Coronavirus prep

Replies

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited October 2020
    Debating if we will hand out treats or not. Our gs birthday (he lives out of state) is end of Oct. so we are usually there and don't need to worry about it. I am inclined this year to turning off the lights & head downstairs to watch tv, lol. We had to do that the first year we lived here & grossly underestimated how much candy we would need, so we ran out pretty fast.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    In my neighborhood, the parents usually drive the kids door to door at Halloween. Only a few walk the 50 feet or so between houses. (They also drive them 50 yards from the bus stop after school.) The last few years, there have been few kids going door to door because there were a lot of alternate "trunk or treat" events in town at churches and schools. Those would be much more crowded than going door to door - hundreds of people in one place over the two hours or so that they last - so this year may be different. OTOH, not many people in my area take Covid seriously, based on the number I see without masks or with masks worn badly.

Wow. So, there's a conga line of cars up and down the street?

Also, anyone remember Wall-E?

That's what I was picturing too. But what a giant hassle getting in and out of the car a million times. Buzz kill. Part of the fun for me was parading around on foot through the neighborhood after dark. It was festive and fun. Driving the route seems totally un-fun. But I guess if that's all you've ever known, that's fun for you...

Yeah, I enjoyed walking the neighborhood with my kids. That was part of the fun.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Italy's COVID numbers are up, so we're going into "following the rules". Masks are required everywhere even on the street (unless exercising in an open space, under 6 yrs old, or have a medical certificate that one cannot wear a mask). Anyone caught non complying will be fined $400-1000. My son said he saw police out and about checking. Things are not critical yet, but looking at countries around us COVID is cruisin' thru. Schools are still open. Will keep everyone posted. Stay safe.

If this for all of Italy? Hubby still has some distant relatives there.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Italy's COVID numbers are up, so we're going into "following the rules". Masks are required everywhere even on the street (unless exercising in an open space, under 6 yrs old, or have a medical certificate that one cannot wear a mask). Anyone caught non complying will be fined $400-1000. My son said he saw police out and about checking. Things are not critical yet, but looking at countries around us COVID is cruisin' thru. Schools are still open. Will keep everyone posted. Stay safe.

Yep--all of Italy.
  • SModa61

Yep--all of Italy.

Thank you. I'll share that with my husband and MIL in case they did not know.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    Don't know what Halloween will bring. I will be celebrating as it is Samhain and thus a "religious" holiday for me. Some depends on the weather honestly, but I will most likely be doing my own thing. Which is sad. I was hoping to find a group celebration that weekend but oh well. I may also buy at least a bag of candy in case the neighbor kids don't have any other options. They don't normally go door to door here in the apartment complex, but with larger get togethers most likely canceled, it may happen more. We will see.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    In my neighborhood, the parents usually drive the kids door to door at Halloween. Only a few walk the 50 feet or so between houses. (They also drive them 50 yards from the bus stop after school.) The last few years, there have been few kids going door to door because there were a lot of alternate "trunk or treat" events in town at churches and schools. Those would be much more crowded than going door to door - hundreds of people in one place over the two hours or so that they last - so this year may be different. OTOH, not many people in my area take Covid seriously, based on the number I see without masks or with masks worn badly.

That's what I was picturing too. But what a giant hassle getting in and out of the car a million times. Buzz kill. Part of the fun for me was parading around on foot through the neighborhood after dark. It was festive and fun. Driving the route seems totally un-fun. But I guess if that's all you've ever known, that's fun for you...

Yeah, I enjoyed walking the neighborhood with my kids. That was part of the fun.

Yeah, I didn't know car trick or treating was a thing.
  • snowflake954

Yep--all of Italy.

Oh, I'm sure everyone in Italy knows. The Prime Minister was on TV with the announcement. Couldn't miss it -- all channels all day.
  • snowflake954
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

When I was a kid out in the country, it was the only way you could do it. My Mom piled all 6 of us into the car and took us around to the neighboring farms.
  • SModa61

Yep--all of Italy.

Oh, I'm sure everyone in Italy knows. The Prime Minister was on TV with the announcement. Couldn't miss it -- all channels all day.

My husband and MIL are here in the states. I thought they should know as my MIL worries about her family that is still there and all that they have gone through during the pandemic.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member

When I was a kid out in the country, it was the only way you could do it. My Mom piled all 6 of us into the car and took us around to the neighboring farms.

Greetings Snowflake! My husband was in charge of taking dd trick or treating (MN country too) Remember Halloween blizzard 1991? Yep, he took her out in that too.
  • snowflake954

Greetings Snowflake! My husband was in charge of taking dd trick or treating (MN country too) Remember Halloween blizzard 1991? Yep, he took her out in that too.

I was in Italy in 1991--so I missed all the fun. I moved here in 1986. Minnesotens are tough--they go out in all kinds of weather. My mother was a night nurse and drove 20 min to the New Prague hospital at 11:00 at night for years in blizzards too.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member

I was in Italy in 1991--so I missed all the fun. I moved here in 1986. Minnesotens are tough--they go out in all kinds of weather. My mother was a night nurse and drove 20 min to the New Prague hospital at 11:00 at night for years in blizzards too.

Hope your mom, you, and family are doing well! I had a 35 mile one way commute one way to work mostly country roads. Retired now and don’t miss those days, so I can relate. The deer are thankful I’m off the road. It’s pretty close to peak colors here, and glorious weather. Farmers are harvesting.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Yeah, makes total sense, of course, in that people do live out in the country or in areas with huge lots -- I guess I would have assumed it was like when I lived in a part of Chicago that was less trick or treat friendly, since it had mostly multi-unit properties and often no one home during the time of the evening when it took place. There kids mostly did special events (a party, a trick or trick event along the shopping area that stores took part in).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    To steer the Rose Garden scenario towards a "prep" discussion.... DH and I are thinking of creating an outdoor living room in our carport. While it is really nice spending time outside now, we are thinking about December-January when our 2 college students will be living at home.

Disease vector considerations:
    - short term: Both girls have excellent access to Covid testing and will test before returning home. They will isolate and retest, but that won't happen by Thanksgiving so we will be celebrating that outside. I think it will be nice. Different, but ok.
    - longer term: The 3rd sister will be teaching 7th graders up until Xmas eve practically, and the 3 will gather over the months everyone is in town. I learned from the first shelter in place that I just cannot keep them apart. They need each other more than ever with reduced social outlets. So they need a place to do that safely in more inclement weather.

Air flow considerations:
    - The carport is open on one side (3-car) with walls on the other 3 sides. The walls alternate brick (load bearing) and wood panels with 2 foot gaps at ceiling and floor.

In light of the Rose Garden, I'm seriously doubting that this space will provide enough air flow. Of course, experts speculate transmission was more likely during the subsequent indoor reception, but still, I wonder if it is enough and if the effort is worthwhile. Is anyone else doing anything similar?

Restaurants around here are trying to come up with some sort of tent like option that might be similar.

Here, for my own back yard, I just think it will be too cold for anything useable that's largely outdoors. I'm pretty worried about how this is going to be when it gets cold again.
    Changing the subject... twice recently I have run past playgrounds, at two different locations, which are now open and full of children from different households playing together, sharing slides and climbing tubes, hugging and wrestling, no masks, no distancing. Since schools are now open I guess parents figure they might as well throw caution to the winds? Since yesterday we had 115 new cases in the county, it’s making me a little angry that our governor and others are pretending this is over when it’s not.

Public schools aren't open for in person schooling here yet, but there are various sports going on, and so I see groups of kids reasonably often. Some parents are doing pods where a smaller group of kids are getting together, but otherwise socially distancing, so perhaps (thinking positively) it's something like that?
    My mom, meanwhile, is desperate to get a flu shot, but the problem is she can’t get one without doing something much more risky than she has done previously - going to a building full of sick people and waiting for half an hour, then being within arm’s reach of a probably infected health care worker giving the shot. Since she’s completely isolated and isolation will prevent flu transmission as well as Covid, it is much less risky for her NOT to get a flu shot, but she’s hearing the news saying everyone should get one this year.

Is there not the "make an appt at Walgreens" option there?

Or drive through flu-shot events, as there are here?

If you make an appointment at a Walgreens here you will be lucky if you only wait half an hour in the waiting area. It doesn’t mean they will keep your appointment in a timely fashion. We have searched in vain for a drive-through event.

Seriously drive by the local Walgreens that has a 24 hr pharmacist about 9:30 on a Sunday night confirm there are 2 cars in the lot go in and get your shot.

Will be out in 10 minutes.

Lol... our last remaining 24 hr Walgreens went to limited hours after being held up one too many times! I don’t even know what people do when they have a medical emergency, I guess they drive downtown, I think there is still one there. Anyway the pharmacy closes at 5 pm on both Saturday and Sunday! It has caught me by surprise since they close at 9 pm most days.

Anyway, I found out “the shot nurse” was doing drive by but they don’t have the high dose senior shots. Neither does anyone else in town, they are out of them. And they say by the time they get senior shots back in stock, they will no longer offer the drive by.

I’m not personally that worried about it, since my mom literally lives in the middle of the woods two miles from the nearest human. The only reason she would need a flu shot is if she had a medical emergency and had to be taken to the hospital, in which case she would have other things to worry about. At present I’m gonna hang out and see if they do another drive by after getting senior shots in.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    To steer the Rose Garden scenario towards a "prep" discussion.... DH and I are thinking of creating an outdoor living room in our carport. While it is really nice spending time outside now, we are thinking about December-January when our 2 college students will be living at home.

Disease vector considerations:
    - short term: Both girls have excellent access to Covid testing and will test before returning home. They will isolate and retest, but that won't happen by Thanksgiving so we will be celebrating that outside. I think it will be nice. Different, but ok.
    - longer term: The 3rd sister will be teaching 7th graders up until Xmas eve practically, and the 3 will gather over the months everyone is in town. I learned from the first shelter in place that I just cannot keep them apart. They need each other more than ever with reduced social outlets. So they need a place to do that safely in more inclement weather.

Air flow considerations:
    - The carport is open on one side (3-car) with walls on the other 3 sides. The walls alternate brick (load bearing) and wood panels with 2 foot gaps at ceiling and floor.

In light of the Rose Garden, I'm seriously doubting that this space will provide enough air flow. Of course, experts speculate transmission was more likely during the subsequent indoor reception, but still, I wonder if it is enough and if the effort is worthwhile. Is anyone else doing anything similar?

Restaurants around here are trying to come up with some sort of tent like option that might be similar.

Here, for my own back yard, I just think it will be too cold for anything useable that's largely outdoors. I'm pretty worried about how this is going to be when it gets cold again.
    Changing the subject... twice recently I have run past playgrounds, at two different locations, which are now open and full of children from different households playing together, sharing slides and climbing tubes, hugging and wrestling, no masks, no distancing. Since schools are now open I guess parents figure they might as well throw caution to the winds? Since yesterday we had 115 new cases in the county, it’s making me a little angry that our governor and others are pretending this is over when it’s not.

Public schools aren't open for in person schooling here yet, but there are various sports going on, and so I see groups of kids reasonably often. Some parents are doing pods where a smaller group of kids are getting together, but otherwise socially distancing, so perhaps (thinking positively) it's something like that?
    My mom, meanwhile, is desperate to get a flu shot, but the problem is she can’t get one without doing something much more risky than she has done previously - going to a building full of sick people and waiting for half an hour, then being within arm’s reach of a probably infected health care worker giving the shot. Since she’s completely isolated and isolation will prevent flu transmission as well as Covid, it is much less risky for her NOT to get a flu shot, but she’s hearing the news saying everyone should get one this year.

Is there not the "make an appt at Walgreens" option there?

Or drive through flu-shot events, as there are here?

If you make an appointment at a Walgreens here you will be lucky if you only wait half an hour in the waiting area. It doesn’t mean they will keep your appointment in a timely fashion. We have searched in vain for a drive-through event.

Seriously drive by the local Walgreens that has a 24 hr pharmacist about 9:30 on a Sunday night confirm there are 2 cars in the lot go in and get your shot.

Will be out in 10 minutes.

Lol... our last remaining 24 hr Walgreens went to limited hours after being held up one too many times! I don’t even know what people do when they have a medical emergency, I guess they drive downtown, I think there is still one there. Anyway the pharmacy closes at 5 pm on both Saturday and Sunday! It has caught me by surprise since they close at 9 pm most days.

Anyway, I found out “the shot nurse” was doing drive by but they don’t have the high dose senior shots. Neither does anyone else in town, they are out of them. And they say by the time they get senior shots back in stock, they will no longer offer the drive by.

I’m not personally that worried about it, since my mom literally lives in the middle of the woods two miles from the nearest human. The only reason she would need a flu shot is if she had a medical emergency and had to be taken to the hospital, in which case she would have other things to worry about. At present I’m gonna hang out and see if they do another drive by after getting senior shots in.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I wish.