October 2020 Monthly Running Challange

Options

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart I have not been at my place of employment for 20 years, but nothing here is challenging.

Everyone is looking for a new job, myself included. They've all gone mad. I mean, truly, truly mad. They were looking at a coworker's facebook page and screenshotted her post and told her to get off facebook on company time.

The post was from Saturday, when she was nowhere near on company time.

I'm tired. I don't like games. I don't like office politics.

This was my favorite job I've ever had before it got crazy.

She just told me she just applied for four jobs at a relative's company so it looks like I'll be doing her job too for a while.

Yay.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    @rebeccahetrick @sfinney0825 Couch to 5k was the ideal way for me to start, you can blitz through it in 9 weeks if you are strong enough however most people end up re-doing weeks as it is tougher than you think. Does anyone else remember when they went from running for 8 minutes non-stop to 12 minutes and I was like "you wanna do what? are you bonkers?"

This had me laughing because I had that exact thought at that point! I also remember when you do the first 20 minute run with no walking breaks I was shocked!! I could not believe they actually expected me to do that. Then you do it, and you're amazed that you can even make it that far.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    @rebeccahetrick @sfinney0825 Couch to 5k was the ideal way for me to start, you can blitz through it in 9 weeks if you are strong enough however most people end up re-doing weeks as it is tougher than you think. Does anyone else remember when they went from running for 8 minutes non-stop to 12 minutes and I was like "you wanna do what? are you bonkers?"

This had me laughing because I had that exact thought at that point! I also remember when you do the first 20 minute run with no walking breaks I was shocked!! I could not believe they actually expected me to do that. Then you do it, and you're amazed that you can even make it that far.

I was so nervous about doing that first 20 minute run. And I felt so empowered when I completed it.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    since @TheMrWobbly brought it up and I'm still fairly new to running compared to you seasoned folks, can we talk shoes for a minute? I know I should invest in a good pair of running shoes (I just have a pair of Nikes now, but they are getting old). What should I keep in mind? what do I look for? I've always just gone with nike runners (the ones that were usually on sale), so any feedback or things I should keep in mind would be great!

Gait analysis can be really helpful. If for nothing else, you can try on a bunch of shoes and run on the treadmill for a minute or two to see how they feel. I discovered my affinity for Brooks through this process and haven't looked back!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,968 Member
    Options
    @kristinajeang One of the things that helped me mentally was when the plan would call for something like run 10 min/walk 1 time 3 and then tell me to run 15 minutes straight. I would think, no way, but then would remind myself that I had already run basically 30 minutes with only a 2 minute break, so surely I could do 15 minutes. It worked. Also, the plan I used had a lot of cut back days, so I wasn't pushing myself further every run. That really helped me too. As for shoes, if possible, get fit by a professional at a running store. That's my 2 cents, for what it is worth. LOL

@durhammfp Hope your foot is okay.

@kgirlhart Great 10K pace! Love the runs where you feel like you can run forever! The weather does help. Sounds like you do have the job, but I would be unsettled too, until it was in writing. Fingers crossed that that happens soon.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Lots of wise advice here on starting out and couch to 5K so I won’t repeat any of it. Totally agree too with @Scott6255 on how much of running is a mental rather than physical challenge. I still have to remind myself on some runs that the body can usually do more than the brain says it can!

Lovely weather for my 10K run this morning. Half dark, half lovely sunrise, fresh and cold without being too cold. And - most importantly given the last week - dry!!

Have my fingers crossed for good news on the job front @kgirlhart and hope you can also find a more positive and supportive work environment @Camaramandy648

@TheMrWobbly - you are smashing it! Great news on the PRs and all those clothes that no longer fit. Thanks for the offer on the medal! Could work well by the sounds of it.

October goal - 80m
    October total - 12.4m

5/10: 6.2m
    7/10: 6.2m

Jan - Sep: 625.4 miles
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Shoes.
    Your best bet is to go to a running store and have a gait analysis done. They will recommend shoes for you. And a lot will allow you to return within X days if they don't work. My first fitted pair I had to return. They insisted I needed to go up a whole size & just adjust lacing. It didn't work for me. I can only go up half a size. Once you've been fitted and know what you like you can find other shoes that work for you/you like but for new runners I highly recommend getting fit.

Injuries.
    I'm working on next week's podcast & it's on injuries. Since we've been discussing it, please let me know what you would want to hear in a podcast on injuries. Or let me know if I can anonymously share your story. I have a few that have shared with me already but it never hurts to have more stories. Or you can share what helped you get through not just medical). If you don't want to share in the thread contact me directly (see spoiler).
    My email is jenna@runsonespresso.com or you can DM me on Instagram at runs_on_espresso. I know MFP doesn't like sharing personal info but my *kitten* is all over the internet already.

You are welcome to share mine, though I'm still in progress lol.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    Given the turn in the weather I have joined a leisure centre for the next 3 months and it has a pool so I can add a bit more variety.

Good news @Avidkeo and here's hoping for the next run.

I will PM you on the medals @Camaramandy648

All of this is positive news @kgirlhart and having been through the final selection process on a few jobs recently I would definitely swap with you. Keep smiling, you have earned this reward!

That 20 minutes running was a massive joyous feeling @martaindale though it was nowhere near 5k! I do remember one of the stages, possibly 15 minutes continuous where I decided at 14 minutes I just had nothing left and had to walk - instantly regretted it as I knew I had to do the 15 minutes again for the sake of 60 seconds.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @martaindale I too remember that 20 min run at the end if week 5 vividly! So nervous leading up to it, so proud to have completed it! Interesting most people drop off c25k at week 7, and even I've never gone beyond week 7 when doing the plan (did it several times lol). Though I guess that since Ive done a couple of HM since then I guess I can say I have gone beyond week 7? 😉
  • quilteryoyo
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @martaindale That sounds like a great get away. Enjoy!

@kristinajeang You are doing GREAT! Keep it up!
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Um yeah so calf felt better yesterday after a stationary bike ride and a good foam roll. It's still niggly, but more tight niggly than anything and still the same sore for a couple of steps but eases. Tomorrow will be the tell, I do my longest run/walk in 10 weeks. I'm still really anxious, and will be for a few weeks, though mentally I'm ready if it's going to take another 3 months. If that's the case, fine. I mean what's 6 months out of a year lol!
    Especially 2020! LOL

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Yay @kgirlhart! Congrats on the new job!!!! And being a 3 minute drive, you could run (jog) to work :D
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @martaindale That sounds like a great get away. Enjoy!

@kristinajeang You are doing GREAT! Keep it up!
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Um yeah so calf felt better yesterday after a stationary bike ride and a good foam roll. It's still niggly, but more tight niggly than anything and still the same sore for a couple of steps but eases. Tomorrow will be the tell, I do my longest run/walk in 10 weeks. I'm still really anxious, and will be for a few weeks, though mentally I'm ready if it's going to take another 3 months. If that's the case, fine. I mean what's 6 months out of a year lol!
    Especially 2020! LOL

Seriously. Worst year ever. 0 stars
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @kgirlhart Yeah for the new job and being so close to home! That should save you some time in the mornings to use for yoga/stretching.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    10/01/20 :::: 2.1 :::: 2.1
    10/02/20 :::: 1.8 :::: 3.9
    10/03/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 8.9
    10/04/20 :::: 3.6 :::: 12.4
    10/05/20 :::: 1.9 :::: 14.3
    10/06/20 :::: 1.5 :::: 15.9

I had a late meeting at work and was wiped out when I got home with only 15 minutes to spare before run group. So I decided I wasn't up for that and took Stella out for another short run. We had a rain storm earlier today and it was cool and very windy out. Stella stopped at every pile of leaves along the way, which is a lot.