WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    The early morning air indicates another nice fall day in the making. Up an hour earlier than usual due to barking dogs. I love the buttery soft feel of my new bamboo fabric sleep/lounge shorts so much I am spending several hours in them paired with my new light sports bralette. I may have to rename them because I am doing all my morning chores in them and that isn't lounging!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka clutter bug type mismatch likewise here, Joe likes a visually simple and clear environment, I tend to pile stuff until I can do “something” with it. In the quiz there were a few options I’d have chosen if offered: 5:My house is a mess most of the time! 5:If I heard friends were coming in 20 minutes I’d tell them I’d meet them at the coffee shop. ;) Brava for paring down your list of commitments!
    Barbara

https://clutterbug.me/what-clutterbug-are-you-test

I think I would be a Cricket ... but since each time I get close to the perfect system, I move or start university or something, and don't have the time. So I resort to being a Ladybug.

You’re A Cricket!
    Love visual simplicity and organizational abundance. You prefer your everyday items out of sight, but you are a bit of a perfectionist and a very detail oriented person.

Once an organizing system is in place, the Cricket will have no problem following it…it’s just a matter of finding the time to setup the right system! Crickets are often quite organized and maybe even a bit over organized. Sometimes perfection can be paralyzing! Crickets like very detailed and logical organizing systems which can sometimes take too much time to setup or too much work to use them properly.

You’re A Ladybug!
    Love visual simplicity and organizational simplicity. You prefer to have all your items hidden out-of-sight. You also need fast and easy solutions, like bins and baskets without lids.

If guests were to come over, all I really need to do is shut the door to the office, close a couple drawers and slap lids on some boxes.

My husband, on the other hand, would have a bit more to do. :)

Meanwhile, I'm trying to unsubscribe from a couple organisations.

When my husband had his accident and later, when he had his first seizure, I reached out to organisations for help ... because that's what "they" tell you to do! These organisations exist to help people!

However ... <a small rant follows>
    One organisation was the local carer's organisation. This organisation emails about once a week, sometimes more often, with a list of things their members can do -- meetings, get-togethers, events, etc.. It's mostly about getting away from the person you are the carer for.

Maybe that's necessary for some ...... I've been to one meeting with them that was supposed to be "How to talk to medical people" which just ended up being carers sitting around the table complaining about how awful the people they care about are! ...... But I don't need to get away from my husband ... right now, I have work for that. I also discovered that we can be together in the same house for 4 months, without leaving the house for weeks at a time, and be OK.

Plus, most of their events and things happen during working hours or other odd times. I can attend a play about being a carer (like I don't live it?) at 2 pm on a Monday at an inconvenient location ........ but I can't get help with home office organisation or putting together a medical reference folder. I can go on a 3-hour sail on one of the local historic boats on a weekend ... but I can't get anyone to look in on my husband on a weekend!?!

Same with the local epilepsy organisation. When I was a First Aid officer, I asked about epilepsy posters. My husband had a seizure and I thought it would be good to have some seizure first aid info on hand at home and at work. Since then I've apparently become a "Workplace Friend" and I'm getting all sorts of emails wanting donations from me and my organisation, wanting me to volunteer for stuff, and wanting me to organise on-site meetings with my staff. They want me to do fundraising, and want me to put a fundraising link onto my workplace website ... and on and on.

So I "file" their emails and try to ignore these organisations. But it's a little bit annoying getting those emails all the time. You reach out for a little bit of help with something ... and spend the next few years deleting emails ... and feeling vaguely guilty, like maybe I should help out more ...

Disappointing.

Now, I'm thinking, if I want their help again, I'll go to their websites and look something up, but it's doubtful I'll contact them lest I end up on an email list again!

So ... I'm hoping I can indeed successfully unsubscribe and keep my inbox a little less cluttered. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    If you've been on Facebook at all, you've likely seen these memes.

What I want to know is ... where are these places and when can I go?

1oy8whj1xi7y.png

M in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    buzz buzz! I am a bee.
    BEE
    You love visual abundance along with organizational abundance (micro solutions). You prefer to see your everyday used items and you need really functional storage or you tend to pile items until you can put them away “properly”. Bees are very visual and tend to be perfectionists.
    Machka- I always find that meme kind of a no brainer. There are many things I would do for $100k. Going without internet and phone would be the easiest thing for me.
    KJ
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    My debit card got hacked! :s I am lucky that I check my bank balance every day and found out that someone had charged $50+ at a Walmart in Arizona. All I can figure out is that I used it at a Sam's Club on Monday for gas and groceries. Anyway, I immediately called and cancelled the card and will take it up with the credit union this morning. Hoping they will cancel the charge.

Carol in GA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,688 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Was awake at 3:45 this morning now im dragging butt lol...dropped Alfie at groomers and then went and got Homer,will take a ride to the bank and Walmart,then pick Alfie up and wait for the washer to be delivered..
    I dont know if I told you my dear friend Trudy found out her ex passed away he was only 52..not in great health.. her daughter found him... so she was up in Rochester N.Y . But is on her way home today..
    Wish there is more I can do but will be with Faith for the next 4 days.
    I know delivery people never come right on time and my window ia 11-3 so hopefully ill be back quick as a wink from Cromwell and getting Alfie and at least they call you when there 1/2 hr away..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    I've boiled the orange for Edie's cake. :D
    This morning I texted her in Spanish (she goes to a bilingual school) and accidentally wished her Happy Christmas. :o I was in a hurry. ;)

Popped out to get ground almonds for the cake. I already had some, but decided to buy fresh. Found some lovely fresh bagels for the birthday tea.
    Also went next door to the butcher, who delivered to us all through lockdown. I was the only person in there. Bought sausages, bacon, scotch eggs for Friday, calves liver for tomorrow and escalopes for the new freezer. :D

My Zoom has been put back until 4 pm, so I have time to row. :D
    I've decided not to go to French Circle tonight and sent them an email. We would have to get an expensive taxi both ways and the weather is chilly. I feel a bit guilty about it, as they are very sweet, but I just couldn't work up any enthusiasm. DH wasn't keen. Plus, I'm reluctant to pay the yearly subscription for the two of us, as who knows what will happen this year! We used to have wine and samples of cheese, but all that is cancelled and we would have to sit masked in a huge, almost empty hall. Not very appealing.

On with my rowing!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) The rains are coming so I'll be sure to wear a hat while walking the dogs.

:) Yesterday Jake picked the last of the cucumbers and pulled up the plant and I picked a few more zucchini and began pulling up the plants. Autumn is here. Jake got out his cordless leaf blower and cleaned up the leaves in the front yard.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Options
    ibejvrudoa7s.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,688 Member
    Options
    Bahaaaa so i fibbed the delivery people calledand will be at my place at 10
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Carol I had it happen to me twice and both times were Arizona charges. Yes, you can get your bank to remove them but it is a hassle. This is why I never use a debit anymore, just credit and pay it off every month. I have had to clean up fake charges on my credit, but it is easy and doesn't come out of your account. My credit card doesn't count any scam charges in my payoff if I contest them. Also, I make about $500 a year in rebates by using my credit and paying it off so no interest ever accumulates.
  • lcharpentier2
    lcharpentier2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Snow Flake
    You asked if grandson had plans for his blueberry money. He is putting it away for school. He did buy himself a good axe and a carving knife he like to widdle. The grandaughter is also saving for school.
    Always a rotten apple in the bunch spoils everything for every one else.

Rebecca
    is that a painting you did it is beautiful

For me all is well. The scale went up .4 this morning but blood sugar was at 6.1 so that part is good.
    Tops tonight and i'm anxious to go That only means one thing I've lost. Be back to share how much after tops this afternoon.

See you lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

I didn't check in yesterday, you were busy! Skipping around.

Getting ready here for heavy rain and big wind which may or may not come. Huge maple tree close to the house hasn't lost leaves yet so will be swaying about. Love that tree and how it shades the house in the afternoons so hoping it stays put. Think it will be OK. ;)

Barbara - the profile pic of the pup isn't Rosie but looks a lot like her. No way she'd keep a cup over her nose, lol. So glad to hear Joe's eye pressure doing well. You scored on the PBS channels you'll be able to get! A lot of them I now have to pay for started out free on Amazon prime as I recall. They know how to set the hook. :/

Re new star signs: I'm now a Leo! I used to dabble in astrology because I was curious and wondered if there was any correlation to it and the Meyers Briggs personality types. Just for giggles- didn't have much of a research pool so interest was brief. Most of my signs were in the 8th house as I recall.... death and money.

Michele - so glad to read you got some PJ time!!

Carol - Margaret - sorry you ladies got hacked! We received new Discover cards last week, I activated them (I thought) and started getting strange (to me) emails so called them. They said everything was OK, no worries. Got an email this morning that they needed to be activated?? Logged into the account, saw it was DH's so took care of that. Saw my old work phone number was still listed. Fixed that up and changed my password so should be OK.

I refused a debit card, and rarely even use a credit card other than for gas and online purchases. Other than that it's cash or check for as long as I can get away with it. One less thing to worry about, especially if something happens to me and DH is left to cope on his own. He'd have no clue how to contest fraudulent charges.

Rita - enjoy your new (to you) Subaru! My Forester is a 2007, only has 103,000 miles. It has been my utility vehicle, carrying dogs, plants, potting soil, you name it.

Faye - hope you're right about the virus mutating. If I was in charge of this, I'd test the Vitamin D levels of everyone who is catching it and exhibiting symptoms. According to some research I've run across, low D makes it worse.

Sheep - worms - virus:
    As an aside, I remembered when we had sheep, I'd generally get one or two ewes a year (generally older gals) who'd get a severe worm load with the presenting symptom diarrhea. I'd give the sick gals a shot of ivermectin and within 24 hours, all would be OK. I'd take random fecal samples of healthy animals to the vet for checks, and often these would come back negative or with very slight worm load= asymptomatic. Same food, same pastures, same water, same environment... why did only a few suffer symptoms? The old vet said this is common, pests find a host which isn't able to throw it off or keep it at a low level for some reason.

Sounds like most of the nasty bugs work in a similar fashion, this virus included. Keep taking your vitamins and eating your fruits and vegetables :)

I need to get some "flush water" drawn in case we lose power. So glad to see rain. Make a great day <3

Lanette B)

SW WA State where I'm getting ready to suit up for a short walk.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    Yyyy
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Sweet DH went out for his walk and came back with fish from the fish market. <3 Prawns, cod, smoked haddock and skate. It's all in my new freezer compartment on fast freeze. Happy us. :D

Ten minutes until my Zoom.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🙋
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,064 Member
    Options
    KJ: Also a bee 🐝

Relaxing after a lovely walk with DH. Then will make dinner.

☘️ Terri
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Zoom excellent. :D<3 So nice to still be friends after sooooo many years. I had thought at one time of giving up on my difficult friend, but I'm glad I didn't. Her son in law tested positive for coronavirus ten days ago and she was not at all impressed with the lack of effort to track and trace. He is a teacher. She is vulnerable and has a 92 year old mother, so everything was thrown into limbo. He had no symptoms and was tested as part of the random system.

My Scottish friend has been treating herself and husband to posh hotels and lunch on a lake, all very distanced. They are not allowed to meet anyone inside homes.

I just told them all about my sanding and fridge excitement. :p

Gwendolen is excited about her upcoming recorder group tutored weekend. Rule of six. They will be 5 plus tutor and will play outdoors.

And so we keep going and keep on keeping on. Making the best of difficult times. Two of them are separated from their children and grandchildren by thousands of miles.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Good decision, Machka! :D

I have always made it a tenet of my life to avoid any responsibility I could possibly wriggle out of. >:) No committees etc. This even goes as far as pets, cars and houseplants. The garden is semi wild. I take great care over the things that really matter to me and I'm super responsible. But I ration it. Energy is precious, especially mental energy.

I've put most things back in the fridge. Just a few pots of semi preserve things to go.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I'm with you on the responsibilities at this point. I don't even want to own a house anymore. There is always something that needs to be fixed or attended to. I no longer have a car and I have 2 very sad houseplants and one that just seems to thrive on neglect.

Tina in CA where the days are hot and evenings are very pleasant.