What foods are just not worth the # of calories?

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,342 Member
    Tortilla chips
    Cheese Dip
    Flour tortillas
    Restaurant cooked fajitas
    Hotdog or Hamburger Buns (a piece of regular bread works fine)
    Soda
    Coffe Shop drinks (can make an almost calorie free chai latte at home)
    Ice Cream (I do the yogurt/pudding thing and prefer it now)
    Glasses of milk <<<(this one I sincerely miss. I could easily drink a gallon of milk ever 2-3 days)
    Bottled salad dressings
    Croutons
    Candy
    Anything by Pepperidge Farms
    Red Velvet cake
    Sausages (have found a great 80 cal chicken sausage brand but OMG do I miss brats and smokies)
    Butter (Olivio or Blue Bonnet work just fine)
    Cupcakes from the Cupcake Wars winner less than a block away
    Cheese
    Most restaurant meals, outside my “go-to’s

I have reversed course the past few months and started making room for bread- either Healthy Life (70 cal/2slices) for quick sandwiches or homemade bread that I can control portion size on. And besides it’s sooooo good!
  • brittkd14
    brittkd14 Posts: 22 Member
    Most pastas. It’s a texture thing.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    There are many ways to answer this question because for me it is often situational. I do not eat a lot of bread because it has no satiety value for the calories spent. This includes light bread that is lower calories. Normally I would rather spend those calories on something that controls my hunger. However, if I want a sandwich I will make it work.

However, in the spirit of the thread:

Milkshakes. I can moderate them just fine so really a couple of sips is fine but since I have no interest in making them at home I either have to share the smallest one I can get or waste it.

Funnel Cake - Outgrew them I suppose. Had one on vacation last year and stopped eating it.

Most FF Burgers - If I just need some calories and I do not want grilled chicken I will get one but I seldom want one.

Real Ice Cream - too sweet. I prefer Halo.

PB2 - No thanks, if I want peanut butter just give it to me

Whoppers candy - outgrew it too apparently

Canned soup - I just hate almost all of them.

Frozen dinners - in a pinch but even the light ones are pretty caloric for the 3 bites of food you get.

Almost anything with reheated chicken breast in it - too dry

Almost anything with chicken from a crock pot recipe - cooked beyond dry and into shoe leather

Country/chicken Fried Steak - um, no

Pre-made meatballs - do the intentionally make them flavorless?

Soda - too sweet now

Anything that has artificial sweetener - even if the remaining ingredients added up to 5 it would not be worth it for the chemical flavor that I taste

Hazelnut anything

Pumpkin spice anything but pumpkin pie and even that once every 5 years or so

Savory dishes with cinnamon in them

so detailed. love it haha
  • pancakerunner
    edited October 2020
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Nothing is off the table for me. That's how I got here in the first place. We can learn to moderate ourselves with food.

I don't think that's the point. I can moderate almost everything just fine, including every item I put on my list.

What the OP was asking for was food that you think is not good enough to be worth spending the amount of calories it has.

Basically, what do you think is a waste of calories?

Right. Like I would rather have X calories of a peanut butter shake than X calories of a syrup-sweetened coffee
  • pancakerunner
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Learning moderation is great. But this isn't about foods being 'off the table'. No foods are forbidden for me, but there are still foods that aren't worth the calories to me.

It's like my salary: I could spend it on many things, but I'd rather spend it on useful things (nutrients, food that are filling) or pleasurable (tasty) or (ideally) both. For some foods, the usefulness/pleasure to calorie ratio is too poor and I rarely consume them, because I'd rather spend my 'money' on something else.

exactly :)
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Regular coffee creamer, like International Delight or Coffee Mate.
  • distortedvision78
    distortedvision78 Posts: 43 Member
    Nuts & Dried fruit mix. Rich in Monounsaturated fat but far too highly calorific.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I gave you all likes and I'd give you double ones if I could but I can't reconcile what foods are not worth it vs. new ones we've found that are worth it or imagining what would we do if we had the calories. I have them and it's all worth it. A bite of this and a bite of that.

That doesn't mean I want people dropping off food for me to eat in large quantities or bringing me over their half-eaten boxes of chocolates. I want to be free to have any and everything for the rest of my life. I think quest bars are cute and adorable. Snickers, too. It's taken me years to rid myself of all or nothing thinking.

If you've ever had a big weight loss and eaten it all back, had to pick yourself back UP and find your way back you know what I'm talking about. I did completely the opposite of what I did the last time. I changed everything UP.
    I wanted to answer this because there may be someone out there like me who needs to give themselves permission to eat whatever they want and track their data points.
  • SLL1803
    SLL1803 Posts: 49 Member

“Fruit” juices. Aka sugar water with “natural” flavoring haha

What you describe isn't labelled as fruit juice in most places.

• SLL1803
    SLL1803 Posts: 49 Member
    Fruit juice - by which I mean fruit juice, not fruit juice drink. I'd rather eat fruit.

Smoothies. Waste of good fruit.

Shop bought cake.

Fake ice cream like Halo top.
  • pancakerunner
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    I gave you all likes and I'd give you double ones if I could but I can't reconcile what foods are not worth it vs. new ones we've found that are worth it or imagining what would we do if we had the calories. I have them and it's all worth it. A bite of this and a bite of that.

That doesn't mean I want people dropping off food for me to eat in large quantities or bringing me over their half-eaten boxes of chocolates. I want to be free to have any and everything for the rest of my life. I think quest bars are cute and adorable. Snickers, too. It's taken me years to rid myself of all or nothing thinking.

If you've ever had a big weight loss and eaten it all back, had to pick yourself back UP and find your way back you know what I'm talking about. I did completely the opposite of what I did the last time. I changed everything UP.
    I wanted to answer this because there may be someone out there like me who needs to give themselves permission to eat whatever they want and track their data points.

Just wondering why you think quest bars are "cute and adorable"? Do you think all protein bars are cute and adorable or just quest bars? What about them is cute? I've just never heard anyone describe a quest bar (or any bar in general unless it was mini) that way so I am genuinely curious.

I was wondering the same thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Pretty much anything that is just meh...most highly processed food goods and ready meals, commercial baked goods, fast food, mass produced sodas, most candies, most national chain franchises, etc...
  • pancakerunner
    Sweet potato casserole is actually good (as a dessert)