Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Jumping in on the mask usage thing. Like kshama, I live primarily in Massachusetts. Here, you are not getting in a store without a mask. Grocery store, walmart, and other large stores, have a monitor at the door checking for masks, and counting bodies so as to not exceed numbers. I went into a Marshalls a few days ago, and not only was there a monitor, but she had a whole supply station of sanitizers, and such (maybe even spare masks). I went into Walgreens yesterday. Another customer made it into the store about 4 feet before the clerk was yelling across the store. The man started apologizing and pulled his mask from his pocket and put it on.

Ironically, over the summer we "Massachusetts" people were being shut out of Maine (unless could meet their restrictions), because we were so dangerous. Well the whole thing was rediculous from my point of view. Since we have a private home there, we were were able to go up, meet their guidelines, and could observe. When we did go out, there was hardly anyone was wearing masks, Social distancing was rare. I saw people entering stores with no mask and finally one time I asked the monitor about the previous person with no mask. He said they won't stop them because they will be accosted. In contrast, here in Massachusetts, I did a walk early this morning without a mask (we are relatively rural here). As I went through the wooded cut through, a woman was coming the other way. I stepped off the path so we would have at least 5 feet in the open air for the half second we passed. She veered an additional 5 feet off the other side of the path to stay away from me. That is the norm that I see here. Hmmm, Massachusetts vs Maine. And they were worried about us. Yes, Maine made it through the summer relatively unscathed, but the tourist industry was sorely hurt. I think they might have done equally well if they just actually inforced the mask, social distancing type policies, and allowed tourists in to support their businesses.

Wal-Mart in TN has people at the door also, but they are just standing there. Theoretically they probably are supposed to make sure people wear masks, but I see mask-less customers walk right past them without getting stopped.

At our local Walmart, when they were enforcing/encouraging the mask mandate, people would enter the store with a mask, then take it off as soon as they were past the entrance.

I think some did that here too, but even when there was a county ordinance requiring masks, I observed people walk right past the Wal-Mart door employees without a mask.

There are some people that do that here too and I assume just about everywhere. The municipal stance is that the store should inform them about the mask bylaw, but not try to physically enforce it by preventing them from entering the store. The teenager working part time at Walmart isn't paid enough to have to bounce nutjobs.

And he's not packing.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    You are correct kshama. I've managed with the help of a nutritionist (BANT registered, UK only) to reverse/repair the cause of many of my reactions. I was seen at family weddings providing my own food and moving my mask to take bites. I'm so relieved those days are mostly gone. I can smell the neighbours laundry without having to go inside. I can/could even walk down the laundry aisle. I've made our masks using the others as a pattern.

Heavy printers ink still plays Havok though. One of these personally addressed information things which try to be funny. I was aware of a slight pong when I opened the envelope, then read the letter. I reviewed the booklet, it looked innocuous on the cover, a fair ground, out-swinging ride, In side I saw chunks of crab, white fish and eel being flung into a medieval cooking pot. I was expecting something to do with dilution. I closed it quickly, then thought I should read the text, prepared for the same picture to see women jumping and diving into turgid water!! the item went in the recycling bin. You think your ok and then................... It really messed with my brain.

Barbra, so it was the Tyne Bridge. I hope todays news will benefit yours among other areas. I'm down south with family spread through the north, Yorkshire feels like "home" even the next two generations have felt the pull. It really hurts to hear of all the cases. Fortunately, we have few in comparison though it can change all too easily. It was hard when the world and his wife came to our beaches which locals hardly use or mostly out of season, leaving 13 tons of rubbish one weekend back in the summer. A new child car-seat was in the heap. Had the car been stolen for time away then the seat ditched before going home!!!

I mentioned the News Print episode because things should not cause an assault on our faculties. Just because you have grown through and overcome various episodes does not mean you can't be taken off guard, as I was. Life right now is enough of a trial to have to struggle as you have; wanting to comply in wearing a mask. Please find one of those badges, keep it in your bag, to give you an alternative for if you can't go through it all again one day. I hope that day never comes. At least you would have an option rather than walk out. BTW we are both still winners. I've not mentioned the despicable conversation, I reheard when I realised the bits of meat were, "women". I hate that word because of the 1950's to '80's degrading, paternalistic attitudes.

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Jumping in on the mask usage thing. Like kshama, I live primarily in Massachusetts. Here, you are not getting in a store without a mask. Grocery store, walmart, and other large stores, have a monitor at the door checking for masks, and counting bodies so as to not exceed numbers. I went into a Marshalls a few days ago, and not only was there a monitor, but she had a whole supply station of sanitizers, and such (maybe even spare masks). I went into Walgreens yesterday. Another customer made it into the store about 4 feet before the clerk was yelling across the store. The man started apologizing and pulled his mask from his pocket and put it on.

Ironically, over the summer we "Massachusetts" people were being shut out of Maine (unless could meet their restrictions), because we were so dangerous. Well the whole thing was rediculous from my point of view. Since we have a private home there, we were were able to go up, meet their guidelines, and could observe. When we did go out, there was hardly anyone was wearing masks, Social distancing was rare. I saw people entering stores with no mask and finally one time I asked the monitor about the previous person with no mask. He said they won't stop them because they will be accosted. In contrast, here in Massachusetts, I did a walk early this morning without a mask (we are relatively rural here). As I went through the wooded cut through, a woman was coming the other way. I stepped off the path so we would have at least 5 feet in the open air for the half second we passed. She veered an additional 5 feet off the other side of the path to stay away from me. That is the norm that I see here. Hmmm, Massachusetts vs Maine. And they were worried about us. Yes, Maine made it through the summer relatively unscathed, but the tourist industry was sorely hurt. I think they might have done equally well if they just actually inforced the mask, social distancing type policies, and allowed tourists in to support their businesses.

Wal-Mart in TN has people at the door also, but they are just standing there. Theoretically they probably are supposed to make sure people wear masks, but I see mask-less customers walk right past them without getting stopped.

At our local Walmart, when they were enforcing/encouraging the mask mandate, people would enter the store with a mask, then take it off as soon as they were past the entrance.

I think some did that here too, but even when there was a county ordinance requiring masks, I observed people walk right past the Wal-Mart door employees without a mask.

There are some people that do that here too and I assume just about everywhere. The municipal stance is that the store should inform them about the mask bylaw, but not try to physically enforce it by preventing them from entering the store. The teenager working part time at Walmart isn't paid enough to have to bounce nutjobs.

Over the summer, when we were up in Maine, I saw Walmart employees working with no visible mask, or down around the neck. Again, not the case in Mass.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

In this case, they didn't inform the maskless customers about the mask mandate either.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member

In this case, they didn't inform the maskless customers about the mask mandate either.

We have a municipal mask mandate for all indoor public spaces here and there is signage to that effect on all entry doors. I've seen 100% compliance here so no need for anyone to attempt to enforce it, People that you'd think would have breathing difficulties like visibly elderly/infirm were voluntarily wearing masks in public long before it was mandatory. I haven't seen or heard of any small children freaking out about wearing one, although I have seen kids who didn't want to take it off because they were rather chuffed with their new fashion accessory.

The signage is getting ridiculous though. Most entry doors are plastered with an array of signs like "do not enter if you have these symptoms" and "what to do if you have these symptoms" and "please practice these hygiene measures" and "please distance yourself from other shoppers" and "masks must be worn" and a few others like capacity limits and so forth. I'll admit that I've never stopped to read all of them in their entirety, it would take a good 5 minutes at some stores.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

We have a county mandate about masks in places of business, and the law here is that it has to be posted, and the business can be fined if they serve someone without a mask, but the employees are not required to confront people directly.

My husband got a dude and his wife and kid kicked out of Kroger in Collierville for not wearing masks. He wouldn’t have bothered but 1) maskless grade school age kid was screaming at the top of his lungs in the middle of the produce department and had been there 10 minutes and my husband needed produce, and 2) it was the second shopping trip in a row where he had seen this same guy without a mask - the first time he was alone, this time he had family. I guess we just shop at the same time. The first time my husband said to a passing manager, “I don’t know what your policy is about enforcing the mask mandate but there’s a guy over there without a mask,” and the manager said, “I’ll talk to him.” This time, he went and got a manager and brought him over. Manager offered free masks, was turned down, and said, “You all need to leave.” And that was all it took, dude left with wife and screaming kid trailing behind. So, apart from his nasty brat spraying germs all over the produce, victory I guess?

Yes, back when the mask mandate was in effect here, it just had to be posted at the entrance. Wal-Mart as a corporate policy, I understand, has people at the doors with the intent of enforcing their policy. But here, they don't do it.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

We have a county mandate about masks in places of business, and the law here is that it has to be posted, and the business can be fined if they serve someone without a mask, but the employees are not required to confront people directly.

My husband got a dude and his wife and kid kicked out of Kroger in Collierville for not wearing masks. He wouldn’t have bothered but 1) maskless grade school age kid was screaming at the top of his lungs in the middle of the produce department and had been there 10 minutes and my husband needed produce, and 2) it was the second shopping trip in a row where he had seen this same guy without a mask - the first time he was alone, this time he had family. I guess we just shop at the same time. The first time my husband said to a passing manager, “I don’t know what your policy is about enforcing the mask mandate but there’s a guy over there without a mask,” and the manager said, “I’ll talk to him.” This time, he went and got a manager and brought him over. Manager offered free masks, was turned down, and said, “You all need to leave.” And that was all it took, dude left with wife and screaming kid trailing behind. So, apart from his nasty brat spraying germs all over the produce, victory I guess?

If a grade school age kid was screaming uncontrollably in a grocery store wonder if the child had special needs? In that case can't call the kid a brat, but should be left at home.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    jo_nz wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    They are talking letting him out of the hospital tomorrow. That would be really dumb to do. He needs to be in there longer for his own good.

Are there any rules governing this? In my country if you're isolated because of a positive test, you aren't discharged until you've had two consecutive negative tests a few days apart.

Here in Ontario unless you require hospitalisation due to the need for a respirator or the like then most patients are expected to quarantine themselves in their homes if able.

We practice a rigid difference between quarantine and isolation.

Quarantine - for persons who may have been exposed due to travel or interaction with a known case. That can be institutional or self quarantine depending on the circumstances.

Isolation - in a designated facility for persons who've tested positive. No discharge until satisfying certain criteria as mentioned earlier. By the way, that facility is NOT the hospital, as we're doing all we can to protect other sick and vulnerable persons in there.

Interesting! Ours our quite distinct too, but the terms are other way around!

Those returning from overseas go into "managed isolation" facilities until 2 weeks have passed, and two negative tests returned.

Those with covid-19 go into "quarantine" facilities (or transferred to hospitals if needed).

If a person has a cold and gets a covid test, or is potentially a contact of a case, then they go into "self-isolation" while waiting on test results.

Yes, I enjoy the quirks of language between one country and another. Anyway, the concept is the same.
  • TonyB0588
    @rheddmobile I've been seeing pretty much the same thing at the school near me. It looks like they're staggering recess so it's just one class at a time. It must be like herding cats to keep all the kids 6 feet apart while playing. It doesn't look like the teachers are having a great success at it, which I really can't blame them for. 2 or 3 adults keeping perfect control of the personal space of 30 kids over a 4 acre field? The adults are losing that battle every single time.

We've hired parents to assist teachers in the schools with enforcing mask-wearing and physical distancing.
  • TonyB0588
    Massachusetts Governor Baker announced that he is not canceling Halloween this year, and this is what he said. “And the reason we’re not canceling Halloween is because that would have turned into thousands of indoor Halloween parties, which would have been a heck of a lot worse for public safety and for the spread of the virus than outdoor, organized, and supervised trick-or-treating.”

He’s probably right, but if I had a child that age, I’d probably arrange some kind of virtual trick or treating event. Let them dress up, get treats they want, and hope for back to normal next year. Make it a special day and avoid possible exposure to other people you have no idea whether or not they’ve been exposed. It’s sad, but so many people have had to lose out on special events this year. With all the holidays coming up, a lot of occasions are going to be very different for many of us. 😷

In my neighborhood, houses are on a minimum of a acre of land. I am going to set up at the end of the driveway, with large table, pre-quarentined treat bags and sanitizing stations. Hopefully parents with be responsible for monitoring their kids the rest of the time. Hoping for no rain!

Very good. Many people of course don't have that luxury of living on an acre of land. There would be those on small lots, and some in cramped apartments in high-rise buildings. Recipe for disaster in COVID times.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

If a grade school age kid was screaming uncontrollably in a grocery store wonder if the child had special needs? In that case can't call the kid a brat, but should be left at home.

Honestly while it’s possible I get the idea these were “free thinkers” of the worst sort who were opposed to disciplining children. Not the usual stereotype of mask refusers, they were dressed like some sort of extreme hipsters. Not the kid’s fault - but then that’s true of most brats - brats are made, not born.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited October 2020
    Italy is on it's second wave right now. Summer COVID cases were way down and everyone got complacent. The government does not want to go into another total Lockdown, and so are tightening up restrictions in hopes that they can stop the upward trend. Walking around central Rome on Sunday, it was shocking to see how many businesses were closed (totally gone) on a busy street. I would say a third of storefronts were abandoned.

Masks are mandatory everywhere, even in the open, unless you are running or biking, or very far from anyone else. The fine is a minimum of $400 --max $1000. I'm seeing mask compliance at 95% just walking around. Even young people in a group were wearing them. I'm sorry for teens (and everyone) because it's a real pain, but seeing them make the sacrifice and consider other people who are fragile just made me so grateful to them. Our vaccine is in production and should be ready by Christmas. Of course it will take awhile to see if it really cuts down on cases and deaths. Flu vaccines should be ready soon and there's a big push to get it. My husband and I got the one-time pneumonia vaccine last week.

That is in line with WHO's current position.

WHO warns against COVID-19 lockdowns due to economic damage

https://foxnews.com/world/who-coronavirus-lockdowns-economic-damage