WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    Barbara - Congratulations on the Wii weight! Happy to read Joe is feeling better.

I too am the housekeeper. I spend a couple or three hours each Saturday or Sunday and that seems to do it.

The childhood scents take me right back.
    I have one scent that just reminds me of the perfect morning.
    It was a day school had cancelled because of road conditions. It was early March and had rained then froze so the driveway between my Grandparents house and our was pure ice. It was a bit warmer later in the morning so my Mom opened the window and I could immediately smell doughnuts my Grandmother was making. I remember crawling literally on my hands and knees to get to Grammie’s because it was too icy to stand. The smell of the spring air and those cooking doughnuts is a scent that has stuck with me all those years.

Suzi - I am with you, I don’t care for the microfibre cloths. I have gotten rid of the ones I had.

Allie - I hope you aren’t coming down with something with the chills, sometimes it’s just being tired that makes me chilled.

Heather - location is everything with decorations. I am not happy with some items on my shelves and have been mulling over what I can do to change it.

I need to do some cleaning today, and I need to see what we have for stock for Christmas ornaments. We are not attending any of the craft fairs this year as I don’t feel comfortable being out in the public, however I found one of our local craft stores is doing a craft show for a week. I stopped in yesterday to get some details, it doesn’t cost us anything to have our stuff displayed, she keeps 20% of our sales. We’ve decided we have nothing to lose and will put our ornaments there, all I have to do is an inventory and drop the stuff off and pick it up.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Love all the smell memories! I could associate with so many from childhood and could add more even as an adult. Such as: My mother-in-law always wore Chanel #5 and where ever she walked it wafted through the air, the smell of my young son's skin and hair on a warm day after playing, and a sense of the changing season just by the smell of the air around you.

Karen ~ Congrats on getting your mortgage paid off. It's a great feeling! :)

Welcome to all who have joined us!

Carol in GA

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,081 Member
    Good morning ladies! My favorite childhood smell is fresh cinnamon bread! I guess that would be my favorite taste as well!

Karen congratulations on paying off your mortgage! We paid ours off a few years ago didn't have a party but we did tell everybody that was close to us because we were so excited!

Kelly you're doing fantastic! I'm like you, I keep room for donuts and Coke whenever I want them as long as it's within my calories. It keeps me from binging, or going off the rails...

<3

Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,722 Member
    Michele.. I was starting to get kind of excited about a mortgage burning celebration but then I read this on Wikipedia and it took the wind out of my sails:

"Even when a mortgage is satisfied (“paid off”) at the conclusion of payments, throwing a party to celebrate is now generally considered gauche since the traditional paying off of a mortgage is no longer a standard rite of passage [source needed] It is now seen as bragging about one’s secure financial condition [source needed]. Modern advice columnists and etiquette experts generally advise against having mortgage burning parties attended by anyone other than immediate family.”

:/:/:/

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Have your party!! It's a huge accomplishment in today's world.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,127 Member
    Katla - I use the IP almost every day. Today I precooked some baby potatoes for sauteeing, then I cooked the fennel. It is in there waiting for a quick reheat. I make yoghurt every few days. Plus I cook curries, stews and tagines. Brown rice, which I can freeze. Chicken stock. Boiled eggs. I adore it. My technique is to use the absolute minimum of liquid for stews.

KJ - The Weald and Downland Museum is about 30 miles away. It is a collection of rescued old houses and barns from across the area. They put on demos of breadmaking, butter making etc. A lot of school visits. The Repair Shop must be in one of the old barns and is purely for the TV.
    On another note, on passing Dave Gilmour's house yesterday we noticed he now has huge trees in his courtyard. :D

My friend Gwendolen is coming on Tuesday. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    I need to do some cleaning today, and I need to see what we have for stock for Christmas ornaments. We are not attending any of the craft fairs this year as I don’t feel comfortable being out in the public, however I found one of our local craft stores is doing a craft show for a week. I stopped in yesterday to get some details, it doesn’t cost us anything to have our stuff displayed, she keeps 20% of our sales. We’ve decided we have nothing to lose and will put our ornaments there, all I have to do is an inventory and drop the stuff off and pick it up.

Tracey in Edmonton

Tracey, can you post pictures of some of your ornaments you have made? I love to see peoples crafty work.
    Working on former mother in laws Christmas tree wall hanging this weekend. Fun to be sewing something other than masks.
    Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Katla That is so sad that you had to endure such. I love air-dried clothes smell except in smokey conditions.

Karen That is great paying off your mortgage. I had mine paid off by age 28 and it wasn't till I got sick 20 years ago that I had to refinance to remodel and pay bills. I refinanced it a few years ago again to make several needed repairs and pay off my car. Now I will have it paid off at age 97 but it is the only loan I have and it is a low monthly payment. The sad thing is we never really own our homes because of property taxes which are getting crazy here.

Barbara Sure glad Joe feels better. That has to help you a lot. Threatening one's hippie status with tough love does wonders.

Mary Yes, the smell of cinnamon bread is one of my favorites.

Carol Some of those old perfumes were the best.

Tracey The smell of donut and cinnamon rolls brings back memories of a small bakery near where I grew up. Chocolate donuts and gooey cinnamon rolls were my favorites for smell and taste.

SuzieQ I always use lintless cotton rags to do the final wipe, even on my glasses.
  • dlfk202000
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Debbie - I love my garden, too. This home has the smallest garden space of anyplace I’ve lived. I enjoy every bit of it. This year we’ve had a hard time with deer eating my plants. :grumble:

Katla in misty NW Oregon

No deer here as we are in town (my parents have problems with them at their place but they plant so much that usually not too big a problem. We do have raccoons, squirrels, skunks and possums that wander through. Only problem I had a few years ago, not sure if it was squirrels or rats or what but something kept eating my cucumber plants after they had started to really produce, ate a small spot, right at ground level, killing the plant. lost half my plants. Now I put netting all around them. Helps keep the feral cat out too as I have my catnip planted in the same raised bed this year. My smallest garden has to be the one when I lived on base with hubby #1. Just a few tiny planters. The only time I didn't have a garden was the six months in Mobile- got there July 1st so too late to plant. Planned on having a big garden the coming summer but thankfully we got transferred close to home that Dec.
    Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    Katla - I use the IP almost every day. Today I precooked some baby potatoes for sauteeing, then I cooked the fennel. It is in there waiting for a quick reheat. I make yoghurt every few days. Plus I cook curries, stews and tagines. Brown rice, which I can freeze. Chicken stock. Boiled eggs. I adore it. My technique is to use the absolute minimum of liquid for stews.

KJ - The Weald and Downland Museum is about 30 miles away. It is a collection of rescued old houses and barns from across the area. They put on demos of breadmaking, butter making etc. A lot of school visits. The Repair Shop must be in one of the old barns and is purely for the TV.
    On another note, on passing Dave Gilmour's house yesterday we noticed he now has huge trees in his courtyard. :D

My friend Gwendolen is coming on Tuesday. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I love my pressure cooker too- It did take me well over a year to actually try it- now use it almost every day. I did a Asian flavored pork tenderloin. It was frozen so took a little time to come to pressure but cooking time was just 6 min, let it natural release and rest a little longer, sliced it thin and let it sit in the hot broth until we were ready to eat- that thing was so tender.(the broth was soy sauce/mirin/garlic/ginger and a little coffee because I had some handy and wanted a little more broth). I use that combination for Asian pulled pork or chicken. A nice change from regular pulled pork.
    Ribs and chicken leg/thighs cooked in the pressure cooker then put in the air fryer to crisp up.
    I use both the pressure cooker and the air fryer daily- the oven doesn't get used much.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,127 Member
    edited October 2020
    When I separated from my ex we sold the house and got rid of the mortgage. I was 45/6 . My mother drilled into me to invest in bricks and mortar, We bought a share of a house in London in1971. I was 21. We had the basement apartment which became a building site. :o
    The properties we bought and renovated cost me my sanity and our marriage, but it was so worth it. To be mortgage free at the age of 46. :) Believe me, we went through absolute hell. I had two nervous breakdowns living in filthy ruined shells with no bathroom or kitchen with two babies and a stillbirth, but the eventual financial freedom was worth the agony. I can’t imagine paying today's rents or mortgages.
    It's hard to explain to people the hell we went through, but I feel so at peace now.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Snowflake1968
    Something messed up when I tried to put them all in a spoiler.
    The scenes in the spoiler the top one with the lighter sky, I was inspired by a picture that Penny from the North Pole had posted of her sky at noon when I coloured it.

Tracey

• dlfk202000
    Debbie - this is a sampling of the ornaments we have made. My husband designs and burns the design, I colour or paint them, put the backing and loops on. sixufkw1kolm.jpeg
    93nrk1948vwq.jpeg
    img
    he1zmzsm40u1.jpeg
    rvpbjejf77cs.jpeg

very cute
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2020
    Debbie - Regarding deer in town, we live in the center of town. So do the deer. :ohwell:

Debbie & Heather - DH loves the Instant Pot, too. I’m the cast-iron fan. We trade off so that we each get to have our own favorite pot once in a while. :star:

Snowflake – I love Santa’s ornament. It is charming. The three barns catch my heart in a different way. Wonderful! :heart:

We’re having a good day at home. We managed to unblock the shower drain and that was a great improvement. DH did the skilled work and I was the go-for. (Go for screwdrivers to get the drain cover up. Go for better bent screwdriver to scrape yuck out of the drain. Go for coffee . . .) :wink:

Have a great day!

Katla in NW Oregon
  • dlfk202000
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Debbie - Regarding deer in town, we live in the center of town. So do the deer. :ohwell:

Debbie & Heather - DH loves the Instant Pot, too. I’m the cast-iron fan. We trade off so that we each get to have our own favorite pot once in a while. :star:

Snowflake – I love Santa’s ornament. It is charming. The three barns catch my heart in a different way. Wonderful! :heart:

We’re having a good day at home. We managed to unblock the shower drain and that was a great improvement. DH did the skilled work and I was the go-for. (Go for screwdrivers to get the drain cover up. Go for better bent screwdriver to scrape yuck out of the drain. Go for coffee . . .) :wink:

Have a great day!

Katla in NW Oregon

If I could get my husband to cook, he could use anything he wanted!!! If he does dinner, the only tool he uses is his WALLET!! He always wants takeout/eat out. Once in a while he would bbq(has a new one that has sat for over a year and still hasn't used it) but when he did, I needed to do all the prep work on the meat, make the sides,etc- he would grill and that is it, but, that is better than nothing.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    1692345b5xqs8d6dr.gif
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Tracey Does he draw them with a pencil then burn the lines or just freehand draw with burning iron? Those are awesome! I love handmade things.
  • Snowflake1968
    Fae - He traces some and adds his own spin on them like the Santa’s house and barns, the mountains and such he free hands with the wood burner. We have been doing shows for the last three years but not this year because I don’t want to be in the public that much working at the home.

Tracey