What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    *Horse blinders* ...living, loving (trying to) our lives, our days!

Ahh, my aunt who I havent spoken with in a while, who's son (my cousin) died a few years ago (29 y/o) said to me yesterday "enjoy your day!" and I obviously extrapolated it into a whole "thing"...like ya - (my days have been hard and 2.5 hours sleep type stuff, shakey, not being able to talk proper...but *I'm not dead yet!!!* Guilt? Hope? Alive?)

..been my 'mantra' ..."enjoy your day"...all day...anxiety was in check (ish)...maybe b/c of the fatigue?

Was thinking insomnia and fatigue may be the answer...b/c I cant even concentrate enough to care anymore?
    ...Day 4

I see my 76 yo sister surviving on about the same amount of sleep as you're getting. Girl, you need MORE!!! Seriously. :( She can hardly string together enough words to make a sentence. May your life change soon to allow you more of a 'normal' life. ((Hugs))
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    (Coming from an introvert who hates being outside for more than 90 seconds...) What a great, happy place club parties around the world are going to be once the pandemic is finally over.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've been working on this project for a long time. The original PI in charge left for a new job about 6 months in, and they put this fresh out of post doc new guy in charge of it. I don't think he is getting the supervision he needs from the other scientists, and IMO he isn't reaching out to them for help as much as he should be (which I have mentioned to both parties to no avail). I have more on the job experience, but he has a higher degree and higher position. Alot of his ideas and conclusions just make no sense to me, so I feel like I should question him when that happens, but then I wonder if he feels like I'm a giant pain in the *kitten* and keep undermining him or whatever. I just hate this project and this situation....
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I've been working on this project for a long time. The original PI in charge left for a new job about 6 months in, and they put this fresh out of post doc new guy in charge of it. I don't think he is getting the supervision he needs from the other scientists, and IMO he isn't reaching out to them for help as much as he should be (which I have mentioned to both parties to no avail). I have more on the job experience, but he has a higher degree and higher position. Alot of his ideas and conclusions just make no sense to me, so I feel like I should question him when that happens, but then I wonder if he feels like I'm a giant pain in the *kitten* and keep undermining him or whatever. I just hate this project and this situation....

Not sure how to say this nicely...but, umm, graduate degrees don't guarantee the holder of said degree has sense. Especially beyond the scope of their degree and "book learning." Yet...

Perhaps get to know him as a person and his thought processes. He may be bringing a fresh POV to your workplace, which is cool but there's a lot to be said for your experience.

Neither of you is to be underestimated.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options

It would be a failure on his part to not see your questions and concerns as opportunities. If he is a true leader then he should address your questions and see them as grow for him and yourself.

And I agree with MaltedTea; just because someone has a higher degree doesn't mean they can use that knowledge in a real life application. Not to mention social skills; I've met plenty of PHd peoples who cannot interact with the general population. The new guy we hired just a couple of weeks ago fresh out of university didn't know how to address an envelop or how to email an open spreadsheet.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    You can have the answers to everything but still not be able to do anything. B)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

It would be a failure on his part to not see your questions and concerns as opportunities. If he is a true leader then he should address your questions and see them as grow for him and yourself.

And I agree with MaltedTea; just because someone has a higher degree doesn't mean they can use that knowledge in a real life application. Not to mention social skills; I've met plenty of PHd peoples who cannot interact with the general population. The new guy we hired just a couple of weeks ago fresh out of university didn't know how to address an envelop or how to email an open spreadsheet.

All of us on our team have multiple colaege degrez.... Me Tew!

I work directly with two of them.

One is one of the smartest people I've ever worked with; the other is so stupid I don't even know how he dresses himself in the morning.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,665 Member
    Options

Seriously!? Lol, thats insane...although I'm about to go see if my kid knows how to address an envelope 😂, its something we rarely have to do anymore.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options

Seriously!? Lol, thats insane...although I'm about to go see if my kid knows how to address an envelope 😂, its something we rarely have to do anymore.

Yeah I was taken aback as well, but I also realize the disconnect is that most millenials have never had to address an envelop or write in cursive.
  • Miss_Chiev0us
    Miss_Chiev0us Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    The bbq chicken pineapple pizza I'll be eating for dinner.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

@Miss_Chiev0us

Pineapple on Pizza -- noted.

Question: Beans in Chili / Yes or No ? (answer very carefully)
  • Miss_Chiev0us
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

@Miss_Chiev0us

Kidney beans and cornbread.

What do I win?
  • Motorsheen
    Options

@Miss_Chiev0us

What do I win?

what do you win ?

.... I can't post it here; this is a family oriented site.

rest assured, it's fantastic !! (and stain proof)
  • Miss_Chiev0us
    edited October 2020
    Options

@Miss_Chiev0us

What do I win?

what do you win ?

.... I can't post it here; this is a family oriented site.

rest assured, it's fantastic !! (and stain proof)

😂😂😂

Eta: extra beans then
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options

Yeah I was taken aback as well, but I also realize the disconnect is that most millenials have never had to address an envelop or write in cursive.

Uh... this baffles my mind and I am a millennial... barely. Then again, I write "snail mail" often and have to sign paperwork all the time as well as teach my eight year old how to write cursive for his homework, so... **shrugs**
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

Uh... this baffles my mind and I am a millennial... barely. Then again, I write "snail mail" often and have to sign paperwork all the time as well as teach my eight year old how to write cursive for his homework, so... **shrugs**

I am baffled as well. But, I am an old soul for a millennial, I still use a checkbook and everything!
  • brustmannzwei
    brustmannzwei Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options

I am baffled as well. But, I am an old soul for a millennial, I still use a checkbook and everything!

It is what it is but dang if I don’t get torqued up about people not writing thank you notes.