery does not change us. Those changes we must make for ourselves. If we pick up and leave without resolving our own issues/areas in need of improvement, we only take that baggage along with us.

I learned this when I relocated from NJ to FL. My family was very co-dependent and as a result I was too. It took awhile for me to realize the needed change was within myself. The distance was of some assistance because we did not see each other for long periods of time, but I found I was ending the same situations just in a different place. Until I looked inside and dealt with those issues I was stuck. Once I started reading about co-dependency and understood why I reacted in certain ways that is when real change occurred. Do I slip, yes I do, but I recognize things much quicker than I had in the past.

Sending positive thoughts to you.

Yes, spot on SuzieQ. My experience also. Moving can be like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic or patching the leak. Patch the leak. then rearrange the deck chairs.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Ah! Rebecca, I missed her - that first photo of Athena is so awesome, it makes me smile... and if there's anything more lovely than a sleeping baby, I haven't found it yet.
  • Faetta
    Options
    Well I dont know what to tell you all, both my brother and mother were alcoholic.. mom has been gone 21 yrs and Sean has been sober 4 yrs but they are truly living a dysfunctional life and because i take care of Jeans mom,im sort of stuck in it..
    I haven't taken my antidepressants in months and I just sort of shut myself off from everyone and everything..
    But I dont feel off kilter or anything... who knows ,with the pandemic,my crazy family,leaving a stressful job... it could be subconscious...

Yes, it might be your subconscious! Have you tried clinical meditation/hypnosis?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Thank you kind friends. Now I sit and wait to talk to someone about one of his accounts related to his disability. I put it on speaker phone because it took me three days just to get this number from a live person. Finally got someone and they told me who to talk to. I just called that person and they are going to look into it to find out what to do.

Again reminder as you are setting up an estate. Include info phone numbers and contact people of what to do to close up accounts.

He did not have much of an estate. This is will hopefully be the hardest one and once it is done I am going to something special for myself. I am going to have other son be our rep and I will go over with him, what needs to be done.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Tracey: :bigsmile:

Allie: I think you’ve made a good choice for your home. I’m sorry you have lost a dear friend. :cry: Your weight has gone up and you are the one who must make changes. The system here at MFP has been a huge help to my life. The elements that have been the biggest help for me are using measurers to portion out food, counting calories, deliberately exercising, and encouragement from all the ladies here. You take care of others very well. Now it is time to take care of Allie as the first priority. :heart:

Michele: Did you order sourdough starter from Bob’s Red Mill? Did it arrive? :huh:

Rebecca: Your granddaughter is a cutie patootie. :bigsmile:

Barbara: I have read vampire novels in the past, but don’t remember the author’s name. The ones I’ve read more recently are written by Lyndsay Sands. The underlying premise is that vampires were survivors of Atlantis who drink blood to survive. There are bad guy vampires & and good guys. Their scientists created nanos to keep them in perfect health. The nano’s require fresh blood to do their work. They did prey on people in the distant past but have created their own blood bank and no longer go around killing since they learned how to use banked blood. This series is set primarily in Canada. The bad guys in the series prey on humans. :star:

(((Margaret & Terri))): I always wanted a sibling. Thanks to hearing about yours, I’m counting my blessings. :ohwell:

Heather: Your son is a fit man. I can’t see his face, but since I’ve seen yours. I’ll bet he is also handsome. :star:

I had a special treat last night. It was my grandson's 6th birthday and at the end of the day I got to have a facetime call with him. The other kids were in bed, so it was my daughter, Barrett & me. Bliss! :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Ladies who drink coffee: Has anyone tried an AeroPress? I saw it discussed on a FB group I frequent, and I see Amazon reviewers give it high ratings.

Looks simpler than a French Press and less wasteful than a Keurig, and I like the idea of 1 cup at a time. I always water it down anyhow.

Lanette B)
    Foggy & Cool SW WA State

We have Aeropress and it's great. It makes a great cup of coffee and is easy to use and clean. It's probably my favorite way to have coffee.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    ADORABLE....

Levi...Athena....LilyBell...Miguel... Joaquin

bfcu7d1szozl.png
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Barbara - "Puck Lights" are little round lights that can go under cupboards or on the bottom of a shelf. They look like pot lights but are not recessed into anything.

Terri - Having zero expectations sure makes a difference doesn't it. My brother and I talk every 2-3 months usually because I call him. I get a FB birthday greeting and that's about it. I gave up about 4 years ago sending cards to people as I got tired of not even receiving and acknowledgement that they were received. Since we moved to Alberta it has been 100% our responsibility to make calls, plan trips, send gifts etc with everyone but my parents and my best friend. Once Dad passed and Mom went into the nursing home we have very few calls. I love all of my family but have had to lower my expectations.

Margaret - My heart just breaks for you. Everyone thinks that they know what someone else is going through and by telling their stories they think it helps you. At times like these silence is golden.

Kelly - How adorable are they?!

Allie - Jean sounds like she is mentally abusive towards you. Can you find other employment so you don't have to put up with her regularly? I hate how she manipulates you and your brother. Your brother allows it to continue and it's OK if he chooses to do so, but he obviously doesn't stick up for you and takes things out on you too, you need to stick up for yourself. They won't change.
    Maybe you need to look at anti-depressants again. I have been on them twice and they helped me tremendously. My son in law's Mom is a professor of psychology when I was hesitant about using anti depressants she told me that it is just a chemical imbalance in the brain. She herself has been on the lowest dose possible for 30+ years, every time she tries to stop it comes back so she just continues them.

Faye - I'm sure that it was an error hitting that disagree button. I hit it myself a few times when scrolling on my phone.

Carol - I am finding my motivation lacking with meals as well. Yesterday I had a plan all day for supper that would have been relatively healthy, but in the afternoon about the time I would have started making supper I decided to go for fast food. I want all the comfort food. I don't know why. I am not in the same position as a lot of you. I have been able to see my girls and grandchildren. I have continued to work. I am just struggling. I think a major part of my problem is the two miserable Summers we have had here and it's calling for a tough Winter according to the Farmer's Almanac which is usually pretty accurate.

Katla - what a special treat to have just one to Facetime with.

My coworker is off today, she visited her Granddaughter Thursday evening and Friday her Granddaughter developed a fever. They have both gone for Covid tests on Saturday. She has to wait until both come back negative before returning to work.

We are allowed to visit and have cohorts here up to 15 people inside and 50 outside, but I fear with school starting that will change again.

I should get to work, I have spent most of my morning on here updating.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    MARGARET:
    So sorry to hear about your credit card getting hacked. We have had two scamming attempt calls within the last two weeks. Folks out there thinking we will give them information that we would never give over the phone. Wonder if they are aiming these scams at us older folks thinking we know no better.

COFFEE:
    When we were first married, we had a Corning Ware contraption that had a top and bottom. You poured boiling water into the top and it dripped down into the bottom container. Now, we just rely on our drip pot because we drink a lot of coffee. My biggest problem is that I love for my coffee to be very hot and I have to keep reheating it in the microwave. I tried a thermos cup, but, it still didn't work.

Carol in GA

Yes, they do target folks they think don't know better, whether it's older folks or the young.

Coffee: Try the Ember cup. I rarely sit and drink my coffee and I was forever reheating it. The ember has a rechargeable battery and heat plate integrated into it. It keeps my coffee to the temp I set for about 1.5 hours. Of course there is an app, but once you connect it and set your temperature, you don't have to bother again.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Allie,

An eye-opening book for me was "Perfect Daughters". It deals with adult children of alcoholics. It's amazing how many areas of the book applied to me and set me on a healthier course.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Kirby took a pic of me and yogi during our walk home
    1j3ww1xqxpr5.jpeg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :)
    A very wise person wrote "To conclude that others were wrong is about as far as most of us ever got"....then the passage goes on to say "setting aside the wrongs others have done" we looked for our own part. Moving to a new town won't solve a family problem, because you take yourself with you.

<3 Barbie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    SuzieQ- thanks ill look into it,and yes im thinking of going back on the antidepressants..
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    I had a cell phone lesson with my parents. Mom has a Dr appointment tomorrow and she was told to call from the car. A big challenge for her! She got flustered and wrote down her own number instead of the call-in number. I called back for the number and got told she could just walk in. Such a nuisance, but I really don't want her sitting in a waiting room.

Annie in Delaware